Type keyword(s) to search

S05.E09: A Touch Of Style

• Start Topic

Just imagining someone at spring training in Dom's- and laughing! "Hold on- let me snap on the bottom of my dress for dinner."

That was so gimmicky. I like Dom and I liked her dress but ye gods, why couldn't she wear the dress as is to dinner? Are they going to Le Bernardin after the game? You can wear most anything to most restaurants nowadays. After the ball game I imagine one would go to a mid range place where you can get burgers and chicken wings or barbeque or something. Game day doesn't say "fine dining" to me. That whole "from the game to dinner" thing was just weird.

We never really saw Ken get in a cab and leave.  I wonder if someone from the crew was with him.

While watching I was wondering aloud why we didn't see him intercepted by someone from production, trying to talk him down. Trying to ramp up the drama, I guess. Will he or won't he? And I concur with those upthread who suggest that he probably just went back to the hotel to cool off. If he didn't go home, to the public library to hang out on the internet and review pattern books, or call anyone, I don't have a problem with him coming back. I actually like Ken quite a bit this season. He seems to have taken the lessons from his season to heart and I'm finding him much more enjoyable to watch--his clothes have been pretty nice and I find his insights to be spot on, and funny. I hope he makes it to the end, and I dearly hope he makes it past Sam.

OF COURSE Georgina would wear a flirty cocktail dress with a cheerleader length circle skirt to a baseball game.  If Georgina ever attends a baseball game, she's actually AT a cocktail party, up in the skybox, sipping champagne. 

Try introducing your bare bethonged fanny to that plastic in Section 122, Row GG, George. 

And "we all believe in Sam"?  With a straight face?  You and Isaac's loins believe in Sam.  Alyssa, every guest judge, the other designers and all the rest of the us beg to differ.

The darts didn't even match, FFS.

I agree! I laughed like a hyena when Georgina said she'd wear Sam's dress to a baseball game. Of course she would. She's no woman of the people, she ain't going to be rocking that little confection in the bleachers. And what voodoo is Sam doing? Why are the judges so devoted? He is dreadful.

• Love 8

that tee shirt makes me think of a flesh eating virus.

the first thing I thought was "Oh god, get them off, get them off!" It looks like some kind of mutant insect is swarming over the shirt. They should come with a warning: "Do not wear when high or intoxicated."

BUT, for one of these contestants to recognize that he's exhausted and sleep deprived and he's ultimately going to be better off sacrificing two hours of work time for two hours of privacy and rest:  outstanding!  A++, Ken.

I do think that Ken did this and I agree that it was a smart choice. There's a point when continuing will just make things worse. Go home, get some sleep, mull it over a little and return ready to go the next day. But... Do they no longer live together? Because everyone talked like Ken hadn't even been seen since the night before, which begs the question of where he slept.

• Love 4

So I'm assuming that we're in the "Dom is obviously the winner by a mile but we have to make it seem like she's not taking every challenge in a walk" portion of the narrative? 

I loved Emily's! It was so chic; minimalist while still being interesting and elegant; and simply, beautifully cut. The drape in the back, the length and ease of the cut! And it looked like it would be flattering on a range of body types and sizes. It fits with my own understanding of athleisure, which is "feels like a t-shirt and sweats, looks like An Outfit." 

I'm shocked to realize that Ken is my favorite of the remaining contestants. Not always his designs, but his personal growth. I am rooting for him!

After his first season I would NEVER have expected him to be someone I was happy to see on the screen every week! And yet he is so great this season, and his talking heads are consistently making me laugh. His fairytale-villain cackle last year, and now, "That girl could not afford courtside tickets. She sits way, way, way, WAY UP in the seats." Perfect. 

Ha, I totally miss Dmitri's droll comments, especially in the face of Elena's hysterics. I would totally watch a show of them just hanging out or watching PR and commenting on the runway shows.

If Lifetime were smart, they'd jump on the "Talking _____" aftershow bandwagon and lock this down immediately. 

• Love 13

Sam's dress was exactly like every dress I see young women wearing, except that his was made of neoprene with a white mesh overlay with black lace attached.  If you actually wore it to a sporting event, the skirt would flop up because of the rigidity of the neoprene, and you'd be sliding off from sweating onto the plastic.  Plus it was so badly made that the overlay and the under dress didn't match up.

