Type keyword(s) to search

In Memoriam: Entertainment Industry Celebrity Deaths

Message added by Mr. Sparkle,

Reminder:

This thread is for deaths of celebrities in the entertainment business only. No notices about politicians, please. 

• Start Topic

1 hour ago, Silver Raven said:

Jerry Van Dyke has died, age 86.

Long time astronaut John Young has died, age 87.

Damn, we better get back to the Moon before everyone who walked there is gone.   Who would have thought the era of people who walked on the moon would ever pass?

RIP Jerry Van Dyke, he was fun.

• Love 6
1 hour ago, SmithW6079 said:

Didn't Brett Butler flash her boobs at him when her show was on the air? I recall reading that a long time ago. No wonder he quit acting after being the victim of a sexual predator.

That seems to be a pretty jingoistic website. I'm not sure I'd believe anything posted on a site like that. 

I know. And they were more focused on other things that had happened to him, like being banned--apparently in front of at least 1 of his children--from riding certain rides, like (I think) the roller coaster, at the Six Flags theme park in Texas because he'd lost (parts of) both legs to an IED explosion during the War on Terror (a story which had multiple links to it in Google).

But, since nobody knew--& a lotta people has been curious about--why he was suddenly dead, less than 3 weeks after a guest performance he did on the show, where he seemed to be in good health, all things considered, aired nationally on CBS. And the social media silence from those who worked behind the scenes on that episode, & who work on the show in general, about how he died, has been deafening, to say the least; so has the news/cause of his death by more mainstream media outlets. I was doing the best I could to try to shed some more light on the situation, given the choice of sources which were actually talking about the man or his cause of death.

• Love 1
On 12/28/2017 at 8:01 PM, Mountainair said:

I was just thinking about her the other day trying to remember who was left from the DVD show.  She had a wonderful long life. 

Quoting myself here.....but Jerry Van Dyke came up in my conversation with my husband about who was still around from the DVD show. He wasn't looking too well and I am sad to hear that he has now passed on. I need to stop thinking about the DVD show before DVD himself leaves us! I feel like I'm a bad omen now. 

On another note, I guess JVD will not be making a final appearance on The Middle this season unless he did already film a good bye scene that has not aired yet. 

1 hour ago, Angeltoes said:

How come?  

Rather than rehash my reasons, I'll just invite you to read 'em in this old link! BTW, it does mention the tragedy of his now deceased brother Jerry Van Dyke so it's kind of relevant . As long as we're talking about the younger Mr. Van Dyke, I think it's worth mentioning that his one-time costar Charlotte Stewart on Coach sang his praises for being a brilliant and intense person offcamera (in contrast to the goofy character he played) but DID acknowledge how torn up he was over his daughter's death.

http://forums.previously.tv/topic/46177-actors-hosts-and-tv-personalities-you-just-cant-stand/?page=3

• Love 1

I loved Jerry Van Dyke as Luther VanDam on Coach. He always ended up hooking up with a certain type of woman on that show, as Hayden once said "Jesus, Luther what is it with you and widows?" Luther:(shrugging) "I don't know. I guess I remind them of their dead husbands."

Also I think my favorite Luther moment was his reaction when Dobber tells Coach that some past players of his were gay.

Edited by VCRTracking
  • Love 3
4 hours ago, merylinkid said:

Damn, we better get back to the Moon before everyone who walked there is gone.   Who would have thought the era of people who walked on the moon would ever pass?

RIP Jerry Van Dyke, he was fun.

He WAS fun, and it's amazing how much he and his big brother Dick looked alike.  Dick must be devastated, just as I was when one of MY little brothers passed away unexpectedly a little over 10 years ago.

• Love 4

It was mentioned here that DVD was not quoted when Rose Marie passed away recently - I hope he is well, perhaps he knew how ill his brother Jerry was.   From what little I know of DVD he seems very introverted so there may be more to his silence than we know.

10 minutes ago, roseha said:

It was mentioned here that DVD was not quoted when Rose Marie passed away recently - I hope he is well, perhaps he knew how ill his brother Jerry was.   From what little I know of DVD he seems very introverted so there may be more to his silence than we know.

He actually did say something on Facebook about her passing recently: 

• Love 10
14 hours ago, Mountainair said:

On another note, I guess JVD will not be making a final appearance on The Middle this season unless he did already film a good bye scene that has not aired yet. 

I didn't watch Coach, but I enjoyed JVD on The Middle. I was disappointed that this season's Thanksgiving episode didn't include one more look at Frankie's parents.

