Type keyword(s) to search

In Memoriam: Entertainment Industry Celebrity Deaths

Message added by Mr. Sparkle,

Reminder:

This thread is for deaths of celebrities in the entertainment business only. No notices about politicians, please. 

• Start Topic

7 minutes ago, Vixenstud said:

Awww, so sorry to hear this.

RIP, sir.

I just realized that Adrienne Barbeau is the now that last surviving adult cast member! RIP, Mr. Macy but please keep taking good care of yourself Miss Barbeau! 

• Love 8
3 hours ago, Mindthinkr said:

Aww. I loved him on Maude and his smile was so infectious (especially when he was snarking). I was glad to know he had 97 years and with his wife at the end. 

I absolutely loved "Maude" and named my cat after her.  One of the most hilarious lines ever was when Maude said "Vivian and I are going to (what's her name's) funeral.  Are you coming?"  Without looking up from his newspaper, Walter responded "No.  I'm not hungry."

• LOL 2
  • Love 8
3 hours ago, Blergh said:

I guess it should be noted that Mr. Macy in 2015 had an interview in which he recounted the Maude episode in which  his character Walter becoming so belligerent as an alcoholic that he slapped his wife on the face then immediately went into a crying jag! Well, Mr. Macy (aged 93) in 2015 himself burst into tears recounting that. Whether this was due to him being shocked that his character had hit a woman, become such a destructive alcoholic and/or it somehow the scene hit a bit too close to Mr. Macy's offstage life I'm not sure but that somewhat impressed me. He ended his recollection by stating that he and Miss Arthur had previously choreographed the scene and he made sure to only slap her cheek and NOT her ear but he evidently STILL felt bad about having to have enacted that! 97 is a good age to reach (and it's good that he still had a good memory as late as age 93). RIP, Mr. Macy.

I watched that episode a few weeks ago. Still shocking even now, I can see why it upset him. 

97 is a good run. RIP Mr. Macy.

• Love 7
5 hours ago, Blergh said:

I guess it should be noted that Mr. Macy in 2015 had an interview in which he recounted the Maude episode in which  his character Walter becoming so belligerent as an alcoholic that he slapped his wife on the face then immediately went into a crying jag! Well, Mr. Macy (aged 93) in 2015 himself burst into tears recounting that. Whether this was due to him being shocked that his character had hit a woman, become such a destructive alcoholic and/or it somehow the scene hit a bit too close to Mr. Macy's offstage life I'm not sure but that somewhat impressed me. He ended his recollection by stating that he and Miss Arthur had previously choreographed the scene and he made sure to only slap her cheek and NOT her ear but he evidently STILL felt bad about having to have enacted that! 97 is a good age to reach (and it's good that he still had a good memory as late as age 93). RIP, Mr. Macy.

Just saw it on Youtube:

Always loved the name Maude.  If my Spooky hadn't minded, I would have named him Maude.....but, he said his middle name (Papa) was humiliating enough and swore to kill me if I did.

• Love 8

I was a regular viewer of the television program Maude.  I was in college at the time, and the movie theater in town had a midnight feature on Saturday nights.  It was usually a lesser known film that would appeal mostly to the college crowd, and many of us attended regularly.

One of my most memorable times at the midnight movie was when we went to see a film called Oh! Calcutta!  None of us had ever heard of this film, so you can imagine our surprise when the movie began and there was Bill Macy, who we knew as Maude's husband Walter, completely disrobing, along with the rest of the cast.  

I'm older than dirt, so it's been a lot of years and I don't remember the plot or much about the movie, but I do remember that through most, if not all of it, the entire cast was entirely nude.  Of course we considered ourselves to be part of the open minded college crowd, and the nudity didn't really bother any of us.  Except for Maude's husband. 

We talked later that it was like seeing your next door neighbor without his clothes because we felt we sort of knew him.  I still watched the television program after that, but it was always in the back of my mind that I knew Maude's husband much better than I really wanted to.  🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣

• LOL 13
  • Love 3
20 hours ago, SuprSuprElevated said:

He must be the reason that the convict's husband goes by William H.

Yes he probably is/was. SAG/AFTRA only allows a name to be used by 1 member. Anyone else who wants to use the same/a similar name, if it’s already in use, has to add an initial, like H; use another version of their first name (like the “formal” version of their first name, William, or another nickname for their formal name—like Billy, for example), change the spelling of their name(s), or find some other way to distinguish between others in SAG/AFTRA with the same/a similar name.

