Type keyword(s) to search

S04.E18: Eleven-Fifty-Nine

• Start Topic

(edited)

The more that I think about it then more I realize that having Laurel's big deathbed scene with Oliver instead of her dad was yet another case of putting plot before characterization. They had to have Oliver be her sounding board so that they could set up the mysterious "I need to tell you something" thing which I assume is going to carry over into S5. The only way they felt they could make the scene pack an emotional punch was to center it around their (O/L) relationship since that's been such a major source of drama (for good and bad) for nearly 4 years.   The whole thing was clunky as hell.  They had to reinforce the Felicity thing because it's not like they could have had Laurel declare Oliver the love of her life and then either have Oliver A) respond in kind and diminish whatever set up they're doing with O/F or B) have Oliver reaffirm his love for Felicity to Laurel and look like an insensitive jerk.  They took option C) have Laurel be the one to bring up Felicity and therefore make it seem super-tragic that she's now going to die in unrequited love.  Sure they could have had them talk about something else, but what?  The best option here would have been for the emotional scene to be between Laurel and Quentin and maybe have Oliver find out Laurel's big secret through a video or letter she left just in case something were to happen to her.  The way they set it up was horrible.

Edited by NumberCruncher
  • Love 10
(edited)

I would have been fine with the first part - that she was happy he found Felicity...about 10 episodes ago. Not on her deathbed. And carrying around the picture THAT HE GAVE BACK and saying he was the love her life, especially when she thought she was gonna be fine was just awful and awkward and like...what? I will never understand that.

Keto, you fucked up, girl.

I dunno, on one hand I do get the resentment but then...I think it kind of does suit Laurel IMO.

I thought for years she was just trying to take her sister's life and get with Oliver...so if she says Oliver is the love of her life on her deathbed....she's got the last word in a way about Oliver and Laurel.

Have you been carrying it around in your wallet? After all these years?

She only kept one of the kitties......

Edited by catrox14
  • Love 3

She's been on a number of things on Canadian TV, including a cop series called Tom Stone.

I have the feeling she'll be gone by the end of the season but I have a secret wish they would bring her aunt Margot on for a cameo. If we can't have Superman, it would be fun to have Lois Lane.

So the reptilian smile thing, is it Ruve specific or just how the actress smiles? Because if it's option A, fine, that's an acting choice. If it's option B, then I feel mean for writing it down.

I would have been fine with the first part - that she was happy he found Felicity...about 10 episodes ago. Not on her deathbed. And carrying around the picture THAT HE GAVE BACK and saying he was the love her life, especially when she thought she was gonna be fine was just awful and awkward and like...what? I will never understand that.

Keto, you fucked up, girl.

It made Laurel into some sort of martyr like figure which does no one any favors. Also, stupid. 

• Love 1

Guys, guys, guys! MuuMuu told us to be good! I agree that this is getting off track, with talking too much about actors/fans, which is a no-no, right? So let's show our lovely mod(s) how civil and how awesome we can be, especially after an episode like this! Maybe take the appropriate discussions elsewhere? And fan talk isn't allowed, right? Well, I just want to help our mod out while she's away! So here's a cute picture of us all being friends! 

tumblr_me3s4oB0bg1r2ivr2o1_500.jpg

Testify! 

• Love 3

I dunno, on one hand I do get the resentment but then...I think it kind of does suit Laurel IMO.

I thought for years she was just trying to take her sister's life and get with Oliver...so if she says Oliver is the love of her life on her deathbed....she's got the last word about them.

IDK, I thought it undercut what they tried to sell with Laurel. They spent a lot of time removing her as 'the love interest' and turning her into BC and then kind of tainted all of that by making her last moments about when she was the love interest. It just didn't sit right with me and I'm not even a Laurel fan. 

• Love 7
(edited)

Well, she didn't die for Olicity. This show proved that they could have Olicity together in a committed relationship and Laurel on the show. It's definitely not an 'either/or' situation where you can't have both. They just decided they didn't want Laurel on the show anymore.

But it was a huge mistake to even go there. The dialogue was unnecessary. The whole scene was unnecessary. Olicity didn't need her blessing. Yuck.

Oh, I agree that she didn't die for Olicity.  But by having Laurel give Olicity her blessing in her final scene, it made it look like the two are connected.

