Forums forums
PRIMETIMER
Kromm

In Memoriam: Celebrity Deaths

4 hours ago, Enigma X said:

NO! I saw Blade Runner a few years after it came out. I was about nine, but I fell in love with Hauer’s beauty then. I soon after appreciated him for his craft too. 

Rutger Hauer was awesome.  Blade Runner comes to mind first, but he creeped the hell out of me in The Hitcher.

• Like 7

Rutger Hauer wrote his character's dying monologue in Blade Runner, which to me was the best part of the movie. I haven't seen Blade Runner in years but I remember that speech to this day.

Tears in the rain. RIP, Sir.

• Like 10

My favorite Rutger Hauer movie was also The Hitcher. After seeing Blade Runner on VHS, I convinced my older sisters that we needed to find another movie of his to watch. We picked up The Hitcher at Blockbuster. 

• Like 7

18 minutes ago, magdalene said:

Rutger Hauer wrote his character's dying monologue in Blade Runner, which to me was the best part of the movie. I haven't seen Blade Runner in years but I remember that speech to this day.

Tears in the rain. RIP, Sir.

I have rewatched the movie a few times over the years specifically to see that scene. The monologue, and especially the way Hauer delivered it, completely emphasized the Frankenstein elements of Blade Runner: that the replicant/monster had greater philosophical insight, self-reflection, and sense of wonder than the humans who created them. 

I've seen him in a few other roles, but another that stands out is The Hitcher. He was scary as fuck in that. Overall, though, Hauer was just one of those actors who had huge screen presence. I don't mean that he was chewing scenery or anything; he could be standing completely still and your eyes would still be drawn to him. I'm glad that he was able to work until almost the end, but wish he was still around for other roles. 

• Like 9

I will date myself and admit that my favorite Rutger Hauer films were Flesh and Blood and Ladyhawke. He was a talented actor. Rest in peace, Rutger.

• Like 5

RIP. Rutger Hauer.

I FLOVED Ladyhawke!  Altho I remember thinking the 80s  soundtrack did not match the Medieval Fantasy feel of the movie. 

Also he freaked me out so hard in The Hitcher.

• Like 7

47 minutes ago, DearEvette said:

RIP. Rutger Hauer.

I FLOVED Ladyhawke!  Altho I remember thinking the 80s  soundtrack did not match the Medieval Fantasy feel of the movie. 

Also he freaked me out so hard in The Hitcher.

This was my mother's favorite actor. Upon hearing the news, I think the world is much sadder now that he is gone. I hope all the actors/directors that worked with him put tributes on their Instagram or Twitter accounts. This man deserves the mass respect. RIP Hauer.

• Like 4

3 hours ago, Enigma X said:

My favorite Rutger Hauer movie was also The Hitcher. After seeing Blade Runner on VHS, I convinced my older sisters that we needed to find another movie of his to watch. We picked up The Hitcher at Blockbuster. 

If you have to stop at a remote roadside diner, do NOT order the french fries!

• Like 7

22 minutes ago, spiderpig said:

One of my sisters was turned off of french fries for a while after watching but not me. Ha! 

• Like 4

10 hours ago, galaxygirl76 said:

If you ever have the chance watch Soldier of Orange, a Dutch movie directed by Paul Verhoeven and starring Rutger and Jeroen Krabbe(who was the bad guy in The Fugitive and the Bond movie The Living Daylights)

RIP Rutger, I will always remember my mom talking fondly about your show Floris.

That's probably what I remember him the most from. 20 years ago, my local library had a ton of foreign movies on VHS, which I would rent out. I went through several Verhoeven films. They were all harrowing in their own ways (especially Katje Tippel...), but Soldier of Orange was on the level of a Hollywood epic. Rutger gave a star-making performance - so much with his eyes alone. He was born in the wrong era in some ways in terms of films, as I could have easily seen him as a Hollywood leading man of the '30s or '40s. 

He also did a number of ads for Guinness. I love watching old commercials so I see them all the time. He was a great pitchman. 

