Type keyword(s) to search

S32.E08: The Jocks vs. The Pretty People

• Start Topic

It's not me, it's TVGuide!

Oh, don't mind me - that was just my smartass gene kicking in.  It has one hell of a reflex.  ;>

Many many thanks for doing an extremely thankless job!!!  You're a goddess.

Lantern7 I thought I heard that Probst said "Aubry takes a dump!"  But maybe he said dunk?   : /

Any other season but this one, I'd be inclined to agree.

God, Kyle Jason's hair looks so stupid.

And here we have the "sympathy for the Dad with an autistic child" maneuver.  Guh.

Eek, shrunken heads!

Tai is probably not helping himself by pissing Cydney off at the challenge.

Why do they keep showing shots of that damn chicken?

"Like Cochran's dream girl".  LOL

Tai, you talk too much.

Why did Scot and Kyle Jason vote for Aubry?  i thought Debbie was the target?

• Love 3

I suspect Tai is very much for real, and it wasn't necessarily dumb.

Tai tells EVERYBODY at tribal council "he was told" about the super idol.

So - who will EVERYBODY ELSE think told Tai?

Only about two options, really.

And I doubt it's coincidence one of those two names is the name Tai wrote down tonight.

Of course, I could be wrong.

In which case Tai is an idiot.

I think this was definitely a ploy on Tai's part.  Remember, the original plan was the three Brawns voting for Aubry and the four Beauties going for Debbie, so all one Beauty had to do was flip to the other three Brains and someone else goes home.  I wonder if Tai either figured the three Brains would all vote for Jason and he's quietly flip on the downlow, or if he approached with them with the flip idea but the Brains decided to go with Michele/Julia/Cydney to oust Nick.  For all know, maybe Debbie and Aubry were never actually in real danger at all --- they simply had to choose which of Nick or Jason to vote out, and maybe Nick was the pick because Cydney told him about Jason's idol or that Debbie/Aubry saw more value in joining a women's alliance now.

Tai has also saved himself at least a couple more rounds since I'm sure the first question most of the group will have for him back at camp is "WTF is up with this super-idol???"  Since presumably nobody else knows the rules except for Scot and Jason (and they're not talking), Tai could imply that HE has a super-idol to and maybe even get himself a more or less free pass until the F5 or F4.

Between all this and his boss performance in the immunity challenge, great episode for Tai tonight!

• Love 12

I think it is wonderful to see someone be that openly affectionate with others. 

I think Peachy probably called his lawyer ASAP and had a restraining order on file before they ever set foot back Stateside.

• Love 1
(edited)

(Like many women) I've had my share of unwanted sexual attention, and personally how I gauge things is from people's reactions.  Not that I would ever put the onus on people who are experiencing stuff they don't like to "ACT OUT", but so far I don't really see people uncomfortable with Tai's affection.  YES, Caleb made that extremely weirded out face when Tai went in for the kiss.  That's my only "I'm bothered by this" evidence I've seen so far.

Meanwhile, the looks on Nick's face have ranged from "Wow, I'm a bit weirded out" to "I am extremely uncomfortable" when Debbie would come on to him.  (I wondered if she even ENJOYED knocking him off balance.)   THAT made me uncomfortable, because to me, Nick's negative reaction to Debbie's behaviour was plain on Nick's face.  I've had people harass me and then others pull me aside and say, I could see how uncomfortable you were when that happened.  Meanwhile, a close friend of mine performing the same actions towards me might NOT make me uncomfortable at all, because we might laugh and play fight with each other and it's reciprocal.

This is a long way to say, I don't get the uproar over Tai's actions when I haven't seen contestants act in an uproar over his behaviour myself.  I find it interesting that I've seen so many "Tai is CREEPY" posts yet also, "I hope that Debbie gets to trap Nick alone on a deserted island, because that would be HILARIOUS" posts.

Edited by Ms Blue Jay
  • Love 14

That was a delicious blindside.

I really like Debbie's speaking voice. Looks like Cydney initiated the blindside. Good for her. But why do I feel she will work again with Scott and Jason soon.

Tai's chants worked!

• Love 7

One the more satisfying blindsides.  Douchey to the last word.  'If I had made my move first I wouldn't be here.'  Uh, yes you would because as soon as you started executing your genius move you would have been undone by your complete lack of a clue.  Now, how do we get out Lurch and Lil Debbietats?