Even if the formerly gorgeous Georgina did wear it, I call bullshit on her wearing it with the pair of sneakers that Sam liberated from the accessory wall and that Isaac found to be the oh so fresh touch that set it all off.

But Layana's pants looked so awful coming down the runway!  I don't know if it was the model or the fit, but it was truly unfortunate.

I can't help wondering what the judges really say about the garments, the hour or so which gets edited out as they simply cut to the chase of winner and losers. I get the feeling that there are some major 'discussions' regarding Sam and his lame ass efforts, defended by Issac and Georgina and raked over the coals by Alyssa and every guest judge. Must be interesting.

And Sam gets the you're safe without even a get your shit together and stop phoning it in and coasting on batting your eyes at Issac. One wonders what's really going on and why.

• Love 5

I'm not so quick to praise Ken for averting a "meltdown," just because I have no patience with that whole scenario where men break their hand bones because they HAVE TO PUNCH THE WALL.  I don't think it's asking too much to expect adults to control themselves before the point of violent physical outbursts.

BUT, for one of these contestants to recognize that he's exhausted and sleep deprived and he's ultimately going to be better off sacrificing two hours of work time for two hours of privacy and rest:  outstanding!  A++, Ken.

I totally agree. I thought that showed real growth, to recognize that you're boiling over and take yourself out of the situation. I don't know what the behind the scenes machinations were, if any, that allowed him to step out and come back, but I'm glad he was able to do that. (I'm sleep-deprived right now because I'm going through a bout of insomnia, and while it tends to make me sluggish and withdrawn, not snappish - I feel like I'm two steps behind, my response times are delayed, etc. - I definitely recognize that I'm less patient than when I'm rested. Ken seems a little more snappish than I am as a general rule, so I can see how he'd go even further left with it if he's tired and cranky.)

"Athleisure" is such a dumb trend. I have a bunch of pairs of cute sneakers that aren't intended for working out (and then sneakers that ARE intended for exercise that I only wear when exercising) and a lot of them are billed as athleisure shoes, but, like ... they're just Vans. Or Chucks. Or Supergas, or whatever. And if you catch me in my workout clothes, it's because I'm either about to work out or just finished working out - some of my workout clothes are cute, but I only wear them for that purpose. I wear jeans or shorts or a simple dress to a game.

Almost every time Alyssa is on screen, I marvel at how bad she's dressed. (She looks decent in the red wrap top and black pants she had on in the preview.) It's a mystery to me. Does she have a stylist? Plain old bad taste? Both? What's really going on?

Georgina does come across as elitist to me; she always has. She was born with a silver spoon in her mouth and she's never not been wealthy, so I think there probably is some elitism there - she strikes me as the sort of person who's wealthy, always has been, and doesn't care to know or acknowledge any other way of life. Willfully out of touch. She WOULD wear a flouncy dress (with heels, not slip-on sneakers) to a baseball game, because she's not going to be climbing bleachers or climbing over seats or worrying about sweating because she's sitting outside for hours. She wouldn't consider sitting outside with the regular folk; she'd be in a sky box.

I'm through with Sam. I've BEEN through with Sam. His shit is ugly. I don't know what he's done to curry so much favor, but it's certainly not "design nice clothes."

I'd have put Emily in the top and made Asha safe.

• Love 8

I was so confused by the mismatch between the prize and the outfits they designed. Alyssa's line is t-shirts and hoodies with feminine cuts and fabrics and licensed logos. None of those outfits would look remotely at home in her product line, yet the prize for the winner is that become part of her line? When they were showing the judging, no one addressed the issue of what is a good fit for Touch. It was more about whether or not someone would wear it to a baseball game, which is a completely different question than whether or not someone would BUY it at a baseball game.

• Love 3

I think this is the Tim Gunn redemption tour. Hopefully these judges have enough self-respect not to try to give the win to Sam or Asha. I'm pretty sure, though, that they're both going to stay around as long as they can to make the point that Tim wasn't absolutely ridiculous trying to let them win his show. Since Tim was, indelibly, absolutely ridiculous trying to let them win his show, they'll be around a while.