I think MG and WM made a creative decision that it was going to be Laurel that died at the end of the season. But then it looks like they were sick of the ship wars and decided to sink Lauriver to the bottom of the ocean by turning Laurel into an Olicity shipper.

And even then that might have worked if they hadn't had Laurel say that Oliver was the love of her life.  That was the match to the tinder.

So the reptilian smile thing, is it Ruve specific or just how the actress smiles? Because if it's option A, fine, that's an acting choice. If it's option B, then I feel mean for writing it down.

I think it's Ruve but honestly, I can't remember well enough.

Edited by statsgirl
  • Love 1

I'm interested to see what will happen when Sara finds out. What this show needs is a Winchester-like cycle of one sibling dying, and the other bringing them back to life through some shady method, and the one resenting them for it, but then being unable to resist doing the same thing themselves when the other dies, over and over again until the fans riot.

I feel nothing over the death of Laurel. But this show just killed off Black Canary. Unforgivable. Basically doubling-down on their original mistake of not just MAKING SARA BLACK CANARY. Seriously! Don't adapt a hugely beloved character for your show if you're going to treat her this way!

Unless Sara ends up becoming Black Canary as a tribute to her sister, and then it's all fixed.... Huh. So simple to do. So unlikely it will actually happen in a satisfactory manner.

They could always make Felicity Black Canary.  I mean, it apparently isn't actually that much work, and the show is already so interested in making everything about her anyways.  And then they can kill her after a season because apparently that's how they roll.

• Love 1

It's a reminder of when things were simpler, when we weren't all fighting about who's in the grave and who's going to stay dead. :)

What was that time like? I don't remember. Was it good? I want to go there. 

• Love 5

I'm so glad I came here after the episode.

I felt bad that I laughed a fair bit throughout the episode, but now I don't.

Like what was that? I had to pause the show to make myself coffee because I couldn't BELIEVE Laurel called Oliver the love of her life AFTER HE'S BEEN SO HORRIBLE TO HER. I. Swear. I. Don't. Know.

Oliver and Laurel had a HORRIBLE relationship show. Stop trying to paint it any other way when you've gone out of your way to show they do not work well romantically. And why is Laurel shipping Olicity on her death bed? It's unnecessary show.

But other than that, completely hilarious.

• Love 11
(edited)

IDK, I thought it undercut what they tried to sell with Laurel. They spent a lot of time removing her as 'the love interest' and turning her into BC and then kind of tainted all of that by making her last moments about when she was the love interest. It just didn't sit right with me and I'm not even a Laurel fan. 

And I never really bought that Laurel had truly moved on from Oliver...not even with Tommy. I felt like she always carried a torch. I mean I think that's why she went with the whole "I know you in my bones" speech.  So I guess for me....it wasn't ENTIRELY out of left field.

Edited by catrox14
  • Love 1

NOOOOOO You can't kill Felicity off of the Felicity and Friends show!!! That's like killing off Felicity from... Felicity!

I would sue the show if this happens. And circulate petitions to get the EPs fired. And quit watching 10x.

• Love 5

This thread is getting too fighty.  If you are finding yourself getting worked up about either the show or people's opinions, please take a walk, do some yoga or pound some shots--whatever your preferred method of blowing off steam that doesn't involve cranky posting in this forum.  Hell, if you want to PM like-minded PTV friends, have at it. 

In any event, fan talk is not ok.  And while we're at it, the depth of the CW's acting bench is also getting a bit off topic, even for the relatively liberal guidelines of the Arrow forum.  Keep it to Arrow, please. 

• Love 9

What was up in KC acting in the prison scene in which Darhk apparently froze everyone on Team Arrow. Except for Laurel. What was with that? Was she not frozen or did KC just drop the ball?

What was supposed to happen for her? Was she supposed to go on to work in Oscar winning films? Emily isn't some hidden gem of a talent either, she got lucky with her role and she could very easily be another Nina Dobrev: main actress who is stuck on the CW for another 6 years on her CW show, popular in her small circle but fails miserably at breaking into the mainstream. Poor Nina is still kind of struggling at the moment with tiny indies and a role in the third XXX movie with Vin Diesel.