There have been so many celebrity passings this month. I was so sad to hear about Charles Levin. I used to watch Alice all the time in repeats. The last years were something of a slog, and Levin was one of the new actors, along with Celia Weston, who helped add some new energy. I was so pleased when Vera got her happy ending. And now Levin and Beth Howland are both gone. 

Edited by Pete Martell
  • Like 6

2 hours ago, spiderpig said:

Why not?   Fries are great finger foods. 

I loved that movie. I got my DVD out and am going to watch tomorrow. 

Edited by Rescue Mama
  • Like 4
  • Laugh 2

Yikes, I didn't even imagine Mr. Hauer could get sick! 😞

Against all logic, I thought Mr. Hauer would always be  an eternal leading man. His performance in Ladyhawke made an utterly preposterous premise seem quite compelling. I mean, one COULD imagine that he'd be a frustrated wolf by night. RIP, Mr. Hauer!

• Like 7

Interesting, so far no one has mentioned Rutger's scary appearance in the underrated Nighthawks with Sylvester Stallone and Billy Dee Williams.

I will still randomly twist my mouth and yell out 'Wolfgar!' from time to time.

At any rate, RIP, handsome one.

• Like 12

Alas David Hedison who I think is the best Felix Leiter and Rutger Hauer who could do from the ridiculous like Split Second (BIG GUNS!) to the sublime such as Blade Runner. 

Do you think they released a white dove at his funeral?

• Like 1

I think the first thing I saw Rutger Hauer in was probably Ladyhawke.  I'm disappointed there doesn't seem to be any love for Blind Fury.  I was fond of that stupid movie.

• Like 3

8 hours ago, dalek said:

I think the first thing I saw Rutger Hauer in was probably Ladyhawke.  I'm disappointed there doesn't seem to be any love for Blind Fury.  I was fond of that stupid movie.

There's love here. For the Bruce Lee line alone. 

• Like 2

I can't believe I'm just now learning that Russi Taylor was also the voice of Martin Prince on The Simpsons.

She was also the voice of Huey, Dewey, and Louie on the original Ducktales, but made a cameo as Young Donald on the new Ducktales (2017) for the Christmas special, and I absolutely flipped out.

RIP Russi, you were definitely a huge part of my formative years.

• Sad 12

1 hour ago, Popples said:

I can't believe I'm just now learning that Russi Taylor was also the voice of Martin Prince on The Simpsons.

She was also the voice of Huey, Dewey, and Louie on the original Ducktales, but made a cameo as Young Donald on the new Ducktales (2017) for the Christmas special, and I absolutely flipped out.

RIP Russi, you were definitely a huge part of my formative years.

Same here. I grew up watching the show and didn't know that she played him.

Wow... grew up with her as a lot of characters. 😢 RIP Russi, and thanks for the memories.

She also reprised the role of Huey, Dewey and Louie in the Ducktales video game, along with playing Webby.

Edited by AntiBeeSpray
  • Like 8

15 minutes ago, MikaelaArsenault said:

Does anyone know how she died?

Cause of death wasn't included in the announcement.

• Like 2

Just now, Bastet said:

Cause of death wasn't included in the announcement.

Maybe they won’t reveal the cause of death at all, or they might reveal it later.

• Like 1

Just now, MikaelaArsenault said:

Maybe they won’t reveal the cause of death at all, or they might reveal it later.

It seems like the cause may not yet be clear.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, MikaelaArsenault said:

So it’s not known what happened then.

The Hollywood Reporter obituary simply said she died at home yesterday at age 75.  Several obituaries have said the cause of death is not yet clear, and that may be because it has not yet been officially determined (meaning it's not yet clear to anyone), or simply because it wasn't stated in the announcement from Disney (meaning it's just not known by the media and, by extension, the public):

• Like 2
  • Sad 7

1 minute ago, Bastet said:

The Hollywood Reporter obituary simply said she died at home yesterday at age 75.  Several obituaries have said the cause of death is not yet clear, and that may be because it has not yet been officially determined (meaning it's not yet clear to anyone), or simply because it wasn't stated in the announcement from Disney (meaning it's just not known by the media and, by extension, the public):

Maybe it was natural causes, but I could be wrong about that.

