Type keyword(s) to search

All Episodes Talk: 48 Hours

• Start Topic

This was my first time hearing about this case.  I felt like they completely glossed over the shooting itself.  What did Bernie claim happened?  That it was self defense and the only way he could leave her clutches?

That they were in an abusive relationship and he had a disociative episode and just snapped. 

Even if you think he's is guilty as sin and shoukd be in jail, I still think Bernie is a great movie. Jack Black, Shire McClain and Matthew Macounehey are all fantastic. 

• Love 1

I thought the movie Bernie was superb but, even while watching it, I thought Bernie was guilty as heck. I can see how family would take issue with the movie. Linklater and Black did annoy me though as they spoke of Bernie. I would have entertained the dissociative stuff if he had not walked up to her and shot her as she lay on the ground and then continued to spend her money after she was dead.

• Love 5

I'm honestly undecided on Bernie.  I suspect the truth is actually somewhere between his account and the grandchildren's.  If they were so worried about her, I'm pretty sure elder abuse is illegal, even in Texas.  Why not report him?

• Love 1
34 minutes ago, starri said:

I'm honestly undecided on Bernie.  I suspect the truth is actually somewhere between his account and the grandchildren's.  If they were so worried about her, I'm pretty sure elder abuse is illegal, even in Texas.  Why not report him?

I really disliked the grandchildren. From what I remember it was 1991 when Marjorie and Bernie became friends. The one granddaughter said that when they went to see the grandmother in 1994 there were pictures of Bernie all over the house and none of the grandfather. And they had no idea who Bernie was. But he had already been a big part of her life for 3 years by then. So where were they in the last three years, not to mention their father? 

I watched the movie Bernie last night and thought it was well done. I also think the reason that the grandchildren didn't like it was that it painted them in a very bad light. I think many of the things in the movie were probably quite true. Like one of the granddaughters and her brother sued Marjorie for the money in their trust fund. This is when she cut them out of her life as she felt that they were only interested in her money, and never came to see her. Funny that the granddaughters failed to mention that on the 48 hours show.

Also in the movie it said (again it may not be true but I think most likely is) that the money Bernie spent after Marjorie died was on people in the town. Bought businesses that were going under, bought people cars that needed one (though he was still making payments on his own), paid off people's mortgages, gave money to have additions put on I think the church? In any case it said he spend $600,000 after Marjorie died and pretty much all of it on others. Which would explain why the townspeople loved him even though he killed Marjorie. And the fact that he was still living in his own little home after Marjorie died would seem to me to show that he didn't care all that much about the money for himself. 

In any case he did deserve to go to jail though I don't know about for life. And I am happy that he spent so much of Marjorie's money - less for the greedy and uncaring grandchildren (and their father) to inherit. 

Edited by UsernameFatigue
  • Love 9

Yeah the Hollywood people were annoying, couldn't believe they fell for Bernie's crap when he clearly killed the woman in cold blood.   I did think it odd that the granddaughters didn't see her more often, but I don't know,them they may have spoken to her on the phone all the time.

• Love 4
4 hours ago, partofme said:

Yeah the Hollywood people were annoying, couldn't believe they fell for Bernie's crap when he clearly killed the woman in cold blood.   I did think it odd that the granddaughters didn't see her more often, but I don't know,them they may have spoken to her on the phone all the time.

I doubt it. Since they had no idea who Bernie was, three years after Marjorie and Bernie started their friendship, I doubt if they had a clue what their grandmother had been doing for the three years before they saw her. 

• Love 2
4 hours ago, partofme said:

As Linklater mentioned he is an indie director from Texas who has never been "Hollywood," his movies have just been critically acclaimed and a few of his early ones launched some actors who became famous. 

Most of the people of Carthage felt the same way about Bernie and the murder as Linklater and Jack Black. Several of the townspeople played versions of themselves in the movie.

• Love 2

I just rewatched (on ID) the two-parter about the celebrity dog trainer who gets murdered by his rich ex and her little pipsqueak of a boyfriend.  Well, the ex didn't actually pull the trigger, but she clearly set the plan in motion for the boyfriend to do it.  In their on-camera interviews, it's like they were trying for Oscar nominations with the tears and the trembling whispers.  Plus you had the added bonus of the boyfriend's mommy calling him her "little warrior" in her interview.  Total weirdos.

• Love 3

I laughed out loud when the grand children were asked if she was kind and the one granddaughter was like "......." *trying to nod* "......she...waaaaaaassssssssss..."  Like you could just hear her internal voice, "I hated that crazy old bitch."

Her granddaughters did not come off great on this show.  