I'm thinking that was intentional. Tai is genius!

Interesting.  So he really wanted to get rid of one of the jocksintheirownminds but didn't want the blowback?  Incredibly devious if true.  I bet it somehow ties into that chicken.

• Love 7

One thing I loved about this episode is that it seems as if the idea of a women's alliance hadn't even occurred (or at least wasn't being taken seriously) by any of the women until the guys brought it up; and in doing so, made it clear that a guys alliance already existed. Of course that super duper idol may end up saving the guys anyway.  This would be unfortunate since I'm finding most of the women to be much less objectionable than most of the guys.

• Love 6

Oh tai. Why did you blab about the superidol?

Maybe I'm wrong, but partly because I like Tai I'm thinking it's because this whole "superidol" thing didn't really benefit him.  He's playing a longer game, or at least I hope he is.

• Love 4
(edited)

Oh, that was just YUMMY FINE!!!

I would love to see someone put together a montage of the confident smiles draaaaining off the faces at Tribal Council this season.

And Cydney made The Big Move!  Honestly, I couldn't tell what she was on about when she was mad at Nick about. . . something or other.  Checking with Julia regarding a women's alliance instead of asking her (Cydney)?  Well, whatever motivated her, I was thrilled with the results.

(I was sure it was going to be one of those editing herrings that turns out to be a swing and a miss.  This was so much better.)

Edited by candall
  • Love 11

Satisfying episode.  Nice to see Nick kicked.

But the Mystery of Tai deepens. 

I don't think he planned to give away the super-idol info.  I think it was more he actually thought everyone knew by now.  And since those tribal councils last 2 to 4 hours I could see him spacing out and starting to spill the beans because he seems too innocent to be that scheming.  And he tried to cover it up when he realized what effect it was having.  Not too well but it was funny the way he tried.

But why he voted for Jason is beyond me ... totally.  He seems off on his own completely since he neither voted with the original plan nor with the new plan.  He was the one that explained to the camera about the original plan so we know he was set with that at the beginning.  What changed things up? 

Scott/Jason seemed not to know of the new Cyndy plan.  If Tai didn't know about it either why didn't he stick with the original plan like they did?  If the women told him of the Nick plan then why didn't he cast a vote for Nick since he has been shown to have no real ties to him and he shows he is down with the new power alliance.  Why he tossed a random vote at Jason in particular since Jason wasn't targeted by anyone else on the whole tribe period is totally Twilight Zone to me.  Hopefully someone here will see some tweet on that vote and will pass it on because that was a real head scratcher.

Congrats to him on wining the immunity idol though he may have to keep doing it since he seems not to be allied with anyone right now other than the chicken.

• Love 12

The only downside to having smug assholes voted out is that the voters usually graduate to become smug assholes themselves. I'm really hoping that won't happen, but based on what I've seen from Debbie (and maybe Stars & Stripes Cydney) so far, it seems like a lock to happen.

I really enjoyed the reward challenge. The losing team just couldn't hold those poles still, so it didn't matter who they put up in the air.

I can't figure out Julia. She's so chilled out about everything and just seems happy to be there. I like it, but I also dislike it. Like why is she dropping out of an endurance challenge 5 seconds too soon? That's just dumb, and it makes it tough to cheer for her.

• Love 2

I actually find it harder to root for someone who arrogantly drops out of challenge for food rather than someone who drops out because the pain was too much for her (even though if she lasted another 10 seconds she would  have gotten food).

• Love 11

Such a satisfying boot,  Nick was such an arrogant tool.  At least he recognised in his parting words that he was arrogant.

I am confused as to why Tai voted for Kyle.  He was supposedly "in" with the Brawn, and clearly nobody told him about the move to get Nick out.  If they find out it was him, he is in trouble as he is not in the women's alliance and he won't be with Scot/Kyle anymore either.

I think they were afraid of another idol, they knew that Neal supposedly had one and weren't sure if he gave it away before he left.  So they had a 7 to 3 numbers advantage and were splitting the vote.  I'm assuming that 4 were to vote for one and 3 were to vote for the other.