Is athleisure actually a thing?

• Love 6
(edited)

The directions and premise for this challenge were not clear at all.  

On Shark Tank Mark Cuban invested in a couple that were making fashionable team t-shirts and tops woman would wear to a game and feel stylish.  Perfect ideal.  You use the team colors and name but make a fabulous top for women to wear with jeans rather than having to resort to buying a mans T or jersey.  The designs they showed were very cool.  That is what I thought they were aiming for, at first. 

So the clothes were supposed to be athletic inspired but not too much.  Casual street wear for a game but not look like you were headed for the gym.  What!?  Isn't that what we all wear on a daily basis?  Who wears a dress or skirt to a ball game?  You don't want any bare skin touching the seat. 

If you go out to eat after a game, provided you are not already full from a hot dog or other stuff, you would head for a burger and beer  joint probably close to the stadium where you would find other fans.  

Where is Nina Garcia when we need her?  She hates clothes that are supposed to go from day to evening.  Just change your clothes, she says.  Dom would have gotten that.  

I didn't like anything. 

Georgina is NOT going to wear a neoprene and mesh dress anywhere!  EVER. Or that teeny bopper style dress! 

I know all reality TV is manipulated but this?  What is up with the Sam love?  What has he done that has gotten Issac and Georgina to fall so in love with him?  I know Issac wants to fuck him but Georgina?  Thank you Alyssa for having some sensibilities. 

Glad to see Zac Posen is there next week. 

Edited by wings707
  • Love 6

OMG, those outfits sure ran the gamut, didn't they?  Happy with Kini winning, but Sam should have gone home before Layana.

Kini:  I'm glad he won.  He actually understood the contest and made some thing cute, flattering, and that people would buy.   Good work.

Asha:  I liked that she thought along the lines of actual sports garments, but that skirt would give anyone other than a model an arse that looks two axe handles wide.  The judges were right, she should have gone with a simpler top.   I'm fine with her moving forward.  A for effort, C+ for the actual outfit.

Dom:  I really liked this, except for the silly head wrap thing.  It was interesting and boy can this young woman work with patterns.   It's not something that would sell as a part of Alyssa's line, it's more upscale than that, but a good job.

Emily:   Meh.  I feel like we've seen that before in a wide variety of incarnations.  Not great.  Not bad.  Sitting squarely in the middle.  I didn't care for the saggy fabric over the butt.

Ken:  I guess you can say that Ken has grown up a bit in that he stomped out rather than attacking one of the other contestants this time.  The black pockets on the front were a mistake.  It would have looked cleaner and more sleek with out them.   I don't think it was QUITE as bad as the judges insisted, but it's not his best effort.

Layana:  I really disliked this outfit.  It looked a lot better with her original white top.  The navy part of the top didn't work well with the color of the leggings.  And speaking of which, leggings are just leggings even if you seam the heck out of them.  I don't think this outfit should have sent her home, I think it was more that she'd put forward several weeks worth of marginal work.

Sam:  I don't get the praise the judges gave this dress.  I think it's horrible.  The contrast in textures isn't interest or pretty in any way.  It's crappily made.  Sam should have gone home for this outfit.   I think he has blackmail material on at least one of the judges.   

• Love 4

Sam is this season's Helen: he's produced the worst garment on the runway several times, and yet the judges and/or producers insist on keeping him around because they think he's entertaining. They are very wrong. Zac Posen, who I would argue is the least talented major designer of our time, is unlikely to set them straight next week. 

Quite liked Emily and Kini's looks, but everyone not named Dom is just competing for second place. 

• Love 6
(edited)

http://m.nflshop.com/Alyssa_Milano

Alyssa's line is exactly what I thought she was asking for, the same thing Mark Cuban invested in on Shark Tank! 

Nowhere in the description of this challenge did she say choose a team, use their colors and name as inspiration for a top a woman would love to wear to a game!!  She tossed in casual street wear, nothing you would wear to a gym and could work going out to eat after the game.  Jesus.  

All of her tops on that link were about sports and sure you could wear them on the street but you could wear them to the gym too and even out to eat at a casual place.  What did she really want?  I still don't know.  