• Love 5

I haven't seen the movie "Bernie" but they showed the scene where Jack Black shoots her. However, the scene with Jack Black just showed him shooting from a few feet away and then he drops the rifle and runs over to her like he can't believe what he did.  In reality he shot once from a few feet away and then walked over and put the barrel against her after she was down and shot again. Did the movie not portray it this way? If not that was a real disservice to the audience. It makes a hell of a difference.

• Love 1
1 hour ago, Ina123 said:

I haven't seen the movie "Bernie" but they showed the scene where Jack Black shoots her. However, the scene with Jack Black just showed him shooting from a few feet away and then he drops the rifle and runs over to her like he can't believe what he did.  In reality he shot once from a few feet away and then walked over and put the barrel against her after she was down and shot again. Did the movie not portray it this way? If not that was a real disservice to the audience. It makes a hell of a difference.

No. The movie portrayed it just as the scene played out on 48 Hours.

As awful as I might think the granddaughters are, and I am not sure if I really think that, and as curmudgeonly as Marjorie may have been, and I do believe she was, I refuse to believe that Bernie didn't just outright kill her.

I do believe that people can have a dissociative episode but don't believe Bernie did. I think he liked what Marjorie's money bought him but was sick of Marjorie's bullshit.  

• Love 6
2 hours ago, Enigma X said:

As awful as I might think the granddaughters are, and I am not sure if I really think that, and as curmudgeonly as Marjorie may have been, and I do believe she was, I refuse to believe that Bernie didn't just outright kill her.

I  that people can have a dissociative episode but don't believe Bernie did. I think he liked what Marjorie's money bought him but was sick of Marjorie's bullshit.  

I agree.  He said that he felt he could not leave.  I might be wrong, but didn't he leave Marjorie's home each day to his own.  If didn't want to deal with her anymore, he could just decide not to go over Marjorie's anymore.  So I'm not buying it. 

• Love 7

Ashton Sachs is a conundrum.  He does seem like a sociopath, but I think I did see genuine sadness in his eyes when he was being sentenced.  This is probably why I try not to judge people just on their demeanor.

I don't know why they had Erin take over the reporting from Troy, but I'm glad they did, even if she was only subletting Maureen's warehouse and not interviewing anyone.

• Love 1

I remember the the first time the Sachs episode was on.  I never understood why he did it.   Something must have happened to make him snap. 

I remembering feeling sorry for the kids, losing their parents, one child paralyzed. Although I get the impression the parents would never be nominated for parents of the year, they certainly didn't derserve to be killed. 

Did anyone watch last night's episode on the Texas case of Bill Hall, Frances Hall and Bonnie Contreras?  

I am floored at how Frances, the wife, could be charged with murder and yet no charges filed against the mistress Bonnie?  That makes zero sense to me.

And the female prosecutor's claim that Frances' voice mail to Bonnie proved that Frances had the mindset to murder?  I disagree.  What it meant was that she was angry that her husband was screwing around with this bimbo, that's all.  It doesn't prove that she could and did murder anyone.

And what a surprise - - Bonnie files a civil suit against Frances.  Of course she does.

This is completely shallow but . . . the program said that Bonnie was 28 when the affair started and had been going on for 3 years by 2013.  That would mean that she was 31 when Bill died and 34 today?  Damn, she looks rough for 34.

• Love 20
11 minutes ago, psychoticstate said:

Did anyone watch last night's episode on the Texas case of Bill Hall, Frances Hall and Bonnie Contreras?  

I am floored at how Frances, the wife, could be charged with murder and yet no charges filed against the mistress Bonnie?  That makes zero sense to me.

And the female prosecutor's claim that Frances' voice mail to Bonnie proved that Frances had the mindset to murder?  I disagree.  What it meant was that she was angry that her husband was screwing around with this bimbo, that's all.  It doesn't prove that she could and did murder anyone.

And what a surprise - - Bonnie files a civil suit against Frances.  Of course she does.

This is completely shallow but . . . the program said that Bonnie was 28 when the affair started and had been going on for 3 years by 2013.  That would mean that she was 31 when Bill died and 34 today?  Damn, she looks rough for 34.

Making duck lips for every single selfie can take its toll.

They couldn't really charge Bonnie with anything (except stupidity...) because at no time was she pursuing Frances.  Frances was kind of an idiot too - "Let me just chase my husband's girlfriend down the highway at 85 mph until she stops and talks to me..." but I can understand her anger and frustration.  And then Bill joins the convoy...what is wrong with people?  Who does this? 

I felt so bad for the wife.  Seemed like an accident to me and I thought she would do nominal time but apparently not.  

• Love 11
23 minutes ago, psychoticstate said:

Yes, the gall of her.  However, I was wondering why Frances didn't file suit against Bonnie for harassment because of all those emails (or were they texts?) that she sent to Frances and her husband.  

• Love 7
11 minutes ago, Albino said:

Making duck lips for every single selfie can take its toll.