I saw him ages ago in a Las Vegas show where he was introduced as "Television's Man for One Season." That was long before Coach, when his most famous show was one that always makes the "Worst Ever" lists: My Mother the Car.  He was the owner of a "1928 Porter" that is a reincarnation of his mom.  Ann Sothern was the voice of the car.

I don't remember anything specific about the Las Vegas show, but I know I had a good time and was impressed by his singing and comedic talent.

RIP.

• Love 3

I remember reading once that Jerry Van Dyke actually returned home to Danville, IL at one point after My Mother The Car was cancelled. It was such a big bomb that he had a very difficult time finding work for awhile after that. But he kept going, and he eventually found his hit show with Coach (the creator of the show, Barry Kemp, ultimately gave him this role after he passed on him playing George on Newhart in favor of Tom Poston; he told him he would cast him in whatever show he created next--and he did).  I grew up watching him on that show, so this is a celebrity loss that hits particularly hard for me. But what a career he had. He is proof that, sometimes in life, the greatest success comes a little later on, and he certainly earned it. 

RIP, Jerry. 

• Love 8
4 hours ago, UYI said:

I remember reading once that Jerry Van Dyke actually returned home to Danville, IL at one point after My Mother The Car was cancelled. It was such a big bomb that he had a very difficult time finding work for awhile after that. But he kept going, and he eventually found his hit show with Coach (the creator of the show, Barry Kemp, ultimately gave him this role after he passed on him playing George on Newhart in favor of Tom Poston; he told him he would cast him in whatever show he created next--and he did).  I grew up watching him on that show, so this is a celebrity loss that hits particularly hard for me. But what a career he had. He is proof that, sometimes in life, the greatest success comes a little later on, and he certainly earned it. 

RIP, Jerry. 

I can only imagine how hard it must have been for him living in big brother Dick's shadow for so many years.  But I'll bet anything that Dick was nothing but supportive and proud of Jerry's accomplishments, and I'm sure that within a few days, after he's had time to process this and help work out whatever funeral arrangements are pending, he'll say something on social media that will prove it.

Edited by legaleagle53
  • Love 5

Moody Blues Ray Thomas died at age 76 on Thursday. He was one of the founding members best known for the song Knights in white Satin in which he did the flute solo. 

Edited by Mindthinkr
Missed a letter
  • Love 7
2 hours ago, Mindthinkr said:

Moody Blues Ray Thomas died at age 76 on Thursday. He was one of the founding members best known for the song Knight in white Satin in which he did the flute solo. 

Ouch.  This hurts.  They played small cruises w/ other musicians every other year or so.  But they were the headline.  In fact, the cruises were called ‘Moody Blues Cruise’.  The last one, they announced would be their final cruise.  I wonder if that’s because Mr. Thomas was ill?

• Love 5
35 minutes ago, roamyn said:

Ouch.  This hurts.  They played small cruises w/ other musicians every other year or so.  But they were the headline.  In fact, the cruises were called ‘Moody Blues Cruise’.  The last one, they announced would be their final cruise.  I wonder if that’s because Mr. Thomas was ill?

According to what I had read he had a diagnosis of prostrate cancer in 2014, although his actual cause of death hasn't been disclosed. I agree with you. It hurts. I have been listening to them for decades. 

• Love 1
On 1/6/2018 at 7:34 PM, Blergh said:

Rather than rehash my reasons, I'll just invite you to read 'em in this old link! BTW, it does mention the tragedy of his now deceased brother Jerry Van Dyke so it's kind of relevant . As long as we're talking about the younger Mr. Van Dyke, I think it's worth mentioning that his one-time costar Charlotte Stewart on Coach sang his praises for being a brilliant and intense person offcamera (in contrast to the goofy character he played) but DID acknowledge how torn up he was over his daughter's death.

http://forums.previously.tv/topic/46177-actors-hosts-and-tv-personalities-you-just-cant-stand/?page=3

He wrote two books (one in 2012 and one in 2015) and I swear he mentioned Jerry's daughter in one of them.  

1 minute ago, legaleagle53 said:

One of my favorite character actors from the 70s and 80s has left us: Donnelly Rhodes, dead at 80.

I'm watching Battlestar Galactica these nights, so my immediate reaction is, "Doc Cottle!"  (Nice to see that show's executive producer Ron Moore tweet about his death, per the linked article; it's obvious from the Blu-Ray commentary just how much Moore came to enjoy that character [I just finished season two].)  But I liked him on Soap, too (I liked pretty much everyone on Soap). 

• Love 4

Legendary ABC college gridiron PBP man Keith Jackson passed on Friday at 89 (what he passed on from is undetermined, though; no obituaries say as yet). He was known for saying "Whoa, Nellie!!" and "Hold the phone!", and also "FUM-BLE!" His voice was college football Saturdays on ABC for more than 50 years.

