Type keyword(s) to search

24 - General Discussion

Shannon L.
  • Start Topic

The year 24 went off the air, I got a cool, green canvas messenger bag from my husband with a note that read,

"I don't need this anymore.

--Jack"

I hope I don't have to give it back.

Shannon L. there should be a faint, red pencil in the bottom right of your post. Click that to edit.

Edited by morgankobi
  • Love 2

We're going to end up nicknaming this... 12?

I don't mind the relative shortness; in the (later) seasons, the series did get a little messy as they tried to figure out what the last eight hours would be like while they were doing the middle eight.  Hopefully fewer episodes will help focus things.

• Love 2
(edited)

I can't wait for this show to come back, but I'm sad to hear that it's going to be gone from Netflix soon (actually, tomorrow).

Damn!  My son and I were working our way through it on Netflix because he was too young at the time it was airing.  We got through Season 3, but had to stop because of homework and after school activities.  We were going to start again soon. 

Shannon L. there should be a faint, red pencil in the bottom right of your post. Click that to edit.

Thanks! I've seen it on my other posts, but for some reason it wasn't showing on the original from when I opened the thread.  It's ok, though--thanks to Lisin for fixing it for me. 

Edited by Shannon L.

I was super active on the 24 TWOP forum during Season 5, which was the best season. Teehee.

Anyway I am stoked for the miniseries and also Michelle Fairley being involved is a bonus. Hnnnng I love her. 

Yay. Love Jack. This was the show that we perfected our dvr timing. We'd record and sit down at 8:18 to watch and finish at 9 pm exactly. My son who never watched says it won't be good, but I have faith.

(edited)

A place to discuss particular episodes, arcs and moments from the original 8 seasons of the show. Please remember this isn't a complete catch-all topic -- check out the forum for character topics and other places for show-related talk.

Edited by maraleia
changed information to conform with new guidelines

I have high hopes for this, I'm looking forward to seeing how it turns out.

Once upon a time, I had intentions to do a rewatch of the 8 seasons, but that's gone out the window, and the premiere date is creeping up too quickly. Damn!

I bought the series since people were so excited for the upcoming new season and I was the person who missed it the first go-round. I just started Season 4 today and spent the whole first episode saying "Who are these people??"

I remember that seasonal transition similarly.  Come to think of it, though, that's probably the biggest interseason jolt; the later ones (except maybe from S7 to S8), to my recollection, have a smoother flow even with cast changes.

Can someone remind me of what happened to HBA Curtis? I noticed the name "Curtis Manning" on the Confirmed Kills List that Chief of Staff and No-Goodnik First Son-In-Law Presumptive Mark Boudreau was checking on his laptop. Did Jack actually kill Curtis? I have absolutely no recollection.

(edited)

Jack and Curtis: During the start of season 6,

(Avert your eyes if you haven't gotten to this part yet!)

Jack has to shoot Curtis when Curtis goes a little nuts on seeing Dr. Bashir, er, the character played by Alexander Siddig whose name I don't recall.

Edited by WhoAmIWorkingFor

Yeah, the terrorist guy had killed Curtis' entire squad back in Desert Storm so Curtis was holding him hostage and Jack needed him alive to interrogate/use.

Even though I was there from the beginning it always sort of blows my mind that Chloe wasn't (and that it took me until season 4 to be like "it's not 24 without Chloe, dude").  The show totally became a parody of itself.  And I'm okay with that.

• Love 1

I was super active on the 24 TWOP forum during Season 5, which was the best season. Teehee.

I must say I've never really rewatched 24 before (even though I was a huge fan right from the beginning) but because of the Jack and Audrey thing in the latest season I went back to season 4. And I must say, going by my memory and what I'm watching so far, I think it's the best season is S4. Right now I'm about halfway through and the only scenes I've fast forward through are Erin Driscoll's daughter. The terrorist threat has a lot of legs, the CTU office politics is delicious and even the Jack-Audrey-Paul triangle is not as bad as it might be on paper. 24 is not a character study, I recommend leaving almost 10 years before a rewatch, some scenes are vaguely familiar but most twists are managing to keep me engaged. I'm loving it. I might have to do a mega marathon from season 1, thank God for Netflix (well, at least in the UK we still have the show).

• Love 1

I started a rewatch last winter, not knowing about LAD. I had seen days 1-3 several times but after 4 it was all a blur. I'm now halfway through day 7 and I have to say I find the seasons past 4 much more intriguing now than when it was fresh.

I do remember being pregnant during season 8 and cursing my baby for making me fall asleep before the end of an epihour... LOL

The love story of Jack and Audrey is growing on me now, I remember hating her back then. But she DID go all the way to China to find him and he had nothing to do with her being caught and tortured. And judging by their reactions now... It's so meant to be.