They couldn't really charge Bonnie with anything (except stupidity...) because at no time was she pursuing Frances.  Frances was kind of an idiot too - "Let me just chase my husband's girlfriend down the highway at 85 mph until she stops and talks to me..." but I can understand her anger and frustration.  And then Bill joins the convoy...what is wrong with people?  Who does this? 

I felt so bad for the wife.  Seemed like an accident to me and I thought she would do nominal time but apparently not.  

3 minutes ago, Ohwell said:

Yes, the gall of her.  However, I was wondering why Frances didn't file suit against Bonnie for harassment because of all those emails (or were they texts?) that she sent to Frances and her husband.  

Bonnie was actually driving the Frances' SUV

• Love 2

My rather simplistic opinion....  These cases with woman who find out that their husband is a philanderer, but she stays with him make me shake my head.  They always take the majority of their anger out on the other woman and hubby gets to have two women fighting over him.  Frances should have changed her phone number/ignored the fool when Bonnie started the campaign of abuse or told Bill to put a leash on her.  

Chasing your husbands immature bimbo down a road at excessive speed is not gonna solve anything.   And it sounded like Bill would just get another GF at the drop of a hat.   Either divorce him or get yourself a BF to fill the void.

• Love 13
3 hours ago, Albino said:

They couldn't really charge Bonnie with anything (except stupidity...) because at no time was she pursuing Frances.  

No, she wasn't but she was driving recklessly - - excessive speeds, pulling into oncoming traffic and slamming on her brakes.  If Frances could be charged with intentionally killing her husband (which I don't think she did), why can't Bonnie be legally complicit as well? 

The whole thing was a freaking mess.  Frances should have kicked her husband out, filed for divorce and cleaned his clock financially.  Let the bimbo have him.  As soon as the wife is out of the picture, Bonnie wouldn't be nearly as attractive - - and a job position (side piece) opens up.  

Not that the husband deserved to die but what kind of special POS was he that he let his mistress drive his wife's car??  And when anyone, including his wife, could see it?  Jeebus. 

• Love 13

I felt bad for Frances, and didn't think she deserved life.  However,I did not think two years was too much.   Her husband did die, and she was driving recklessly down the interstate.  It could have easily been someone else that she sideswiped.   I was disappointed at the end when she went on about how she was going to be separated from her grandkids for two years.   I gather  she  thought she should get probation or a pat on the back?  Look, I get that she was mad and upset.  She should have just called the cops and told them that someone was driving the family car without HER permission, and where she was.   She should have reported Bonnie several weeks earlier when she was texting all those things all day long.  Especially when Bonnie sent her nude photos - that's sexting, and Bonnie could have been arrested for that.  

As for Bonnie, what a piece of work.  If the man hasn't left his wife after 3 years, he is not going to. Take your lovely parting gifts of two cars, and 3 years of free rent, and go hunt up someone else.   She should have pulled over - if Bill was following, he would have stopped.  It's not as if Frances could really hurt her standing by the side of the road.  Someone would have stopped and pulled Frances off.  I'm surprised Bonnie didn't relish the chance to harass Frances in person - kind of shows her cowardice.  Any man who watches this episode and dates Bonnie deserves to have their life turned upside down when the relationship cools.

And for all the idiot cheating males -- think about how easily this could be you. 

Edited by mythoughtis
  • Love 14
9 hours ago, starri said:

Ashton Sachs is a conundrum.  He does seem like a sociopath, but I think I did see genuine sadness in his eyes when he was being sentenced.  This is probably why I try not to judge people just on their demeanor.

I don't know why they had Erin take over the reporting from Troy, but I'm glad they did, even if she was only subletting Maureen's warehouse and not interviewing anyone.

The Ashton Sachs case made me think of Nancy Pfister, that awful woman who was killed in Colorado.  Not saying that Ashton was entitled to kill his mother, but I certainly didn't like Audra.

On 10/10/2016 at 10:02 AM, Enigma X said:

I do believe that people can have a dissociative episode but don't believe Bernie did. I think he liked what Marjorie's money bought him but was sick of Marjorie's bullshit.  

Something was off about Bernie.  Marjorie doesn't sound like she was a pleasant person, but Bernie didn't seem genuine to me.

On 10/9/2016 at 9:25 AM, starri said:

I hate the death penalty.  Even for scumbags like Daniel Wozniak.

However, I'm always happy to see Tracy Smith.

Is that what happened?  My DVR cut off.

Edited by Ohmo

Wow.  Gotta say - I have a very different opinion on Driven to Extremes than most here.  I actually watched it twice because the first time left me so irritated, and I wanted to confirm what irritated me.