Oddly enough, according to his obit, & his Wikipedia page, Bill Macy was actually born with another name, Wolf Martin Garber. William H. Macy is using his birth name, William Hall Macy, Jr., as his professional name—only he’s reduced his middle name to the initial & dropped the “Jr.” suffix. Given that information, I’d say Bill Macy is the 1 who had to change his name for his work, but I dunno if it’s because his birth name wasn’t “right” for acting & someone advised him to change it, or because there was already a “Bill Macy” in SAG when he got his membership card.

Edited by BW Manilowe
To fix spacing. And to remove an unnecessary question mark.
  • Useful 6
  • Love 1

William H. Macy's first screen credit was in 1980 whereas the recently deceased Bill Macy's was in 1967. Hence, it's a virtually certainty that the younger Mr. Macy had had to use his former name due to the older Mr. Macy having already been a credited performer. I doubt that the elder Mr. Macy's death will spur the younger one to insist on being bill 'Bill' from this point on, though.

• Love 4

I enjoyed John Clarke's performances as Mickey Horton. I didn't realize that Melinda Clarke (I only recognize her face) was his daughter. Rest in peace, John "Jack" Clarke.

Edited by SimoneS
  • Love 4
2 minutes ago, GHScorpiosRule said:

Could you please state who you are talking about when providing the links? It’s difficult to figure out from the long and unclear urls.

Sorry.

Josep Elic, who acted in the movie One Flew Over The Cuckoo's Nest and Jerry Fogel, who was on the TV show Mother's Law.

• Useful 2
  • Love 1
4 hours ago, MikaelaArsenault said:

I've never even heard of him and had to look him up.

The hell?!

He was Pops in The Wayans Brothers! Friday! House Party! Boomerang! Jesus, he goes far back to The Richard Pryor Show!

Sorry to yell, but he was a fucking comedy legend and will be missed.

Rest in paradise, sir.

BANG BANG BANG!!!

• Love 16
26 minutes ago, Vixenstud said:

The hell?!

He was Pops in The Wayans Brothers! Friday! House Party! Boomerang! Jesus, he goes far back to The Richard Pryor Show!

Sorry to yell, but he was a fucking comedy legend and will be missed.

Rest in paradise, sir.

BANG BANG BANG!!!

I've heard of some of those, but never seen them.

Sorry.

• Love 2
40 minutes ago, MikaelaArsenault said:

I've heard of some of those, but never seen them.

Sorry.

Well, now you have a good amount of stuff to consider watching during any free time ahead and he's left a good comic legacy. RIP, Mr. Witherspoon.

• Love 4
2 hours ago, SimoneS said:

John Witherspoon was a funny guy. I have seen him so many different shows over the years.

Rest in peace, John.

I can't decide if he made me laugh hardest in Boomerang ("You got to coordinate") or in Hollywood Shuffle ("Hos gotta eat!"). Hell, do I need to decide?   RIP, Mr. Witherspoon. 

• Love 9

Whenever I thought of John Witherspoon, it was always in the Friday movies when he had bowel movement issues and would stink up the bathroom. 

R.I.P., Mr. Witherspoon, and may you forever shit with ease.  

• Love 7
14 minutes ago, Ohwell said:

Whenever I thought of John Witherspoon, it was always in the Friday movies when he had bowel movement issues and would stink up the bathroom. 

R.I.P., Mr. Witherspoon, and may you forever shit with ease.  

That and his monologue in the kitchen with Craig.  "Every time I'm in the kitchen, you in the kitchen..."  The way he is chomping on those grapes throughout the whole scene cracks me up.

• Love 7
19 minutes ago, Ohiopirate02 said:

That and his monologue in the kitchen with Craig.  "Every time I'm in the kitchen, you in the kitchen..."  The way he is chomping on those grapes throughout the whole scene cracks me up.

Ha!  That reminds of the scene immediately following the “coordinate” scene in Boomerang is a sit down dinner scene where apparently his lines were almost all completely improvised and he was smacking on chitlins. Nobody knew what he was gonna say and at one point Martin Lawrence’s character does a wine spit-take —a real, not scripted reaction —because he was being so outrageous.  The scene wasn’t supposed to make the final cut of the movie but supposedly Eddie Murphy loved it so much they put it in.

• Love 7
8 minutes ago, MikaelaArsenault said:

I'll bet he never imagined back then that he'd outlive the performers playing the teenaged Keith and the small child Tracy . It wasn't my fave sitcom ever but it had its moments and I liked the idea of a family working together to make a (then) new kind of living with every member helping make important decisions but their mother's rulings being final even if they  didn't agree with them so RIP, Mr. Slade. 

• Love 5

This person prepared a cool compilation of John's best moments, from The Richard Pryor Show to The Boondocks....even includes the hysterical 'My Love Goes Bang Bang Bang' song from The Wayans Brothers.

Damn, I'm gonna miss him.

Edited by Vixenstud
  • Love 12