Type keyword(s) to search

S05.E09: A Touch Of Style

• Start Topic

(edited)

I just wasn't impressed. The challenge didn't interest me, that word they kept saying makes me wince...

I liked Asha's concept in theory, but the buttons did look a little chintzy.

I'm really tired of Kini. I'm really tired of Sam. I'm tired of denim, smugness, bitchiness, neoprene, circle skirts, and mesh. I can see why Kini's concept worked for this challenge, but they both lost me with that mesh. I had "Little Mermaid scooped in a net" flashbacks. Too soon. 

I was very tired of Layana, too. I wanted Alexander back, I feel like he's grown, and would've loved to see his "musty", "costumey" take on this challenge.

I liked Ken's idea with the piping, and can see a market for it. Was glad he chose to cool off, that was actually pretty great. I've really been enjoying him this season.

I also enjoy Dom, and very often, her designs work for my aesthetic (not my personal clothing style, but I often find them appealing) - this design made me smile, but wasn't my favorite of hers. 

I liked Emily's, I think, but I didn't pay great attention to it. I liked that it was more subtle, and worked with updating a classic. 

My ideal final 3 would be Dom, Ken, and... Emily, although if Asha keeps up the design level (and chooses better materials), I won't hate it if she makes it that far. I fear that we're all stuck with you-know-who, though. 

I would love a Dmitri/Elena running commentary - brilliant! 

Edited by Grandma Saracen
  • Love 4

You all forgot my favorite - "fabulus!" :D

My favorite Ken-word is "rinway"! My friend and I have been referring to this show as "Rinway" ever since Ken's first season.

• Love 3
(edited)

Yes, I mentioned that in my original post -- Gorment, Fustrated, and Estettiks.  

Now we have Fabulus and Rinway.

In my love letter to Ken I forgot to mention that I loved the sequence of Ken saying "That's a basic bitch dress" and "And then he'll throw on a pair of flats to kiss ass because Isaac loves flats."

I love that the editors included that!  It's so transparent.

Also, I didn't like Asha's outfit, but that's a taste thing.  I assume it was made well enough.  I would never wear either of those pieces, even if I had the body for it.  

Edited by Ms Blue Jay
  • Love 10

That was so gimmicky. I like Dom and I liked her dress but ye gods, why couldn't she wear the dress as is to dinner? Are they going to Le Bernardin after the game? You can wear most anything to most restaurants nowadays. After the ball game I imagine one would go to a mid range place where you can get burgers and chicken wings or barbeque or something. Game day doesn't say "fine dining" to me. That whole "from the game to dinner" thing was just weird.

While watching I was wondering aloud why we didn't see him intercepted by someone from production, trying to talk him down. Trying to ramp up the drama, I guess. Will he or won't he? And I concur with those upthread who suggest that he probably just went back to the hotel to cool off. If he didn't go home, to the public library to hang out on the internet and review pattern books, or call anyone, I don't have a problem with him coming back. I actually like Ken quite a bit this season. He seems to have taken the lessons from his season to heart and I'm finding him much more enjoyable to watch--his clothes have been pretty nice and I find his insights to be spot on, and funny. I hope he makes it to the end, and I dearly hope he makes it past Sam.

I agree! I laughed like a hyena when Georgina said she'd wear Sam's dress to a baseball game. Of course she would. She's no woman of the people, she ain't going to be rocking that little confection in the bleachers. And what voodoo is Sam doing? Why are the judges so devoted? He is dreadful.

I still think he's Georgina and Isaac's secret love child - can't account for their obvious preference any other way. 

• Love 3

RCharter, OMG, I've never seen those totally awful dresses, and I go to a lot of sporting events in Pittsburgh.  Believe me, I know a lot of sports crazy women who would wear those ugly things and think they're the cat's ass in them if they actually sold them at Heinz Field.  I have no idea where they sell the Steeler one because I've never seen them at any Steeler store or sports clothing stores.  

• Love 1

Delurking for a few comments:

Re:  Sam's dress - I've never worn neoprene, but my impression is that is would be very uncomfortable.  Does that fabric breathe at all?