First off, I'm not on Bonnie's side, don't agree with being a mistress, don't believe in harassing via text, or being some man's sidepiece.  But man, I'm just not buying what Francis is selling.  I'm irritated by Francis, the daughter, and the defense attorney painting Francis as a martyr.  And I cannot stand when the blame for an affair falls primarily on the non-married member.  Francis was "tortured" by Bonnie for three years.  Hmm.  Interesting.  Wonder where Bonnie got Francis's number.  Bill.  Wonder where Bonnie got the daughter's number.  Bill or Francis.  Wonder how Bonnie knew about Francis's lipo.  Bill.  Wonder how Bonnie tortured Francis for three years when Francis claims to have only learned about the affair a month before the accident. 

So many questions.  Here's more:  How many times does your husband's mistress text you before you block her (or dump him)?  How many "compromising pictures" do you receive of your husband with his mistress before you block her (or dump him)?  How is a man cowardly ghosting his mistress when he continues to receive texts from her, rather than blocking or changing his number?  How is a man distancing himself from the mistress he's tired of by running to her when his wife kicks him out?  And no, I don't think any of Bonnie's behavior was acceptable.  All the texts, the "compromising pics", and taking pictures outside the home.  I would be very upset with Bonnie, but I would put the proper portion (majority) of the blame on the dirty cheating dog I was married to.  And if I really had even a little bit of fear, I would go to the police, show them the evidence, and very easily receive a restraining order.  I'd also block her number, or simply change my number. 

I don't think that Francis set out that day to kill her husband.  I don't necessarily think she thought about killing him in the midst of her road rage.  And while I think her husband was way overdue for some consequences, she was said to have resorted to violence when kicking him out of the home, and the cousin confirmed it.  So she's not the fragile delicate flower the defense, and Francis, are trying to paint.  In fact, the pictures of her arrest are extremely interesting.  After going hell to leather to chase someone (80-100 mph) to simply "talk to them"; being so frightened by the chase that YOU are the aggressor in; can't bother to notice that you hit your husband, which caused your big window to blow out, which you also claim you didn't notice; while neglecting to call 911, then watching your husband die in the weeds - Her makeup was flawless.  Flawless makeup, dry eyes, and totally pissed off look.  Not at all the type of person we were described.  She was also quite menacing looking in the trial shots.   This woman is still angry.  Her overblown sobbing was way OTT.

I didn't like Bill or even feel too sorry for him.  But it is sort of pathetic to be run over by your wife as she's road raging your mistress, yet neither bother to check on you, or even to call 911.  Dying slowly in the weeds like road kill.  And it disturbs me that Francis disavows any responsibility.  I'm actually a little shocked that some here want the mistress tried instead of the wife.  I don't get it.  Since when is it the person being chased who's at fault when the pursuer kills someone (unless the cops are involved)?  Bonnie's at fault for braking while Francis is on her ass?  I thought braking was the universal sign for back the fuck off my bumper.  And Francis's sobs about how she didn't realize she hit her husband, or even hear her large window explode, because that mean Bonnie kept braking, and since I'm tailgating her at high rates of speed, I have to play close attention!  Back off, you dumb ass idiot.  You were the pursuer!  You're not a cop.  You're not pursuing someone committing a crime, and you're not saving anyone.  And while Bill was a complete idiot for attempting to intervene, most of us would call him a POS if he simply rode off and let them fight it out. 

• Love 15

I've said way too much, and I'm not sure why I'm so fired up, but here's the last of it.

Even the cops are now held accountable when a high speed chase ends in significant injury or death.  Francis doesn't claim that Bonnie had her car (it was simply a car she frequently drove).  Francis doesn't claim someone's life was in danger, or Bonnie was kidnapping her child.  Francis claims, in full sincerity, that she pursued this other car at high speeds, observed the person she's chasing swerve into oncoming traffic (possibly from hitting that car with her own), watched her husband swerve back and forth between them, and dangerously roared into a U-turn, all because she wanted to have a little talk with this woman.  It's beyond bizarre.  She was pissed, egged on by her daughter, and got caught up in some road rage.  Just because the victim was a cheating dog doesn't mean he deserved to die.  I'm certainly glad that she didn't take out an innocent family - not for lack of trying.  And she accepts nothing.  Not even bad judgment.  There are plenty of accidental deaths.  Parents run over their kids.  Someone drowns in the family pool.  A house fire in which only some escape.  Yet the survivors usually feel some sort of guilt.  And imagine the parent saying - well it's not my fault.  I ran over my kids while I was chasing the fucking slut who's sleeping with my husband.  After one month, I mean three years, it's essential that I talk to her.

A definition of Road Rage:

"Road rage (also known as a traffic tantrum[1]) is aggressive or angry behavior by a driver of an automobile or other road vehicle which includes rude gestures, verbal insults, physical threats or dangerous driving methods targeted toward another driver in an effort to intimidate or release frustration. Road rage can lead to altercations, assaults and collisions that result in serious physical injuries or even death. It can be thought of as an extreme case of aggressive driving."

