Type keyword(s) to search

In Memoriam: Entertainment Industry Celebrity Deaths

Message added by Mr. Sparkle,

Reminder:

This thread is for deaths of celebrities in the entertainment business only. No notices about politicians, please. 

• Start Topic

It is absolutely crazy when you remember she was only in her mid-late 20's when she played Georgette. I always forget just how young she really was.

Even though the show was best when Mary's best friend was Rhoda, there was something so trusting and sweet about Georgette that made her so special, and the same could be said for her character on Coach, too (Shirley, Howard's wife).

RIP. 😢 

• Love 18

Those of us who were just wee children in the mid-1980s would also know Engel as the voice of Love-a-Lot from The Care Bears Movie. That was my introduction to her, and I remember afterward I'd always be happy to see her on a "Mary Tyler Moore" rerun, 'cause, hey, that's the voice of Love-a-Lot :D!

Very sad to hear of her passing. May she rest in peace. 

• Love 7
59 minutes ago, Calvada said:

Georgia Engel, of The Mary Tyler Moore Show and Everybody Loves Raymond, dead at 70. 

What a sad coincidence - I just watched her in an episode of the One Day at a Time reboot a few hours ago.

• Love 3
2 hours ago, Calvada said:

Georgia Engel, of The Mary Tyler Moore Show and Everybody Loves Raymond, dead at 70.  No cause determined; she was a Christian Scientist and did not consult doctors.

That's too bad. I loved her character on Mary Tyler Moore and she was one of the few characters I liked on Everybody Loves Raymond. RIP Georgia Engel.

• Love 7
2 hours ago, Annber03 said:

Those of us who were just wee children in the mid-1980s would also know Engel as the voice of Love-a-Lot from The Care Bears Movie. That was my introduction to her, and I remember afterward I'd always be happy to see her on a "Mary Tyler Moore" rerun, 'cause, hey, that's the voice of Love-a-Lot :D!

Very sad to hear of her passing. May she rest in peace. 

Had no idea she played Love-a-Lot! Loved The Care Bears as I was growing up. Loved her in Everybody Loves Raymond. RIP Mrs/Ms/Miss Engel.

• Love 3
1 minute ago, AntiBeeSpray said:

Had no idea she played Love-a-Lot! Loved The Care Bears as I was growing up. Loved her in Everybody Loves Raymond. RIP Mrs/Ms/Miss Engel.

I never imagined that not only Rhoda, but also Phyllis and even Sue-Ann would survive Georgette. She brought joy and laughter to many so I hope that somehow brought contentment to her. RIP, Miss Engel! 

• Love 11

Georgette was one of my favorite characters on the Mary Tyler Moore Show. So sweet and funny. Also loved her later on when she played Robert Barone's mother-in-law on Everybody Loves Raymond. The episode where Robert caught her secretly smoking and the one where Ray bonded with her so great. She was also in an episode of The Office playing a lady Erin(Ellie Kemper) did errands for while she was in Florida.

Georgia_Engel_Ed_Helms_and_Ellie_Kemper_

• Love 12
10 hours ago, Blergh said:

I never imagined that not only Rhoda, but also Phyllis and even Sue-Ann would survive Georgette. She brought joy and laughter to many so I hope that somehow brought contentment to her. RIP, Miss Engel! 

Ted Knight died in 1986. The Mary Tyler Moore Show wouldn't lose another regular cast member until 2017, when Mary herself died. The majority of the show's cast is surprisingly but happily still with us today. 

• Useful 1
  • Love 10
13 hours ago, UYI said:

Even though the show was best when Mary's best friend was Rhoda, there was something so trusting and sweet about Georgette that made her so special,

I never realized Georgia Engel was so young during her Mary Tyler Moore days.  Georgette was sweet but could throw some pointed zingers.    R.I.P. Ms. Engel.  

• Love 9
On 4/13/2019 at 9:32 AM, Blergh said:
On 4/13/2019 at 9:19 AM, MissAlmond said:

R.I.P. Charles Van Doren. 