I've worn neoprene many times in wetsuits, gloves, and booties. No, it doesn't breathe. That's the point. It's an insulating layer, you pick how insulating an item is when you choose the thickness of the neoprene. It's essentially like plastic sponge with very fine bubbles/holes in it. If you wear a neoprene item that's a bit too thick, you'll sweat your arse off and that sweat will stay right there against your skin, or roll down to your lowest point.

• Love 2
(edited)

RCharter, OMG, I've never seen those totally awful dresses, and I go to a lot of sporting events in Pittsburgh.  Believe me, I know a lot of sports crazy women who would wear those ugly things and think they're the cat's ass in them if they actually sold them at Heinz Field.  I have no idea where they sell the Steeler one because I've never seen them at any Steeler store or sports clothing stores.  

I spent time in Pittsburgh, and no tea no shade, I have a hard time imagining any of the women of Pittsburgh having the airs to wear a dress to a game period.  Sports crazy....absolutely......dress wearing?  not so much.  Mocking a woman wearing a dress to a game.....absolutely.  Mocking a woman wearing a dress from the runway with the word "Steelers" written all over it, the same type you could buy at target and just write all over.......yes.  And the mocking would be much deserved, IMO, so I wouldn't even fault them for it.

Edited by RCharter
  • Love 1

Try telling Georgina that. She'll just give you the same passive aggressive bitchy vibe she did in the episode. Like someone said before I highly doubt she's ever been to a baseball, basketball or football game in the states. Everyone else is wrong and she's right. Don't you realise how horrifying and filthy it is to wear anything other than a Marchesa dress or a even a dress without feathers, lace and beading. She will do the mocking of everyone else and think she's the best in her beloved Sams "athleisure dress"

I'd love to know if there's any pictures of Georgina in jeans or a simple top. Or heaven forbid without make up. I swear these supermodels and movie stars who are stunning, don't act as obnoxious and superior as she does.

• Love 2

Athleisure is not a word. And I know whereof I speak. My sisters and I have been making up words since the early 1960s and my kids took up the gauntlet in the late 1980s. You can't just slap parts of words together and call it a new word. There has to be melody, onomotopoeia, deeper meaning, inside joke and/or fun mouth feel. 'Athleisure' has none. It is clunky, unappealing and difficult to say out loud. In print it just looks like a typo. That this fashion niche is called something so appalling is reason enough to avoid it. Even if I (accidentally) bought something from a line that calls itself that thing, I would refer to my purchase as 'comfy clothes'. I will never say this word out loud unless it is in a mocking tone designed to startle the pets. WRT this ep and the clothes and the shameless tie in, eh. That said, the Touch interpretation of Kini's winning jacket is pretty successful.

• Love 8

I will buy a substitute neoprene camera strap for my DSLRs, because the regular straps are rougher and would cut into my neck more.  They're nice and stretchy and strong for a camera strap...and, as noted above, they soak up sweat like nobody's business.  It gets kind of gross when you're out and about taking pictures in the summer.  I cannot even imagine what clothing made of neoprene would feel like!

Neoprene is what wetsuits are made of, so that should give you a good idea of their insulating properties. People wear these things so they can surf in cold ass water. It doesn't breathe at all so, as mentioned above, you will sweat like crazy if it isn't cold. Definitely not something you want to wear sitting in the sun at a baseball game or inside a hot arena for a basketball game.

If you want to see more of the insane team logo outfits that normal people would never wear, you really need to check the link I posted a page back for Kristin Cavallari's "line" (which is what RCharter's photos show a small portion of). Seriously fug and tacky.

• Love 3

The saga of Sam continues. I just noticed that the paint on the workroom wall is blue with a white mesh-looking treatment. That helped explain a lot.

That's about all I got from watching. It was a very tedious episode, imho, and the Ken drama fizzled. He hasn't been enough of a character for me to care one way or another.

