Type keyword(s) to search

Adam-12 - General Discussion

bigskygirl
  • Start Topic

Or a Camaro.

If I remember the era right almost always the Firebird Trans Am and even a plain jane Firebird for Jim Rockford got more TV character love then its brother Cameros

• Love 1

To be fair, SWAT teams as we know them didn't exist until after 1966 (the infamous Texas Tower Sniper incident is cited as the reason police needed to step up their tactics).  Even when they were organized, they were still limited to large police departments that had the manpower and funding to train them (LA, NY, etc.).  When Bulletproof vests came along - they were made of lead, not kevlar.  That made them very heavy and not easy to move around in them.  Many cops chose not to wear them.

Have you seen the episode where Jack Webb introduces S,W,A,T as the radio reporter standing in for America ask, not "swat" to the public. There is a sniper on a roof and after evacuating the area Officers Malloy and Reed, even if Reed was just off probation at that point of the show's run, become part of the SWAT team. Besides the M-16 and firecrackers instead of flash bang grenades the only special gear worn where combat boots, coveralls over their uniforms and trading the bus driver service cap for a baseball or patrol cap.

The formula may be too simple, now, post-COPS, NYPD Blue and Law and Order.

True, but the whole premise is basing each criminal case on a real one, so episodes can still be written closer to the current style of fictional shows, as long as they stay true to original events.  I'd totally be onboard with a remake - or a reboot/continuation if they bring Reed & Molloy in for glorified cameos (perhaps their children or grandchildren are on the force, etc.) early on in the show.

[brian Geraghty]'s got that "Martin Milner" look about him.

He certainly does!  Actor  Benjamin McKenzie also reminded me of Martin Milner during his time on "Southland".  I later read that was no accident.  For a while I half expected Martin Milner to play his uncle or something!

I remember watching Adam-12 and Dragnet on cable TV in the 90s as a child.  Over the last year or so I've watched every episode of Dragnet and Adam-12 available on Hulu (only the first four seasons sadly).  I really enjoy this show.  In a lot of ways it's like a window for me into a simpler (maybe better) time I never got to experience.  

My favorite cameo role of his is as the SP explaining to "Mr. Roberts" why his crew and ship were being thrown out of port.  That accent!

Nice to read that he and McCord stayed friends over the years.

• Love 1

Another sixties icon passed. Along with Batgirl and Wrangler Jane he satisfied the rule of three.

He will be missed.

And don't forget Judy "Sock it to me" Carne, who died Sept 3. :(

Today on Cosy TV they played a Dragnet episode that featured the "Adam-12" team. I think it was a coincidence. Then on the 2 "Adam-12" episodes, they had a dedication picture during the episode breaks.  It kinda made me tear up; he looked so young.

On 3/28/2014 at 4:38 PM, bigskygirl said:

I would not mind being arrested by Pete and Jim.

I had a crush on Jim when I was little. Both of them are handsome.

On 12/11/2014 at 1:56 PM, Raja said:

I don't remember the never emptying cowboy six shooters. There is the famous command presence episode where Malloy held a man off with an empty revolver. Then when Reed had Mark Harmon as a boot the rookie lost his gun and used the same command presence to capture a gunman.

I hadn't seen this show in years was channel surfing past COZI TV and saw this episode. What a pleasant surprise that Mark Harmon was in it! As Abby would say, "he's baby Gibbs!" Other than that, it was hard for me to watch the show again. 

5 hours ago, MaiTaiTime33 said:

I had a crush on Jim when I was little. Both of them are handsome.

I hadn't seen this show in years was channel surfing past COZI TV and saw this episode. What a pleasant surprise that Mark Harmon was in it! As Abby would say, "he's baby Gibbs!" Other than that, it was hard for me to watch the show again. 

Mark Harmon couldn't have been more than two years out of UCLA when they filmed the episode. They may have had an episode where the boot, what Southland taught us was the actual LAPD term, didn't make it but they played it as if "probie" Gibbs would calm down and make it through the probationary  year for the LAPD career.

Since the other LAPD show that I get to watch on a constant basis is The Closer/Major Crimes I got used to the "critical missing" with the entire department and the FBI rolling. 

I  a blast from the past on what turned out to be a father making an unauthorized visit. What witnessed reported as a kidnapping of a 12 year old boy had them worrying about a ransom, instead of a sex offender. And then the kicker was their Sergeant just informing the detectives and telling Reed and Malloy to go handle a barking dog call.