Type keyword(s) to search

S15.E24: Winner Chosen

• Start Topic

random thoughts - 

Would anyone have recognized or remembered Tamyra or Allison I if the captions weren't on the TV screen?  I know I wouldn't. Tamyra looked like crap.  

Pia - i have a vague recollection of her, but she's another one I would not have recognized.  In the "Everyone in White"  beginning number, there were a bunch of people who I thought looked familiar, but I couldn't place.   Oh well.

Guarini looks good, sounds good.  I wonder what would have happened to Idol if he had won instead.

I LOVED Kelly's medley of hits.  

Bo Bice -   would not have recognized him at ALL, until he sang.  Then it was obvious.  But the whole "rockers medly" seemed kind of campy and like something out of the show "Glee." 

Caleb is turning into Meatloaf. 

• Love 5
(edited)

I would have been really satisfied either way.  Both LaPorsha and Trent were really great.  This was a really good show.  

But a part of me is sad that Michael Johns wasn't there.  

Edited by Archery
  • Love 8

I heard Ryan say to Simon, "I thought you were in London." So maybe it was truly a surprise.

I'm not part of the show and I knew Simon was going to be there.  It was on our local L.A. news this morning.  I'm sure Ryan knew.

Emotion from Ryan? I think I've only seen that once before, when Dick Clark died.

So, next January, when it's 10 degrees out and it's dark 16 hours a day... this stupid show won't show up. Damn.

• Love 16

I knew Trent would win...best singer on the show this year. Congrats to him!! I loved how he tried to get everyone to sing with him and they were all "Nah...it's all you, dude!" Dalton looked SOOOOOO happy for him and loved seeing him rock out! AWESOME!

Fun finale. Some great moments, some meh moments, but wow, they turned those lights OUT. LOL

• Love 7
Congrats, Trent, but God's in the bathtub, so . . .

You know what? Get your shit and get out. Just see yourself out. Because I cannot deal with this right now.

I'm trying my best not to laugh...

• Love 2

Trent. Another WGWG. He won't be memorable or recognizable in 4 weeks. WGWG, American Idol's downfall. Maybe Idol would have had more successful later idol if musical instruments weren't added. There has been little variation in winners of late and even less success.

• Love 6

Trent. Another WGWG. He won't be memorable or recognizable in 4 weeks. WGWG, American Idol's downfall. Maybe Idol would have had more successful later idol if musical instruments weren't added. There has been little variation in winners of late and even less success.

Trent is white and he knows how to play the guitar. But so do everyone else. That doesn't make him a WGWG. Aside from his audition, he hasn't pulled out his guitar much. He's so different from the other WGWG lol.
  • Love 11

Loved every minute of those 2 hours. I enjoyed seeing all of the past contestants. I recognized a lot of them. They all seem to have perfected their acts. I cannot even say what part I loved most.

I am happy that Trent won! He has an awesome voice. And seems like a nice guy too.

Is it weird I feel a little sad?

• Love 8
(edited)
Trent is white and he knows how to play the guitar. But so do everyone else. That doesn't make him a WGWG. Aside from his audition, he hasn't pulled out his guitar much. He's so different from the other WGWG lol.

Yeah, I wouldn't put Trent in that category. He can play the guitar, but he doesn't use it like a crutch in the way the Idol winners who did the Bowie tribute do. He's not a low-key guitar strummer who is sort of an uninteresting singer. He's like David Cook and Scotty in that he can sing.

Edited by 27bored
  • Love 7

What a great finale. Except for JLO and the winner, it was fantastic. Not everyone was back, but loved seeing them all. Kelly's medley was fantastic. Loved Carrie choosing "Something in the Water" out of all her hits to sing. Loved seeing Amber and Ruben duet, Nicki sending in a thank you, Candice bringing the house down with Melinda, Jordin all over the place, Pia doing Celine, Carly bringing back memories, etc. Bo and Skylar looked the most changed. Even though I grew to hate the show in the second half, there were a lot of great artists to come out of this show. I'll miss that part at least.

• Love 3
(edited)

She needs to ensure her ass for like $20M.

I mentioned that she should insure her ass so my son googled it and it's insured for 27 mil. Go JLo go.

They really should have done a tribute or a mention or something for Michael Johns. That was a bad oversight.

I'm not so much of a fan of Lee or Nick and I preferred Adam to Kris but I would have watched a WGWG concert for HOURS.

I didn't think Phillip was going to be there so squeeeee! Phillip, Clay and Bo, my FAVORITES.

I'm surprised Kara didn't run up to Casey and make him take his shirt off.

Is it sad that I knew every single Idol without the chyron except for one? (I'm sure at some point I knew there was a person called Amber Holcomb but I couldn't pick her out of a lineup of one person holding a name card).

