Type keyword(s) to search

S13.E21: Return to Sender

MyAimIsTrue
  • Start Topic

Gibbs and Senior FBI Agent T.C. Fornell unite after two British prisoners, including a former spy, escape and arrive stateside via a shipping container. Also, McGee is busy apartment hunting and determined to find out how DiNozzo purchased his lavish place.

Um, because Tony is older and was a Baltimore PD detective for several years before NCIS and with experience comes more money so my guess is he makes more than Tim due to seniority. Also - speculating - if you grew up with a conman for a father, you might be very careful saving your money.

• Love 1

Maybe he inherited money from his rich Uncle Clive afterall.  Tony may have had more policing experience than Tim but he only has a couple of years more time working for NCIS.  If you recall in season 9's Phych Out episode Tony found out Tim was taking home more money.  Even with deduction for that to happen there couldn't be much difference in their actual pay grades.

• Love 1

Tony's mom was the one with money (Uncle Clive was on her side of the family) and Tony had a trust fund probably provided by her family.  It also seems like Senior didn't have access to those monies because if he had it would been tapped out long ago.

I'm wondering how Tim doesn't have a lot of money from his royalties. Wasn't he a famous author?

He admitted that he burned through the advance long ago. It bought a car and some clothes, IIRC.

In real life, he very likely wouldn't have gotten anywhere near that much *even if he was a best seller*. He had one book, and it wasn't a national phenomena. His advance would have been fairly low, and it would have been split over 2-4 payments. He might have earned out the advance and gotten royalties (though not likely), but that wouldn't have been big money, and with no later books to drive more sales, his sales would have dropped to almost nil very quickly.

Of course, Hollywood doesn't understand this. They think novelists make big money and get gifts from their publishers. Ludicrous!

• Love 2

I am such an idiot. It took seeing his name on the file to figure out that Alan Dale's former director's name is the same as the catcher on Bud Abbott's famous baseball team.

RIP Director Morrow. Those NCIS directors sure have a high mortality rate.

• Love 2

They killed Director Morrow!  Well, at least it was a male repeating character this time.  How many times has Leon been kidnapped now?  Time to fire his protection or revoke his agent's badge,

So Tony is going to make a bundle off of selling his apartment when he leaves.  

• Love 3

They killed Director Morrow!  Well, at least it was a male repeating character this time.  How many times has Leon been kidnapped now?  Time to fire his protection or revoke his agent's badge,

So Tony is going to make a bundle off of selling his apartment when he leaves.

I suspect he's going to give McGee a sweetheart deal. Or maybe just a lease. In any case, no reason to waste the set.

So sorry to see Tom Morrow go.

• Love 3

I always liked Morrow, but that isn't why I hated this twist. I hate it because it seems like the writers can't think of anything else to do for drama other than kill someone off. Bonus points if it's because of some vendetta from the past. Seriously, DEA agents in Bogota don't have a mortality rate as high as Washington DC's NCIS unit. It's ridiculous.

• Love 10

2 weeks til the next episode? Again? CBS' lineups have been preempted a crap ton this spring. Anybody know why? Is it election stuff?

It's normal. They have 22-24 episodes per season, but the season lasts from September through May. That means lots of off weeks. They make sure to hit sweeps months -- November, Feb, and May -- but they do a lot of spreading out during the other months. I mean, technically, if they did 4 episodes every sweeps month, they would have only 10-12 episodes to air in September, October, December, January, March, and April. 

By the time April comes around, they're running really thin. Personally, I wish they would do away with the Sept-May season and instead have three distinct seasons -- Spring, Summer, Fall -- each with 13-episode runs.

Um, because Tony is older and was a Baltimore PD detective for several years before NCIS and with experience comes more money so my guess is he makes more than Tim due to seniority. Also - speculating - if you grew up with a conman for a father, you might be very careful saving your money.

Tim makes more money than Tony. According to the paycheck mix up episode. Which aired long after the government was forcing everybody into direct deposit, except for extreme circumstances.

Anyone know how many episodes are left? Tony looked a bit too happy that he wouldn't have to report the death in his apartment to any new owners, so yes I imagine he will sell or lease it to McGee. I find it hard to believe though that Tim and Deliah together don't make enough to afford a place they want.

• Love 1

Anyone know how many episodes are left? Tony looked a bit too happy that he wouldn't have to report the death in his apartment to any new owners, so yes I imagine he will sell or lease it to McGee. I find it hard to believe though that Tim and Deliah together don't make enough to afford a place they want.