Like not every actor or actress on the CW will go on to accomplish bigger and better things. Some just move from show to show and make small indies. Contrary to popular belief, sometimes "real big things" just don't ever happen for some actors. No matter how many Teen Choice Awards they get nominated for over time.

Emily has already been in an Oscar nominated film. So suffice to say she's already crossed into that field in a shorter time span for being such a newcomer.
  • Love 1

What was up in KC acting in the prison scene in which Darhk apparently froze everyone on Team Arrow. Except for Laurel. What was with that? Was she not frozen or did KC just drop the ball?

I was wondering about that myself.  I'm inclined to go with....KC dropped the ball...

• Love 2

I was going to quote something, but the board doesn't let me. Anyway...

- My favourite part were the Diggle/Oliver scenes, and Diggle in general.

- I can't believe I actually liked KC's performance - at least on of her line readings, when she tells Darhk "I'll see you in court".

- I started giggling when the Picture of Doom made its reappearance, and kept on giggling until the end.

- Not a fan of the last deathbed scene, and not a fan of her giving Olicity her blessing.

- I did like Oliver's "I haven't even started torturing you" and the bit about the darkness.

- Felicity, please, BURN. THAT. COAT.

• Love 8
(edited)

Well, this was a lot to take in.

So, it's going to be Laurel in that grave.  Honestly, I was unspoiled and managed to stay away from any media while watching this, so I really assumed it was a fake-out. It was just weird that they cut away to her telling Oliver something "mysterious", and then suddenly she convulsing and dead.  I thought for sure they planned something.  But judging from here and all the interviews, unless the showrunners are just straight up lying, she truly is dead.  Wow, then her death scene really makes no sense.  All I can think of is all those shots with the doctor could mean she was on Damien's payroll or something.  It just feels weird that Laurel's death would be something so simple like complications in surgery and shot the way it was shot.

But if I'm going to take it on face value, then it truly is a sucky way to go.  I'm no huge fan of Laurel, but if they really want to be rid of her, at least give her a heroic moment or something.  For a second, i thought Damien was going to toss the arrow back at Oliver, and then Laurel would power through his force choke thing, and take the arrow for Oliver.  Cliched, but at least she would have sacrificed herself saving Oliver's ass.  Instead, she just gets shanked by Damien.  And then there is her deathbed scene, where suddenly she talks about how Oliver is the love of her life, and suddenly turns into an Olicity fan.  Again, the whole thing is just so fucking weird.  I don't understand why they suddenly brought Oliver/Laurel back into the forefront.  Her final moments would have made more sense with Quentin.  Actually, it really would have been better to have Laurel's final scene be with Sara, but that would be tough to pull off now.  But bringing back those two and showing off the perfect anti-chemistry between Stephen Amell and Katie Cassidy is not the way to go here, show.

One of the biggest reasons I can't see this being a cover-up between Oliver and Laurel is that it would be beyond cruel to trick Thea, Diggle, Felicity, and especially Quentin like this.  To make Quentin think he lost a daughter.... again.  Make Diggle feel like shit for being played by Andy.  So, yeah, I guess she is dead, unless they've got a magical time-trip hiding up their asses, and the writers are just flat-out lying.

Despite all these sentences, this was a pretty boring episode.  Everyone thing was telegraphed; Andy's betrayal, Damien getting the upper hand again, Laurel being the likely suspect; and it was almost a by the numbers episode, until the big "death" happens.  Some good acting (especially from David Ramsey and Paul Blackthorne at the end), but that's about it.

And because it can never be said enough, fuck these stupid, boring, incoherent, lame-ass flashbacks.

If this is really it, I hope Katie Cassidy finds a better role somewhere.

I will admit that the evil person in me wants to believe that somewhere on the Legends of Tomorrow set, Caity Lotz is shaking her head and secretly chuckling at these turn of events.  A season ago, she literally got dumped in a trash can for Laurel's journey into becoming the Canary.  Now, this has happened, while Caity is doing her own thing and getting to chill with folks like Victor Garber and Wentworth Miller.  Against all odds, she somehow came out ahead, I think.

Edited by thuganomics85
  • Love 13
.- I did like Oliver's "I haven't even started torturing you" and the bit about the darkness.

I was all "You go, Oliver!  Get him good!"

