Type keyword(s) to search

In Memoriam: Entertainment Industry Celebrity Deaths

Message added by Mr. Sparkle,

Reminder:

This thread is for deaths of celebrities in the entertainment business only. No notices about politicians, please. 

• Start Topic

6 hours ago, merylinkid said:

RIP Mr. Nabors.    

Never really a fan of Andy Griffith Show or Gomer Pyle, but Mr. Nabors was always kinda there so I was sad to hear of his passing.

Nor was I-- nonetheless, Jim Nabors has his place in television history that cannot be denied, and therefore it made me somewhat sad for the fans of those 60s CBS comedies that he was in to hear that he had passed on. 

• Love 2

From the Indianapolis Motor Speedway's Twitter account:

Tweet From the Indianapolis Motor Speedway on the Passing of Jim Nabors, IMS Friend and Longtime Singer of '(Back Home Again in) Indiana' During the Pre-Race Activities on Race Day

If you click the embedded video, you'll see/you should see Jim's photo from his first Pre-Race appearance, in 1972, & you'll see/you should see the complete performance video of Jim's last live performance of "(Back Home Again in) Indiana" during the 2014 Pre-Race activities. If you've never heard him sing before, you might want to see the (short) video.

Edited by BW Manilowe
To add Jim Nabors name to the link; it needed to be there.
  • Love 1

Sir Elton John posted to his Twitter & his Instagram that his mother, Sheila Farenbrother, died this morning at age 92. He said he was "in shock" over it; he had just seen her last Monday. They had been estranged for 8 years (some sources say 9 years); however many years it was, he told the UK's Daily Mail, after marking her 90th birthday, that they'd been in touch.

Edited by BW Manilowe
I thought it could use 1 less comma, then changed my mind.
  • Love 2

For me, Bollywood Loses Another Legend.  I grew up watching Shashi Kapoor and Amitabh Bachchan in movies, playing brothers, friends. A friendship that continued outside of movies; and they were related via marriage. Though I can't recall which Kapoor relative is related to Bachchan's son-in-law.

I can't think of a comparable Hollywood family of actors to the Kapoors. They really are a dynasty, spanning talent from his father to his grand-nephews.

I know what I'll be doing this weekend.

• Love 4
1 hour ago, BW Manilowe said:

Sir Elton John posted to his Twitter & his Instagram that his mother, Sheila Farenbrother, died this morning at age 92. He said he was "in shock" over it; he had just seen her last Monday. They had been estranged for 8 years (some sources say 9 years); however many years it was, he told the UK's Daily Mail, after marking her 90th birthday, that they'd been in touch.

I guess it's good they made peace at the end.

1 hour ago, Spartan Girl said:

I guess it's good they made peace at the end.

I think it is. You know what they say about making amends with friends/loved ones since you never know when you won't be able to, & you might/will regret it later (or something like that).

• Love 2

I'm still reeling over David Cassidy's death.  I saw this article with tributes from other celebrities.  I thought it was cool and had some great photos of David.  I really liked the one from Maureen McCormick.  She secretly wanted to be a Partridge!  And I wanted to be a Partridge and/or a Brady! lol 

http://ew.com/tv/2017/11/21/david-cassidy-dead-celebrity-reactions/

Edited by SunnyBeBe
  • Love 4
10 hours ago, Silver Raven said:

I'm a big fan of his grandmother, Queen Marie (eldest daughter of Prince Alfred, son of QV), and he was raised quite a bit by his Grandmother.  She was regent during most of his minority.  This article makes it seem like Carol was welcomed back with open arms, and that wasn't the case.  He was a jerk throughout his entire life.

I always thought Michael was a great human being and deserved not to be treated by his government the way he was.

May he Rest In Peace.  He deserves it.

Edited by roamyn
  • Love 3
13 hours ago, auntjess said:

One could say she was the British Evelyn Nesbit of the 1960's in that they were great beauties but  when the lid was lifted off  each of their respective private lives with prominent men- it caused  tsunamis that shook their societies to the core and they each wound up haunted and taunted the rest of their lives despite the relatively passive roles each had played. I wonder if Miss Nesbit (still living but in very sorry condition by that point) ever got to meet her to try help her steer clear of the aftermath.  I hope you can RIP now, Miss Keeler. 

Edited by Blergh
minus -ly
  • Love 1

From People... David Cassidy's Will: $150K in Assets Left to Son Beau; Estranged Daughter Katie Left Out David's half brothers, Shaun, Patrick & Ryan were granted music memorabilia. To be fair, the article notes the Will was drafted in 2004 & Katie had an up & down relationship with David (as if to explain, &/or apologize for, the omission of his only daughter & firstborn).

OK, I just have to say that, even though Katie might have still been excluded, I feel like David should've updated his Will since 2004. Does that sound weird or wrong?