DC and its environs are outrageously expensive.

Plus Delilah needs handicap accommodation. Even if a building has access, that doesn't mean that little things are set up for someone in a wheelchair, like:

heights of counters

width of bathroom doors

room in a bathroom to maneuver a wheelchair to get on and off a toilet

roll-in showers

ability to roll under counters and sinks 

And that's just what I can think of off the top of my head. (My father was in a wheelchair most of my life at a time when there was NO access to hardly anything)

Poor Morrow- and his wife completely oblivious in the next room. I was pissed that there were no scenes for the next one, so we have to wait another two weeks. All this preempting of network tv all year- no wonder live ratings are always up and down.

Tobias dating is nice, but poor guy can't even have a conversation with Gibbs without it getting awkward.

I thought it was going to be a twist - that the guy would go after Morrow's wife - eye for an eye, as it were. Especially since she was so warm and nice. I kept believing it until they found the body.

I always enjoy Fornell episodes. Then again, I've loved Joe Spano since I first saw him on Hill Street Blues.

• Love 6

Still, Tim and Delilah together would likely have an income of 200K and almost certainly more. Even in DC that would get a reasonably nice newer two-bedroom condo in DC or a close-in suburb.

Maybe Tim is still paying off student loans from all those degrees.

;)

I love Joe Spano as well but for some reason started feeling icky at the prospect of Fornell mentioning he was getting laid so I'm glad he hasn't been able to go on any dates yet.

Well, I was going to say we're about the same age, so it didn't bother me. But then I looked him up - and he's ten years older than me. So now I'm feeling a little younger than I did a few minutes ago!
  • Love 1

Still, Tim and Delilah together would likely have an income of 200K and almost certainly more. Even in DC that would get a reasonably nice newer two-bedroom condo in DC or a close-in suburb.

Government employees at the levels of Tim and Delilah probably make closer to $150-$175 than $200,00  at least in the real world.  And finding an accessible property.  According to apartments.com a 2 bedroom with wheelchair accessibilty, air conditioning, and parking run over $3000/month.  A one bedroom runs around $1500 and up but nicer places run well over $2000.

Joe Spano is awesome as Fornell, I adored him in Hill Street Blues also but had a megacrush on Daniel J Travanti who sadly hasn't aged as well as Joe. Plus I was horrified when he was an elderly serial killer in Criminal Minds.

• Love 2

Seriously, how does anyone afford to live in places like that?! I live in Southwest MI and a $3000 monthly housing payment would get you a giant luxury home with a maid, cook, and butler. Our mortgage is barely over $1000/month (including taxes/insurance) and we live in a 2-story 4 bed 2 1/2 bath single family home with .3 acre.

This is veering off topic but I wonder the same when we watch real estate reality shows, where the couple says "Our budget is $650,000" and they're looking at 3 bedroom ranches that would go for about $95k here. Mr. DVD and I live here because that's where our parents decided to live when we were kids and as it happens we love it here too, but I'd say we can check D.C. off of potential places to move if we want to live in something remotely comparable to what we live in now.

Government employees at the levels of Tim and Delilah probably make closer to $150-$175 than $200,00  at least in the real world.  And finding an accessible property.  According to apartments.com a 2 bedroom with wheelchair accessibilty, air conditioning, and parking run over $3000/month.  A one bedroom runs around $1500 and up but nicer places run well over $2000.

Their combined income would likely be well over 200K. I suspect Delilah is a higher grade than Tim. At the least they'd have a purchase budget around 600k. And newer buildings (of which there are many near the Navy Yard) typically have a number of accessible units. If they want a single family in North Arlington, they're hosed.

Not to be ghoulish, but Tim's father, who earned a comfortable salary until late in life and most likely was well-insured by his employer, just passed. He may have a little extra for the downpayment.

Not to be ghoulish, but Tim's father, who earned a comfortable salary until late in life and most likely was well-insured by his employer, just passed. He may have a little extra for the downpayment.