And I never really bought that Laurel had truly moved on from Oliver...not even with Tommy. I felt like she always carried a torch. I mean I think that's why she went with the whole "I know you in my bones" speech.  So I guess for me....it wasn't ENTIRELY out of left field.

Logically, I can see that.

But it feels disrespectful to Laurel.  I wanted her to have a death with dignity showing how much she'd grown since we first met her, and how she didn't need to be defined by a man. Instead we get her still hung up on the guy who left her behind 8 years ago, if he ever really did love her  If she had to have a love of her life, it should have been the guy who died to save her when she was still doing something idiotic.

• Love 5

Logically, I can see that.

But it feels disrespectful to Laurel.  I wanted her to have a death with dignity showing how much she'd grown since we first met her, and how she didn't need to be defined by a man. Instead we get her still hung up on the guy who left her behind 8 years ago, if he ever really did love her  If she had to have a love of her life, it should have been the guy who died to save her when she was still doing something idiotic.

It also paints the Laurel of the last few episodes in harsher light than I like or need. This mind boggling confession is suddenly casting a shade over her being a supportive friend to Oliver, making it look like she was trying to get an in with him after Felicity left. And I don't know that anyone needed or wanted that.

• Love 24

I think they may have actually said an embolism but that is usually a clot obstructing a blood vessel. The confusing part is not all blood clots will hurt you.  It all depends where they are.  If they slip to the heart or the brain death can be instantaneous.  Or they can be lucky and spend a week in bed rest on blood thinners and the body naturally absorb them like bruises leaving no damage.  (Hi mom!)  I have no idea if they'd trigger a seizure like that or not.  A stroke is basically a blot clot in the brain, does that trigger such a reaction? 

Thanks, I honestly did not hear them say anything, so that's what I was wondering about if you actually heard something. I could go back for to rewatch a confirmation, but it hurts me how bad the medicine is on this show. Daytime soaps and preschoolers playing doctor often do a better job.

Blood clots can be lethal or they can be benign & reabsorbed back in the body, like you described. In the 7 years I have worked on an acute care  Neurology/Neurosurgery floor (plus the 5yrs of general hospital experience), I have never witnessed or heard of a blood clot causing a seizure & then death. Seizures are generally caused by seizure disorders, brain tumors, alcohol withdrawals, rarely poisoning and central nervous system infections. They can also be caused by an imbalance in the body's electrolytes, metabolic disorder and heart disease. Something is not correct within the brain thus causing the seizure. Blood clots that travel to the brain do cause a stroke. Stroke symptoms often being altered mental status, loss of function, slurred speech, facial droop, arm weakness and other physiological symptoms (like blood pressure issues). But no part of her performance reflected a stroke.

Acute blood clots will often cause cardiac symptoms like rapid heart rate, sweating, chest pain, impending sense of doom, altered breathing pattern, skin discoloration (pale to blueish), fever, restlessness, cough and/or bloody sputum. Blood clots are a major concern after major surgery, I don't deny that it could have happened. And her body could have gone into shock as a result of the trauma & perhaps the clot, but still it shouldn't cause seizure like activity. If the acute blood clot moves to the wrong part of the brain, lungs or heart then the results can be lethal.

Without re-watching & reading the script, I can safely say that I have no idea what was supposed to kill LL because their interventions were all messed up. There was no way they were going to save her during that code, since everything was wrong from the order of their procedures to how they performed it. I know I should no expect accuracy from the writers. But honestly, if they have no clue what they are doing from a medical aspect - they should just have no dialogue just some sad music while the actors move around pretending to do stuff. And remember to do the basics like put the stickers on the actual skin. Or they should just have her be rushed into the trauma room like they did earlier and have her die in there unseen by the camera. I know they wanted their heart to hearts but it made for unnecessary bad medicine.

Guys, I can't keep up with the reports and the bickering.   We're getting really close to locking down the thread.  

Stick to the discussion of this episode in this thread.   Polite discussion of more holistic issues unrelated to fan opinion can happen in the appropriate threads.  

Please, everyone take a chill pill.  Enjoy this baby sloth in pajamas.

132379871015513558900101197_Pajamas.jpg

• Love 13
(edited)

Guys, I can't keep up with the reports and the bickering.   We're getting really close to locking down the thread.  

