Type keyword(s) to search

In Memoriam: Entertainment Industry Celebrity Deaths

Message added by Mr. Sparkle,

Reminder:

This thread is for deaths of celebrities in the entertainment business only. No notices about politicians, please. 

• Start Topic

Got the news late on Ms. Carroll.   What an icon.   So many firsts (that really given the time should not have been first thank you very much).   One strong woman.   She did it all and did it so well.  

• Love 19
1 hour ago, AimingforYoko said:

Cream was only together for a short time, but they made the most of it. R.I.P.

Yeah, this was one of those where I was unaware he was still with us. I love that the obits still call him "flamboyant". It's 2019, we can dispense with the euphemisms.

I had the same reaction about Rip Taylor - I thought he had died years ago.  

• Love 5

Not a great years for "Rips". Are there any Rips left ? Or is that a name that's has it's time ?

Rip Taylor was the guy who always threw confetti, right ? I seem to remember that, but I don't remember when or on what show he would have done it on ?

• Love 2
6 hours ago, willco said:

Not a great years for "Rips". Are there any Rips left ? Or is that a name that's has it's time ?

Rip Taylor was the guy who always threw confetti, right ? I seem to remember that, but I don't remember when or on what show he would have done it on ?

Yes, Rip Taylor was the comedian who threw confetti all over the place. He would throw it during his monologues, on his way over to his seat during a talk show appearance, whenever he gave a silly answer on a game show, pretty much anytime. He carried it around in those oversized brown paper shopping bags with the rounded rough string-like handles. He also made fun of his own toupee/hair a lot, I think because it was so “big”, & maybe the toupee wasn’t the greatest.

• Love 4

Well, I have to say that I admire the late Mr. Taylor having had a lengthy career despite the fact that I've never met anyone who admitted to liking him or enjoying his performances. At best, it seemed his performances were to make comical fun of every other performer's cringing reactions to his shtick! RIP, regardless Mr. Taylor.

• LOL 1
  • Love 2
15 hours ago, AimingforYoko said:

Cream was only together for a short time, but they made the most of it. R.I.P.

Yeah, this was one of those where I was unaware he was still with us. I love that the obits still call him "flamboyant". It's 2019, we can dispense with the euphemisms.

In Mr. Taylor's case flamboyant fits. His act and over the top personality were exactly that.

As far as his sexuality, he would get very angry when people would assume he was gay. Personally I don' t care one way or the other he was funny and according to people that knew him very kind.

• Love 3
On 10/4/2019 at 11:12 AM, biakbiak said:

I've been away and just heard the sad news of losing the fabulous Diahann Carroll.  During her lifetime she accomplished many things, but I can't help but remember her Dominique Deveraux in Dynasty!  May she forever have champagne that's not burnt and Petrossian Beluga caviar.  Not that she would have anything else.  R.I.P. Ms. Carroll.

• Love 7

Due to the accident that paralyzed her and forced her to use a wheelchair from 1983, one can't say Miss Pendleton didn't have a challenging life after her time as a Mousekateer. However; that didn't stop her from working in a battered women's shelter or helping other handicapped folks so good for her! RIP, Miss Pendleton! 

• Love 18
6 hours ago, MikaelaArsenault said:

So sad to hear this.  R.I.P. Ms. Pendleton.  

We are saddened to learn of the passing of our old friend and tenor player, Molly Duncan.
He had a recent bout with cancer, and so one half of the "Dundee Horns" is with us no more. His was the world famous sax solo on Pick Up The Pieces,

Just heard Pick Up the Pieces this weekend.  Another sad year for those who bring music into our lives.  R.I.P. Mr. Duncan.  

• Love 3

https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/news/paul-leblanc-dead-oscar-winning-hairstylist-amadeus-was-73-1245919

From the article: 

Paul LeBlanc, the Canadian-born hairstylist who won an Oscar for Amadeus and created the menacing bowl 'do for Javier Bardem in No Country for Old Men, has died. He was 73.

LeBlanc died Wednesday at his home in Dieppe, New Brunswick, following a short illness, his family announced.

LeBlanc also replaced Princess Leia's (Carrie Fisher) side buns with loose waves for Return of the Jedi (1983) and worked often with Ellen Burstyn, including on the Darren Aronofsky films Requiem for a Dream (2000) and The Fountain (2006).

17 minutes ago, UYI said:

I'm two days late on this, but I had to share my favorite memory of Rip Taylor. So funny. RIP.

At 3:51 Rip says: “There goes $13 shot” and you can see the contestants hand go onto the screen and make the gun firing gesture. Bang! It surprised me and I wonder how that would be viewed in our current times versus when it happened a decade (s?) ago. PC or not PC? 

• Love 1
On 10/8/2019 at 9:19 AM, Blergh said:

Due to the accident that paralyzed her and forced her to use a wheelchair from 1983, one can't say Miss Pendleton didn't have a challenging life after her time as a Mousekateer. However; that didn't stop her from working in a battered women's shelter or helping other handicapped folks so good for her! RIP, Miss Pendleton! 

from the obit:

"Many told her that they named their daughters Karen in her honor."

I used to watch the Mickey Mouse club religiously as a four year old, and I remember that I so identified with Karen (as she had the same color hair and me and was the youngest) that I would insist to my family that Karen was my age!

Good to know that she had a productive life even after a terrible accident, Rest in Peace Karen.

Edited by roseha
  • Love 9
5 hours ago, Spartan Girl said:

And I just watched him in El Camino last night! He was great as Breaking Bad's vacuum salesman (i.e. getaway guy). I guess that's as good a final film role as any. RIP.

I’m not sure that’s his final film role. His obituary at deadline.com (first link posted announcing his death) says he did 2 other movies this year: Steven Spielberg’s Amazing Stories & Werewolf. If neither has been released yet, then (obviously) 1 of those will be his final film role instead.

Edited by BW Manilowe
To add a comment.
  • Useful 2
  • Love 4
12 hours ago, TVFan17 said:

Robert Forster -- who has had a long, esteemed career but is also a popular character in the Breaking Bad universe -- has died -

Oh, no!  One of my favorites.  Loved him in Jackie Brown.

• Love 8
5 hours ago, VCRTracking said:

I remember watching Forster in Jackie Brown 20 years ago and thinking "I want to be like him when I grow up." Still working on it.

Awesome actor.  One of those guys you mention to your significant other and they go "Who?" until they see his picture and then they go "HIM!!!"

• LOL 1
  • Love 3
8 hours ago, meowmommy said:

Oh, no!  One of my favorites.  Loved him in Jackie Brown.

Ditto.  He was fantastic in Jackie Brown.  Just... a masterclass in on screen charisma and perfectly toned acting. 

RIP Mr. Forster.

• Love 5

I guess it should be noted that Mr. Macy in 2015 had an interview in which he recounted the Maude episode in which  his character Walter became so belligerent as an alcoholic that he slapped his wife on the face then immediately went into a crying jag! Well, Mr. Macy (aged 93) in 2015 himself burst into tears recounting that. Whether this was due to him being shocked that his character had hit a woman, become such a destructive alcoholic and/or  somehow the scene hit a bit too close to Mr. Macy's offstage life I'm not sure but that somewhat impressed me. He ended his recollection by stating that he and Miss Arthur had previously choreographed the scene and he made sure to only slap her cheek and NOT her ear but he evidently STILL felt bad about having to have enacted that! 97 is a good age to reach (and it's good that he still had a good memory as late as age 93). RIP, Mr. Macy.

Edited by Blergh
  • Love 7