• Love 1

I am confused as to why Tai voted for Kyle.  He was supposedly "in" with the Brawn, and clearly nobody told him about the move to get Nick out.  If they find out it was him, he is in trouble as he is not in the women's alliance and he won't be with Scot/Kyle anymore either.

If Tai figures this out, he could claim that he was the Debbie vote (as planned for the Beauties) and Nick was the one voting for Jason.  Then again, I'm not sure why Tai would necessarily want to alienate Debbie at this point since she's suddenly perhaps in the majority alliance.

• Love 2

I thought Nick was pretty arrogant, but his was a nice Ponderosa episode which makes me think that he might be saying this stuff only half-seriously. Kind of reminds me of Reynold.

• Love 5
(edited)

When Cupcake, Nick, and Debbie gave their vote-quotes tonight, I said out loud to nobody, "Man I love Survivor."  Great fun.  I don't know if I think this was a good move for Cydney, or Michele and Julia; I have to ponder it.  Can't do that right now because it's bedtime.  I'm pretty sure no amount of pondering will lead me to understand what in the hell Tai is doing in this game, his every move is mystifying to me!  Really this tribal was a pretty amazing showcase of women being awesome and men being terrible at the game.  Aubry and Debbie played their roles to perfection--jumping on that super-idol reveal thing even though they knew they were not really on the chopping block is impressive, IMO.  No way Cupcake gets suspicious and uses his idol when they're playing that hard like people who are desperate for some crack to appear.  Whereas the men are just all "WELL WE'RE WINNING TONIGHT HAHAHA SORRY BUT THAT'S HOW IT IS" and Tai doing whatever the hell Tai was doing.

Curious to know if Cupcake and the Benchwarmer declaring they want to keep the men's numbers up means they were obsessed with the men's alliance and terrible perfidious flippers the way it meant that when Monica was talking about keeping the women's numbers up last season...

I'll have more later, but for now, I'll just say that I think Cydney might be overtaking Brenda-in-Nicaragua for most beautiful Survivor ever in my mind.  Kelley Wentworth is probably a lock to win Miss Survivor this year which is cool but I will vote for Cydney unless she does something terrible before the season is over.

Edited by KimberStormer
  • Love 5

That was cool! I was hoping for Jason to get the boot, but this absolutely works!

I'm glad Julia and Michelle didn't mess the vote up like I was afraid was going to happen.

I thought Julia for sure was gonna mess it up VB. Glad it worked out. Nick new he messed up too

• Love 3

Yeah! I knew I had faith in my girl Cydney for a reason! What a great thing to do, finally be the one who can actually create and keep an all woman's alliance WHILE sitting pretty in your own alliance already! I loved it, this episode made me forgive all the boredom and predictability of this season. I hope this all woman's alliance goes a long way and a woman finally wins.

• Love 11

My thoughts on Tai. It seems like the tattoo boys don't really include Tai in their gameplay. They are using him for his idol and,well, because he's good fun. They also made the mistake of not including Cydney. Seems they were after a male trio alliance with Nick. I think Tai heard chatter of the ladies making a play on the boys and I am guessing he does NOT like Jason (who could like that D bag). Maybe Tai wasn't privy to the exact target of the ladies. Or maybe Tai didn't want to be a vote for Nick but also didn't want to give another vote to Aubry or Debbie in case they had some tie. I think he leaked the idol talk to push the girls to go with their plan to oust a boy. Then he faked playing a ditsy innocent that nobody could be mad it. In the IC he was brilliant too in how he talked to Cydney. I think he worked her mentally. I could be wrong and maybe I'm seeing something that's not there. But I think Tai is brilliant...should be on brain tribe.

• Love 10

Yes! Yes! Yes! I was so nervous when this episode began that we were just going to have very predictable outcomes for the next three weeks - Brains being taken out by the other tribes. It was very pleasant to see Robot Nick go home. Although, I will kind of miss snarking on his sociopathic ways. 

But there's still Debbie, and lauding Cydney and Tai for being more impressive than the marathoners see saw running across the Sahara desert....or whatever she was going on about this week. 

Anyhow, back to the blindside. Good on Cydney for pulling that off. At first I thought she was being a bit paranoid when she freaked out just because Nick and Julia were talking privately. But I think it must have just dawned on her, the bigger picture. The guys are more loyal to each other, and they each have their little girl pawns that just do what they say (Tai maybe included in this). And she wasn't having it. Good for her. Because I think she was probably right. Given what we've seen of Scot and Jason's mentalities, I can see them sticking with Nick longer than they'd stick with her. 