ETA.  And who wants to go out on the town after sitting in the hot sun for several hours with sunscreen on your clothes (that always happens)!   You want something to eat, a beer and a shower and perhaps a movie on the couch in your bathrobe at the end of the day.   Or maybe home for a shower first and then order a pizza on the couch with a movie!   

Edited by wings707
  • Love 4

Dom's voice and inflection annoys the shit out of me.  It's always 5 octaves higher than normal.  I kept analysing her early family life.  I think that her family doesn't let her speak, and she's constantly overcompensating by either speaking really fast (Kenit'scrazyhowfastyoujustdidthat) or constantly praising herself in the high-pitched squeak tones (while waving her arms) "I made three pieces!!!"   

It's strange that Dom is so known for her humility when she is constantly patting herself on the back. I don't think she's ever had anything remotely critical to say about one of her looks. A big ego is certainly not uncommon in the fashion industry, but you probably shouldn't sell yourself on your humility if you're going to sing your own praises all the time. 

• Love 1

The directions and premise for this challenge were not clear at all.  

On Shark Tank Mark Cuban invested in a couple that were making fashionable team t-shirts and tops woman would wear to a game and feel stylish.  Perfect ideal.  You use the team colors and name but make a fabulous top for women to wear with jeans rather than having to resort to buying a mans T or jersey.  The designs they showed were very cool.  That is what I thought they were aiming for, at first. 

Nike already makes this type of fan-gear for women.  

And I can't remember the last time I was in a team store and didn't see cute tee-shirts/tank tops for women.  A few years ago I was in Chicago for work and found at least 5 cute tee shirts in their official Cubs shop....and I didn't even go through everything.  I just don't see how this is some sort of "fresh new trend."  Unless you want to wear that foolish shit that Kristen Cavalleri is selling.  And I can't think of anyone who loves a team that they want to wear some weird maxi dress with the name of the team just printed on it.

Who is really dying for anything other than a simple dress to wear to a game?

Sam is this season's Helen: he's produced the worst garment on the runway several times, and yet the judges and/or producers insist on keeping him around because they think he's entertaining. They are very wrong. Zac Posen, who I would argue is the least talented major designer of our time, is unlikely to set them straight next week. 

Quite liked Emily and Kini's looks, but everyone not named Dom is just competing for second place. 

I could easily see Zac falling for Sam's charm and it turning into another uncomfortable flirting session on TV.  I will prepare myself to be annoyed next week.

I have seen Zac's icky efforts at flirting before with contestants.....its not cute.....it could be funny if Issac and Zac end up fighting for Sam's affections....but in all likelihood it will just be annoying.

• Love 4
(edited)

Ha-ha!!  My sister is a huge knitter, and she told me that his yarn is such crap she wouldn't ever use it, for anything.  

I totally agree with your sister. I was going to post that as a knitter I wouldn't touch his yarn if it was free. With the hours I put into a project, I only use good quality yarns even if I have to pay a bit more. It's like cooking a gourmet meal with inferior ingredients. 

It's so totally obvious that Sam and Asha are there only to redeem that horrible Under The Gunn show. Neither of them are that special. 

As far as I'm concerned, anything that you would wear to a baseball/football/basketball game is not something you should wear to a nice dinner.

HA HA! You haven't been out to dinner around here. People going to pretty nice restaurants looking like they just finished gardening and forgot to change.

Edited by Jolie
  • Love 3

I really couldn't understand Issac and Georgina's love for Sam's look, leaving aside any personal attraction one of them might have for the other. But, of course, I get the impression neither of them ever go to sporting events ... or go the way an average person goes, i.e., not sitting in special suites somewhere. That thing would be the most impractical and uncomfortable piece of froth a woman could possibly wear. Most men would probably be getting an eyeful from behind while other women would be rolling their eyes wondering what the Swiss Miss girl was doing at the game. It's amazing that they set up a challenge in which the outfit *has* to have a certain practicality and then have two judges on the panel who have not a clue about the circumstances. I mean, what if the challenge involved hiking gear and that's what Sam came up with? Would they think it was just fabulous as long as the model was in flats? Ugh.

As for Dom's, it reminded me of something a woman might where to a tennis match ... in the 1920's. Like something out of The Great Gatsby. All that was missing was the cigarette in a holder.

