Type keyword(s) to search

S03.E15: Spacetime

• Start Topic

(edited)

The thing is, Marvel loves New York City for some reason. Almost all of their big main characters are from New York City and/or they would set their comic stories in and around the city. This is pretty much the case in the comics where almost everything that happens on Earth, happens in NYC and in the MCU, it's no different. 

Edited by TVSpectator

I thought Ward (NotWard?) looked ridiculous. I am not just talking just about the long matrixlike coat but also that slow mo of him in the coat that was added. Cheese whiz!

To me it looked like something from General Hospital's Tracy Quatermaine's closet. She wears a lot of those stylized kimono-type dresses.

• Love 4

The thing is, Marvel loves New York City for some reason. Almost all of their big main characters are from New York City and/or they would set their comic stories in and around the city. This is pretty much the case in the comics where almost everything that happens on Earth, happens in NYC and in the MCU, it's no different. 

True enough, but Dyker isn't Manhattan. It's a  wealthy, mostly Italian neighborhood in South Brooklyn (between Bensonhurst and Bay Ridge). And it's not trendy like WIlliamsburg or Greenpoint, so unless you're from the general area, you wouldn't know it. I just thought it was funny :)

The writers and artists were based in New York City. To base their characters in different locations meant running the risk of fans all over nit picking their lack of real knowledge of the settings
(edited)

The writers and artists were based in New York City. To base their characters in different locations meant running the risk of fans all over nit picking their lack of real knowledge of the settings

Yeah I do know that (Stan Lee was born and raised in NYC) but the Marvel fanboys would tell you that this was done to make things more realistic. Also here is an interesting fact, the co-creator of Spider-Man was born and raised in my hometown, in PA, but he did leave for NYC.

Edited by TVSpectator

I was glad that we got a chance to see Melinda and Andrew have a last moment together. But, when he was saying that he felt he was put here for a purpose, I started wondering if Lash is going to take down SquidWard. They've been laying on that destiny stuff pretty thick lately and it would fit. Well...on cursory glance it would fit. What really clicked it for me was seen the beginnings of SquidWard's transformation and how it's similar to Lash.

I thought the crucifix seen in the space shot belonged to that rubberband woman. Granted it could be given to a member of SHIELD so it doesn't mean it's her, especially since it was floating.

• Love 3

True enough, but Dyker isn't Manhattan. It's a  wealthy, mostly Italian neighborhood in South Brooklyn (between Bensonhurst and Bay Ridge). And it's not trendy like WIlliamsburg or Greenpoint, so unless you're from the general area, you wouldn't know it. I just thought it was funny :)

It's not that Italian any more.  There's a pretty large Pakistani population and most of my immediate neighbors are Russian.

I also thought it was funny that they had the guy with the independent grocery store.  Forget independent, I can't even think of any grocery stores here.  Your options are Bay Ridge, Borough Park, or Coney Island.

It's not that Italian any more.  There's a pretty large Pakistani population and most of my immediate neighbors are Russian.

I also thought it was funny that they had the guy with the independent grocery store.  Forget independent, I can't even think of any grocery stores here.  Your options are Bay Ridge, Borough Park, or Coney Island.

Getting back to the source of the MCU, even though later marvel employees rebooted it it goes back to the 60s before we were heavily in Vietnam and Tony Stark was captured there and not Afghanistan. So 60's New York City. How the TV unit missed that change when reading old books for story ideals?  How do you get around Hell's Kitchen and the Devil patrolling it when I hear it has gentrified? Well that is a miss on Fiege and company.

I stupidly thoguht that Brett Dalton could not possibly have any less inflection in his voice after last season, but I was wrong. Will his next incarnation just be robot?

• Love 3
(edited)

I thought the crucifix seen in the space shot belonged to that rubberband woman. Granted it could be given to a member of SHIELD so it doesn't mean it's her, especially since it was floating.

In the comics Yo-Yo lost her arms to Hydra, so maybe she will lose her arms on the show and then survive (somehow) the Qinjet incident. That being said, I thought that Charles (or Chuck) can only give you a vision of your death and not someone else's. So, I was thinking that Daisy could also be on the Qinjet as well since she had that vision. 

Getting back to the source of the MCU, even though later marvel employees rebooted it it goes back to the 60s before we were heavily in Vietnam and Tony Stark was captured there and not Afghanistan. So 60's New York City. How the TV unit missed that change when reading old books for story ideals?  How do you get around Hell's Kitchen and the Devil patrolling it when I hear it has gentrified? Well that is a miss on Fiege and company.

