Type keyword(s) to search

All Episodes Talk: 48 Hours

• Start Topic

I always find it fascinating when 48 Hours and Dateline cover a case close enough that I remember both vividly. 48 Hours made the defense team almost seem not batshit crazy and actually professional , whereas Dateline showed them when they knowingly were filmed. 48 Hours showed the two cops not just the more flashy one and had interviews with Garcia`s family, I still came to the same conclusion that he was guilty as fuck.

• Love 8

48 Hours made the defense team almost seem not batshit crazy and actually professional , whereas Dateline showed them when they knowingly were filmed. 48 Hours showed the two cops not just the more flashy one and had interviews with Garcia`s family, I still came to the same conclusion that he was guilty as fuck.

The whole thing was just bizarre.  It sounded like the defense team did the best they could with the facts they had.  When they first brought up Garcia, I didn't think it could be him, if only because his "revenge" took years and seemed aimed, at least with the first killing, at the wrong people.  However, after the second killings five years later, I don't see how it could be anyone else besides him.         

• Love 2

I think Garcia is guilty, too. I was surprised that the parents & younger brother thought he was innocent though. Obviously, family members all want to think their kin is not a murderer but I thought the  younger brother seemed like a rational person but he wasn't having any of it. I do have one question that I must have fell asleep murder of the young boy & housekeeper/nanny/caregiver....where were the parents? Garcia didn't intend to kill them, right? They just happen to be home, right? I deleted the show already and I'm totally blanking out the boys parents.

• Love 2

I do have one question that I must have fell asleep murder of the young boy & housekeeper/nanny/caregiver....where were the parents? Garcia didn't intend to kill them, right? They just happen to be home, right? I deleted the show already and I'm totally blanking out the boys parents.

I think they said the father was at work, and the mother was out of town at a conference.  It seemed like the murders must have happened during the mid-afternoon.  They said the father came home, and found the bodies. 

• Love 1
1 minute ago, txhorns79 said:

I think they said the father was at work, and the mother was out of town at a conference.  It seemed like the murders must have happened during the mid-afternoon.  They said the father came home, and found the bodies. 

Thanks. I totally remember that but forgot at the same time, too. LOL!!  I guess they were too grief stricken to discuss it. How crazy is that the other doctors house was semi broken into & he then went to another house. How crazy was it that he all their addresses or at least knew where they lived?! I guess that's another part of the evidence that wasn't really explained. 

• Love 1

How crazy was it that he all their addresses or at least knew where they lived?! I guess that's another part of the evidence that wasn't really explained. 

Would he just be able to use the White Pages or an internet search to look up their home addresses?  I don't know that it would have been all that hard.

• Love 2
3 hours ago, txhorns79 said:

Would he just be able to use the White Pages or an internet search to look up their home addresses?  I don't know that it would have been all that hard.

Yeah, you're right. I think I was trying to make it harder than it should have been. They all worked at the same place so it was pretty easy in retrospect.

It seemed to me that Garcia's mom believed he did it and just didn't want to say it aloud. When the interviewer asked her if she thought he was guilty, I was surprised when she paused and said "I don't know...if he did, he's not the son I knew." Usually loved ones are more adamant and don't hesitate (like the brother). I thought that was interesting, and it made me feel even more sorry for her.

• Love 6

On the Dateline production the defense team was shown (IMHO) as a little off, and I'm not sure how to describe that. Like, they couldn't believe they got the case and were just enjoying the publicity.

After, watching the episode and commenting on it comes another murder.  A man and a woman who were anaesthetists were brutally murdered. Amazingly,  the accused was injured in a shootout with police at the apartment. At least, with this story there is no who dunnit. They caught the guy. The only question is why & if there was any relationship between the suspect & the victims. It's a horrible story that would be on 48 hrs but thankfully they caught the guy. Is the world just crazy or what?!?! I literally was shaking my head like WTF???

I thought 48 hours told the story better in one hour than Dateline did in two.  

I felt bad for Garcia parents.  They seemed like nice ppl who did their best as parents.  