I agree with some of you that Emily's should have been one of the higher scored outfits.

I thought Layana's, Ken's, and Asha's all looked tight and uncomfortable.

Kini's look was both stylish and looked comfortable enough for game day. Of course, you wouldn't want to wear that jacket during the height of the summer, but I can see it as a good choice for early and late season ball games.

• Love 6
(edited)

I wish someone would tell Ken that the word is “frustrated” not “fustrated”

I don't even mind the way he makes up his own language - Gorment, Fustrated, Estettiks.  I. Love.  All. Of. It.  

I'm sorry if someone already pointed this out but it's driving me NUTS! Ken is so "fustrated"! He didn't want to take his "fustration" out on anyone! Grrrrr!!!!!!

You all forgot my favorite - "fabulus!" :D

Edited by amass
  • Love 2

I firmly believe that they make Emily just "safe" almost every week simply because she doesn't bring any drama, so there's no incentive to include her in either the bottom or the top (although starting next week, everyone will be in either the top or bottom so they'll have to include her).  I'm surprised they even brought her back for All-Stars, not because I don't like her or because she's not talented enough, but because even in her original season, she seemed like kind of a non-entity, storyline-wise.  There's no real "angle" with her.  She's not bitchy or flamboyant and doesn't really have a back story they can exploit (I just remember that she has a daughter, but there's nothing dramatic about that situation as far as I can remember).  She just seems to be in the background of most episodes, which is a shame because as many people have said about this episode, her outfit was probably one of the best.  And last week too.  I think they'll probably find a reason to kick her off in the next couple episodes because she's not polarizing or provocative enough to have in the finale.

• Love 2

Nike already makes this type of fan-gear for women.  

And I can't remember the last time I was in a team store and didn't see cute tee-shirts/tank tops for women.  A few years ago I was in Chicago for work and found at least 5 cute tee shirts in their official Cubs shop....and I didn't even go through everything.  I just don't see how this is some sort of "fresh new trend."  Unless you want to wear that foolish shit that Kristen Cavalleri is selling.  And I can't think of anyone who loves a team that they want to wear some weird maxi dress with the name of the team just printed on it.

Who is really dying for anything other than a simple dress to wear to a game?

I could easily see Zac falling for Sam's charm and it turning into another uncomfortable flirting session on TV.  I will prepare myself to be annoyed next week.

I have seen Zac's icky efforts at flirting before with contestants.....its not cute.....it could be funny if Issac and Zac end up fighting for Sam's affections....but in all likelihood it will just be annoying.

The business that Mark Cuban invested in did not make just women's T-shirts.  They had things way beyond.  Mark's wife has been after him for awhile to get someone to make stylish things to wear.  One top they showed was sequined, so much more that what Nike and other companies make.  

The business that Mark Cuban invested in did not make just women's T-shirts.  They had things way beyond.  Mark's wife has been after him for awhile to get someone to make stylish things to wear.  One top they showed was sequined, so much more that what Nike and other companies make.  

sequins seems a little try hard for me.  I like a feminine cut shirt so I look adorable but I don't want to look like I'm trying too hard.  Thats what I've always thought "athleisurewear" was about.  Women who shop at lululemon spend 100's of dollars, but it seems more about stuff that is deceptively casual/cute.

sequins seems a little try hard for me.  I like a feminine cut shirt so I look adorable but I don't want to look like I'm trying too hard.  Thats what I've always thought "athleisurewear" was about.  Women who shop at lululemon spend 100's of dollars, but it seems more about stuff that is deceptively casual/cute.

I don't care for that either.  Just saying what Cuban was after.  

• Love 1

I would just like to mention, for the record, that seeing what Alyssa Milano wears each and every week on this show, that I would never, in a million years, be interested in anything that reflected her taste level. And the styling...eye makeup applied with a trowel, the hair, too long or done up in an old-lady chignon, terrible shoes and a need to wear cinched in waists on a womanly body that make her look trollishly short. 

I may be bored with the designers, but I enjoy hating on Milano. And good on Tim Gunn...he hates Isaac with the power of the burning sun, and i have to agree.