• Love 1

Neoprene is what wetsuits are made of, so that should give you a good idea of their insulating properties. People wear these things so they can surf in cold ass water. It doesn't breathe at all so, as mentioned above, you will sweat like crazy if it isn't cold. Definitely not something you want to wear sitting in the sun at a baseball game or inside a hot arena for a basketball game.

If you want to see more of the insane team logo outfits that normal people would never wear, you really need to check the link I posted a page back for Kristin Cavallari's "line" (which is what RCharter's photos show a small portion of). Seriously fug and tacky.

Okay, I swore that was what neoprene was, but I honestly couldn't imagine anyone wanting to wear a dress made of that material.  It seems absolutely awful and stuffy to wear for clothing.

That entire line is everything fug and tacky.  I sincerely don't understand what would make a human being want to wear any of that nonsense.  I feel like they had the Bauble Bar accessories and Chinese Laundry shoe wall for that "fashion show"

Edited by RCharter

I thought the price was that the winner's garment would be manufactured and sold by Touch. Did they only make the jacket? What about the jeans and shirt?

Those were manufactured and sold by KMart......just kidding!

• Love 2

Neoprene is what wetsuits are made of, so that should give you a good idea of their insulating properties

I also find it interesting that Mood has a butt load of neoprene in stock. Correct me if I'm wrong (please--I may well be off on this) but I thought that Mood bought bolt ends, unsold stuff and things like that  or at least carries a lot of that kind of thing--which explains why the bolts and rolls you see are usually smallish. It would also explain why they have so much of a stupid garment fabrication like neoprene.

Mind you, I'm not knocking Mood...a lot of fabric shops in the garment district sell unsold goods and a lot of the stuff is sensational.

And yeah, a dress made out of that would completely suck in terms of comfort, would have no drape and would feel like--yes, you got it--you were wearing a damn wetsuit.

• Love 1

I think neoprene can be used well, for cold weather sportswear, say, or maybe a sweaterdress-like bandage dress. I think, though, designers here are using it like an unconventional material, because it adds shape they migh not otherwise know how to construct.

What I thought was interesting about Sam's dress is that it combined

Dom's trick of appliqueing lace figures, because he won with it so why not pretend it's something he does all the time

+ his own mesh from the fairytale challenge because how else is Isaac going to know it's him and not score the garment

+ the shape of Ashley's unconventional materials dress (which he described at the time as a "basic" shape from someone who didn't know construction)

Obviously I dislike the kid, so salt as required, but I really feel as if it's more and more obvious that Sam is someone who can't sew or design competing to put his fabulous brand on junior designer-produced ripoffs of other peoples' work. Which is to say, he wants to be who Isaac is now without the pesky interval of being brilliant and accomplished first.

Which I guess you don't need to work at QVC, so it's all good. But who knew it was even possible for there to be a poor man's Anthony Ryan?

I'm really hoping Zak (say what you will, the man knows his construction) is going to crush him like a bug.

• Love 10

I think neoprene can be used well, for cold weather sportswear, say, or maybe a sweaterdress-like bandage dress. I think, though, designers here are using it like an unconventional material, because it adds shape they migh not otherwise know how to construct.

What I thought was interesting about Sam's dress is that it combined

Dom's trick of appliqueing lace figures, because he won with it so why not pretend it's something he does all the time

+ his own mesh from the fairytale challenge because how else is Isaac going to know it's him and not score the garment

+ the shape of Ashley's unconventional materials dress (which he described at the time as a "basic" shape from someone who didn't know construction)

Obviously I dislike the kid, so salt as required, but I really feel as if it's more and more obvious that Sam is someone who can't sew or design competing to put his fabulous brand on junior designer-produced ripoffs of other peoples' work. Which is to say, he wants to be who Isaac is now without the pesky interval of being brilliant and accomplished first.

Which I guess you don't need to work at QVC, so it's all good. But who knew it was even possible for there to be a poor man's Anthony Ryan?

I'm really hoping Zak (say what you will, the man knows his construction) is going to crush him like a bug.

Me, too.  Once again there were unfinished edges of the mesh left, which I would think would jab into the skin and be very uncomfortable, not to mention that it's outright tacky-looking.  Sam can spin that all he likes, to me it just says he didn't have time or the know-how to finish it properly.  I do hope Zac nails him for his awful construction.  