And goes without saying, I feel for the victims' families.  Glad they got justice but it still doesn't bring their loved one back. 

On 5/8/2017 at 11:56 PM, ByaNose said:

After, watching the episode and commenting on it comes another murder.  A man and a woman who were anaesthetists were brutally murdered. Amazingly,  the accused was injured in a shootout with police at the apartment. At least, with this story there is no who dunnit. They caught the guy. The only question is why & if there was any relationship between the suspect & the victims. It's a horrible story that would be on 48 hrs but thankfully they caught the guy. Is the world just crazy or what?!?! I literally was shaking my head like WTF???

The female doctor was an anesthesiologist, but the male doctor was a pain clinic doctor.

Such a sad case.

Goddamn, that "dream mansion" was ugly.

It was definitely one of those designs that seems forward thinking and contemporary at the time it was built, but does not have staying power in the long run. 

• Love 1

I don't believe in God, so I'm not the person who should be making this comment, but if that dude really is a believer, he's going to have a whole hell of a lot to answer for when he's finally face to face with someone a bit more powerful than Maureen.

Which is not to say that I don't believe Maureen is a goddess.

• Love 1
4 hours ago, starri said:

Goddamn, that "dream mansion" was ugly.

Maybe that was considered stylish in the 70s but God . . . I'm totally with you.  It was hideous.  I'd be fighting to leave that thing.

I've read about the Cullen Davis case before and Andrea, the 12 year old, is completely forgotten.  Very sad.  Unbelievable that Cullen Davis not only got away with murder (I believe he did) but he also got away with conspiracy after being recorded by the FBI.  What the hell kind of jury was sitting on that case? 

• Love 7
9 hours ago, psychoticstate said:

Maybe that was considered stylish in the 70s but God . . . I'm totally with you.  It was hideous.  I'd be fighting to leave that thing.

I've read about the Cullen Davis case before and Andrea, the 12 year old, is completely forgotten.  Very sad.  Unbelievable that Cullen Davis not only got away with murder (I believe he did) but he also got away with conspiracy after being recorded by the FBI.  What the hell kind of jury was sitting on that case? 

The only thing I could come up with was that the jury was worried that if they found him guilty, some of them could be next on his hit list. I certainly would not have put it past him, since he got away with murder previously. Also interesting that he apologized to the father of the step daughter he murdered. But he didn't do it. Of course. The worst thing to me is that the POS is still alive and apparently enjoying life at 83. 

• Love 9
10 hours ago, UsernameFatigue said:

The only thing I could come up with was that the jury was worried that if they found him guilty, some of them could be next on his hit list. I certainly would not have put it past him, since he got away with murder previously. Also interesting that he apologized to the father of the step daughter he murdered. But he didn't do it. Of course. The worst thing to me is that the POS is still alive and apparently enjoying life at 83. 

Good point.  He was sketchy and did have a lot of contacts so you never know. 

Regardless, there is a higher court than the state of Texas and eventually Cullen Davis will have to explain his crimes. 

• Love 3
On ‎5‎/‎16‎/‎2017 at 1:06 AM, UsernameFatigue said:

Yeah, one jury I could kind of forgive but two jury's. Yup! They were scared that this nut would kill them, too. It's crazy that he was able to turn his arrest that was on tape the other way around. Damn! That's one good lawyer.

• Love 4
2 hours ago, Court said:

Has anyone been watching 48 Hours NCIS? I like that a couple have been cases I haven't seen before. 

Yes...great to see stories that haven't been done over and over.

• Love 3
(edited)

They reran the Maria Ridulph episode last night and it still annoys me.  Jack McCullough seems like a creep who has no respect for women or boundaries.  I thought his attitude regarding his sister and the woman who said he molested her as a teenager was telling.  Having said that, I think he was right when he essentially said that molestation or rape are one thing, while murder is something very different.   I was shocked that a case based around someone's deathbed confession and an ID made more than fifty years after the fact by someone who was a child at the time made it to trial.  It felt very much like they were trying to punish him for other crimes, rather than the one for which he was accused.  What I wish they had shown was what the eyewitness and sister had to say after the state's attorney concluded that there was no way Jack could have committed the crime.  They were both so certain when the original verdict was announced, and it would have been interesting to see if they could accept that they were wrong.            

