Type keyword(s) to search

In Memoriam: Entertainment Industry Celebrity Deaths

Message added by Mr. Sparkle,

Reminder:

This thread is for deaths of celebrities in the entertainment business only. No notices about politicians, please. 

• Start Topic

(does anyone remember the hilarious book she wrote about her experiences with pregnancy, childbirth, and the raising of a toddler -- "Having a Baby Can Be a Scream"?)

YES.  I actually bought that paperback from a church book sale when I was 12.    I remember two lines specifically:

"[Everyone said childbirth would be painful]...I screamed and screamed!  True, that was during conception, but..."

and

[why she was thrown out of a childbirth class] "After we watched the film [of the woman giving birth], I yelled, 'C'mon, Doc! run it backwards! Let's see the baby disappear!"

• Love 1

I love that Joan's funeral will be star studded and a grand affair!  She is was cremated so there will be no casket unless they put the ashes in one.  I bet there will be upbeat music and a lot of laughs!    

Edited by wings707

For television fans, Richard Kiel will forever be remembered as Kanamit -- who tried to "serve man"!!! 

Oh wow. Forgot about that. I really loved that episode of the Twilight Zone. RIP Mr. Kiel, you'll be missed :(.

Came across this on Ellen's site, a nice tribute to both Robin and Joan.

I know the celebrity death trio thing is a really morbid game, but probably neither Arlene Martel nor JJ Murphy "qualify".  Not that their lives are worth any less because of it, but typically it's about a level of public recognition, and while a decent number of people might know their faces, their names are probably totally unknown even to most of those people.

Again, the whole theory of big name celebs dying in trios is total bullshit (because it's not even like they die on the same day usually), but mark my words there are likely creepy betting pools out there somewhere for who will go next and when.

You misunderstand, Kromm.  I wasn't suggesting that those two passings were related to the so-called "rule of three"  or inviting anyone to begin speculating about who's next.  I was simply commenting on the fact that we've had a rash of unexpected celebrity passings lately, that's all.

What's the timetable rule here? I asked someone yesterday morning who would be the third (I was counting Gardner as the first). Now I feel like this is my fault. What a classy lady, she will be missed.

It depends on the basis of classifying the three.

Just found out that Angus Lennie died a few days ago, which means that three actors who were in The Great Escape died this year

1. James Garner: The Scrounger

2. Ricahrd Attenborough: Big X

3. Angus Lennie: The Mole

It's possible other actors from the movie have died this year, but I haven't checked.

It depends on the basis of classifying the three.

Just found out that Angus Lennie died a few days ago, which means that three actors who were in The Great Escape died this year

1. James Garner: The Scrounger

2. Ricahrd Attenborough: Big X

3. Angus Lennie: The Mole

It's possible other actors from the movie have died this year, but I haven't checked.

McQueen died decades ago (like stupid young).  Bronson is still chugging along, albeit pretty old.  Pleasence died back in the 90s, as did James Donald. McCallum is riding that NCIS show into the ground.

Polly Bergen passed away.  http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/news/actress-polly-bergen-dies-at-734506

Some of my family knew her for years, and she was a lovely lady - classy and also kind.  

I need to get out more.  I thought Polly Bergen played "Flo" on Alice and I was quite impressed with all the mentions of her other work, of which I was completely unaware.  Then I read the article and realized Polly Bergen is NOT Polly Holliday.

I know I should remember her but I just don't.  She has left quite a body of work and her accomplishments are impressive.

I remember Ms. Bergen primarily from some 1960s comedies that have not aged well, such as Move Over, Darling and Kisses for My President.  More recently, she played the mother of Geena Davis's character in a few episodes of Commander in Chief (wow, even that was over 8 years ago...)

I need to get out more.  I thought Polly Bergen played "Flo" on Alice and I was quite impressed with all the mentions of her other work, of which I was completely unaware.  Then I read the article and realized Polly Bergen is NOT Polly Holliday.

I know I should remember her but I just don't.  She has left quite a body of work and her accomplishments are impressive.

Aquarius, Polly Bergen was in the original Cape Fear, playing Gregory Peck's wife. Does that jog your memory? More recently, she was in John Waters' Crybaby. That one might hurt your brain.

• Love 2

Aquarius, Polly Bergen was in the original Cape Fear, playing Gregory Peck's wife. Does that jog your memory? More recently, she was in John Waters' Crybaby. That one might hurt your brain.

The only thing I can remember about Crybaby is Johnny Depp. No brain pain there.

:-) I don't believe I saw the original Cape Fear. But thanks, I will probably look those up

Paul Revere (real name) of Paul Revere & the Raiders passed away.   Damn.   

I got to see them in concert a couple years ago at the Del Mar Fair.   Songs just as good and Paul was just as funny.   My mother was not amused even though she was the right age to have enjoyed them the first time and in the age range for his jokes.   

• Love 3

Paul Revere (real name) of Paul Revere & the Raiders passed away.   Damn.   

I got to see them in concert a couple years ago at the Del Mar Fair.   Songs just as good and Paul was just as funny.   My mother was not amused even though she was the right age to have enjoyed them the first time and in the age range for his jokes.   

What a bummer :(. May he rest in peace.

The clip of the band performing that was shown on the local news, probably pulled from YouTube, of course focused on Lindsay. Well, not "focused" because it was blurry black & white, but you know what I mean. I'm not sure the anchor even knew the close-up was not of Revere.

• Love 2

My favorite from the group was and is It's Just Like Me. As someone mentioned above, Where the Action Is was after school must see TV. Paul Revere and the Raiders with their colonial on stage costumes were one of the things that the made pre-psychadelic rock era fun. Rest peacefully sir.

Edited by Snowprince

Marian Seldes is one of those people whose face I recognize from various TV shows, but never knew her name. 

R.I.P., Ms. Seldes.

Edited by Ohwell

Well, damn.  Jan Hooks is gone.

She was one of the most EXTREMELY UNDERRATED comedians/actors of our time! Her and Phil Hartman performing together was nothing short of magical. She made every character she played her own. She was witty, playful, engaging... I'm crying right now. UGH! This hurts so much.

I so hope she is at peace. What an amazingly talented woman she was. I just wish she had gotten her much deserved respect and accolades while she was still living. Maybe now, Lorne Michaels will finally give her her own Best of Jan Hooks SNL disk! She deserved it eons ago.

Edited by Jiggle Billy
  • Love 9

I think the cast with Hooks, Hartman, Sandler, Farley (and God, I never realized how many from that cast are no longer with us!), etc. was the next best after SNL's original roster. It's sad that another cast member is gone.

I always thought her Hillary Clinton and Tammy Faye Bakker were hilarious.  :-(

May Ms. Hooks RIP.

• Love 2