If Francis would acknowledge her anger, and admit that she temporarily lost all discretion and chased Bonnie with no concern for anyone's life, including her own, I'd probably be completely on her side.  But she doesn't do this.   Instead she sobs for the TV.  I would never hurt him (you did), and even better - "But I didn't hit him head on!". 

And I couldn't contain a giggle when I saw that Bill was buried with a big old wedding picture of the happy couple, and their wedding date on his tombstone.  And words to the effect that he didn't speak as he was dying.  It's something I would expect from SNL, and I swear I think the show was winking at the audience with that.  All that was missing:  Here lies Bill.  Killed when his selfless wife ran him down. 

• Love 13

Come sit with me, RedheadZombie.  Frances is upset over 2 years?  I would have given her AT LEAST five, without batting an eye.  First off, you KNEW that your husband was sleeping around on you.  He'd done it before, so I agree with his cousin.  She did indeed at some point own it because she kept letting it happen.  (I'm talking before Bonnie.)  Now, when we get to Bonnie, cyberstalking is not acceptable, but DO something about it, Frances!  See if it's a crime in your jurisdiction by reporting it to the cops.  Block her on your phone.  Kick Bill to the curb!

I don't believe that Frances meant to kill Bill, but there is absolutely no doubt that she was going after Bonnie.  It may have been to just talk, but even so, you don't keep insisting that she pull over then and there ON A HIGHWAY to address the situation.  A highway is a very public and dangerous place.  I don't care what Frances wanted in that moment.  If she, Bill, and Bonnie were all by themselves in a room and wanted to have UFC 250, that's their business.  However, other people were on the highway, and Frances chose to start this chain of events.  I agree with the guy on the 911 call.  They were acting like idiots, but Frances was the idiot who decided to try and handle this then and there.  She's damn lucky her decision to pursue this at that moment didn't lead to the death of an innocent bystander who had NO part in this foolishness.

Like Redhead, I'm not defending Bonnie.  Neither Bill nor she are fantastic people.  Frances should have dealt with her cheating husband years ago, but the time and place to do it are NOT on a highway...moment of passion or not!

• Love 9

Okay, RedheadZombie and Ohmo, you've actually changed my mind about this case.  I was shocked when she was found guilty, but if the prosecutor laid it out like y'all did, I would probably have voted guilty too.  But I really hope that Bonnie gets a good dose of karma.  What a rotten, evil witch.  And, well, I guess Bill paid the ultimate price for his cruelty.

• Love 9

I don't think Bill deserved what happened to him. That said, you have to be a real low down piece of shit to allow your mistress to harass your wife. Wtf.

I was totally on Francis's side as it relates to her anger but I think she should be thanking her lucky stars that she only got two years. 

• Love 16
On 3/18/2016 at 3:22 PM, UsernameFatigue said:

That is a good question Kenz. I googled a bit to see if I could find any information relating to that but didn't. I did find this which is the prosecution's timeline:

Belinda Temple got home from her job as a special education teacher at Katy High School.

The couple's son Evan, 3, was home from day care with a fever. David Temple left his job as a coach at Hastings High School in Alief ISD early that day to be with Evan.

For months before the shooting, David Temple had been having sex with another teacher and had told her days before that he was falling in love.

The illicit couple said their affair could not continue with occasional late-night meetings after teacher happy hours and a stolen New Year's weekend.

After Belinda got home, she was in the walk-in closet in the master bedroom to change clothes when she felt the barrel of the 12-gauge shotgun at the back of her head.

The explosion destroyed the glasses she was wearing as the buckshot exited the right side of her face. Unable to bear looking at the blood, Temple pushed clothes hanging in the closet over the mess, Siegler said.

In a hurry, David Temple staged a burglary, she said, but didn't take anything. He didn't even disconnect the television from the electricity or the cable. He broke out the window of the couple's back door while it was still open and left it open.

He then took Evan, who had either been sleeping or in the backyard, and put him in his truck. In his rush, he didn't put him in a car seat.

The two drove past the park where Temple later told authorities he took Evan. He drove north to the neighborhood where he grew up, went to a grocery store and bought two drinks and cat food. He then took Evan to Home Depot where he didn't buy anything.

The two then returned home where Evan stayed in the garage before David discovered that his back door window was broken.

He took his son to a neighbor's house and went to find his dead wife with, the prosecutor said, no fear that a burglar would also kill him.

A month later, he sent flowers to his mistress Heather Scott for Valentine's Day, testimony showed. Two years after the shooting, he asked her to marry him.

