Type keyword(s) to search

The Detour - General Discussion

• Start Topic

Samatha Bee mentioned the show in an interview; otherwise I knew nothing about it and hadn't seen any promotions. It was probably well done but I don't really like slapstick humor or silly situations taken to the extreme. It's uncomfortable for me rather than funny.

I'm sure others will enjoy it and it's already been renewed for a second season. It is raunchy and caustic and definitely not a family comedy that kids should be watching, though.

I find Samantha Bee's show kind of preachy and annoying sometimes but I think this show is hilarious. I like how the show is allowing us to discover what's going on only in bits and pieces each week; all the flashbacks and flash-forwards help keep things interesting. And the performances are all great, Jason Jones is good but I find Natalie Zea funny as well (never seen her in anything else, so I have no preconceived notions of her as an actress). I enjoyed the recent "Vacation" sequel too, which a lot of people seem to have hated, so maybe I just like this kind of comedy.

• Love 2

I was liking the show until this week. I just hated it this week.

First of all, the wife is useless. I was okay with her sometimes being goofy, like when she got high. But it seems like she's always useless. This week she was worse than useless. It's like they are going out of their way to make her as useless as possible, to glorify the dad. I don't need to see that.

Dad: is the only person who doesn't want to go to the racist restaurant. He's the only person who cleans up the vomit. He's the person trying to blow the whistle on his former employer, against a sea of indifference and incompetence and malfeasance everywhere he turns. He's the person who does the parenting because the mom is checked out or too squeamish or immature. He's a committed anti-racist but "those people" are "too difficult" so boohoo poor white male who only wants to do right and everyone attacks him for it. He even took the call about their cat dying. I mean, it's the wife's sister who's housesitting, and she called HIM, not her own sister. That really says it all.

The show could be great. I think the kids are great. And I don't mind seeing a hero try to do the right thing against a tide of BS, but I don't like seeing the husband glorified at the expense of the wife (also don't like seeing the wife glorified at the expense of the husband, which happens in sitcoms as well). I just don't find that kind of marriage humor funny. They need to balance it a bit. She can be high one episode, if she's not also acting like dead weight or worse in the next two.

Also, honestly, at first I could relate to the humor of the "millenial journalist" who has a combined entitlement/idiocy score that breaks any tool that's used to measure it, but then I was wondering, if he had such a huge story, why he couldn't get an actual journalist to take it. News media loves scandals and it looks like whatever he's trying to blow the whistle on is a big deal.

This show has potential to be right up my alley. But they're blowing it.

Edited by possibilities
  • Love 1

Finally caught up (episode 6), and I'm loving it. The humor is extremely twisted but that's just fine with me.

Age of consent varies so widely from state to state -- 18 is just the maximum of all the states, so that's why it's used at the federal level.

• Love 2

I honestly disliked the first few episodes, found the middle ones to just be decent but this week's and last weeks I really enjoyed.  I'm looking forward to the rest of the season (although what are they going to do next season).

Jehovah Witnesses actually don't like Christmas since they feel it diminishes the importance of Easter...

I loved how they never showed the faces of Nate's parents -- I think they were played by Jason Jones and Natalie Zea.

Hand sanitizer -- Is someone on the writing staff a Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy fan?

On 5/25/2016 at 2:14 AM, jhlipton said:

I loved how they never showed the faces of Nate's parents -- I think they were played by Jason Jones and Natalie Zea

I"m pretty sure his mom is being played by Sam Bee, the voice a lot like hers and we saw her in the (second?) episode where they stayed in the motel.  Really like this show too!

I wasn't sure where they could take a season 2, but so far it's been pretty funny.  I take it the framing sequence in season 1 is still in the future judging by the brief framing sequence in the second episode.  It would make sense seeing as how there was no followup on the twist at the end of last season.

Yes, Phish, hilarious. I like the kids the best in this. I'm looking forward to seeing/hearing "it's fun being weird" in the actual show, seen it as a commercial numerous times & is what got to me interested in the show. I watched the entire first season on demand just from that commercial.

