Type keyword(s) to search

In Memoriam: Entertainment Industry Celebrity Deaths

Message added by Mr. Sparkle,

Reminder:

This thread is for deaths of celebrities in the entertainment business only. No notices about politicians, please. 

• Start Topic

I just found out about John. So sad! I lived in Oak Park and neighboring area a few different times over the years, and met him twice. Once in 1990, when he came into the library where I was working and I helped him locate a copy of Uncle Vanya for a production he was going to be doing at Steppenwolf. A co-worker came through first and told me he was in the building--I knew him from Eight Men Out and Say Anything, so I was really excited that he needed my help, but I played it cool like I didn't know he was famous.

Then around 2005, at a car wash on Harlem Avenue, where my mom and I were waiting outside on the bench for my car to finish getting dried. Someone came through the building and told us that John was behind him in line, and he came out and sat on the bench next to us. I had told Mom to play it cool, but when we went to get in my car, she told me that she couldn't hold it in any longer, went back, and told him that she was a big fan and thanked him for all the enjoyment he gave her. He was very sweet and thanked her for the compliment.

• Love 17
14 hours ago, Inquisitionist said:

The Chicago Public Library has posted a blog entry with 12 photos of John Mahoney's early stage work in Chicago. You can see some young versions of Terry Kinney, Kevin Anderson, John Malkovich, Tom Irwin, Joan Allen, Laurie Metcalf, and others (I think Gary Sinise is in one but am not sure).

I couldn't find Gary Sinise in any of the pics either. But it's probably him. Most or all of the actors you listed are members of the Steppenwolf Theatre Company in Chicago; among his zillion professional & humanitarian accomplishments Gary Sinise is a co-founder of Chicago's Steppenwolf Theatre Company, along with actors Jeff Perry (Cyrus Beene on Scandal) & Terry Kinney. John Mahoney was also a member of the company.

Edited by BW Manilowe
To add punctuation and comments.
  • Love 3
2 hours ago, Silver Raven said:

Kelsey Grammer on the death of John Mahoney:

Kelsey Grammer was on The Talk (CBS' The View clone) yesterday, talking about his current project--starring in the Los Angeles Opera's production of Candide with Christine Ebersole. But they started the interview--How could they not?--by talking about John Mahoney. They mentioned the Tweet above. Kelsey said something about he never really Tweets; he has people who do it for him when necessary. But he said to Tweet that (what was actually posted) about John Mahoney.  Kelsey also said that John Mahoney played his father (in Frasier) longer than he knew his real father, & so John really did feel like his father (& I guess his death really felt, to Kelsey, like his real father had died).

Kelsey also said that he never really had a brother either, but that David Hyde Pierce feels like a (real) brother to him.

You really should watch the clip, to get Kelsey's emotions. It's not very long at all.

Edited by BW Manilowe
To change some wording.
  • Love 15
2 hours ago, BW Manilowe said:

Kelsey Grammer was on The Talk (CBS' The View clone) yesterday, talking about his current project--starring in the Los Angeles Opera's production of Candide with Christine Ebersole. But they started the interview--How could they not?--by talking about John Mahoney. They mentioned the Tweet above. Kelsey said something about he never really Tweets; he has people who do it for him when necessary. But he said to Tweet that (what was actually posted) about John Mahoney.  Kelsey also said that John Mahoney played his father (in Frasier) longer than he knew his real father, & so John really did feel like his father (& I guess his death really felt, to Kelsey, like his real father had died).

Kelsey also said that he never really had a brother either, but that David Hyde Pierce feels like a (real) brother to him.

You really should watch the clip, to get Kelsey's emotions. It's not very long at all.

I just want to hug Kelsey Grammar after watching that clip.

• Love 12
On 2/8/2018 at 7:00 PM, BW Manilowe said:

I think Kelsey Grammer is a total asshole, however this is beautiful and sweet.  

• Love 16

From The New York Daily NewsActor John Mahoney's Cause(s) of Death Revealed

According to this (1 of the most credible sources I could find), John Mahoney died from multiple causes. He died of brain disease (not sure if that means "dementia", or what), lung cancer, & seizures; he's also said to have had kidney disease & diabetes. 

Another source I forgot to note the name of said he died of complications of throat cancer.

1 hour ago, Blergh said:

It's too bad that he believed he had to change his name instead of being able to openly celebrate that he came from some very old families in the California and Mexico! Well, even if though he was born an  Apablasa, RIP, Mr. Gavin.

Well, to be fair, he didn't change his name, it was his stepfather, Herald Ray Golenor, who changed the family name to Gavin, at least according to Variety (although the article doesn't mention that he was born Juan Vincent Apablasa and that Golenor was his stepfather).  

http://variety.com/2018/film/news/john-gavin-dead-dies-psycho-spartacus-1202694312/

Edited by Ohwell
Added something
3 hours ago, Blergh said:

I know their union didn't last but he and Miss Diahann Carroll had phenomenal chemistry together when they were together.  He knew how to use his voice quite well. Of course, his last years outliving his last wife and only son (by his 1st wife Pier Angeli) had to take their toll. RIP, Mr. Damone.

Interesting fact: Diahann Carroll always called Vic Damone by his last name when they were involved/married. Here is an example of that from a 1989 Los Angeles Times Interview. She wouldn't use his first name because it reminded her of someone she dislikes. She mentions that here, in the 5th paragraph if I counted right.

Edited by BW Manilowe
To change some wording.
On 2/11/2018 at 5:49 PM, BetterButter said:

By coincidence, I was telling someone yesterday about the 2012 production of Follies that I saw in NYC. I remembered Bernadette Peters as Sally, but could not think of Jan Maxwell as Phyllis. Which is a shame, because she was magnificent. Her last word, "Guess!" at the end of Could I Leave You? gave me chills. RIP.

• Love 1

Damn!  He was a local and performed on and off for decades!  My Dad even met him while standing in line at the local bank!! Said he looked older than on TV but essentially the same and polite.  Yes, the hair was real!!

• Love 4

Bill Graham is my neighbor! (not really but we live in the same town as him). All of our local channels are now playing Billy Graham tributes all day. I'm not a religious person but this past Christmas we went to our usual choose and cut Christmas tree farm where you hike up the mountain and pick your own tree. The one we really liked had a tag on it so we ended up picking the one right next to it. I asked the farmer (who is a family friend) who the tree was for and he said it was Billy Graham's personal tree for his home and he would be delivering it and setting it up for him later that day. I liked to think that picking the tree next to his gave us some sort of good heavenly mojo or something. :) 

The media around here goes on Billy Graham death watch whenever he gets ill- which was quite frequently in the past year so I was surprised that this seemingly came out of nowhere. I hadn't heard of him being sick lately. 99 is a long time to live!

• Love 7