Type keyword(s) to search

The Detour - General Discussion

• Start Topic

I get that she was sleep deprived and wanted to get to her kids, but I really hated Robin in the first episode. Also, the I don't understand Spanish jokes got really old really fast. The second episode was better. Nice to see John Oliver. Was he wearing the flag of Bahrain on his uniform? I felt really bad for Vanessa, getting screwed by a father she doesn't know. Although she is presumably the witness turning State's evidence. 

• Love 2

Season 3 starts Jan 23.  This time they're in Alaska.  I rewatched some of season 2 when they marathoned it on New Years Eve and it was just as funny the second time around so I'm really looking forward to this.

Trying to explain to my wife what was meant by Big Papa's and Sarah's "two-spirits" was fun...  She understands LGBT but still tends to think in gender binaries, for internalization, presentation and preference.

• Love 1

I am SO not a sitcom person.  Yet this show has not ceased to amuse me since Day 1.  It is SUCH a little gem!

Therefore, I am sad to learn that next week is already the season finale.  I need more of this kind of jocularity in my life.

• Love 2

My wife doesn't like Delilah, but I think she's the only one with ANY sense!  You know she can't wait until she's 18 and be done wirh these fools for good.  Even Edie, when she was looking for the weak point of the family, skipped Delilah ENTIRELY!

• Love 5
On 3/28/2018 at 12:03 PM, ZoqFotPik said:

You called it. I was surprised the season would end on such a downer. Did we not know Edie's last name until now? I was nice to see Julia Benson. I always liked her on Stargate Universe.

I was just 4 years off! 

I've forgotten -- is Nate Edie's baby-daddy?  (If so, he's mated in one way or another with all three sisters.  If not, do we know who Edie's baby-daddy is?)

==============================

ETA:  Nate is indeed Edie's baby-daddy but he doesn't know it; she got pregnant from one of Nate's sperm donations.

Edited by jhlipton
Baby-Daddy Update
  • Love 2
(edited)

Thanks!  Finally, there are just so many reruns you can watch of this show and its hilarity before it starts to lose its edge.  I want to know what the daughter is doing on her own and how her loss affects Jareb.

Edited by Jacks-Son

Somehow I missed season 3 entirely, so I just finally got to enjoy that. Just finished it up today. Which works out perfectly, as far as timing goes. Not only did I get to spend a day off catching up on a hilarious and unpredictable comedy, but I now have just the right amount of time to take a shower, grab some stuff at the hardware store, go to the bar, get drunk, and take some half price wings home before season 4 begins.

I'm looking forward to it. I even like that they've split the band up a little. Nate and Robin are a their best when they're playing off each other, and Jeb's character is pretty much the designated "dumbest guy in the group," which probably precludes him from not being part of the group, but Delilah's character is ready to go out and make some of her own trouble. I trust the writers to make it interesting, and I trust the kid playing her to make it great.

• Love 2

I was surprised this week, and not in a good way. Although there were certainly some recognizable jokes, they were all written too broadly to actually be funny. I hope next week is better. Narrowing the entire show's focus down to just three characters, one of whom is Jareb, didn't help.

• Love 1
(edited)

Does anyone know of any streaming sites or other ways to view season 3? The TBS app only has like the first 4 episodes and my DVR didn't record everything, so I missed the past several episodes of season 3 and Delilah's leaving, etc...

Edited by misterpunn
(edited)
1 hour ago, misterpunn said:

Does anyone know of any streaming sites or other ways to view season 3? The TBS app only has like the first 4 episodes and my DVR didn't record everything, so I missed the past several episodes of season 3 and Delilah's leaving, etc...

Have you tried YouTube? A lot of viewers like to upload TV episodes to YouTube (regular YouTube NOT YouTube TV).  Perhaps TBS has an On Demand channel.

Edited by Jacks-Son

I watched all of Season 3 through Hulu. As for the first two this season: If you don't catch the pilot you won't be missing much. Episode two is where the show finds itself again. I'm not sure where to stream that one, but if you miss the show again next week you can still record it the next day. The new episodes play twice on Tuesday night and then once more on Wednesday afternoon.

• Love 1

To me, one of the best episodes was when they fled to Alaska and created those ridiculous back stories.  I don't see how Jareb can survive without Delilah.  She's the ONLY one with any sense, well, Mom has some sense.  The males in this family are complete idiots.  Get some!

• Love 2
On 6/19/2019 at 8:40 PM, possibilities said:

I thought it was creepy that Dad couldn't let go. His daughter seemed to be fine. And for once Robin was right.

I didn't see it as creepy, he's just being a normal (for him) dad who wants to make sure his daughter is okay.  Besides, Delilah seems to be asking them to come find her despite her pleas to not search for her.  Her constant updates on her status seemed more a weird attempt to make her dad keep up the search.  She knows how he is and knows how to play him.

• Love 2
On 6/28/2019 at 12:16 PM, Jacks-Son said:

She's the ONLY one with any sense, well, Mom has some sense.  The males in this family are complete idiots.

I think Nate would be okay in a more normal relationship. A lot of his crazy is having to deal with Robin's skeletons. 

On 6/19/2019 at 8:40 PM, possibilities said:

I thought it was creepy that Dad couldn't let go. His daughter seemed to be fine.

Delilah is only 16.

So, once again Robin hides something from her past and it comes back to bite them. Saw the switch coming as soon as Blue Jay was introduced. The twin switcharoo is such an over used trope. Also, I'm assuming Robin's Mother is Delilah's unseen benefactor from the last week. And, while I've never been there, isn't Ithaca less rednecky and more college towny? Granted I don't watch this show for accuracy.

The game show schtick had a lot of funny components, especially the clown-job, but it was way over-extended. I'd rather watch twenty minutes of the characters acting like themselves than twenty minutes of "OMG, aren't Japanese games shows silly, LOL?" Yes, they are. But if I'd rather be watching a Japanese game show, I would watch a Japanese game show. A good counterpoint to how it was handled was the USPIS musical, which I would unquestionably rate as one of the funniest moments in the show's entire run. And all they did was go crazy with it for a few minutes and leave us wanting more. If they'd tried to make it a whole episode, that would probably have just been weird.

• LOL 1
  • Love 1