And Boundary, the Erin Driscoll plot? Such. A. Waste. Of. Time. Geez!!! I totally agree.

• Love 1

My favorite seasons are 1, 5 and 7. And I like 2 and 4 okay. 6 and 8 are terrible. Mostly because they started out very promising but fell apart in the end.

(edited)

I've been doing a rewatch of season 5, trying to remember all of the Audrey stuff, though I started in the middle of the season. Audrey's moment after she's been chemically tortured BY CTU when Jack rescues her, she says "I got through it because I knew you'd come for me" makes what happened to her in season 6 a little more poignant . Also, Stana Katic of Castle and Desmond of Lost as like lovers/agents/terrorists. Ha.

My favorite season will always be season 3 I think. It became ALL about Michelle for me. I was like forget Jack, Michelle is awesome. Thus the reason I pretty much quit the show in season 5 though there's like vague recollections when I watch these episodes so I must've half-heartedly watched a few eps of season, not many.

Edited by Aliasscape

I remember Season 5's initial old-character bloodbath turning off a lot of people.  Looking back at it now, though, it's still one of my favorite seasons for having a wide range of interesting characters.  (Even though the mid-season character bloodbath hurt too.)

• Love 1

My favourite season was Season 1, where I actually believed even Jack might die. Yes, they had to recycle the plot for the second half of the day, but at least most of the day actually had a plot rather than just throwing random bullshit at the screen and seeing what stuck. My favourite scene was an early one where he has a quiet meeting with Nina and "Jalapeno Spice" (sorry, I have absolutely no recollection of her real name), saying "You two are the only ones I can trust." It turned out they were both moles!

• Love 1

Nina and "Jalapeno Spice" (sorry, I have absolutely no recollection of her real name)

Hahaha, loving the fact that someone else keeps remembering the characters by their TWoP nicknames as well. Jalapeño Spice was Jamie, wasn't she?

jendolly Jalapeño Spice was Jamie, wasn't she?

Thank you! I knew that despite TWoP going defunct and ten years passing people would still get who I meant, even if I couldn't remember her actual name (granted, I could have checked IMDB, which I'm sure would have it).

You're Welcome John!

Day1 characters had the most sticking nicknames ever. Poor Man's Mena Suvari, Spawn of Kiefer, Soul Patch, Bitchelle... I have been rereading the forums and recaps this year to go with my 24 rewatch and they still make me laugh out loud. Alas, that's no longer an option. *sigh*

The plot twist with Jalapeño being the mole and then killing herself after she got caught, do I remember correctly that we didn't yet know about Nina's moledom at that time or did she actually have something to do with the fact? No, wait, did we find out later that it was Nina who actually killed Jamie? Gosh, my memory is failing me.

Nina was such a complicated villain from start to finish. Very clever writing for that character, methinks.

You are correct - it initially looked like Jamie had slashed her wrists (using the shards of a smashed up mug) in a room without any cameras until Jack reveals there was a Supersecrit hidden camera which revealed Nina had done it (that may even be how they discover Nina was the mole).

(edited)

I just had to break my S4 rewatch to post this:

Edgar: "Buchanan said you are the best analyst we have. And he's right."

Chloe: (rolling her eyes) "I know."

Hee. There's a loving antagonism between those two. When Chloe came back from suspension, she was the first one (maybe the only one) to acknowledge that Edgar was grieving for his mother. But it wasn't long until they were on each other's throats, arguing about who's in charge.

Edited by Boundary
  • Love 2

As I was writing my most recent post on Season 9, I really started to think about how much more I enjoy this series's shorter sections that work in the real-time format and are plausibly self-contained.  That generally appears in the first few hours of seasons, individual events later in seasons, and 24:Redemption.  It's the strange writing glue that is used to bind together those chunks into whole seasons that sometimes makes the mind go.

It is an interesting coincidence that there are several posts about Jamie Ferrell and I went to this thread to suggest that her (unseen) son Kyle would now be a young man (Live Another Day being set 16-17 years after Day 1).  Any thoughts on how Kyle could be used in a later season?

DirecTV's Audience Network started running 24 (hopefully in its entirety) a few weeks ago, 3 episodes per week (Tue/Wed/Thu.) Day 2 just started this week. I've been DVRing them and re-watching for the first time since they originally aired. I'm surprised by how much I had forgotten. With the exception of big things I know are coming, it's very much like I'm watching it (again) for the first time. Still so, so much crazy-ass fun. Posting some random observations for my own amusement...

--I'd forgotten how much I absolutely loved George Mason. Xander Berkeley rocked the shit out of that role. George and Mike Novick were my favorite characters in the early days, and on re-watch, they still are.

--Can't wait for Sexy Evil Nina to surface.