I so hope they don't let Isaac overrule everyone else's better judgment and crown Anthony Ryan II.  Isaac's judging is capricious to the point of being incomprehensible, and the only conclusion I can draw is that he picks someone he like for whatever reason and sticks with that designer no matter what dreck they churn out.  And then just bulldozes everyone else into agreeing with him. 

• Love 4

I have never made a circle skirt, so imagine my surprise when I saw Sam lay it out and cuts a circle and then cuts the circle in half. Unbelievable. Nobody should get credit for design when making a circle skirt. There is no 'there' there. During Project Runway Juniors the competitors were told to stop making pencil skirts and crop tops-and yet those were far more complicated and designed that what Sam has been doing-especially the circle skirt. He was all 'this is what I do and am known for' when Alyssa announced the challenge and yet he did nothing. I agree with the poster above who wrote that Sam keeps repeating his fabrics and embellishments because he has been praised for them and so Isaac (and Georgina) would know his work and then praise it.

• Love 2

As a female baseball fan, I own some Touch clothing.  Back when Alyssa started the line, there was little good women's stuff in the market, esp if you didn't live in the city where the team is.  I really like it!  I would LOVE to get Kini's jacket, but $99 is a little steep for the shipmate pockets.  Also, they didn't make my #1 team since they stink this year (they did make my #2 team, though...).  Since I know the line, I was excited for this challenge.  I agree with all of you who said if anyone wore that dress to a game they'd be laughed out of the stadium.  And I though Ken understood the challenge since that is a great piece for the summer outdoor games!

(Disclaimer: I also own a couple Isaac sweaters from QVC and I love them!  He does sweaters really well! But I am old - ha!)

• Love 5

I could live without knowing that Alyssa wrote a little poem that appears on the hang tags for her garments.

"To rally for each other

To play fair

To run with abandon

To dance with life

Is to Touch"

I still don't know what "Touch" has to do licensed fan wear. Is it because these are contact sports? Because the cotton is soft and touchable? What?

Oh good lord. Why not sew in a square of Dove chocolate and a fresh scent tampon and a pee tube? 

Excuse me while I miss the big play while I'm "touching" up my makeup and hair? Don't "touch" your hotdog to my super cute see through tee? I have to go out for escargot foam and champagne after, you know.

I always feel like I'm doing the woman thing all wrong when I watch this show. I wear oversized men's shirts and shabby shorts or pants because I know d*mn well I'm either going to spill on myself or somebody else will and, as it is, it pains me to wear a nice sports logo t-shirt for the fear of ending up with beer or ketchup all over it.

I am such a failure for not pretending to be three years old and sport a cupcake dress made of mesh. 

AM's eye make up at the runway hurt to look at. A raccoon kept calling for its markings back. How were her eyes not watering and red and just...ouch...

That was seriously weak shade during the great Sam/Kini throwdown in the break room. They were so not into that. I think Yanni and Kenny G. would have been harsher.

Sam has all the appeal of a wet sewer rat. I want to know who is responsible for continually dragging his arse back from the toilet so they can pretend he's one of the pretty, smart white rats that can be trained to do useful things. Flush him already, show. 

Edited by potatoradio
  • Love 9

Before I forget: knitter update! JoAnn's or Michael's or Hancock Fabrics (going out of business, crafty people! Get the discounts while they're hot) had Isaac Mizrahi yarn on sale for $3.49 a skein this week (though I forget which it was, since I saw it online). Given my disdain for his 'tude about "sale racks" last episode, I laughed and laughed.

Keep in mind, an equivalent quantity of even the cheapest wool (Knitpicks, let's say) would be $6.00 easily. He is selling the Big Macs of the knitting world, and sneering at Five Guys and Smashburger-level quality.

Thank you, fellow knitter!

It drives me insane when Isaac blasts the designers for being "cheap" when I wouldn't pick up a skein of his yarn if you paid me.  I'll take the Knit Picks superwash wool over his acrylic crap any day! Get over yourself, "Mrs. Mizrahi"!