Stick to the discussion of this episode in this thread.   Polite discussion of more holistic issues unrelated to fan opinion can happen in the appropriate threads.  

Please, everyone take a chill pill.  Enjoy this baby sloth in pajamas.

132379871015513558900101197_Pajamas.jpg

Awww :) Sloth :))))

It's weird, some of the stuff that's been removed are just posts just joking around...

Edited by wonderwall
  • Love 1

Awww :) Sloth :))))

It's weird, some of the stuff that's been removed are just posts just joking around...

I get it, but let's stick to episode related chatter in this thread.  There's a lot of action going on today and for work reasons, I only have a sledge hammer to work with, not a scalpel.

• Love 4

I really thought I'd be more excited at the end of this episode, when they started the entire "who is in the grave?" plot I hoped and wished for it to be Laurel. She was the weak spot of the show and didn't care for what they did when they insta-made her Canary after Sara "died."  

But even though I'm glad it's her that's gone and not any of the others, that was really a blah episode. It felt like filler instead of an episode that killed off a series regular. It was so boring and I even think the character should have had a better send off. 

I laughed at Oliver telling Laurel that she took over for Sara when she was dead and she should go back to her own path now that Sara's alive. Basically Oliver said, Sara was the real black canary, she's alive, so you go be a DA.

Laurel's deathbed speech was bad and not really heroic.  Oliver is the love of her life, but she's the love of his? Everyone in the room said ILY to her except him.

4 seasons in and I have no idea why Laurel thinks Oliver is the love of her life considering he cheated throughout their entire relationship with everyone from her friends to her own sister.  She still carried around that picture knowing that he had her sister with him on the boat.

I think if it was a Laurel and Quentin scene at her deathbed I would have felt something more instead of what it was. He would have said goodbye, an I love you, it would have been emotional compared to Oliver/Laurel.

Quentin and DIg  won this episiode for me. Quentin realizing at the station Laurel was hurt and then that Laurel was dead from the look on Oliver's face. Diggie's disbelief of his brother not changing and his anger at Oliver over not trusting him. 

All those previews of the journalists who saw the episode promoted how teary it will make everyone, what the heck did they see?

• Love 10

Either that or he killed her, because that's seriously what the editing made it look like. 

I definitely do not think that OQ killed her, but the editing was bad and did leave it open to interpretation that he might have had something to do with it. Weird choices abound.

I also am very bitter and angry that they did not let QL have a death moment with his daughter. Out of all the people that LL & KC worked the best off of was QL & PB, the writers definitely screwed the actors & the audience by skipping out on that conversation. I know they wanted to be plotty and have him be stuck in the precinct, but seriously they could have let him make it just in time before she had her mysterious death.

• Love 3

I get it, but let's stick to episode related chatter in this thread.  There's a lot of action going on today and for work reasons, I only have a sledge hammer to work with, not a scalpel.

To make your busy day a little better:

tumblr_nx0vyq9suy1uhpfhpo1_500.gif

• Love 13
I wouldn't put it past Guggenheim and Mericle to make Felicity the Black Canary in Season 5, I really would not be surprised. There was a line in one of the interviews he gave that makes me think he'd easily let another woman on the show pick up the mantle and become BC.

On days I think the show will go ballsy and act way out of the box, I actually think there is the potential for them to make FS a BC. They've already had her in black and kicking ass multiple times. A few training sessions under her belt and a magical chip in her spine.... it could happen. Plus EBR does have the physique and technique to do more action.

That being said I have no idea about the final O/L moment, it was a simultaneous bone to the comic people who believe that GA/BC are soulmates and a BIG middle finger to those that disagree with them because they literally used LL as their personal mouthpiece to bless the canon couple they created.

On days I think the show will go ballsy and act way out of the box, I actually think there is the potential for them to make FS a BC. They've already had her in black and kicking ass multiple times. A few training sessions under her belt and a magical chip in her spine.... it could happen. Plus EBR does have the physique and technique to do more action.

That being said I have no idea about the final O/L moment, it was a simultaneous bone to the comic people who believe that GA/BC are soulmates and a BIG middle finger to those that disagree with them because they literally used LL as their personal mouthpiece to bless the canon couple they created.

I think if she had told Oliver he was the love of her life before she endorsed "Olicity" it would have rang much better.