Once again, why would a father who has come home to take care of his child who has a fever a few hours later take him supposedly to a park and to run errands when his wife is at home perfectly able (and one would think both willing and insistant!) that he leave the sick child home with her?

Also Belinda was shot at very close range. What are the chances that a neighbourhood boy who has broken into the house is going to follow Belinda into her closet and shoot her at close range? Not only close but sounds like the gun was right at the back of her head. I wonder if David used something as a silencer? But if it is a neighbourhood kid there not likely she would have her back to him in the first place - but she would to her husband that she has no idea is about to kill her.

I think I am going to read the book Shattered. Apparently there is a history of 'cruelty, domination, infidelity and rage' with regards to David and their marriage. Belinda's parents always thought David killed her and they pushed get an arrest. David also never let them see their grandson after Belinda was murdered. When he was convicted the grandfather hoped they would be allowed to start seeing Evan but I don't know if that ever happened.

So sorry, for one my quote boxes are going crazy, second I'm really late to the party on this one. I was just going to say that the book Shattered has a ton more detail, and there is also a 48 hours mystery on the David temple case called "the guessing game", it's on YouTube.

I have a personal investment in this case, I actually knew the Temples. Not extremely well, I was still in high school when this all occurred. I'm from Houston, when I was in middle school both David and Belinda were teachers at my middle school. Belinda was pregnant with Evan, and taught special ed, but also coached volleyball, basketball, and maybe track I don't remember. I was not great with sports but a lot of my friends did and so when I was around Belinda she was literally one of the nicest people ever. She always encouraged me to play with them, even though I was blatantly awful. I moved on to high school and David also came to teach at the high school I went to, that must be when Belinda moved to a different school. David was a football coach and I was on the dance team so I saw him at games but never interacted with him, Belinda would also come to games and I would say hi, but I doubt she remembered me, she was just that nice that she pretended she did.

I remember waking up the morning after Belinda had been killed, I saw it on the news while I was getting ready, and once I got to school it's all anyone was talking about. I was a jr. and obviously not privy to any personal info on their marriage, but the entire school suspected him from the start. There was a hall that had all the football pictures and someone marked over the ones with David saying things like "baby killer" "he did it". There was a lot of outrage that it took so long to arrest him, and even more outrage that the mistress (I knew of her but never knew her, she taught at the freshman center) had custody of Evan and was not allowing Belinda's family to see him. 

I personally have no doubt that David did it... but that's just me, and my biased opinion.

• Love 10

I know I'm in the minority here but I lay the death of Bill Hall on the feet of Bill Hall. I think his wife accepted he was a serial cheater as long a Bill kept that part of his life separated.   In the case, that wasn't happening.  

What POS would allow his mistress to torure his wife that way.  He did nothing.  And when he was thrown out of he house, he went right back to her, making me wonder if the affair was really over.  

Francis was tortured to the point where she was not even thinking straight. Bill could have prevented all of this. 

Bill didn't deserve to die but Francis didn't deserve life.  The girlfriend should be the one in jail.  She's a vicious whore. 

I know I'm in the minority here but I lay the death of Bill Hall on the feet of Bill Hall. I think his wife accepted he was a serial cheater as long a Bill kept that part of his life separated.   In the case, that wasn't happening.  

What POS would allow his mistress to torure his wife that way.  He did nothing.  And when he was thrown out of he house, he went right back to her, making me wonder if the affair was really over.  

Francis was tortured to the point where she was not even thinking straight. Bill could have prevented all of this. 

Bill didn't deserve to die but Francis didn't deserve life.  The girlfriend should be the one in jail.  She's a vicious whore. 

• Love 8

I thought it was interesting that we got 90% of our information from Francis's side (her daughter, the defense attorneys) with only a few interview snippets with the prosecutors.  And yet I still found myself thinking Francis was responsible and deserved more time, even if I didn't think that she was attempting to kill her husband.

It would have been very easy for Francis to block the texts from Bonnie, but for whatever reason she seemed to want to be a part of the drama.  Either go to the police after the first few texts and say "this person is harassing me" or block her, but don't do neither and continue to complain about it.  

I just wasn't buying what Francis or her defense lawyers were selling.  Francis just wanted to talk, so she aggressively pursues this person at a high rate of speed on a 2-lane road while having her daughter call the mistress to say "oh, by the way, my mom is coming to get you, you jerk!"   And this is one day after she physically assaulted her husband and kicked him out?  To me that's not sudden passion so much as an attempted attack on Bonnie.  If some complete stranger had been struck and killed in that scenario, would the jury have let her go with only two years?  I doubt it.  She had plenty of time to reconsider and think this was not the appropriate way to handle her feelings towards her husband or Bonnie.  It was only going to end badly, and Francis seemed OK with that.