Herb Stempel is still alive and probably gloating he outlived Charles Van Doren. The last interview I saw, he was still bitter.  I believe Herb has outlived all those he felt had done him wrong.  Now that's a dish eaten cold.  

Yeah, but since few folks remember the scandal, he'd almost certainly be eating the dish solo and getting a bunch of 'what happened?' and 'who cares?'reactions if he tried to recount the events! Well, RIP Mr. Van Doren and I DO hope Mr. Stempel truly DOES make his peace with what happened and not let it sour his twilight years. 

Twilight?  The man is 92 years old! As for letting go of the bitterness I'm pretty sure that ship sailed long ago. I believe he's been angry about it all since 1956.  Probably kept him alive.

• Love 5
32 minutes ago, ratgirlagogo said:

As for letting go of the bitterness I'm pretty sure that ship sailed long ago. I believe he's been angry about it all since 1956.  Probably kept him alive.

"Is there anything you want to talk about today, Mr. Stempel?"

"Yes.  I would like to talk about Charles Van Doren. . ."

Edited by MissAlmond
  • Love 3
10 minutes ago, Silver Raven said:

Yeah, that's from two years ago, but it popped up again today.

Thanks for the correction/info. I edited/deleted the link.  I wish whomever keeps reposting old obits in original or other sources like they’re new (& I know there’re probably multiple people who do it) would stop doing it & confusing everyone. I didn’t remember he had already died, so that’s why I posted (& I’d bet I probably posted the real obit originally too).

• Love 2
13 hours ago, UYI said:

Ted Knight died in 1986. The Mary Tyler Moore Show wouldn't lose another regular cast member until 2017, when Mary herself died. The majority of the show's cast is surprisingly but happily still with us today. 

Indeed.  Betty White is 97, Cloris Leachman 92, Ed Asner is 89, and Gavin Macleod 88, but all are hanging in there.  Valerie Harper, reputed health issues and all, is plugging away at 79, as is John Amos (Gordy Howard, the weatherman).  Even John Gabriel, who was in a grand total of  5 episodes as sports anchor Andy Rivers, keeps on rolling at 87.  

(Did you know that John Gabriel played the Professor in "Marooned", the unaired original pilot for Gilligan's Island?  With the familiar Gilligan/the Skipper, too/the millionaire and his wife, but with Kit "Who?" Smythe as Ginger Grant, and Nancy McCarthy, one of Bob Denver's fellow Dobie Gillis repertory players, as "Bunny".  The things you learn…)

• Useful 4
  • Love 7

Don Perry,  the longtime minor league hockey player and coach, passed away on Monday at age 89.

Perry's NHL coaching resume was limited to only parts of three seasons with the Los Angeles Kings, but during that stint, he led the Kings to what is arguably still the most famous victory in team history, even with the two Stanley Cups the team won this decade.  "The Miracle on Manchester" [Avenue] was the 3rd game of the best-of-five division semifinal playoffs the Kings played against the dynasty-in-forming Edmonton Oilers, on April 10, 1982.  (Edmonton had won the division; the Kings had finished fourth, having had a horrible season [firing coach Parker McDonald in December 1981 and appointing Perry in his place] and barely reaching the playoffs, even though the NHL was then structured so that 16 of the 21 teams in the league reached post-season.) With a goal by Mark Messier and two by Wayne Gretzky, the Oilers led 5-0 after two periods before the underdog Kings rallied with five unanswered goals in the third period and won in the sudden-death overtime, 6-5.

Perhaps 6-5 wasn't that impossible in an era where the Kings had won the first game of the series, in Edmonton, by a score of 10-8, but the rally from five goals down was still well-remembered.  I can recall hearing Kings player Jim Fox (an analyst for the team since his 1990 retirement) talk about how Perry (an "old-school" type of coach) had quietly challenged the team during the second intermission to play hard and at least salvage some pride.  Fox related Perry telling one of the defensemen (sorry, I forget who), "you're a big guy.  What are you afraid of?"  Not immortality, it appears.

Perry wasn't destined for greatness (he was fired during the 1983-84 season), and while the Kings did win the series from Edmonton, they were eliminated in the next round.  (And Edmonton won 5 Stanley Cups in the next decade, whereas it would take 30 years for the Kings to win it all.)  But for one night, not even "The Great One" could stop a Don Perry team short on accomplishments but long on heart.