Old Issac has that matronly look himself now, and he hawks his polyester trash nonstop on TV; I catch him yammering on as I flip the channels.

Of course I am going straight to hell.

• Love 3

I don't have much to say about this week, other than that I'm pleased on Ken's behalf that he had the ability to rein in his emotions enough to get himself out of there--presumably to a place that didn't violate any contractual issues for continuing, and I'm betting it's $ that kept them from having a camera follow him/staff to the hotel where he holed up--the powers that be little caring for those of us viewers who analyze such things and wonder what circumstances allowed his continuation to be legit.  I'm glad he's experienced that much emotional growth and I wish him luck on that and on his career.

Other than that, I'll just add that I'm extremely delighted that we've finally been shown the scene of Isaac saying "this girl loves that girl" which has been touted in the previews incessantly so we never have to see it again.  Something about it just annoyed the hell out of me...maybe it was just that it was Isaac!

• Love 5

^^I mostly hate that it was directed at the nonsense that Sam designed.  Stop trying to make Sam happen Issac!

I may be bored with the designers, but I enjoy hating on Milano. And good on Tim Gunn...he hates Isaac with the power of the burning sun, and i have to agree.

I can't give TG a pass since he is the reason I'm stuck with Sam at all. 

But I understand your point.

• Love 5

I would just like to mention, for the record, that seeing what Alyssa Milano wears each and every week on this show, that I would never, in a million years, be interested in anything that reflected her taste level. And the styling...eye makeup applied with a trowel, the hair, too long or done up in an old-lady chignon, terrible shoes and a need to wear cinched in waists on a womanly body that make her look trollishly short. 

Old Issac has that matronly look himself now, and he hawks his polyester trash nonstop on TV; I catch him yammering on as I flip the channels.

Alyssa Milano was on "The View" yesterday, and she has cut her hair super short.  It looked very pretty.  Her makeup was more subdued, and the dress she wore, while not great, was a huge improvement over what she wears on PRAS.  

I will say this - she has a beautiful complexion, and without all that makeup troweled on, she is very, very pretty.

• Love 3

lol, you hate Milano, Tim will hate in Isaac and I'll hate on Georgina. I've hard such a turn around on her as I liked her in general not just on this show.

(edited)

It's strange that Dom is so known for her humility when she is constantly patting herself on the back. I don't think she's ever had anything remotely critical to say about one of her looks. A big ego is certainly not uncommon in the fashion industry, but you probably shouldn't sell yourself on your humility if you're going to sing your own praises all the time. 

Self love and appreciating your own accomplishments are healthy traits we all should have! I say good for you Dom, you are a solid and aware woman.   You can be humble and still proud; they are not mutually exclusive.  She treats everyone with respect and is kind on top of being a skilled designer.   She will go far in this industry with this outlook and positive attitude.  Dom for the win!  

Edited by wings707
  • Love 7
(edited)

I have to come out of lurking for this episode because I've about had it with Isaac.  I've haven't had time to sit and read all the posts in one sitting-I've been here off and on since last night--so I apologize if someone has already mentioned this and I've forgotten about it, but, did I hear him right?  Did he say, a little while after Kristen had said that lots of girls in Chicago would buy Ken's jacket, that Ken was appealing to the "lowest common denominator" then try to cover it quickly with "not that there's anything wrong with that...etc, etc"?  Because if he did, screw you, Isaac.  I've about had it with their disdain for "off the rack" (and Isaac's remark was even worse than that frequently used one).  I know that's not what they are looking for with the designs (and I love high end fashion--my bank account, however, doesn't), but, there are some women who can look damn good with things purchased at Target* and, as someone who is in Target every week buying groceries, I have yet to see anything there that's uglier than that stripped and flowered t-shirt that he's selling on QVC.  But, maybe he's just selling to the lowest common denominator.

I would wear a simple, cotton, sundress to an event as long as it was long enough to not have my skin touch the seats, which get really hot and sweaty, but not Sam's.  I like fit and flare dresses, but his was a little too cutsie.  Also, imo, neoprene, netting and lace are bad enough as a combination that I wouldn't wear his dress anywhere. 