Here's an obit from SI:

https://www.si.com/college-football/2018/01/13/college-football-announcer-keith-jackson-dies

Also, to commemorate him, here is a shot of him from a YouTube clip of ABC's coverage of the 1981 World Series between the L.A. Dodgers and New York Yankees (first game was at Yankee Stadium in NYC):

keithjackson1981worldseries.jpg

Edited by bmasters9
  • Love 2

As a Wisconsin football fan, I always remember him saying "You do not want him in your secondary," as Ron Dayne ran for over 240 yards and 4 TDs against UCLA in the 1999 Rose Bowl.  That sound bite is included in a video montage shown at every home Badger game before the players take the field.  I'm sure Michigan fans recall the "Hello Heisman" said about Desmond Howard when he did the pose in the end zone.  

I don't know if the voices today will ever seem as iconic as Keith Jackson on Saturdays calling college football and Pat Summerall on Sundays calling NFL games.  The voices of autumn weekends . . .

• Love 3
29 minutes ago, navelgazer said:

Cranberries front woman Dolores ORiordan has died at age 46.

Cause of death not specified. 

Wow. I am a bit shocked. I always see her as this  20- something-year old waiflike young woman with the fairy voice. I was a fan of sorts but not a huge one. Still sad.

• Love 6
6 hours ago, vibeology said:

No! That’s far too young. I grew up in the 90s and her voice was constantly on my radio. This is a big loss. 

I gasped when I read the news. If you were a teen in the 90s, her voice was one that you heard as you matured, grew, and explored your fledgling autonomy and adulthood. And if you were Irish (I'm not; I'm an African-American woman), I'm sure there was something powerful and transgressive about Dolores singing in her Irish accent and achieving mainstream success.

Edited by HunterHunted
  • Love 11

Truly shocked about O'Riordan. Awful news to hear. 

2 hours ago, HunterHunted said:

If you were a teen in the 90s, her voice was one that you heard as you matured, grew, and explored your fledgling autonomy and adulthood.

I was just shy of my preteen years when the Cranberries broke big, but yeah, there was a time there in the '90s where you couldn't turn on a radio without hearing their songs. I just knew their big hits, myself, but I always liked them. 

• Love 2
3 hours ago, legaleagle53 said:

I see that after lying relatively low for the first couple of weeks, 2018 has suddenly decided to make its first bold statement of the year.  Well played, 2018.

I disagree.  Keith Jackson and Ray Thomas were impactful, in their respective fields.  Even moreso that The Cranberries.  I like the Cranberries, and 46 is FAAAR too young, but they didn’t advance their art very far, comparetively.

8 hours ago, roamyn said:

I disagree.  Keith Jackson and Ray Thomas were impactful, in their respective fields.  Even moreso that The Cranberries.  I like the Cranberries, and 46 is FAAAR too young, but they didn’t advance their art very far, comparetively.

I have no idea who either of those people are or their impact on anything even after googling. Perhaps it's generational. Furthermore, maybe The Cranberries' impact is one yet to be felt.

Edited by HunterHunted
  • Love 7
5 hours ago, HunterHunted said:

I have no idea who either of those people are or their impact on anything even after googling. Perhaps it's a generational. Furthermore, maybe The Cranberries' impact is one yet to be felt.

Are you a big sports nut--particularly NCAA College Football & the accompanying end of the year Bowl games? If not, that may be why you're still drawing a blank on who Keith Jackson was. As a sportscaster, College Football & the December/Holiday Bowl games were his forte, though he also covered other, usually "big ticket", sports events for ABC, beyond the world of College Football & was a Member of the Sportscasters Hall of Fame.

Even I didn't know who Ray Thomas was until I read that he was in the Moody Blues (which I'm familiar with but not super knowledgeable about, though I have heard Knights in White Satin, including the flute solo, numerous times). The 2 songs I like(d) most by them were their 1980's hits, I Know You're Out There Somewhere & In Your Wildest Dreams. Until I started reading about them again, I had somehow forgotten that the group was named as a 2018 Rock & Roll Hall of Fame inductee. Too bad he didn't live long enough to be inducted, if he was named among the past & present band members receiving the honor. I think the ceremonies are later this year.

14 hours ago, DearEvette said:

Awww, RIP Dolores.  Man, I had their No Need To Argue CD on repeat in the mid-90s.  I just loved to wail along with Zombie whenever it came on.

12 year old me did that too! She's been kind off the radar for a while but just hearing this and going back to Youtube to listen to their songs brought back so many memories. Very sad

• Love 2