• Love 1

I haven't been to a mall in a couple of years, but after flinging my phone across that room by accident, I need a new Zagg glass put on. Lo and behold, right across from the Kiosk was an "athleisurewear" store. I had never even heard of the word before last week. :D It was even called something like "athleisure" but I already forgot if that was the name or just a play on it. I sometimes do run errands wearing my yoga clothes after class, but have always felt uncomfortable--like I forgot to get dressed. Who knew I was stylin'. HA

• Love 2

One moment I forgot about until now - the expression on Alyssa's face when Georgina said something like, "Well, we all believe in Sam....." Pretty sure that "we" meant Georgina and Isaac because based on Alyssa's look of disdain, she was thinking, the hell we do.  I foresee a knock-down, drag-out battle royale coming up over Sam. 

• Love 2

I've had the feeling Alyssa was underwhelmed by Sam for the past few episodes. I don't know how much weight her vote carries, though.  This upcoming episode, with Zac, might be interesting.  As people have said previously, Zac is all about construction and Sam is all about not constructing if he can help it.  This would be a very good time for the other designers not to volunteer to help Sam.

Yes, Alyssa has been making it pretty clear that she's over Sam's precious little act for several weeks.  Why the other two are so blinded to his lack of ideas and ability to execute just baffles me.  

• Love 3

Alyssa seems to have jumped of the Sam bandwagon after she said his outfit in the team challenge was the best thing she had ever seen come down a runway. I believe she either knew at the time, or found out later, that Kini had designed/sewed the top and saved the pants when Sam couldn't get the plaid to line up. This might have been what turned her against Sam.

• Love 1

I haven't been to a mall in a couple of years, but after flinging my phone across that room by accident, I need a new Zagg glass put on. Lo and behold, right across from the Kiosk was an "athleisurewear" store. I had never even heard of the word before last week. :D It was even called something like "athleisure" but I already forgot if that was the name or just a play on it. I sometimes do run errands wearing my yoga clothes after class, but have always felt uncomfortable--like I forgot to get dressed. Who knew I was stylin'. HA

Athleta?  I just saw one when I was in Pasadena today.  No one loves "athleisurewear" like the women of Pasadena......the "Athleta" was two doors down from the Lululemon....just in case you realize you didn't get all the athleisurewear you need, you can just pop into the other store for some more.  

• Love 1

Are folks assuming that Georgina and Isaac are on the Sam train because of Sam? I've been sort of assuming they were told to keep him as long as possible, and this is them doing that. Just, like with Anthony Ryan, Isaac is doubling down because it freaks him out that a dwindling number of people are willing to take his word on matters of taste. Which is kind of funny, in a sick, sad way, because if Tim didn't need to be dipped for the same ticks, Sam wouldn't be here to begin with.

Edited by Julia
  • Love 2

Are folks assuming that Georgina and Isaac are on the Sam train brcause of Sam? I've been sort of assuming they were told to keep him as long as possible, and this is them doing that. Just, like with Anthony Ryan, Isaac is doubling down because it freaks him out that a dwindling number of people are willling to take his word on matters of taste. Which is kind of funny, in a sick, sad way, because if Tim didn't need to be dipped for the same ticks, Sam wouldn't be here to begin with.

Issac nearly creaming himself over some basic ass flats from the Chinese Laundry wall has me wondering what in the world is up with him period.  I'm certainly open to an explanation of producer intervention, or other strange reasoning, because praising a shoe more than the outfit on the runway reeks of someone saying "make sure to mention the shoes...Chinese Laundry is pissed that no one cares about this show anymore!"

Ugh....Under the Gunn....I just can't.  Asha will always be in my shit book after that show, I don't care how many ugly peplums or cheap looking jersey skirts she makes (and seriously, was this "shirt skirt" not EXACTLY the same thing she did for Zendaya with a flannel shirt?)

• Love 5

It was, actually.