• Love 2

Charity Tillemann-Dick, a 35 year old Opera singer who had two -- two!!! -- double lung transplants has died. Too young. I didn't know her, but a number of people I know from a Facebook group knew her and say she was a sweetheart. It's just flat-out wrong that a sweet and talented woman 22 years my junior should die.

https://www.cbsnews.com/news/opera-singer-who-received-two-double-lung-transplants-dies-at-35-charity-tillemann-dick/?fbclid=IwAR02ojhe-qdYJZD6djgLVN9G8ieZE3qTIS8OjpV-bmkHpxzHv45XzURTUb0

This article was more information on her life and death:

https://www.bbc.com/news/world-us-canada-48043765?#_=_

Edited by praeceptrix
Added a link to another, more detailed, article
1 minute ago, SimoneS said:

I was such a fan of Ken Kercheval. I didn't like Dallas as much as others, but I hella loved Cliff. I would always root for him, but he could never beat J.R. who I despised, but boy did Ken Kercheval make their rivalry fun. He was a talented actor who held his own against Hagman. 

Rest in peace, Ken.

I didn't know other people were rooting for Cliff too! I did too. I wanted him to beat JR so much. RIP Ken. 

• Love 5
9 hours ago, SimoneS said:

I was such a fan of Ken Kercheval. I didn't like Dallas as much as others, but I hella loved Cliff. I would always root for him, but he could never beat J.R. who I despised. But boy did Ken Kercheval make their rivalry fun. He was a talented actor who held his own against Hagman. 

Rest in peace, Ken.

R.I.P. Ken Kercheval. 

Personal opinion:  Dallas in the beginning was a perfectly cast show.  I'm of the unpopular opinion David Ackroyd's Gary Ewing was better casting than the switch to Ted Shackelford (nothing against the actor).  But Dallas lost something for me.  Making Pam not a biological Barnes.  Killing Digger off too soon.  The retcon of Bobby as father of Jenna's daughter (and Priscilla Presley's wimpy Jenna). 

But one of the biggest regrets for me, besides the breaking up of Bobby and Pam,  was J.R. becoming a character so powerful, he rarely was beaten.  In the process it turned Cliff Barnes from this bright, up and coming politician to a weak, pathetic man*.  When Dallas used to be shown in reruns on TNT?  TBS? can't remember now, I always found myself tuning out after the early seasons were aired.  

Still, Ken Kercheval played both versions of Cliff well.  Sorry to hear of his passing.  

*Jim Davis death and his portrayal of Jock was, of course, a huge loss to Dallas.  But that, obviously, was beyond anyone's control.

Edited by MissAlmond
  • Love 8
16 minutes ago, MissAlmond said:

R.I.P. Ken Kercheval. 

Personal opinion:  Dallas in the beginning was a perfectly cast show.  I'm of the unpopular opinion David Ackroyd's Gary Ewing was better casting than the switch to Ted Shackelford (nothing against the actor).  But Dallas lost something for me.  Making Pam not a biological Barnes.  Killing Digger off too soon.  The retcon of Bobby as father of Jenna's daughter (and Priscilla Presley's wimpy Jenna). 

But one of the biggest regrets for me, besides the breaking up of Bobby and Pam,  was J.R. becoming a character so powerful, he rarely was beaten.  In the process it turned Cliff Barnes from this bright, up and coming politician to a weak, pathetic man.  When Dallas used to be shown in reruns on TNT?  TBS? can't remember now, I always found myself tuning out after the early seasons were aired.  

Still, Ken Kercheval played both versions of Cliff well.  Sorry to hear of his passing.  

It was a perfectly cast show! And I also loved David Ackroyd as Gary. And while I agree that I'm also bitter that Pam ended up not a Barnes, and turning Cliff into a total loser, and well, and other things, this was a show my parents and I never failed to watch together. Larry Hagman, the Original Magnificent Bastard, as JR Ewing, someone I loved to hate, yet found charming and repulsive at the same time. And now you've inspired me to go to that thread and rant about casting and story lines!