Edited by BW Manilowe
To add a parenthesis & a comment. And fix a sentence.
  • Love 4
16 hours ago, BW Manilowe said:

From People... David Cassidy's Will: $150K in Assets Left to Son Beau; Estranged Daughter Katie Left Out David's half brothers, Shaun, Patrick & Ryan were granted music memorabilia. To be fair, the article notes the Will was drafted in 2004 & Katie had an up & down relationship with David (as if to explain, &/or apologize for, the omission of his only daughter & firstborn).

OK, I just have to say that, even though Katie might have still been excluded, I feel like David should've updated his Will since 2004. Does that sound weird or wrong?

That excerpt, to specifically put in your will that you won't nothing to be left to your child, it reads pretty harshly.

Edited by funkopop
  • Love 1
18 hours ago, BW Manilowe said:

Why? I haven't read up on it or anything, but what I do know is that David and Katie didn't even have a relationship. And just getting to know each other more recently? Is it law or rule that someone has to leave something in their will for all their children? Some leave nothing.

1 hour ago, funkopop said:

That excerpt, to specifically put in your will that you won't nothing to be left to your child, it reads pretty harshly.

Well, David had admitted that though she was his daughter, he wasn't a father to her, let alone a good father. They were estranged for most of her life. This may sound cold, but unless it was a way to make up for the lost years, should he have left her something?

Again, I don't know much about their relationship or lack of one, except for what I just recently learned after David died. I hadn't even realized she was his daughter.

• Love 1

Even though it would have been a wonderful gesture had Mr. Cassidy updated his will to include his daughter before his death, they did have a touching final time together at his deathbed and I hope she realizes that nothing can take that away from her and not let anyone taunt her over the lack of inheritance.

• Love 2
1 hour ago, GHScorpiosRule said:

Why? I haven't read up on it or anything, but what I do know is that David and Katie didn't even have a relationship. And just getting to know each other more recently? Is it law or rule that someone has to leave something in their will for all their children? Some leave nothing.

Well, David had admitted that though she was his daughter, he wasn't a father to her, let alone a good father. They were estranged for most of her life. This may sound cold, but unless it was a way to make up for the lost years, should he have left her something?

Again, I don't know much about their relationship or lack of one, except for what I just recently learned after David died. I hadn't even realized she was his daughter.

I can see not leaving a child you're not close to nothing. I'm such a child and I don't expect anything from my father. 

And I can see leaving whatever there is to the less successful child. Katie has a nice career going and probably doesn't need her dad's assets.

Many rich people leave little or nothing to their kids. Warren Buffet has been very open saying his kids are getting nothing.

• Love 2
  1. Most people don't update their wills (it means confronting your mortality).
  2. When this will was written Katie was 18, and from what little I've read their re-connecting was fraught, and never all that complete.
  3. It's a small estate.
  4. She was there at the end, and that's better than most estranged people get.

I'd much rather hyper-analyze the Duggars than this subject.  David Cassidy had talent that was never fully realized the way he wanted it to be; it took a long time for him to make peace with the way it was; and he lived a life that produced a child whose upbringing he never really participated in. It's kind of sad; it ended better than perhaps anyone thought it would; and I'm feeling intrusive so I believe I will Peace Out now. 

• Love 4

It's always been my belief that we are owed nothing by our parents.  My mother got a house and some shares of AT&T in my grandfather's pension.  My uncle got all the money.  Fair?  Who cares.  We had a nice house in a very upscale suburbs.

• Love 7
22 hours ago, funkopop said:

If you are excluding someone that could inherit through intestacy, then you must very specifically exclude them.   This avoids a Will challenge.   Otherwise the person could say "well, they always meant to leave me something, it just got overlooked."   This makes it very clear there was no intent to leave anything.

But yes, you should ALWAYS periodically review and update your Will as necessary.   Every 5 years or after every major life event, birth of a child, divorce, remarriage, death of a child, etc.

• Love 7

Marriage voids a will, so if he had remarried he would have died intestate.  Divorce does not; every divorce lawyer should include that in the List of Things to discuss with your client, like changing the locks on the house and the password to your email.  

• Love 1
31 minutes ago, funkopop said:

I don't think he was ever married to Katie's mom.

He wasn't. Katie was raised by her mom & stepdad. I think David's always taken the attitude that he's just the sperm donor (or something similar), as far as Katie's concerned, since they always had an "up & down" relationship. But I noticed while reading about the will that Katie's middle name is Evelyn (I think pronounced as Eve-lyn, not Ev-ah-lynn; at least that's the way I heard it once), which was David's mom's name. She's Katherine Evelyn Cassidy; so I'm trying to figure out if that was David's only other contribution to her existence, or if Katie's Mom knew that was David's mom's name & she gave it to Katie so she'd have another part of David's side of the family since he was so uninvolved.