*I met and chatted with Marlee Matlin once and told her that I liked her outfit and thought it was cute.  She thanked me with a smile and said "Target!".  A wealthy, famous actress wearing clothes from Target?  *gasp* Perish the thought!  *eyeroll*

Edited by Shannon L.
  • Love 11

Emily's thing in her season was being the only one there everyone was speaking to after the underdog from inner-city Detroit and the mean hipster leather lady went at it and everyone took sides except St Amanda of the Fifth Maroon, who Deplored but Rose Above because it was getting in the way of her coronation, which in a stunning twist went to the guy who showed Heidi's fringey Emmy dress twelve times at fashion week. The guest judge was Emmy Rossum, in case you were having trouble working it out.

• Love 3

I googled "Alyssa Milano Touch" and saw five thousand images of AM looking pretty in casual sporty mode.  Hello, there's a clue.

Sweetheart, you're short and you're short-waisted, and a tiny bit thick in the middle:  the belt is not your friend.  But you're still lovely in a close-fitting (untucked) top and line-lengthening pants that reach your (high!) heels instead of your knees, calves or ankles.  Body up all that hair to full advantage and stop with the skinned polka-dot knots.  How do you not know this?

Maybe Georgina is loaning Alyssa her stylist and they're in evil cahoots to see how far they can punk the host.

[An ancient garment district worker--Russian, probably the couturier for Nicholas II--once shocked me with her unsolicited advice that my ankles weren't great and I should always wear black hose.  So I did.]

• Love 2

When I saw Sam's dress, all I could think of was the old Carol Burnett skit parady of Gone with the Wind. She sat down in her hoop skirt and it shot up in her face. That is probably what would happen to a women wearing Sam's skirt. Bam, right in the face! Not exactly stadium friendly.

• Love 6

This is another example of Isaac's work - if this is any indication, no wonder he's not crazy about "giving the client exactly what they want" - this is pretty hideous, imo:

http://www.qvc.com/Isaac-Mizrahi-Live!-Engineered-Floral-Stripe-Knit-T-Shirt.product.A273645.html?sc=A273645-Targeted&cm_sp=VIEWPOSITION-_-10-_-A273645&catentryImage=http://images.qvc.com/is/image/a/45/a273645.001?$uslarge$

O. M. G. That thing puts the ugh in ugly.

• Love 2

When I saw Sam's dress, all I could think of was the old Carol Burnett skit parady of Gone with the Wind. She sat down in her hoop skirt and it shot up in her face. That is probably what would happen to a women wearing Sam's skirt. Bam, right in the face! Not exactly stadium friendly.

I just saw it in the window and I had to have it.

• Love 7
(edited)

I just binge watched this season and here's a few observations. What the hell is Sam still doing on the show. Most of what he designs are just plain fugly. I guess he is I-Suck's pet.

Who the hell dresses Alyssa each week? The hairstyle of the week is usually pretty bad, but the clothes? Massively ugly and not appropriate for her shape. As for her Touch line, she has a store in the arena where the Pittsburgh Penguins play, and her tops are all pretty bad, and my friend who manages the shop said her stuff doesn't sell, but they have a contract that they're stuck with. Her basic problem is that her things are cut sooooo small. A t-shirt that's supposed to be a large, doesn't come close to fitting my size 4 sister.

IMHO, Sam should have been kicked to the curb this week. That dress had as much to do with athleisure as a basketball uniform at the Met Fashion Ball. BUT, I have the feeling Chapman saved him because that kind of outfit is exactly what the WAGS from the Premiere Soccer League wear to their games in the UK------kind of tramp meets wife.

Edited by KLovestoShop
  • Love 2

^^I mostly hate that it was directed at the nonsense that Sam designed.  Stop trying to make Sam happen Issac!

I came here to say the same thing about "Athleisure" I was worried if I heard it one more time I would hurl something at my television.

Oh and obviously I know dick about fashion because that shit Sam made, ridiculous and ugly for any challenge!

• Love 5

Delurking for a few comments:

Re:  Alyssa's styling - With so many of the unflattering outfits she's worn this season I've thought:  that would look really cute on her if she were celebrity thin.  So, I'm wondering if her sytlist just hasn't come to terms with (or is resentful of) the fact that Alyssa no longer has her pre-baby body, OR, like most of the contestents, just doesn't know what to do with a rounder, more womanly figure.

