Type keyword(s) to search

In Memoriam: Entertainment Industry Celebrity Deaths

Message added by Mr. Sparkle,

Reminder:

This thread is for deaths of celebrities in the entertainment business only. No notices about politicians, please. 

• Start Topic

I just read Mr. Zeffirelli's obituary in the link above and, while I may not have agreed with many of his positions, I didn't see anything remotely "garbage" about him.

• Love 4
1 hour ago, Ohwell said:

Ok, got it.  However, there's bad stuff that can be written about anyone in their obituary, but I personally wouldn't be saying R.I.P. and calling someone garbage in the same breath.   I'm sorry but that's how I feel.

Duly noted.

• Love 1
12 hours ago, Spartan Girl said:

Egads!  I didn't know that!  OK, is it too late for me to do backsies on the RIP?  That's just horrible! I hope I didn't offend you, Spartan Girl! 

Well, at least with him no longer in this world, that means I won't have to worry about any possible monies going to him if I were to watch some of his classic works but that REALLY harshes my being able to enjoy them as I did before these claims. 

• Love 4
(edited)
1 hour ago, Blergh said:

Egads!  I didn't know that!  OK, is it too late for me to do backsies on the RIP?  That's just horrible! I hope I didn't offend you, Spartan Girl! 

Well, at least with him no longer in this world, that means I won't have to worry about any possible monies going to him if I were to watch some of his classic works but that REALLY harshes my being able to enjoy them as I did before these claims. 

No offense taken, but don't let that ruin the movies for you. Lots of good people worked on them too. Besides, it is possible for you to enjoy a person's work while disliking the person.

Like I said before, his movies were beautiful. 

Edited by Spartan Girl
  • Love 4

Gloria Vanderbilt, fashion model/designer, heiress & socialite, has died at age 95, according to her son, journalist/CNN anchor Anderson Cooper. Source: a News notification, I think from USA Today, on my iPhone.

• Love 1
6 minutes ago, BW Manilowe said:

Gloria Vanderbilt, fashion model/designer, heiress & socialite, has died at age 95, according to her son, journalist/CNN anchor Anderson Cooper. Source: a News notification, I think from USA Today, on my iPhone.

No one can ever say she lived a dull, blah or uneventful life. I only hope that she and her elder sons were able to make their peace before the end! RIP, Mrs. Cooper (as she was married to Anderson's father and never remarried after his death). 

• Love 11
15 minutes ago, Vixenstud said:

Very beautiful tribute, Anderson....almost lost it at their giggles.

You could hear his voice starting to crack at the very end.  It's not every journalist who has to -- or gets to, depending on your perspective -- record an obituary for his mother.  

• Love 14
1 hour ago, Robert Lynch said:

She was certainly a very attractive woman in her younger days.

If you ask me, she still looked good up until her death. I’m not sure I’d have believed she was 95 if I saw her.

• Love 13
(edited)
5 hours ago, UYI said:

On an admittedly shallow note, the clip of them giggling together when she was in her hospital bed in very recent times (and, for once, actually looked as if she could have appeared within two decades of her age), brought up something I've never understood. How is it that Mr. Cooper has had silver white hair since   his 30's yet his  mother Miss Vanderbilt seemed to have chestnut hair even into her mid 90's?  Although her hair  was pulled back and didn't seem as thick as before, I didn't spot any grey or white roots!  Regardless, it's good that she WAS able to find something worth giggling about even when she knew she literally had next to no time left (and even more amazing that she EVER was able to giggle considering the profound amount of personal tragedies she endured from infancy on). 

Edited by Blergh
  • Love 3
7 hours ago, BW Manilowe said:

Gloria Vanderbilt, fashion model/designer, heiress & socialite, has died at age 95,

7 hours ago, Blergh said:

No one can ever say she lived a dull, blah or uneventful life

That child custody case over her was something else!  It was even referenced in a (no longer used) lyric in Porter's Anything Goes  -> 

When folks who still can ride in jitneys
Find out Vanderbilts and Whitneys
Lack baby clothes
Anything goes

Still  Gloria Vanderbilt made a life for herself and it appears maintained an optimistic spirt.   R.I.P to the OG Jean Queen, Ms. Vanderbilt.  

• Useful 1
  • Love 9
(edited)
On 6/17/2019 at 3:00 PM, Blergh said:

Although her hair  was pulled back and didn't seem as thick as before, I didn't spot any grey or white roots! 

While hospice (end of life) care includes washing hair, I'm pretty sure dyeing hair would have been something they paid someone from outside to come and do, even if its purpose was to preserve the patient's dignity.

On 6/17/2019 at 3:00 PM, Blergh said:

Regardless, it's good that she WAS able to find something worth giggling about even when she knew she literally had next to no time left (and even more amazing that she EVER was able to giggle considering the profound amount of personal tragedies she endured from infancy on). 

Yes.

On 6/17/2019 at 12:08 PM, Robert Lynch said:

Lost to the big c. Fuck cancer.

While this comment does bring a tear to my eye, I "beat" cancer at 63 only to face increasing physical pain and deterioration, as well as increasingly insurmountable financial woes of both my own and of one of my children--so I see cancer in later life as a potentially merciful exit from this realm that perhaps we should not view with such hostility. Meanwhile I soldier on one day at a time trying to find purpose in survival beyond my expiration date--which likely Gloria Vanderbilt was doing too for decades before her death.