David was, however, married to his son Beau's mom, Sue Shifrin. They got married  in 1991, but I don't know if she was already pregnant when they married. They divorced in the last couple of years; presumably due to his drinking.

Yes, my point was that he was married to Sue when he wrote the will.  He never updated it and their divorce didn't nullify it as some people assume that it does, so it was effective when he died. 

$150K?  Is that the extent of his estate?  No real estate, furniture, art, jewelry, cars?   I wonder if much of his net worth was eaten up by the cost of his care due to the dementia.  I wonder if he still gets royalties from Partridge Family recordings.  I'm sure there was a slight upswing in the sale of those.  

And yes, always update your will after a major life event.  Also look at your named beneficiary for life insurance, any pension you have, etc.  I was at a "planning for retirement" seminar recently when this was brought up and one of the attendees realized she still had her first husband listed as the beneficiary of a life insurance policy, and she had divorced him 15 years earlier.  

• Love 6
1 hour ago, Calvada said:

$150K?  Is that the extent of his estate?  No real estate, furniture, art, jewelry, cars?   I wonder if much of his net worth was eaten up by the cost of his care due to the dementia.  I wonder if he still gets royalties from Partridge Family recordings.  I'm sure there was a slight upswing in the sale of those.  

And yes, always update your will after a major life event.  Also look at your named beneficiary for life insurance, any pension you have, etc.  I was at a "planning for retirement" seminar recently when this was brought up and one of the attendees realized she still had her first husband listed as the beneficiary of a life insurance policy, and she had divorced him 15 years earlier.  

Would he really have more money than that though? I'm kind of surprised he had that much. Hasn't it been a very long time since he's worked?  I'm sure he didn't get paid a whole lot for the Partridge Family way back when.  TV actors didn't get millions a season like they do now.  

• Love 2
3 hours ago, Calvada said:

$150K?  Is that the extent of his estate?  No real estate, furniture, art, jewelry, cars?  I wonder if much of his net worth was eaten up by the cost of his care due to the dementia.  I wonder if he still gets royalties from Partridge Family recordings.  I'm sure there was a slight upswing in the sale of those.  

He filed  Chapter 11 in 2015, & he also went to rehab for drinking & got his third divorce the same year. He apparently didn't learn about his dementia until earlier this year, 2017, right before he announced it. He was still expecting a legal payment of around $94,000, which he won after suing Sony (I think) in regards to something involving his PF royalties.

MSN.com reprinted this article  which discusses David's at least alleged net worth at the time of his death.

• Love 3
2 hours ago, Maharincess said:

Would he really have more money than that though? I'm kind of surprised he had that much. Hasn't it been a very long time since he's worked? I'm sure he didn't get paid a whole lot for the Partridge Family way back when.  TV actors didn't get millions a season like they do now.  

David was still doing concerts through earlier this year, when he announced his dementia diagnosis & that he was also retiring from performing, apparently because of the diagnosis. If the linked article above has the same info as 1 I read somewhere else & lost track of now, it was quoted as saying (from a plan he filed in 2016 with the court & whomever else is involved in a Chapter 11 bankruptcy filing) that/something like he was performing into 2016 & expected to be able to do so for the next three years (apparently meaning into 2019... & then the dementia was diagnosed & David retired from the stage, partially due to the dementia & partially to focus on himself).

• Love 1
21 minutes ago, legaleagle53 said:

I'm only a year older than that, so I can definitely say that 55 is WAY too young.  Rest in peace, Mr. Reevis.

I'm a year younger than him; 55 is way too young. Agreed.

Edited by BW Manilowe
To remove an extraneous letter.
  • Love 2

Ironclad Tupper, beloved local celebrity with international outreach to thousands, has crossed over the rainbow bridge.  As the bulldog mascot of Bryant University, Tupper never hesitated to "lend a paw" by welcoming and cheering his student fans.  Tupper passed "doing what he did best — being adored" during the annual Festival of Lights on the Bryant campus.

"Ironclad" was his kennel name, but he was actually named "Tupper" after Earl Tupper of Tupperware fame, who donated the land for the school's beautiful campus in Smithfield, RI.

He loved the limelight, pausing regularly for photos and TV cameras.  According to Bryant U. President, Ronald K. Machtley, former Republican member of the United States House of Representatives from Rhode Island, “He developed into a royal monarch.  He had his own carriage. He would always give high-fives. He loved basketball games.”  Tupper was treated like royalty and he acted the part, riding around campus in a dog carrier or golf cart, dressed in a Bulldogs T-shirt.

http://www.providencejournal.com/news/20171207/bryant-universitys-bulldog-mascot-who-died-of-stroke-will-be-sorely-missed

LOL - So much name dropping, so little time.

Edited by Tunia
  • Love 4