I couldn't say about Isaac. My assumption about him is that he's perfectly happy having a hot husband and a nice place in Manhattan and a few reliable-if-inelegant revenue streams based on once having been Isaac Mizrahi, and seriously, good on him. He's just really bad at pretending he's judging on the merits, and I don't guess a lot of people in his life disagree with him to his face.

• Love 4

It's athlesiure? I kept hearing alt leisure which made about 1% more sense then atleisure. What the hell IS that? Aren't most leisure clothes comfy? Isn't athletic wear fairly comfy? I've never seen really uncomfortable clothes for exercise. So alt leisure or whatever there saying is redundant as hell.

Someone please get rid of Sam and end my misery. And please take Issac with you. Please and Thank You.

Sams dress (minus the lace) looked liked a baseball uniform for women from the 30's. 

• Love 3

Issac actually does have some serious designing chops and has (IMO) earned a good part of his rep. There's a current pretty  major exhibit of his  work at the Jewish Museum of NYC...

http://thejewishmuseum.org/exhibitions/isaac-mizrahi-an-unruly-history

Sorry, that's the only way I know how to do links. Maybe he's gotten lazy, maybe he's going for the quick, easy bucks, maybe he needs the money, whatever...the man knows design, had and has a successful business in a cut-throat industry. Why are he and Georgina kissing Sam's ass? You got me, but he has talent, whatever he  chooses to do with it.

He does have talent, enough that he's thrown away a great many more chances than most people ever get. I've pointed people at the movie from here before. Currently, he does this for a living.

• Love 1

I'll put on my petty hat to make this comment.

I cannot understand how Alyssa Milano has not been trained to walk or stand properly after having been hired to host this show and repeatedly be photographed up on a runway and behind a backlit screen, both of which highlight her ridiculously wide-legged stance as if she's been out riding the range for weeks at a time.  Even out on the baseball field for challenge introduction it stuck out like a sore thumb.

• Love 3

The only design I really liked was Kini's. His jacket was great and I would probably wear it to a game. I thought he met the challenge the best and I'm glad he finally won. Ken had his troubles with his design, but I didn't think it was as bad as Isaac and Georgina were making it out to be. I actually thought it was kind of cute.

I'm not sure what the other designers were thinking when they were designing their outfits, but it is clear that most of them had no idea what people really wear to a sports event. I want to be comfortable while watching a game and I don't think I would be able to accomplish that wearing a little cocktail dress like Sam's or a long dress like Dom's even with that detachable piece. They missed the mark completely especially Sam who just didn't seem to give a damn about whether or not it fit into Alyssa's athleisure line even though he claimed that he loves making athleisure clothes. He seems to know that the majority of the judges love him no matter what he does so he's just banking on that to coast through the competition. I actually didn't mind Sam in Under the Gunn as awful as that show was, but seeing him again on All-Stars has made me realize that he's not likeable nor that good of a designer.

Layana's elimination didn't surprise me since she had already been in the bottom many times before. I didn't think her outfit was that bad, but it wasn't impressive either.

• Love 1

I've developed this irrational hatred for Georgina this season. I don't even know why, I usually like her. Although anyone married to Harvey Weinstein cannot be a good person.

She's coming across as so pompous, high handed and elitist. The whole wearing a cocktail dress to a baseball game and saying why shouldn't you. Is she really so judgemental? She's always given that vibe. Unless you are wearing one of her dresses or dresses she likes you deserve to be on the worst dressed. It doesn't matter what kind of person you are as long you are wearing something Georgina approves of.

I'm no fashion plate whatsoever and I don't care. But if I swear if I met Georgina she would give me the dirtiest look and flat out ignore me because guess what, I would just be wearing some jeans and t shirt. As I would at a game. Now how does she go about her day when she sees people not caked in make up and jewels and gowns everyday of her life but wearing simple clothes. Does she go have a shower to clean herself of the filth she just witnessed. She has a problem with how people dress at baseball games now and of course she thinks wearing cocktails dresses would be the way to go.