I do wonder when Julia and/or Michele got on board. I think Tai might have sealed the deal with his Super Idol talk at Tribal. And who DID vote for Jason? I had to buy this episode this morning on Amazon because my son accidentally stopped recording of the show only 4 minutes in, and I didn't see the vote reveal at the end. 

Other thoughts about the episode:

Jason talking about his autistic daughter was nice and all. I felt that it was genuine. But then you look at it in light of him saying shit like, "Shoving geeks in lockers", and you have to wonder who is the real Jason? Because, I'm sorry to say, Autistic kids often get treated as the "geeks" and "nerds" and are bullied in school. So how does he think it's okay to joke about jocks pushing around the nerdier types of people? 

That reward challenge was doomed from the start. 

I loved Cydney's ingenious food gathering hat. Clearly she has learned from their experiences with heat stroke/dehydration. I also loved her faces during Nick's overconfident talk during the IC. 

• Love 11

The thing is that Cydney could tell from the way that Scott, Nick and Jason were acting/talking that they pretty much figured that they are calling all the shots. She's not stupid and a 7 person alliance is too big to say "We'll all battle it out after we get these others out". It's too uneven, the people in power can then just pick off the others. She's much better off going with the girls but seriously I don't think their all going to stick together in the end unfortunately. 

• Love 5

And who DID vote for Jason? I had to buy this episode this morning on Amazon because my son accidentally stopped recording of the show only 4 minutes in, and I didn't see the vote reveal at the end. 

Tai did.

• Love 1

The boys underestimated Cydney. She sees them bring in Nick and other assorted beauties to the pre-existing alliance, and she's still chill. But let them send Nick out on a fishing expedition about the women getting together, and she is a little pissed.

She saw him taking her spot with douchebag 1 and douchebag 2. They can deny to her that's what it was but she's not stupid. If they're worried about the girls it's because they are already seeing themselves as a guy group.

Plus, I think she has a soft spot for Debbie. I can't see it lasting, this girl power alliance, but it was cool to watch them take out Nick.

• Love 12

Nick - I want to make sure you didn't try to form a girls alliance

Cydney (two feet away) - Well we didn't BEFORE but......

Paranoia+Lack of self awareness+inability to shut up = Bye Nick

Jason needs to go, sorry for his daughter but it doesn't excuse the dick behavior that's more often displayed.  Tai or Cydney for the win although a a few of the other under the radar folks would be OK as long as Joe or Scott don't win either and preferable aren't even in the final.

Debbie just can't stop lecturing on things she knows nothing about; although I think she honestly believes she knows it all - no your ice cream reward is not giving you  awesome glucose energy to store for tomorrows challenge, that much sugar with no carbs (especially complex carbs) to balance it gives you nothing but a spike and crash.

When this season is over, or after she's voted out I really want to see a video of all the occupations the editors tagged on each of her talking heads, catching those as they pop up has become one of the more entertaining parts of each episode.

• Love 13
(edited)

I feel like Aubrey did exactly what we often say the intended 'victim' should do on the day when she's planning a blindside- act woebegone and fatalistic.

Especially at tribal council when they should be all "Well, It's probably me, and I tried really hard! to infiltrate the dominant alliance but they're all super-tight and I couldn't get anyone to flip so I'm prepared to see my name written down, sadface sadface sadface."

There must be a lot of extra footage that explains why Joe voted for Nickbot and Tai for firstnameKylelastnameJason.

Occasionally, in the firelight of Tribal Council, Debbie looks absolutely stunning.  What striking features she has. 

Edited by Gweilo
  • Love 12

I think Tai intentionally talked about the super idol at TC.  Giving all the details about how it could be paired with another idol and used after the vote - I felt like he wanted everyone to know it was out there.  That knowledge puts everyone into a different level of how to strategize from here on out.  Debbie jumped on it right away by telling Julia, "If you didn't know about this and everyone else in your alliance did, that means you're at the bottom of your alliance."  BAM - Julia's in with the girls, even if she wasn't before.