Russi Taylor was also married to Wayne Allwine, the voice actor for Mickey, for over 20 years until his death in 2009. Minnie and Mickey are together again.

• Like 18

9 hours ago, Domenicholas said:

Russi Taylor was also married to Wayne Allwine, the voice actor for Mickey, for over 20 years until his death in 2009. Minnie and Mickey are together again.

Wow, I had no idea. I'm still sad, but it kind of makes me feel better. I'm wearing my Minnie shirt and Mickey socks in their honor today.

Also had no idea she voiced Martin, Sheri, and Teri, the original Hewey, Dewey, and Louie.

• Like 6

Oh that's so sad. I love Minnie. No matter how old I am I still love Minnie. I have Minnie Mouse pajamas. She will be missed. What a talented woman. I didn't realize her husband voiced Mickey! How cool that the real life voices of Mickey and Minnie were married too! And now their together forever. RIP Russi Taylor.

• Like 10

2 hours ago, Spartan Girl said:

Wow, I had no idea. I'm still sad, but it kind of makes me feel better. I'm wearing my Minnie shirt and Mickey socks in their honor today.

Also had no idea she voiced Martin, Sheri, and Teri, the original Hewey, Dewey, and Louie.

And Strawberry Shortcake , a few ponies onMy Little Pony and Gonzo on Muppet Babies..as a 80's baby all those were very important to me as a child.

I heard a clip.of Martin and knowing it was the same voice as Minnie voice you can kind if hear it

• Like 8

I check this about once a week, which is why I am only now seeing that Rutger Hauer died. :( I'd just been thinking about him recently, realizing it had been awhile since I'd seen him in anything. It's easy to think that these guys are always going to be around...

Bladerunner is not my favorite movie, but he is such a standout in it. He was also great in a variety of WW2 TV movies. If I can find my copy of Escape From Sobibor I'll have to watch that. I'll also have to give Spetters a re-watch. It's a somewhat strange, but entertaining coming-of-age Dutch movie. Rutger Hauer has a small, but amusing role as a conceited race car (?) driver. He was such a diverse actor. What a sad loss.

P.S. As a Disney fan, I am also sad to hear about Russi Taylor. The original Ducktales was my first favorite show, and I always found it cool knowing how much she contributed.

• Like 7

On 7/27/2019 at 10:42 PM, Domenicholas said:

What's interesting about that is that it was Mr. Allwine's FOURTH marriage (and he'd had four children by his previous unions) and it was evidently her first (and only)at age 47. Yet, despite the fact that his previous three marriages had ended in divorce, their own union would last until his demise. I guess Mickey and Minnie had too much in common to split! 

Also, Miss Taylor's actual given name had been Russell which would have been rare indeed to have been given to a girl but perhaps it had been the surname of a maternal line of ancestors.

In addition   to all that, I have to say I was always impressed by how talented she was in being able to make such distinct separate voices ( yes, even Huey, Dooey, and Louie seemed to each have a slightly different one). over a very wide range of characters.  At least in Ducktales, she got to work with the legendary June Foray so maybe these two traded notes.

RIP, Miss Taylor!

Edited by Blergh · Reason: no al
  • Like 11
  • Useful 1

I had no idea she did so many different voices. Looking at her film and TV credits is amazing I watched most of the shows and didn't know they were all voiced by one person. She was so talented.

• Like 7

11 minutes ago, Spartan Girl said:

He did some great Broadway shows.  RIP

91?! That's quite impressive. Anyway, he did put on some fantastic shows and was quite creative in both the depictions as well as the music! RIP, Mr. Price!

• Like 3

OtterMommy

This thread is not meant to be a collection of obituaries, but rather a place for us to pay respect (or not) to the recently departed celebrities*.  If you're leaving a link to an obituary, please also provide some sort of personal context about the deceased.  (* For this thread, a celebrity is an entertainment or widely recognized figure.)