R.I.P., Ken.

Edited by GHScorpiosRule
  • Love 4
24 minutes ago, GHScorpiosRule said:

Larry Hagman, the Original Magnificent Bastard, as JR Ewing, someone I loved to hate, yet found charming and repulsive at the same time

Larry Hagman was great as JR.  He grew up knowing oil men and it showed in his portrayal.  The Jock/JR dynamic of Jock being the one person JR wanted to be proud of him was lost forever after Jim Davis died.  

And now you've inspired me to go to that thread and rant about casting and story lines!

I try to stay away from that thread because I have decades of casting/storylines I'm still angry about, the last being Sleepy Hollow. After divorcing that show,  I swore off having passion ones. However, years of TV watching bitterness remains.  (LOL)

Edited by MissAlmond
  • Love 2
8 minutes ago, MissAlmond said:

Larry Hagman was great as JR.  He grew up knowing oil men and it showed in his portrayal.  The Jock/JR dynamic of Jock being the one person JR wanted to be proud of him was lost forever after Jim Davis died.

And Joan Collins even said at the time of Larry's passing that his portrayal of J.R. was what had inspired her portrayal of Alexis on Dynasty. What a shame we couldn't have had a cross-over. I'd have PAID to see J.R. and Alexis go head-to-head!

• Love 7
53 minutes ago, GHScorpiosRule said:

It was a perfectly cast show!

A perfectly cast character is great itself but perfectly cast TV shows/movies is a reminder of the underappreciated talent behind the scenes people bring to a finalized production.  

Edited by MissAlmond
  • Love 11

I was pretty young when my mom was watching Dallas, but I also rooted for Cliff. 

I can’t remember the first Gary but do remember that the Ewings themselves seemed to forget he existed for long periods of time and that Gary and Val seemed to forget their eldest daughter existed at times too. I know at this point there was Dallas and the spin-off Knots Landing we were dealing with, but it still bugged me.

Anyway, rip Ken Kerchival.

• Love 3

My Mom was a regular Knots Landing watcher so I didn't really get to watch Dallas myself until I got a little older and there were reruns on different channels. I kind of remember her watching Dallas too but she must have stopped at some point. I felt bad for Ken and his character during the later seasons too. The imbalance in regards to Cliff and JR on Dallas reminds me of the rivalry between Jack and Victor on The Young & The Restless.

• Love 3
10 hours ago, legaleagle53 said:

If the pic that accompanied that article is a recent pic of Ken Kercheval, all I have to say is that I hope I look even HALF that good when I'm in my 80s.  RIP, Ken!

It looks to me like a screenshot from an episode; probably taken in Cliff Barnes’ (Kercheval’s character’s) office.

Kercheval was born (& apparently died) in Clinton, IN—a small town near Indianapolis; but he grew up in Wolcottville, IN, another small town northwest of my hometown & between it & the Elkhart/South Bend, IN area.

• Love 2
14 minutes ago, UYI said:

Excellent pic, UYI! Not only does it show the great comradery  between these two performers (which IMO could have been a contributing factor re Mr. Kercheval staying on the show the WHOLE duration despite his character never once prevailing) but also is quite ironic inasmuch as (unlike with  his other victims such as Sue-Ellen or Bobby)  J.R. never ONCE shared a relaxing, fun time with Cliff Barnes as these two clearly did offscreen! RIP, Mr. Kercheval. 

• Love 3
21 hours ago, Blergh said:

Excellent pic, UYI! Not only does it show the great comradery  between these two performers (which IMO could have been a contributing factor re Mr. Kercheval staying on the show the WHOLE duration despite his character never once prevailing) but also is quite ironic inasmuch as (unlike with  his other victims such as Sue-Ellen or Bobby)  J.R. never ONCE shared a relaxing, fun time with Cliff Barnes as these two clearly did offscreen! RIP, Mr. Kercheval. 

I agree!  Thanks, UYI!

All this talk of Cliff, J.R., and Dallas makes me think of  . . . Alan Beam.  Go figure.  

• Love 3