Re:  Sam's dress - I've never worn neoprene, but my impression is that is would be very uncomfortable.  Does that fabric breathe at all?  If not, it's not something anyone would really want to wear at an outdoor event in warm weather.  I agree with everyone who has mentioned butt's on pastic chairs.  And Sam can go anytime, his looks have become markedly sub-par now that no one is helping him or giving him advice.

Re:  Kini's jacket - I actually really liked this and thought it's something I might wear (a rare thing with PR).  I got more "fall football" from it than "spring/summer baseball" though.

Re:  Dom - I can't imagine anyone wearing what she made, but it was interestin and I do enjoy her use of pattern.  I think she's going to be tough to beat.  I don't mind her patting herself on the back when she does something she's proud of; she's not doing it to look down on anyone or being arrogant about it.  "yeah I made that, I worked my ass off  and I love it!"  Is much better than   "oh, this thing?  I just threw it together, it's nothing really, do you like it?"

And finally, Re:  Ken - if you had told me in his season that he would come back for all stars and be one of my favorites, I would have thought you were crazy.  I'm so impressed by his turn around and the lack of anger issues really helps us see his humor more.  He's had nice things to say about folks, and when he felt himself losing it he knew his limits and removed himself from the enviroment.  I'm glad he wasn't kicked off for leaving (probably he did have someone from the show monitoring him).  That kind of self-awareness is not easy, or pleasant, to come by. 

• Love 10

My issue with these celebrity "designed" lines like Alyssa's sports team t-shirts is that they try to make it seem like it's this revolutionary idea to make cute flattering team wear for women when it's not new at all. When I was in college many years ago, the campus bookstore had tons of shirts specifically designed for girls (scoopneck, v-neck, fitted/babydoll t-shirts, tank tops, fun colors, feminine additions to the logo/mascot like swirls or flowers). If you went off campus you could find similar but unofficial/unlicensed clothing at stores nearby. So while I'm all for having choices so I don't have to wear a boxy jersey or shapeless shirt meant for a man, it seems so ridiculous that Alyssa is selling this as "I had this genius idea to sell branded sports shirts for women."

I also disliked that what we saw of her line was just t-shirts but the designers were asked to create something you could wear to a nice dinner because that is NOT what we saw of the Touch line.

• Love 8
(edited)

My issue with these celebrity "designed" lines like Alyssa's sports team t-shirts is that they try to make it seem like it's this revolutionary idea to make cute flattering team wear for women when it's not new at all. When I was in college many years ago, the campus bookstore had tons of shirts specifically designed for girls (scoopneck, v-neck, fitted/babydoll t-shirts, tank tops, fun colors, feminine additions to the logo/mascot like swirls or flowers). If you went off campus you could find similar but unofficial/unlicensed clothing at stores nearby. So while I'm all for having choices so I don't have to wear a boxy jersey or shapeless shirt meant for a man, it seems so ridiculous that Alyssa is selling this as "I had this genius idea to sell branded sports shirts for women."

I also disliked that what we saw of her line was just t-shirts but the designers were asked to create something you could wear to a nice dinner because that is NOT what we saw of the Touch line.

This is exactly what wings707 and I were talking about.

Nike has been doing feminine "athleisurewear" for a while now....and they have their feminine fan wear for any college/major league team you can think of.  And when I went to the Chicago Cubs store, there were tons of stuff for women...none of which was from the "Touch" collection.

But I also think that where people like K. Cavalleri are going with "athleisurewear" is just dumb.  I don't know how else to say it, because dumb is the word that automatically comes to mind when I see a long tank dress with the word "Steelers" all over it.  I'm not wearing that to a game, and I'm not wearing that to dinner, I'm not wearing that nonsense anywhere.  I mean come on, how is this not just a standard dress you find at Target with the word "Steelers" just written all over it?

1c1cd4ffe933ebdb7806a02ec7431298.jpg

and this is just a dress with a logo all over it.....I would not wear this to a game, and I wouldn't wear it to dinner.  Am I also going to rock a plastic necklace with it?

Junk+Food+Vintage+NFL+Curated+Kristin+Ca

Edited by RCharter
  • Love 6