I though we, at least Americans were his employer wasn't he "the Admiral"? In any case its been a while since GI life Insurance could actually "buy the farm". I guess he served long enough that he could bump up from the minimum privately or the few open seasons the OPM has held oveer the years

I though we, at least Americans were his employer wasn't he "the Admiral"? In any case its been a while since GI life Insurance could actually "buy the farm". I guess he served long enough that he could bump up from the minimum privately or the few open seasons the OPM has held oveer the years

SGLI goes up to $400k, which I have to assume the Admiral maxed out, and it's tax free. Since his mother isn't a beneficiary, Tim and his sister would get at least $200k each, wouldn't they? I don't remember them mentioning a current Mrs. the Admiral. Even if he didn't leave anything else, $200k is a pretty healthy downpayment in most markets.

Okay. So..I'm a bit more coherent this morning. Any goodwill I had toward Glasberg has gone down the toilet.  Morrow was the BESTEST NCIS Director this show has had and they do this to him?!!! I am BEYOND PEEVED.  And now

Glasberg's statement about how "close compatriots" of the team will be hurt "fatally" in that one article I read yesterday makes sense. HE fucking BETTER NOT KILL Tobias!

I did love how Tobias was acting all angry and "this is our case" when the body turned up. And instead of it being a pissing contest, he KNEW Gibbs would fight to have this case be their jurisdiction. I snerked when he laughed that his plan worked, and then howled when it turned out NCIS and the FBI had to work together. So, Tobias can't avoid the paperwork, heh.

McGee and Bishop doing the apartment hunting and nagging Tony about his place was the weak point for me. Don't care. Because I know that where Tony is living now? IS NOT the place he was living in when the show started.

Vance has the Worst.Security.Ever.

Tom Morrow. I will miss you, you sexy Silver Fox who was the BESTEST Director Ever, and who was the only Director that Gibbs ever showed deference and respect.  I think I'll pull out my first two seasons of this show, so I can bask in the wonderfulness that was NCIS Director Tom Morrrow.

And now, a moment of silence, if you please.  Thank you.

Edited by GHScorpiosRule
  • Love 4

Okay. So..I'm a bit more coherent this morning. Any goodwill I had toward Glasberg has gone down the toilet.  Morrow was the BESTEST NCIS Director this show has had and they do this to him?!!! I am BEYOND PEEVED.  And now

Glasberg's statement about how "close compatriots" of the team will be hurt "fatally" in that one article I read yesterday makes sense. HE fucking BETTER NOT KILL Tobias!

DON'T EVEN THINK IT! DON'T SAY IT OUT LOUD! I WILL NEVER RECOVER!

• Love 1

We're veering off of episode talk here.  Would you guys like a speculation thread?  If so come up with a clever name for it and I'm happy to create one.

I don't know how clever it is - I'm not so good at that - but my favorite speculative moment in NCIS history was Gibbs vs. Gibbs: Clone or Evil Twin?

Edited by Julia

We're veering off of episode talk here.  Would you guys like a speculation thread?  If so come up with a clever name for it and I'm happy to create one.

Possible Thread Title: Speculation: Our Turn for the Plasma Clicker

Okay. So..I'm a bit more coherent this morning. Any goodwill I had toward Glasberg has gone down the toilet.  Morrow was the BESTEST NCIS Director this show has had and they do this to him?!!! I am BEYOND PEEVED. 

I haven't finished the episode yet, but I know what happens to Morrow.  Had to make sure my buddy GHScorpiosRule was OK.  I know she loves her some Morrow.  (That speculation that you put under the spoiler bar BETTER NOT come true!  NOT NOW!  NOT EVER!)

• Love 1

Possible Thread Title: Speculation: Our Turn for the Plasma Clicker

I love it!!

After I create the speculation thread please move any continuing discussion about real estate, salaries, etc. into it.  You guys rock.

• Love 1

How many months behind am I? A lot. Anyway... How many time has Vance been kidnapped/held at gunpoint?! Good grief, he should have a security detail 24/7. I was pretty shocked they actually killed Morrow, who seemed mostly decent. It was a pretty good set up for the last few episodes (and introducing new characters). Gibbs and Fornell are comedy gold, as always. 

I was rolling my eyes over McGee and Bishop trying to get all up in Tony's business re: his condo. I know Tony basically deserves it because he's nosy too, but good grief, I'm tired of all the snooping. He owns it, good for him, move on. 

• Love 2
16 hours ago, catray said:

How many months behind am I? A lot. Anyway... How many time has Vance been kidnapped/held at gunpoint?!

Not enough.  I can't stand the character and am ready for him to be off'd like the previous directors.  I was so disappointed when they killed Jackie and left him standing.  

• Love 1