--Bearded Jack(!) looked even more badass/deadly than usual in S2 E1. I had a sad when he shaved. Bearded George was a good choice as well. I'm also grateful that, unlike Day 1, Kiefer no longer looks like he just stepped off the set of The Lost Boys.

--Speaking of Day 1, man, for as much crap as Kim (rightfully) took/takes for being so incredibly annoying, I don't think she held/holds a candle to Teri on the annoyance scale. I don't know if anybody comes lose to Teri. Ugh. Thanks, Nina!

--Had forgotten that on Day 2, Eric Balfour was out and Sara Gilbert was in. Odd choice.

--Holy guest/recurring HITG on Day 2! Most of whom I wasn't familiar with at the time, but came to love later, and now my mind is being blown regularly on re-watch as they appear. Billy Burke! Tracy Middendorf! Michelle Forbes! John freakin' Terry! Alan freakin' Dale! Daniel Dae Kim! Kevin Dillon!

Anyway, after all these years, I still just can't get enough of this damn show. I might have to (finally) get the DVDs, because it has reeled me right back in and one L.A.D. + three from the early days per week is juuuust enough to make me all twitchy that there isn't just a little bit more. Grrrr. Dammit, Chloe! (Err... Paula!)

• Love 2

I'm surprised by how much I had forgotten. With the exception of big things I know are coming, it's very much like I'm watching it (again) for the first time. Still so, so much crazy-ass fun. 

I mentioned that I inadvertently got into rewatching S4, it was exactly like you've said, except for the big things I enjoyed it like it was for the first time. I got so much into it I immediately went into S5 and now I'm well into S6 (I really need to go back to S1 to S3). I have one question though: where in hell do they get these Vice Presidents from? They sit in the big chair and suddenly everything changes. It's like the President(s) didn't even vet them!!!

• Love 1

Here's a question that has occurred to me as I reach the end of my selective re-watch of this whole series. Disclaimer: I didn't rewatch most of Day 6, since I remembered disliking so much of it, but I do recall most of the scene where Jack has to shoot Curtis to stop him from killing that one guy. However, in Day 7 (which I did rewatch all of), instead of shooting to kill Tony, Jack shoots him in the hand and then in the shoulder to keep him from killing Alan Wilson. And this was while Jack was dying of a pathogen that causes seizures and stuff, *and* with the full knowledge of Tony's betrayal, and after Tony tried to use Jack to blow up Wilson.

So, what are we supposed to think? Was Curtis just not as much of a fan favorite as Tony? (Which would make me sad. Roger Cross is awesome.) Or is this just another example of why Day 6 was kind of terrible?

• Love 1
(edited)

Arguably, Jack had just been let out of a Chinese prison and what's-his-face had been beating him up for the last couple of hours (Can't remember villain's name, yeah, Season 6 wasn't that much fun for me either), so you could say that Jack might have been a little off.  Also, if I recall correctly, Curtis was mostly behind Dr. Bashir, so Jack didn't have very good angles for anything but the head/neck (if he'd shot Curtis in the hand, the bullet would have hit Dr. Bashir also).

But those are just the No-Prize answers.  The writing answer is probably that they just needed to give Jack a reason to say he's going to retire... but then the nuke goes off anyway and Jack unretires, so what was the point of that again?

And I did like Curtis too, particularly for punching Mandy in the face without any ceremony.

Edited by WhoAmIWorkingFor
  • Love 1

Those all seem like probable answers, yeah. Thanks. :)

And I did like Curtis too, particularly for punching Mandy in the face without any ceremony.

Indeed. That was enjoyable.

(edited)

Ahhh Mandy. I might be the only one that liked seeing her on the show. She didn't annoy me as much as, say, Nina or Dana Walsh and she was so unrepentantly bad I didn't have to go through the guessing game that others made me endure.

Edited by Boundary
... I have been rereading the forums and recaps this year to go with my 24 rewatch and they still make me laugh out loud

I've been reading the recaps on the way to work and trying not to burst out laughing. M. Giant was great.

Actually, I stopped watching the show after season 4 because I just got sick of all the torture and violence, but came back to it to catch up when I heard about season 9. So it was all new to me - dead Curtis, not-dead evil Tony, Mama Chloe...I wasn't crazy about the later seasons (8 in particular) but it was nice to see some of the old gang. And the man-purse.

• Love 1

Since there's no related section, I just wanted to mention that on Tuesday they are releasing a prequel book to 24 Live Another Day featuring what happened to Jack immediately after Day 8.

My favorite seasons were 1, 2, and 7.

Least favorites would be 3 and 6. Wasn't too crazy about 5, either.

I might be the only one that liked seeing her on the show

I always thought Mandy was a popular character. I know I liked her.

• Love 1