(edited)

Did they film the first season, like, three years ago or something? The kids are so much older than they were in Season 1. I still really like the kids, but I was disappointed in the premiere overall. I really liked Season 1, but I think they earned their awkward situations a LOT more than the first couple of episodes this season. Here, they did things that no one would ever actually do, even dumb people. It was like a really shitty episode of Frasier. ("What kind of wacky misunderstanding can we get them into? I know, let's have people say things no one would ever actually say and then people will misunderstand them and hilarity will ensue"). Really makes you admire how much work Frasier put into making the same sort of farcical stuff actually land (and, to be fair, Season 1 of this very show, as well). 

Edited by Brian Cronin
  • Love 1
6 hours ago, 17wheatthins said:

Cock bock! (That's how closed captioning spelled it)

The fact that she kept yelling it at inopportune times made me laugh.

I loved how she was inadvertently using it correctly each time.

• Love 6
2 hours ago, Perfect Xero said:

I mean, I'm usually down for some pretty dark humour, but did this show just play marital rape for laughs?

A 12 year-old playing "7 Minutes In Heaven"; clit rings, Cock Bocking; is there any where this show won't go?

• Love 2

TV shows routinely dumb their characters down, but it typically takes a bit longer than the start of the second season. Delilah has become an imbecile so far this season. Don't get me wrong, the "Cock bock" stuff was funny, but it only works if she is, well, you know, an imbecile. And she wasn't one last season. There's got to be a better way for this show to get to the farce without making the characters unbelievably stupid. They did such a great job with it last season (Jareb was a moron, but that was fine, as that was his characterization all season long), so it's why it grates more this season that they don't seem to want to set this stuff up better. It's just "Nate acts like a moron," "Delilah acts like a moron," etc. You can have wacky misunderstandings without the characters being imbeciles. Plenty of shows have done it for decades. If the first season weren't so good at this stuff, I'd just say, "Oh well, this is just a dumb show" but the first season WAS so good at this stuff, so it really gets to me. 

• Love 3

Robin is the absolute worst.  She is a pathological liar at best and a sociopath at worst.  As the episode unfolded,my first thought was why does Nate believe those kids are his, and then they actually put it out there.  The sad part is that Nate didn't seem to get the paternity issue when he found out Robin screwed Carlos right before she met and screwed him.

• Love 1

Well that was a pretty good episode.  Enjoyed last week with the various characters inserted into the flashbacks.  It was a neat idea last season and this episode was a good follow up on that concept.  This week's breaks from that, but I feel that playing the flashback straight here was a good call.  Nate may be an idiot but he's kind of a good guy when it comes down to it.

2 hours ago, Matt K said:

Nate may be an idiot but he's kind of a good guy when it comes down to it.

"May be"????  I think the jury came back on that verdict early in Season 1!
I was hoping "Margaret Sanger" was going to add "without the eugenics"...

• Love 2
On 3/30/2017 at 1:03 PM, butterbody said:

I sincerely appreciated the effort that must have gone into that Hamiltonesque USPIS musical.

This show just doesn't get the attention it deserves.

It should be on TBS!  So funny!!!

I wonder if anyone else noticed that it wasn't just "Frank!" that was "diverse" (all black except for "Sally Hamilton"!)  The other main couple -- the boss and the rook, and the "Cancer Bitches" video were black men-white women.  I have to wonder if that was intentional...

• Love 2

So apparently, the rest of the season is on demand (on FIOS at least) and they are hilarious.  The B Frank show was amazing and the hole USPIS story line is ridiculous (in a good way).  I'm impressed with how much funnier this season is than last (and I enjoyed last season).  Here's hoping for another season.

• Love 1
14 hours ago, possibilities said:

Jareb belting his dad in the nuts wasn't funny to me; but the way the family reacted to SWAT was so good.

It was showing that he had watched every episode of America's Funniest Home Videos and came away with the (understandable) impression that hitting someone in the nuts was inherently funny.  Him hitting his dad wasn't the joke -- him thinking it was funny was.