• Love 6

I don't blame Frances for staying in her marriage.  There is no one specific template for what makes a marriage successful, and I don't think it's far-fetched to think that she and Bill had a DADT arrangement.  Warren Buffett, a guy I greatly admire, was basically a bigamist until the death of his first wife.  Warren and Suzy were a good team, even if the notion of romantic love had long since gone away.  

But with Bonnie seeming to take so much pleasure in tormenting her, I can understand how she snapped.  I don't think what she did was justified, and I don't think her conviction was inappropriate, but I agree with the sentence, because it seemed more like manslaughter to me.

19 hours ago, Ohmo said:

The Ashton Sachs case made me think of Nancy Pfister, that awful woman who was killed in Colorado.  Not saying that Ashton was entitled to kill his mother, but I certainly didn't like Audra.

I don't think it's possible for me to have less sympathy for a victim than Nancy Pfister, but yes, there seemed to be some toxic stuff in that family.  However, what he did to his siblings has not a scintilla of justification.

• Love 4

I tuned in for 48 Hours and got the Jerry Springer Show instead!

Frances should get a Razzie Award for her bad acting during the jail interview. Bonnie is runner-up with her local news interview. They're just two responsible, loving women who would never hurt a fly, y'all!

All three of them could have killed innocent motorists during that ridiculous car chase so my sympathy is with no one in this story, and I would have been happy if both women went to jail. And the daughter who joined in the trashy text fight? Yeah, she can have a seat, too. Quite frankly, I believe an asylum is missing three of its lunatics.

Would love to know what they say Bonnie stole from the Hall family.

• Love 10
6 hours ago, starri said:

I don't blame Frances for staying in her marriage.  There is no one specific template for what makes a marriage successful, and I don't think it's far-fetched to think that she and Bill had a DADT arrangement.  Warren Buffett, a guy I greatly admire, was basically a bigamist until the death of his first wife.  Warren and Suzy were a good team, even if the notion of romantic love had long since gone away.  

Sure, there are lots of people who stay in marriages for money, political opportunities, the sake of kids, or whatever the case may be, but if you make that choice, you also have to own the reality.  I don't know if RedheadZombie feels the same way, but I think Frances is free to let whoever she's married to sleep with whomever if that's what she's willing to put up with.  I certainly wouldn't,allow that, but to each her own,  However, what makes me hot (and believing that she deserved a longer sentence) is that she KNOWINGLY put everyone else on that highway in danger...people who had nothing to do with her throwdown with Bonnie.  While I wouldn't have condoned it, if Frances, Bonnie, and Bill wanted to have it out in some gas station parking lot, THAT would have been at least marginally better than what Frances did.  There was no easy way for anyone to get away from Frances and this chase.  The shoulder was not very wide, and I didn't see any exits.  Regardless of how Bill died, Frances committed Voluntary Vehicular Idiocy (I made that up), and I think she should have at least been charged with menacing everyone on that highway.  Her charges were about Bill only, and I think that was unacceptable.

Edited by Ohmo
  • Love 6

I found the Bill Hall case to be laughable.  It was like a bad episode of SVU where they keep you pointed at the whore of a mistress until the end when you find out it was really the wife that did it.

Frances' OTT crying and begging for everyone to believe she was a good person just made me roll my eyes.  Good people lose their shit every day lady.  Just admit you were pushed to the edge and it was an accident.

Although Bonnie...holy fuck.  I'd have clocked that bitch after two text messages.  What an unimaginable bitch with cojones of steel.  

As for Bill...I mean his buddy talking about what a fabulous human being he was just made me snicker.  Yeah...fabulous human being.  Good role model for children.  

• Love 2
On ‎10‎/‎20‎/‎2016 at 2:30 PM, CaughtOnTape said:

Frances' OTT crying and begging for everyone to believe she was a good person just made me roll my eyes.  Good people lose their shit every day lady.  Just admit you were pushed to the edge and it was an accident.

There was a part of her interview that was very telling.  When she spotted the journalist, she immediately began the whole sobbing, heaving, hiccupping mess.  She continued this throughout, until he asked who she thought was at fault.  Long pause ....... Francis doesn't cry, hiccup, or stutter, and she breathes normal for the first time.  Then - simultaneous crying, heaving, stuttering, as she answers it's the mistress's fault.  I think the question caught her off guard, and threw her off script.  She temporarily reverted to normal, before kicking back into scene chewing actor.

• Love 3

U

1 hour ago, RedheadZombie said:

There was a part of her interview that was very telling.  When she spotted the journalist, she immediately began the whole sobbing, heaving, hiccupping mess.  She continued this throughout, until he asked who she thought was at fault.  Long pause ....... Francis doesn't cry, hiccup, or stutter, and she breathes normal for the first time.  Then - simultaneous crying, heaving, stuttering, as she answers it's the mistress's fault.  I think the question caught her off guard, and threw her off script.  She temporarily reverted to normal, before kicking back into scene chewing actor.