"For now." Oh Sprinkles you scamp.

Edited by mojoween
  • Love 5
(edited)

Best Female Singer:  Tie--Jessica Sanchez and Jennifer Hudson

Best Male Singer:  Tie--Rueben Studdard and Caleb Johnson

Most Unrecognizable;  Male--Bo Bice,

Most Unrecognizable Female: Diana deGarmo (what the hell, how does she look 40?  Wasn't she 16 when she was on the show 10 years ago?  That's 26!!)  (edited to say: Omigod Archery said the exact same thing with the exact same ages 20 minutes ago! Great minds and all that..)

Best Moment: Simon coming out of the wings.  I was hoping he'd say, "It's all like some ghastly cruise ship show."

I screamed when Trent won.  He's sooo deserving.  Why did his single sound so great tonight?? It didn't last night.

Edited by WhineandCheez
  • Love 7

Maybe had I seen every episode I would be one of those, "haha your machinations didn't work" people. Instead all I see was a clearly average singer with an above average falsetto beat the better singer.

I was annoyed for 5 minutes, until I realized winning this show hasn't helped anyone since Jordan Sparks, with Phil Phillips being a special exception.

• Love 4
(edited)

Clay Aiken sounded so smooth and creamy.  I did not recognize Bo Bice until the first note he sang.  

ETA: Yeah, I missed Crystal.  I hope she's okay.

Edited by Archery
  • Love 4
(edited)

a semi-serious question: what's bigger, Kelly's ass while pregnant...or Lee DeWyze's head? 

ok, that made me laugh. 

I haven't watched this show in years, but yeah. It was nice to see all the oldies, and I was surprised that I recognized so many of them. I yelled "Bucky!" when he came out, and "NO WAY!" when they captioned Bo Bice. And Constantine? Shit, it was like he was in every montage. I thought to myself, who the hell did he blow to get so high-profile on this? He's one of the cheesiest contestants, ever. (although I loved him during his season, much to my eternal embarrassment)

Edited by CynicalGirl
  • Love 4

JLo denied that she insured her butt during her recent Carpool Karaoke appearance.

Diana DeGarmo was born in 1987 and turns 29 this year but she always had a mature look.

• Love 3
Maybe had I seen every episode I would be one of those, "haha your machinations didn't work" people. Instead all I see was a clearly average singer with an above average falsetto beat the better singer.

I think Trent's as good a singer as La'Porsha. The problem is La'Porsha got the coronation edit the entire time, and it made it hard to root for her. Even though she has gone through a lot and gotten through it, and that's commendable, her stint on the show was one tongue bath after another. The judges never really pushed her to be better, so she kept the same bag of tricks that she came into the competition with. Trent worked hard to become a better singer and performer, and it showed.

• Love 12

I haven't been keeping up with this season, but I thought La'Porsha would be the winner. I could see Trent being a R&B/Soul type singer kinda like Robin Thicke.

According to Billboard, both finalists have already signed record deals. Universal/Motown for La'Porsha and Big Machine for Trent.

• Love 4

She was on tour and couldn’t rearrange dates.

David Archuleta was in the opening. He was offered a chance to sing “Imagine” again, but turned it down for some reason.

Oh . Maybe he didn't want to get into the whole  no religion and   heaven and hell thing again . 

• Love 3

So I guess Mariah is tooooo much of a diva to send her comments although Nicki could? Unless I missed it....

Mariah didn't make any comments in the documentary a couple of nights ago either, did she?  Or have I forgotten?  I know she was shown arguing with Nicki, but I can't remember if she commented on anything.

(edited)

Well, not winning the show hasn't really helped anyone since McPhee and Daughtry in S5. With minor exceptions for Colton Dixon in Contemporary Christian music, and Katie Stevens who is one of the leads on MTV's dramedy Faking It.

I still have massive skepticism on if LP will have any kind of success, but being free of BMLG at least gives her a fair shake which she wouldn't of had had she won. 

Edited by PhD-Purgatory15
  • Love 4

Watched the show tonight, first time in years.  Was Jasmine or that Gena/Jena there?  I started about 15 minutes in so I don't know if they were on before.  Also, I had no idea who those guys doing the Bowie tribute were.  Overall, it was entertaining.

Having only seen 1 clip of this season, I had no idea who the favorite was. Seeing LaPorscha, she didn't appear to have any personality.

They should have just given it to Kelly again.

• Love 1

I loved all of it with the exception of Jlos ridiculous segment. I honestly had second hand embarrassment for her. Good god.

Bummer that Adam couldn't come. But loved seeing the ones who did. Wouldn't have been an idol,finale with the original judges. Yay!!