I want someone to wipe the smug look of her face, it was extra in this episode. It probably burned her so much that it was a challenge that nothing to do with embellished over the tops gowns. I don't know why Kristen Cavallari was there but she did say she lived in Chicago and people would wear Kens outfit to a Bulls game. Did u see Georgina face at that moment? Kristen knew better.

Georgina has a daughter right and stepdaughters? I'd love it if one of them is rebelling against her and not wearing Marchesa. And going against everything she stands for.

You know, just in case you happen to be sitting next to someone who usually sits in premium seats, you'd want to fit in.

If she has ever been to a baseball game or other sporting even I doubt it was in premium seats. She would attend in a private box. It's a whole different experience. It is like a cocktail party. It has nothing to do with the ordinary premium seats. The host has food and drinks for their guests. Probably cocktails and cocktail food. I went to a game in a private box and it was lovely. I didn't even have to pay attention to the game at all. Quite comfortable. Didn't wear a cocktail dress though.

• Love 1

It's athlesiure? I kept hearing alt leisure which made about 1% more sense then atleisure. What the hell IS that? Aren't most leisure clothes comfy? Isn't athletic wear fairly comfy? I've never seen really uncomfortable clothes for exercise. So alt leisure or whatever there saying is redundant as hell.

Someone please get rid of Sam and end my misery. And please take Issac with you. Please and Thank You.

Sams dress (minus the lace) looked liked a baseball uniform for women from the 30's. 

It's definitely athleisure. I just re-watched while waiting for the new one to come on, and they were mostly emphasizing the "th" (I even watched their tongues making the "th" sound... yes I am procrastinating on doing chores right now). 

I had forgotten how one of them in the beginning described "athleisure" as leather jogging pants with heels. What??? Who wants to jog in leather pants and heels? Same people who want to wear neoprene all day I guess. In other words probably no one.

• Love 2

It's definitely athleisure. I just re-watched while waiting for the new one to come on, and they were mostly emphasizing the "th" (I even watched their tongues making the "th" sound... yes I am procrastinating on doing chores right now). 

I had forgotten how one of them in the beginning described "athleisure" as leather jogging pants with heels. What??? Who wants to jog in leather pants and heels? Same people who want to wear neoprene all day I guess. In other words probably no one.

According to Kanye West, he invented leather jogging pants, so you'd have to ask him whats up with that!

• Love 1

Delurking for a few comments:

Re: Sam's dress - I've never worn neoprene, but my impression is that is would be very uncomfortable. Does that fabric breathe at all? If not, it's not something anyone would really want to wear at an outdoor event in warm weather. I agree with everyone who has mentioned butt's on pastic chairs. And Sam can go anytime, his looks have become markedly sub-par now that no one is helping him or giving him advice.

I've worn neoprene many times in wetsuits, gloves, and booties. No, it doesn't breathe. That's the point. It's an insulating layer, you pick how insulating an item is when you choose the thickness of the neoprene. It's essentially like plastic sponge with very fine bubbles/holes in it. If you wear a neoprene item that's a bit too thick, you'll sweat your arse off and that sweat will stay right there against your skin, or roll down to your lowest point.

Here's the interesting thing - - I thought the same thing, then I saw a neoprene summer dress that I fell in love with. I bought it and wore it in the Caribbean, and though I was nervous about it, turns out it was comfy, I didn't sweat, it didn't stick to me, and it kept its lovely shape.

I've since bought several more and just love them. I live in GA, so heat and humidity are no strangers. Now, I don't know if it's the way the neoprene is worked over, the way it's shaped, or what, but it just works. My neoprene dresses are all fit and flare, no body-con... Maybe that makes a difference.

Also, I love Dom! I think she's talented, confident, kind, and beautiful; I'm rooting for her. I didn't see her season, so this is my first exposure to her, and for the most part, her work has impressed me. I can see her growing and getting better and better. I think she'll go far.

I've hated everything Sam has done, maybe with one exception that I can't even think of right now.

I like Emily as a person. Though her designs don't always appeal to me, I see her talent and wish her success.

Ken is a trip, and I think he's very talented, too.

Edited by Scorpiosunshine
  • Love 2