And then Tai immediately votes for Jason . . . meaning Jason will be in full-on paranoia mode when they get back to camp . . . and he'll be ruining future chances of an alliance.

I'm thinking innocent-looking Mr. Tai may yet be a force to be reckoned with.  

• Love 14

Cydney! Cheers rang out at chez Mostly. And if Jason and Scot are "gunning" for anyone now, well, so what? Their alliance is over, so is their time at the top of the heap. Buh bye. Watching the grin melt off Nick's face was everything.

I think Tai is a brilliant strategic player. He's all sunshine and hugs and harmless sweetness on the outside, but stone cold, cunning, analytical player inside. He came in with a persona and is working it for all its worth. That is my hope.

Jeff Probst really gives me the creeps. His gleeful commentary during the challenge was sickening. "there will be pain. Great pain!" "I see you twitching, with the exquisite, excruciating PAIN you are feeling!" "the hot sun is beating down, down, down, burning your skin and causing your tongue to shrivel....." Jesus, was he a particularly enthusiastic Spanish inquisitor in a previous life? I haven't watched for several years, and I never liked Jeff, but now he is beyond creepy, he makes me actively uncomfortable.

• Love 15

There was a split vote to flush out the idol - Beauty voting for Debbie, Brawn for Aubry.  Then, if Debbie plays an idol Brawn and Beauty vote for Aubry on the revote.

Tai was impressive during the Immunity Challenge.  He looked like he would be first out and winds up outlasting everyone.  Cydney impressed me by getting involved in strategy - she read the signs that she was in the bottom of her alliance of 7 and did something about it.  Glad Michelle and Julie realized where they sat as well.

Tai's vote for Kyle was interesting, I'm still trying to figure out if his babbling about the super idol was clever or stupid.  It's such a fine line.

• Love 5

I love this board because last night I was wondering if my precious Tai had lost his mind, but after reading some of these comments, I get it. He is far too self actualized to not have a very good reason for blowing up the secret of the super idol.

I couldn't contain my excitement as the votes were revealed. Nick went from "ha ha, someone snuck a vote in there for me! How cute" and morphed into "wait, what?"

Cyd is stunning. I never found her attractive before but last night, from one scene to the next, I was enamored with her. Getting away from those douches looks great on her.

• Love 10
(edited)

Trying to gain sympathy for the bully bros? Hopefully that isn't a bad sign. I'd hate to see their edit suddenly go good, because that might mean one of them actually wins (couldn't be...I refuse to believe it).

I saw that slightly differently, especially since it came with a confessional afterwards from Cydney that was like "Wow, now that I know you have a sympathetic story, you cannot make the final." I wish Scot was followed by a similar confessional. To me, it reinforced Jeremy's brilliance of strategy last year: the non-personal personal strategy:

Step 1: Keep your mouth shut about any potentially sympathy-inducing parts of your personal story

Step 2: Drop it like a bomb at final tribal council

Step 3: Profit.

I hope Debbie and Cydney's seemingly personal dislike for Nick did not quash what would've potentially been a bigger move: "Jason" or Scot. Doesn't anyone (everyone?) see they are joined at the hip, coming from the same tribe and all? Take out one and significantly weaken the other. Getting rid of Nick just means they have one less number. Tai had the right idea in writing down "Jason."

Go, "Girls" + Joe + Tai (hopefully) !

Edited by Eolivet
  • Love 12
Cupcake on autism:  "It's more popular than people think."

It's more *POPULAR* than people think?!!  It's a developmental disorder, not Maple Walnut ice cream.

LOL, I'm assuming he meant "prevalent" or something like that. Maybe he should have spent more time in class, instead of shoving geeks in lockers.

SO glad Khaleesi, and her amazing insights, is back!

• Love 12
(edited)

Why do I have a bad feeling that Scott is winning this whole thing.

I felt this way after that ep, too. His edit is giving me a Mike in WA vibe. Sigh.

I ... don't like Tai. I want to and I thought I did, but I found him straight-up insufferable in this ep. Especially at the IC. SO annoying. Plus, I think he's a really terrible player. But, if you guys are right and he's actually a manipulative genius then I might like him. I can't see it though.

I loved seeing Nick get blindsided, even though I actually liked him more than every other man and some of the women. But it was just so fun!