Has anyone seen the actress playing Ruve anywhere else? She freaks me out when she smiles a little bit. Her upper lip curves up sort of weirdly. I don't know if that's how she normally does it or a character choice.

There's speculation that Ruve is actually Talia, what do you guys think?

• Love 3

While I have never wanted Felicity to don a mask, I would not be opposed to someone else picking up the BC mask. I didn't mind it when AU Diggle Jr. did it with the GA mask over on LoT, I wouldn't mind it here. It shows that what she did has left an impact and prompted someone else to keep on the fight.

Speaking about secret identities, what the hell was wrong with that medical personnel the doctor called in? The Black Canary was lying there and not one of them blinked. In retrospect, I'm also wondering why they took her to the hospital. I know it was bad (obviously), but they've dealt with Oliver's multiple life threatening injuries in the lair. Also, where were Dig and Thea when Oliver brought her in, did they run off to change clothes?

There's speculation that Ruve is actually Talia, what do you guys think?

If it's true, she's not really impressive. Though it would be a nice eff you from DD to Ra's, taking his own daughter away.

Well it sure was easy for Laurel to become BC. Like Sakura has said plenty of times she was only BC in name. Sara was the true BC If you want to get technical.

Even Stephen had to go on Arrow After Show to promote her arc (lol) and he said he hoped they wouldn't make it easy for others to become a comic book hero because look at what Oliver had to go through and he was still learning as all the producers said. Whereas, Laurel was fully realized in season 4. I'm sorry it's just so laughable.

I'm intrigued with the idea that Ruve is Talia, but also deeply dislike the LoA as the Arrow writers butcher them. So it would be interesting, however, I think I'm going to pass on it. We need to move the story forward, making Ruve Talia just brings it backwards.

• Love 2

On days I think the show will go ballsy and act way out of the box, I actually think there is the potential for them to make FS a BC. They've already had her in black and kicking ass multiple times. A few training sessions under her belt and a magical chip in her spine.... it could happen. Plus EBR does have the physique and technique to do more action..

Felicity finally got her own codename after 4 years. Why on earth would they have her pick up the twice used BC title?

• Love 5

I love how my posts are getting selectively removed on here. I can't even see my post that people are responding to, because the mods have removed it. I guess posters should be all Felicity <3 , Olicity <3 to get their posts stay on here. May as well stop posting on here and wasting my time, since my posts keep disappearing anyway.

Yep! Though I am not sure how anyone can enjoy this misogynistic, terribly written mess of a show. I hope no one talks about 'strong female characters' in relation to this show again, because that would ridiculously hilarious. 

Your posts (and others' posts) are being hidden because you are talking about other fans and their opinions rather than limiting your discussion to the show and your reaction to the episode.  (See, eg, the bold language above.)

• Love 4

Speaking about secret identities, what the hell was wrong with that medical personnel the doctor called in? The Black Canary was lying there and not one of them blinked. In retrospect, I'm also wondering why they took her to the hospital. I know it was bad (obviously), but they've dealt with Oliver's multiple life threatening injuries in the lair. Also, where were Dig and Thea when Oliver brought her in, did they run off to change clothes?

See, this partly why I think her death might not be really most sincerely dead. They seemed...off , the lot of them. Heck, I wonder Nyssa had her whisked away for safe keeping.  I'm

Or maybe  Lance and Nyssa set up some kind of way to squirrel Laurel out of town. Maybe his collapse was out of relief that the plan went through. I'm telling ya, I can't shake the sense that something is rotten in Denmark'

(edited)

Yeah, no idea what's happening in here, but I haven't seen anything offending.

Unfortunately a few people are reporting even though some of the posts aren't offensive. And the mods are backed up with a lot of posts

Edited by wonderwall
  • Love 4

Felicity finally got her own codename after 4 years. Why on earth would they have her pick up the twice used BC title?

Why do they ever do anything? That's why I said it was an out of the box thought. I think there is the potential that MG & co are egotistical enough to want to create their own GA/BC and prove that they can write the best story ever. I just don't believe it's that impossible of an idea. It might not be a good idea, but that doesn't mean it does not have the potential to happen.

Plus her code name is just a code name, it's not a comic designation or part of DC lore. It's MG's book. I can see them wanting to tie FS closer to the comics as the seasons go on.