Edited by shapeshifter
  • Useful 1
  • Love 14

RIP Gloria Vanderbilt and condolences to Anderson. Gloria was always so vibrant and warm when I saw her in interviews. 

12 minutes ago, shapeshifter said:

I see cancer in later life as a potentially merciful exit from this realm that perhaps we should not view with such hostility.

Agreed. From the perspective of a senior with a terminal illness, the manner of leavetaking is somewhat beside the point. A peaceful and merciful death can be a good thing. NIH says 53% of all cancer deaths are in people aged 75+.

At any rate, I sometimes wonder why there doesn't seem to be much sentiment for fucking heart disease or accidents, the first and third leading causes of death.  ;-)

• Useful 2
  • Love 17
(edited)

According to her Wikipedia page, Judith Krantz was the sister-in-law of the late ventriloquist Shari Lewis (probably most popular in the ‘60’s & ‘70’s—& another celebrity I was fortunate enough to have met through my March of Dimes work). Ms. Lewis was married to Ms. Krantz’s brother, Jeremy Tarcher; Ms. Krantz used her married name professionally.

Edited by BW Manilowe
To add italics.
  • Useful 2
  • Love 8

From WPTA ABC21 (Fort Wayne, IN)—Report: Estranged Father of Rapper Eminem Dies at Fort Wayne Area Home

I knew Eminem was from Detroit, but didn’t know his father lived either here or near here, my hometown (the cities aren’t really that far apart though—about a half hour by airline flight—so it could be logical he’d have lived in the area). Our ABC station is crediting TMZ as their source for the report on Eminem’s father’s death.

(edited)

I hate to say this now, but I never liked Beth from watching the Dog, The Bounty Hunter show.  That said, it's still so sad when someone dies so young from this horrible disease.  Her husband seemed to adore her and I hope he is able to get some peace soon. 

Edited by Norwindian
  • Love 9
21 minutes ago, Calvada said:

for me his signature role was Karl Shub on Buffalo Bill.  I loved him on that show.  

Karl's attempts to stand up to Bill, which he wasn't able to pull off for himself, but sometimes could for other people. (In that, a little like Doc Cochran and Al in Deadwood.) And Karl's great sad love for Joanna, which was love and not a feckless crush. Because it gave her something, something she needed: respect.

He could embody decency, and do so, modestly. 

• Love 2
47 minutes ago, SimoneS said:

Billy Drago's most memorable role for me was in The Untouchables. Rest in peace, Billy.

Billy Drago Dies: Hollywood ‘Bad Guy’ Character Actor Was 73.

https://deadline.com/2019/06/billy-drago-dies-bad-guy-character-actor-obituary-1202638546/

He had really striking looks. I remember him from different movies and as one of the villains the sisters on the original Charmed encountered multiple times. His son played Ed Chigliak on Northern Exposure and looks more like his father now then he did when he was younger.

• Love 6
6 minutes ago, Pallas said:

Karl's attempts to stand up to Bill, which he wasn't able to pull off for himself, but would for the people who worked for him. (In that, a little like Doc Cochran and Al in Deadwood.) And Karl's great sad love for Joanna, which was love and not a feckless crush. Because it gave her something, something she needed: respect. 

I loved the episode with all the Jerry Lewis impersonators (one played by a then unknown Jim Carrey) and Karl hiding the bear from Bill.  Another episode I loved is when Karl's teenage son idolizes Bill, but ultimately realizes that Bill is a jerk, and the episode ends with the son talking to his dad who he's figured out is not so bad, but it's done without hammering us over the head with some dramatic scene between father and son.  What wonderful actors they had on the show - Max Wright, Dabney Coleman, Joanna Cassidy, John Fiedler, Geena Davis, Meshach Taylor, and Charles Robinson.  Only 26 episodes - I was heartbroken when it was canceled. It never got a chance.  Its first season of a dozen episodes was shown in the summer, and the second season started a couple days before Christmas - neither were a great time to build an audience.  

• Love 2
5 hours ago, SimoneS said:

Billy Drago's most memorable role for me was in The Untouchables. Rest in peace, Billy.

Billy Drago Dies: Hollywood ‘Bad Guy’ Character Actor Was 73.

https://deadline.com/2019/06/billy-drago-dies-bad-guy-character-actor-obituary-1202638546/

"He died like a pig." (Drago to Costner after he'd shot Sean Connery).  Costner shoves him off the roof of the courthouse yelling "Did he sound anything like this?"   Drago crashes through the top of one of those way-cool 30s cars.

Back in the courthouse they ask where  Frank Nitti is.  Costner replies "he's in the car."

I absolutely love that movie.  All of that man candy running around in Armani suits!

• LOL 2
  • Love 7
(edited)

Sorry... Nothing to see here now. CNN reposted an old obit. You’d think they’d know better. My apologies.

Edited by BW Manilowe
To remove old info and apologize for repeating a post.
16 hours ago, Norwindian said:

I hate to say this now, but I never liked Beth from watching the Dog, The Bounty Hunter show.  That said, it's still so sad when someone dies so young from this horrible disease.  Her husband seemed to adore her and I hope he is able to get some peace soon. 

Let's also not forget that she left behind children who no longer have their mother in their lives for the rest of their lives!  Despite her not being my fave person, I feel sorry that said children have had to deal with others not at least having respect for the deceased or her loved ones just hours after her death!

• Love 7