Edited by txhorns79
  • Love 3

I have a couple of questions about tonight's episode of 48 Hours NCIS....

First, how the hell was able to serve just 17 years after confessing to a horrific murderer.

Second, was there a full explanation of what happened the newborn immediately after the murder?

• Love 2
10 minutes ago, sinycalone said:

First, how the hell was able to serve just 17 years after confessing to a horrific murderer.

The fact that no one knows where Michael Palaan is freaks me out.  No way he should have gotten out after only 17 years!

• Love 3
2 hours ago, sinycalone said:

I have a couple of questions about tonight's episode of 48 Hours NCIS....

Second, was there a full explanation of what happened the newborn immediately after the murder?

1) "Good behavior"

2) Wifey/accessory who was never charged with murder; then his parents.

2 hours ago, Ohmo said:

The fact that no one knows where Michael Palaan is freaks me out.  No way he should have gotten out after only 17 years!

Just follow the smoke & he'll be there.  That is one scary fuckin' dude.

• Love 2

I had watched the rerun on the Sachs' case, and I realized that after the initial facts of the case were given, 48 Hours essentially spent the rest of the episode vamping.  The household sounded somewhat dysfunctional, but it was pretty clear that no one had any real idea as to why the son brutally murdered his parents, while nearly killing his sister and brother.  They threw a lot of stuff at the wall (violent video games, marijuana use, chaotic household, parents who may or may not have treated their son poorly), but nothing really stuck.  The only thing that gave me pause was that the aunts continued maintaining a relationship with their murderous nephew when everyone else appears to have cut him off.  That made me think that perhaps there was more going on than 48 Hours was suggesting, but otherwise, it was a whole bunch of nothing.     

Conrad Roy & Michelle Cater & homicide by texting. Yeah, Michelle totally egged him on. Conrad had his issues but if she had just let some one know what was going on instead of egging him on and text her girlfriends he might have had a chance. I'm not saying all his problems would have been solved but he could have gotten more help then she was giving him. She was a drama queen with her own issues and I think she thought this was some fantasy/reality show and it was so glamorous. 

• Love 4
On 6/4/2017 at 10:29 AM, txhorns79 said:

They reran the Maria Ridulph episode last night and it still annoys me.  Jack McCullough seems like a creep who has no respect for women or boundaries.  I thought his attitude regarding his sister and the woman who said he molested her as a teenager was telling.  Having said that, I think he was right when he essentially said that molestation or rape are one thing, while murder is something very different.   I was shocked that a case based around someone's deathbed confession and an ID made more than fifty years after the fact by someone who was a child at the time made it to trial.  It felt very much like they were trying to punish him for other crimes, rather than the one for which he was accused.  What I wish they had shown was what the eyewitness and sister had to say after the state's attorney concluded that there was no way Jack could have committed the crime.  They were both so certain when the original verdict was announced, and it would have been interesting to see if they could accept that they were wrong.            

They believe that the state of Illinois got it wrong. Even the molestation story is sketchy. The friend never owned the car that the sister said that he did. 

• Love 1

The thing that I love most in these crime shows is when I see the guilty party get caught and justice is served.  Last nights story (with the couple who were held hostage in their home by a masked intruder, who stabbed them and then killed their young daughter Amy) is the kind that bum me out - an unsolved murder.  I know that bringing the case to light may help find the creep that did it, but the programs that end with the fact that someone is walking around free after this kind of horrible and senseless crime always leaves me feeling angry.  

• Love 4

Last nights story (with the couple who were held hostage in their home by a masked intruder, who stabbed them and then killed their young daughter Amy) is the kind that bum me out - an unsolved murder.  I know that bringing the case to light may help find the creep that did it, but the programs that end with the fact that someone is walking around free after this kind of horrible and senseless crime always leaves me feeling angry.  

I saw that.  It felt like they were kind of flailing around for suspects.  I think the most shocking thing for me was that the parents were able to continue living in that house.  For me, I think the trauma of being nearly murdered and then having my kid murdered there would have been too much. 