So for some reason my DVR didn't record this. But I saw the tail end where she was sobbing and carrying on in the jail. I immediately rolled my eyes and thought what a faker. She's guilty and needs to stay in jail.

• Love 1

I watched on demand. I think all 3 of them are terrible people. I'm shocked that neither woman called 911 and just kept racing down the highway. Who does that?

Frances didn't intentionally kill the man but her actions did kill him. Her actions were reckless and she's responsible. I'm fine with her serving two years.

Edited by Court
  • Love 2

One thing that bothers me is that apparently no one witnessed the event.  For the love of God, several people supposedly alerted the police to the crazies driving, and yet not one person saw what actually happened.  Girlfriend claims he was on his motorcycle between the two cars and she rammed into him, and the wife says she was giving chase and he accidentally sideswiped her without her noticing (eh, whatever) and he flew off the road.  

Edited by Fable
  • Love 2

I was mixed on the Fallis case.  I felt like the husband was volatile and angry, but there was certainly evidence that the wife was unstable and had, at least, been suicidal in the past.   I also really didn't like the wife's parents.  I felt like they were so wedded to their version of events, that regardless of the evidence, they would insist the husband must have killed the wife.     

• Love 3

I felt that Tom was guilty, but there were so many holes in the investigation that I understand how the jury came to their verdict.  It was never mentioned but did any of the investigators do a gunpowder residue test on either of them?  

Edited by Fable
  • Love 4

Don't know if this is the right place to put this but I just read that Amber Hilberling was found dead in her prison cell.  The authorities are saying she committed suicide but her family is saying that it's impossible - she was working on college credits and enjoyed speaking with her son on the phone.

She was the one who pushed her husband Joshua out of the window of their 25 floor apartment. 

16 hours ago, PsychoKlown said:

Don't know if this is the right place to put this but I just read that Amber Hilberling was found dead in her prison cell.  The authorities are saying she committed suicide but her family is saying that it's impossible - she was working on college credits and enjoyed speaking with her son on the phone.

She was the one who pushed her husband Joshua out of the window of their 25 floor apartment. 

Oh I remember that case very well.  Awful.  She - and her grandmother - struck me as so conniving.  Thanks for the update.

On 10/23/2016 at 7:57 PM, txhorns79 said:

I was mixed on the Fallis case.  I felt like the husband was volatile and angry, but there was certainly evidence that the wife was unstable and had, at least, been suicidal in the past.   I also really didn't like the wife's parents.  I felt like they were so wedded to their version of events, that regardless of the evidence, they would insist the husband must have killed the wife.     

Mixed is a good word.  While I don't think Tom is a prize, I was struck by several things: Ashley had stopped taking anti-anxiety medication because she thought she was pregnant.  That same day, she believed that she had suffered a miscarriage, and she did demonstrate impulsive behavior throughout her relationship with Tom.  I've had experience with people who are having mental health issues demonstrating extreme behavior that seems to come quickly out of nowhere.  The suicide scenario doesn't seem as far-fetched to me as it might have even six months ago.  I also think that Tom could have murdered her, but then you have two plausible theories.  Since that is so, I understand the verdict.  Although, the speed of the jury's verdict surprised me.

I also agree about her parents.  Her mom was odd, but after her stepdad bolted our of the room, he really seemed unhinged.  Mom was just generally odd, but step-dad was strange in a disturbing sort of way.

Edited by Ohmo
  • Love 2

I just re-watched the Fallis episode again because I had fallen asleep during part of it.  That was the correct verdict.  What her parents don't understand (or don't want to understand) is that Ashley was on Seraquel and was mixing it with other meds that her therapist didn't know about and alcohol.  Doing that could very well have resulted in her being impulsively suicidal, particularly if there had been an argument about divorce.  Her parents kept saying that she loved life and would never leave her kids.  Both are likely true if her mind is stable and she's not messing with her meds or not telling medical professionals what she's taking, not just had another major stress event (the miscarriage) that day, and not just consumed a whole bunch of alcohol.

Her parents are in denial.  They didn't acknowledge at all that Ashley had struggled with her mental health.  If Seraquel had been prescribed for her, something was happening in the area of mental health, and those types of meds can be very individual.  One person can find great success with a particular medication, while another person can take the same medication at the same dose and react negatively to it.

The prosecution would have bounced me from this jury, and I don't particularly like Tom Fallis, but the verdict makes sense.  The speed of the verdict also makes more sense to me upon re-watch.  That one juror was pretty sure he knew what had happened, but I could see other members the jury also realizing that they had two plausible scenarios and evidence that was unable to rule either one out.

Edited by Ohmo
  • Love 4