I am still shocked over 1. Bo Bices changed looks 2. Tamyra hideous wig. No girl. 3. I was thinking, man, Caleb can sing. 4. I actually enjoyed Constantine.

Over all I'm a bit choked up.

• Love 10
(edited)

The anti-Trent comments are flooding the Trent thread on the Idol page on Facebook.  There are a lot of angry people.  That's such a shame, as I am pretty sure La'Porsha would not want her fans being so mean to him, nor would he have wanted his fans to be mean to her if she had won.  They seemed to genuinely like and support each other.  Trent talked about how he worked so hard, largely because she pushed him to.  She helped him.

He is a talented, nice, determined young man.  She is a talented, nice, strong young lady.  It just came down to votes and who got more of them -- and that is based on personal preference of the voters. 

Edited by Sherry67
  • Love 10

Did Fantasia have a lisp? There was something off with her pronunciations. I love Jennifer Hudson. When she was on stage with the other 2, she was by far the biggest star. Jessica Sanchez blew it out of the water. . I agree with the above poster. They should have just made Kelly the winner again.

• Love 5

The anti-Trent comments are flooding the Trent thread on the Idol page on Facebook.  There are a lot of angry people.  That's such a shame, as I am pretty sure La'Porsha would not want her fans being so mean to him, nor would he have wanted his fans to be mean to her if she had won.  They seemed to genuinely like and support each other.  Trent talked about how he worked so hard, largely because she pushed him to.  She helped him.

He is a talented, nice, determined young man.  She is a talented, nice, strong young lady.  It just came down to votes and who got more of them -- and that is based on personal preference of the voters. 

You have to wonder who these people are actually mad at??? Why be mad at a contestant for winning because he or she got the mot votes?

• Love 6

For those asking- Crystal is touring in New England- but sick today...

Crystal Bowersox ‏@crystalbowersox  6h6 hours ago
Crystal is under the weather. Tonight's show at @HigherGround in Burlington VT has been rescheduled to October 18.

• Love 1
(edited)

Adam has a prior job commitment. He was shown speaking during the "Ford" segment and was featured prominently on Tuesday's show.

Bwah! The unrecognized  "five guys" for the Bowie tribute were ALL PAST WINNERS: Kris Allen; Phil Phillips; Nick Fradiani; David Cook; and Lee DeWyze.

People griping on Twitter? WTH for, because somehow LaP was robbed? Like they're even going to support her after tonight.

MY question is: Others sang "Bridge Over Troubled Water," not Clay?!

Edited by LennieBriscoe
  • Love 6

I loved every second of cheesy goodness tonight! My pick for best female vocal of the evening was Carly's "Here you come again" I have wished since season 7 that would be released as an official single.

Carrie can sing for sure, but I thought she sounded really sharp - sorry, "pitchy" - on several notes in "Something in the Water". We were questioning if something was wrong with her earpiece. She gets my total respect for being one of the idols who has always been very vocal about how American Idol was the reason for her success.

• Love 9

LOL at that winner.  Exactly the reason why I stopped watching years ago.

Same here! I'm so glad it's not coming back! I got slightly sucked back in midways this season because friends were saying to me how fantastic a singer named LaPorsha was. Sadly, it was the ending that I expected. Good riddance to rigged garbage!

• Love 2

Idol made me tear up several times tonight. Say what you will, but this show has given us some truly brilliant singers over the years, and I enjoyed every minute of the finale tonight with the exception of JLo's performance, which went on for far too long.

I loved that Kelly ended her performance with A Moment Like This. She's been my American Idol since the very first time she belted out "Respect" in the top 24.

As for LaPorsha losing, I can only say that there were at least 8 or more female idols who sang tonight who blow her out of the water: Carly Smithson, JHud, Fantasia, Latoya, Melinda, Kat McPhee, Pia, Jessica, etc. LaPorsha is damn good but I just never thought she was special enough. Trent is also damn good and he's unique, so I get why he won.

Finally, it took me a second to realize that they put all five WGWG winners together for the Bowie tribute, and then I laughed because I think that was the producers' wink to us that they know what we've been bitching about for a long time now. Still, David Cook is the original and still the very best WGWG winner.

• Love 18

Best:  Kelly's medley!

Worst:  Carrie's solo...yikes!

The show really did the finale right by showcasing the past contestants.  Even Pants on the Ground was included.  Thought it was funny that the WGWG segment was an acknowledgement of WGWG.  Lots of good performances. 

While both finalists were deserving, I personally liked Trent a bit more so I'm fine with winner. 

Biggest winner of the night though?  Constantine with all that unexpected time on camera.  How many people was he filling in for? 

Who's taking bets on how long before the show returns? 

• Love 3