• Love 4
4 hours ago, txhorns79 said:

I saw that.  It felt like they were kind of flailing around for suspects.  I think the most shocking thing for me was that the parents were able to continue living in that house.  For me, I think the trauma of being nearly murdered and then having my kid murdered there would have been too much. 

They also hadn't changed any of the furniture. The pink leather couches were dated and ugly in the 90s even more so today.

• Love 1

They also hadn't changed any of the furniture. The pink leather couches were dated and ugly in the 90s even more so today.

I noticed that too.  Maybe they couldn't afford to update the place, or felt that changing anything would somehow let the killer "win."  I don't pretend to know their thought process, as what they went through was horrific, but it was surprising. 

• Love 1
(edited)

I agree about the episode on Who Killed Amy Gellert.  It was absolutely one of the most bizarre stories, I've ever seen.  I wonder why law enforcement though it vital to show just how little they have.  I would be hesitant to put out that much about people being suspects with so little evidence.  It just seemed odd to me.  I sure hope they are leaning in the right direction.  With all the shows where the police charge and convict the wrong person on skimpy evidence, I really hope they don't do that here.  They just seemed to make some broad leaps.  Perhaps, a confession may be the only way to solve it.  Then, I'd wonder if it was truthful.  It's sad when family members are dealing with a using drug addict and they don't realize the dangers it can bring to the home.  

http://www.cbsnews.com/news/amy-gellert-murder-help-solve-a-23-year-old-cold-case/

The story the parents told about their attacker pacing, made me wonder if he was supposed to kill them and that when he saw the lights of an approaching car, that's why he did it then.  He was supposed to do it, before the car returned, as that was his ride.  If it was his returning ride, with no orders to hurt the parents, then why not just run out the door? Why take time to stab them?  It didn't make a lot of sense to me.  To me, it seemed that the parents were the primary and that Amy got stabbed, since she returned home. But, if she couldn't identify the person, with a ski mask, why kill her?  I wonder just how deep they really looked at this from all angles.  It seems they just ended up thinking it was someone upset with Amy. 

Edited by SunnyBeBe
  • Love 2
(edited)

OK, am I the only one who thinks Todd Kohlepp's mother belonged in jail?  'Cause if somebody doesn't stuff a sock in her deeelusional mouth anytime soon, I'm a-gonna have an aneurysm.  Don't even get me started on "Dr" phucking Phil.

Barely past midnight, and 48 Hours has me seriously contemplating the benefits of day drinking against the self inflicted slow suicide by liver damage.  So much for another blood pressure test this week ...

(and I'm only halfways through the episode!)

ETA - OK so now the poor mother is dead and I sound like the bad guy ...

Crapballz.

Edited by walnutqueen
  • Love 9

Thank goodness I have a trustworthy passenger in my Handbasket to Hell.  (Comes with a fully stocked Open Bar, should any other reprobate care to join us).

Far be it for me to denigrate someone else's Mother ... BUT - bitch was approaching Pamela effin' Hupp territory with her lies.

• Love 5
28 minutes ago, biakbiak said:

Yeah dying doesn't change the fact that she was an enabling in denial asshole in life.

And he was a big ole Mama's boy with moobs saggier that these formerly perky ones.  If I should die at the hands of a serial killer, I'd prefer that his body isn't as soft and  saggy as mine.  At least have the decency to be just a little menacing-looking, fer fucks sake.  And do not make me hate your Mother.

• Love 3

I posted this when I first saw the story in November.  Her passing doesn't change my mind one bit.  She was bat shit crazy to compare her "hurt" with that of the multiple victims' families her son destroyed. I know there's no legal basis for it, but I wish she could have been charged with something as well.

