Type keyword(s) to search

In Memoriam: Entertainment Industry Celebrity Deaths

Message added by Mr. Sparkle,

Reminder:

This thread is for deaths of celebrities in the entertainment business only. No notices about politicians, please. 

• Start Topic

On 9/17/2019 at 7:27 PM, cynicat said:

Cokie Roberts always had the most amazing stories of growing up in DC, and had a keen insight into the real politics.  This one is very tough.

I've been wanting to come by and comment on Cokie's death.  I really did admire this woman.  What a loss for us all.  I'm sure her family is so very proud of her. She will certainly be missed by many. 

• Love 8

IMO, the Creative Arts Emmy Awards In Memoriam segment was better than the Primetime  one but WTH is the story for omitting Ken Kercheval?  No shade to Gloria Vanderbilt, but how was she included and Ken Kercheval not?   Dallas was an iconic TV show, as was Kercheval's character of Cliff Barnes, yet no tribute for the man?  TCM remains the champ of honoring the deceased who contributed to their respective industries.  

ETA:  Also, poor Andre Previn whom the In Memoriam team apparently believed was actually the still living Leonard Slatkin. 

Edited by MissAlmond
  • Love 12
8 hours ago, MissAlmond said:

IMO, the Creative Arts Emmy Awards In Memoriam segment was better than the Primetime  one but WTH is the story for omitting Ken Kercheval?  No shade to Gloria Vanderbilt, but how was she included and Ken Kercheval not?   Dallas was an iconic TV show, as was Kercheval's character of Cliff Barnes, yet no tribute for the man?  TCM remains the champ of honoring the deceased who contributed to their respective industries.  

ETA:  Also, poor Andre Previn whom the In Memoriam team apparently believed was actually the still living Leonard Slatkin. 

The Emmy people did apologize for using the picture of the very much alive Mr. Slatkin for the deceased Mr. Previn, however. Or so I’ve read.

• Useful 1
  • Love 1
9 hours ago, MissAlmond said:

I caught a bit of Kimmel the other night, and he actually did a Skype-type interview with Slatkin about that blunder. Luckily, he had a really good attitude about the whole thing. He talked about how he started getting a flood of calls and texts from people who were surprised to see him on the screen, and he was like, "My first thought was, why are they trying to reach me if they think I'm dead?" :p. 

He also had some very nice things to say about Previn. 

• LOL 3
  • Love 7
4 hours ago, BW Manilowe said:

The Emmy people did apologize for using the picture of the very much alive Mr. Slatkin for the deceased Mr. Previn, however. Or so I’ve read.

Yes, they apologized. But unless the Emmy's correct the photo or add a disclaimer, that particular In Memoriam video will forever have Mr. Slatkin tagged as the late Mr. Previn.  

• Love 1
3 hours ago, praeceptrix said:

Rob Garrison from the"Karate Kid" movies has died. He was 59.

https://amp.cnn.com/cnn/2019/09/27/entertainment/robert-garrison-obit/index.html

He had a pivotal role in two of the episodes of St. Elsewhere that signified them hurtling out of the terrible slump they were in around that time (early season 4). Dr. Westphall had a grand idea of sending residents out to various problem areas in an attempt for them to learn more about the people they treat and about the struggles of life. Phil Chandler (Denzel Washington) was sent to an abortion clinic that was being protested and dealing with threats. Soon after he arrived, a bomber (played by Garrison) blew the place up. He then went on to target St. Eligius, if memory serves, when they took in patients from the clinic. There were a number of scenes that were cliche, but very powerful and a punch to the gut, like a nurse at the clinic going into labor at St. Eligius as her injured friend was in a bed nearby. After she gave birth, she tried to share the good news with her friend, only to see the nurses putting a white sheet over her friend's body. 

Anyway, Jan Merlin, Emmy-winning writer and actor possibly best known for Tom Corbett, Space Ranger, has also passed.

https://deadline.com/2019/09/emmy-winning-writer-and-tv-star-jan-merlin-dies-aged-94-1202743187/

Linda Porter also passed away.

https://deadline.com/2019/09/linda-porter-dead-superstore-twin-peaks-actress-1202747068/

Superstore may be her better known role, but I loved her in Twin Peaks. She only had a few scenes, but they were heartwarming moments of a kind that rarely affect me these days as much as they did. Twin Peaks was often a bleak show, but one of the reasons the bleakness was so effective was the contrast given by the more touching and kind sequences peppered in every once in a while.

• Love 4
5 hours ago, praeceptrix said:

Rob Garrison from the"Karate Kid" movies has died. He was 59.

So sorry to hear.  I posited in the Cobra Kai forum if TPTB had an inkling that Garrison wasn't in the best of health and wanted to get the old CK gang back together before it was too late.  Even so, I hadn't heard that Garrison had health issues so I was taken aback when I heard the news.

• Love 2
2 hours ago, magicdog said:

So sorry to hear.  I posited in the Cobra Kai forum if TPTB had an inkling that Garrison wasn't in the best of health and wanted to get the old CK gang back together before it was too late.  Even so, I hadn't heard that Garrison had health issues so I was taken aback when I heard the news.

There would definitely be a tribute to him on the 3rd season. 59 is too young!

• Love 4
19 hours ago, MissAlmond said:

Here's a remarkable example of his craft for television: the 1981-87 titles of CBS' Thursday serial Knots Landing, where the KL title zooms out against the beach shot, then the screen fades to black, and then that title moves off to the left, and the titles scrolled from right to left, with the names of the players (in alphabetical order), and 3-4 images of each one in assorted scenes; this version of it was the seventh-season one (1985-86):

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3b8jgiYrzLo

Edited by bmasters9
  • Love 7
32 minutes ago, Vixenstud said:

OMG....

This woman was a motherfucking trailblazer!  From Julia to Claudine to Marion Gilbert to Norma Desmond, etc., she was the epitome of class and beauty.

This one hurts.  RIP, lovely lady!

I just watched Claudine on YouTube. 

RIP Diahann!

• Love 5