I loved Cydney's reactions because they were so petty. Like she 100% made this move because she was pissed Nick was replacing her as Scot/Jason's third. And for that reason I'm like 90% sure she'll go right back to them now. As will Julia imo since for some inexplicable reason she loves those two dicks. Michele will probably follow because she'll have no choice. Basically imo there's no way this women's alliance will last even one more vote.

When Cyndey was questioning the three guys they looked SO scared. It was hilarious! Scot in particular looked sacred shitless. While Nick and Jason were arrogantly trying to pretend like Cydeny was totally wrong, Scot said nothing and actually pointed to the other two as if to say, 'They did it!" I was literally loling.

Debbie and Aubry played that TC beautifully. I didn't expect Debbie to be able to be that subtle. I expected it from Aubry, but it was still awesome to watch. Aubry is probably the only person left that I'm actually rooting for.

It's eps like this one that make me really wish they'd put some unedited footage on the website instead of just the short extra confessionals clips. I would love to know how Joe was brought in, why Tai voted for Jason, whether Tai's super idol talk was a gaffe or strategy. Hopefully we get some more info in the next ep.

Edited by peachmangosteen
  • Love 13

I have sympathy for Jason having a child with autism but I question him saying every cent he makes goes to the hospital. I know those tattoos he has costs a lot of money.

Speaking of which, we spent some time trying to figure out the left blob on his back tat and finally settled on a pug riding an octopus, bareback.

• Love 13

I think Cydney would have flushed Jason/Kyle's idol rather than go for Nick except for the fact that it would have left too many Beauties in power. Take out Scott or Jason as vile as they are and you essentially give all the power to Nick/Julia/Michelle because she had to figure that they would band back together. By taking out Nick she knocks out one of the guys but not one that at least has some chance of swinging back towards her camp rather than definitely towards another. 

• Love 9

I can't tell if Tai is brilliant or if he's Chauncey Gardiner. Either way, he's still my favorite and the only one I'm actively rooting for to win.

People wish for a women's alliance every season and it always kind of off-putting to me because I think it's reductive that a group of women should necessarily band together, but with this particular group of women, I'm all for it. Jason, Scot, and Nick would have used Cydney, Michele, and Julia for their votes against the Brains, used Tai to vote the women out, and left us with an all-douche F3. I would have rather seen Jason and his pigtails go, but maybe it's better to watch him steam in his own impotence for a while. Assuming the women's alliance can hold together that is, which I think it probably won't for the reasons @peachmangosteen gave.

I loved Cydney's reactions because they were so petty. Like she 100% made this move because she was pissed Nick was replacing her as Scot/Jason's third. And for that reason I'm like 90% sure she'll go right back to them now. As will Julia imo since for some inexplicable reason she loves those two dicks. Michele will probably follow because she'll have no choice. Basically imo there's no way this women's alliance will last even one more vote.

Yep.

Just before the commercial break I saw Cupcake and wondered why he had a tattoo of Joe's face on his stomach. Then he realized Joe was sitting right in front of him.

Hee. I thought the same thing. I was marveling at how hideous his stomach tattoo was and then realized it was Joe's actual face.

I feel like Aubrey did exactly what we often say the intended 'victim' should do on the day when she's planning a blindside- act woebegone and fatalistic.

I can't give her too much credit because that's how she always acts. I've never seen anyone appear to be having a worse time on this show and that includes Panama's Bruce Kanegai, felled by constipation.

• Love 7

Edited to add: I miss the old opening, when they identified all the castaways.  I'm still not entirely sure of everyone's names, and we're already past the merge.  How sad is that?

Amen to that. It brings back memories like near the end when the horns come in I can still see the bugs swarming around poor Colleen's head.

• Love 4

Ms Blue Jay, I'm loving everything you're saying this week.

Also, Nick's gigantic smile reminds me of a celebrity, but who?

It's Phil Dunphy from "Modern Family," I tell you.

I'm totally convinced that Lantern 7 is onto something with the theory that Tai's comments at Tribal were calculated for effect.  I was thinking Tai screwed up, but I like this idea better.

Wondering: Now that everybody knows that Neal left without passing on his idol, don't they figure that there's now another idol in the game, hidden around camp?  Isn't that how it always works?  How come nobody's searching?

• Love 3