"Wow...Todd is not only a monster, but Todd's mom is a monster maker.  Todd did something crazy and has off the charts violent reactions to life's slings and arrows? Gotta be everyone's else's fault for provoking him!  He was upset at mom? Of course he had to claw hammer all his bedroom furniture! I shouldn't have bought pine when he likes maple better! A teenage girl walked by him when he was 15? Of course he had to kidnap and rape her!  The little hussy probably smiled at him once! He had to gun down those 4 people! Don't you know they laughed at him? Of course Todd had to murder that other man for smart mouthing to him!  And what was he supposed to do with smart mouth's girlfriend after she saw him killed? Let her go?!?  Of course that little tattletale had to be chained up in the dark for 2 months! He made her comfortable.  He fed her, brought her food and drink!  Just...wow."

• Love 9

I posted this when I first saw the story in November.  Her passing doesn't change my mind one bit.  She was bat shit crazy to compare her "hurt" with that of the multiple victims' families her son destroyed. I know there's no legal basis for it, but I wish she could have been charged with something as well.

I will say that she didn't really seem to have a good grasp on what had happened, and what he had really done versus what he had told her he had done.   That isn't to say the excuses she was offering were valid, but she honestly seemed confused about what the facts were here. 

• Love 2
(edited)

Todd's mom reminds me of Eric Bechler's mom. She is the one who insisted that her DIL (Peggy) didn't drown but faked her death because of financial problems. She was bat shit crazy but a bitch too. Todd's mom is just straight up bat shit crazy. Both of them raised momma' boys who were self entitled monsters.

Edited by hoosiermom
A tiny bit of clarification
  • Love 6
13 hours ago, walnutqueen said:

OK, am I the only one who thinks Todd Kohlepp's mother belonged in jail?  'Cause if somebody doesn't stuff a sock in her deeelusional mouth anytime soon, I'm a-gonna have an aneurysm.  Don't even get me started on "Dr" phucking Phil.

Barely past midnight, and 48 Hours has me seriously contemplating the benefits of day drinking against the self inflicted slow suicide by liver damage.  So much for another blood pressure test this week ...

(and I'm only halfways through the episode!)

ETA - OK so now the poor mother is dead and I sound like the bad guy ...

Crapballz.

Fuck, no.  Sorry for the profanity but I am enraged.  I know that POS was her son but how dare she say that her son killed because he was angry?  And that her son killed Charlie so he had no choice but to put Kala in the storage container.  What else was he to do?  He kept her comfortable though.  I mean, seriously.  What the ever loving fuck??  

Ted Bundy was a monster?  Yep, I agree.  He was.  But so was Todd Kohlepp.  

I give that CBS interviewer props for speaking calmly to Kohlepp's mother and not throttling her.  No way could I have sat there and let her cry about how her murdering son wasn't terrible without confronting her with the facts.  

I'm actually still watching the episode now but was so pissed I had to post.  I am wondering if she was so damn delusional that with murders and missing persons in her small SC town, she never considered her felon son might have something to do with them?  

• Love 9
1 hour ago, psychoticstate said:

Fuck, no.  Sorry for the profanity but I am enraged.  I know that POS was her son but how dare she say that her son killed because he was angry?  And that her son killed Charlie so he had no choice but to put Kala in the storage container.  What else was he to do?  He kept her comfortable though.  I mean, seriously.  What the ever loving fuck??  

Ted Bundy was a monster?  Yep, I agree.  He was.  But so was Todd Kohlepp.  

I give that CBS interviewer props for speaking calmly to Kohlepp's mother and not throttling her.  No way could I have sat there and let her cry about how her murdering son wasn't terrible without confronting her with the facts.  

I'm actually still watching the episode now but was so pissed I had to post.  I am wondering if she was so damn delusional that with murders and missing persons in her small SC town, she never considered her felon son might have something to do with them?  

Fuckin bitch knew damned well what kind of monster she had spawned, and spent the rest of her days trying to justify her own enabling ass, while covering his considerable one.  

Hope you can afford a new TeeVee, lest you be tempted to throw a punch or a shoe at your screen, like I was when I first watched this shit.

• Love 6

Saw this originally and had forgotten how delusional the mother was. "He isn't like Ted Bundy" is a barometer scale for evil then she really was nuts, too. Crazy story and I'm glad some one survived. I'm  interested to see if they ever found out who the "potential" next victim Holly was. Granted, she might not want to know but I'd be curious to see if she was well known or not. What was their connection? How lucky and thankful she must feel knowing that nut job is locked up. Simply crazy!

• Love 5

My jaw hit the ground when Nutjob Mom said, "He's not a bad person."  Well, excuse me, M'am, can you please give me your definition of a 'bad person' then?  Killing (at least) 7 virtual strangers, and kidnapping & raping (at least) 3 women doesn't put him on the same level as Ted Bundy as far as statistics go.  But Todd's heinous acts sure as fuck don't put him in Mother Theresa's Saint Squad either.

And WTF with Todd's admission to the murders, but he wouldn't cop to the rapes???  He wants to pretend that those poor terrified women consented to being brutalized.  His warped ego can own up to killing people because that's bad-ass and macho.  But he needs to believe he can have consensual sex with the ladies at anytime because he is just oh-so desirable. The delusional DNA runs strong in that family. 

• Love 3

I'll give you Todd's mom was in denial.  But Todd's actions are his own.  She did nothing wrong.  Yeah, she bugged the hell out of me but I saw a woman that could not wrap her head around what her son had done.  She could not let herself believe she raised such a monster because that would make her a horrible mother that raised a monster.  I can't blame her for not wanting to go there.  

He did what he did.  No matter what his mom thinks doesn't lessen anything this killer did.  It doesn't matter how he was raised.  Many men are raised by women like Todd's mom.  They don't kill seven people.  That being said, I can give her a pass. 

• Love 4

So I Googled Todd Kohlhepp because I wanted to be sure that I understood from the program that he was a realtor and I am floored. 

How does a convicted sex offender get a real estate license?  What genius thought it would be smart to give someone the ability to meet with persons in vacant homes who has been convicted of kidnap and rape? 

Beyond that . . . it appears that Todd was violent and troubled from jump.  In nursery school, he was violent toward other children and destroyed their property. He was in counseling at nine and was apparently "explosive" and "preoccupied with sexual content."  (Todd was born in 1971 so this would have been in 1980.  How the hell did a 9 year old in 1980 become preoccupied with sex?  This was before cable, before the internet.)   This was the same year that he began displaying cruelty, including killing, toward animals.  These are all earmarks to being a sexual predator.   

He was apparently sent to a mental hospital in Georgia for over 3 months, where he was an inpatient, because he couldn't get along with other children (not because he was killing, I guess.)  He then was packed up to Arizona to live with his father, where he was taught to collect weapons and how to make bombs and blow things up.  Marvy.  

All this was BEFORE he kidnapped a 14 year old girl (when he was fifteen) by threatening her with a gun, tying her up, taping her mouth and raping her. 

He should NEVER get out.

And no, his mother was not directly responsible for what he did.  But she sure as shit didn't need to participate in an interview in which she rationalized the disgusting things her son did.  It's one thing to say "he's my son, always will be my son" or even the old standby "he was always such a good boy," but quite another to suggest that murder victims had picked on her adult son (thereby forcing him to do what he did) or that her son had no choice but to chain a young woman in a storage container because he'd killed her boyfriend in her presence.  But hey, he treated her well!   

His mother seemed to have completely disassociated herself with the brutal reality of what her son did.  He murdered seven people for no reason.   No reason whatsoever, other than he's a violent, brutal POS.  I don't believe that the young couple from 2015 pulled a knife of him.  Nope.   I don't believe the motorbike placed laughed and made fun of him for not being able to ride the bike he purchased.  I know people that work in that industry.  It happens.  They wouldn't laugh at him; they would simply try to help him ride it or choose another bike. Dipshit couldn't come up with an explanation for why he killed Kala's boyfriend.  But he sure could laugh about it, couldn't he?   Nope.  He killed seven people.  He didn't cut them off in traffic.  He didn't curse at them or flick them off.  He executed them and made sure they would never take another breath.  And before he did that to Megan Leigh (can't remember her last name), he chained her in a storage container, raped her and kept her like that for a week.   How Todd's mother could EVER have come up with any kind of excuse for what he did is sickening.

• Love 10