Even though they use some real locations, they are still only filming in the Los Angles area and it never looks like what it really looks like in real life. Also with the Daredevil comment, I like to jokingly say that Matt is really fighting gentrification. Since it was really the Kingpin who wanted to do that in the first place and Matt stopped him. 

Edited by TVSpectator
  • Love 1

Actually, the Netflix shows handwave it pretty well--after the events of Avengers, people abandoned Hell's Kitchen and it got run down again.  Honestly, I can accept that.  It's just funny when they're so clearly filming in other parts of the city that still look like what they're going for.

AoS had the classic giveaway of fake NYC:  lots of alleys behind buildings.  Those are almost nonexistent.

• Love 1

In the comics Yo-Yo lost her arms to Hydra, so maybe she will lose her arms on the show and then survive (somehow) the Qinjet incident. That being said, I thought that Charles (or Chuck) can only give you a vision of your death and not someone else's. So, I was thinking that Daisy could also be on the Qinjet as well since she had that vision.

Not necessarily. I just rewatched it today. When he touched his wife, she saw her mother going into a Code Blue in a hospital.

Not necessarily. I just rewatched it today. When he touched his wife, she saw her mother going into a Code Blue in a hospital.

Every hospital will have  different terms, for different situations, but a Code Blue is generally a term meaning that the person's condition is a priority and they need immediate resuscitation and/or some other major medical attention asap (like if they are having a heart attack).

Edited by TVSpectator

I'm glad Brett Dalton is still on the show, but I do not like how he is playing MavethWard. The zen voice and the wine-sipping-cheese-eating scene were like a very bad Game of Thrones audition. Also, the tunic coat appears dark green to me. Also also, a hook-and-eye closure seems very impractical for a long coat.

Maybe the story will follow the Angel-Illyria model, neutralize MavethWard, and he'll continue on Earth with less power and malevolence and become productive member of the team? I don't know what other character he could transition into, considering in his current state he could eat the planet and thus end the series.

I don't understand why Malick didn't kill Daisy. He seemed more than capable.

Last, I don't think they should rekindle the Ward-Daisy ship. MavethWard has Will's memories too, so maybe the writers are planning for a Simmons-Ward confrontation. I've always liked Ward's scenes with Fitz or Simmons.

• Love 1

I don't understand why Malick didn't kill Daisy. He seemed more than capable.

He has been set up to worship Hive and hive has a standing no hurting Killing of Inhuman order, out of racial superiority or that his power is to take control of them

And it seems rather dubious that the bad guys would be in the same place every time.

That's because they were re-using the same timeline.  So they knew where each bad guy would be and what he would be doing.

My question was actually why several hard hits from Malick's exoskeleton couldn't kill her.

She was wearing her plot-armor.

• Love 5
My question was actually why several hard hits from Malick's exoskeleton couldn't kill her.

They showed this. Apparently the suit has a limited power supply and he had it dialed down while pummeling her for fun. He cranked it up to 11 to deliver the death blow before Hobo McFortunecookie touched him and gave him the vision that frightened him so.

• Love 2

I was glad that we got a chance to see Melinda and Andrew have a last moment together. But, when he was saying that he felt he was put here for a purpose, I started wondering if Lash is going to take down SquidWard. They've been laying on that destiny stuff pretty thick lately and it would fit. Well...on cursory glance it would fit. What really clicked it for me was seen the beginnings of SquidWard's transformation and how it's similar to Lash.

I think this is exactly right and the reason the show has made Lincoln give the "every inhuman" has a purpose speech several times lately. The existence of a SquidWard on Earth isn't likely to be helpful to the Kree's eventual use of their weapons so here's a counterbalance - Lash.

I really wish SquidWard didn't sound so much like Ward, didn't have Ward's interest in Coulson (putting his hand on the table) and didn't refer to Coulson killing Ward as "killing me." It's supposed to be an alien creature using Ward's body, not Ward with new powers.  sigh  (Imagine the character if the actor playing it were more like Tatiana Maslany.)

I did like that the show acknowledged the stupidity/craziness of Malick devoting his time to bringing someone/something more powerful than him into the world by having SquidWard asking him the question directly. Too bad the answer sucked so sooooo hard. To the extent he is entertained by it, Malick was more than capable of killing as many people as he liked with or without his bare hands over the years. Also Ward's powers were totally irrelevant to obtaining control of that company - if you are willing to kill (and papers signed minutes before the signers become corpses would hold up for ten seconds in court), Hydra has plenty of guns that kill people just as dead as bad CGI.

• Love 2

Hobo McFortunecookie

Now I wish he was a recurring character just so we could use this name!  Brilliant.

Imagine the character if the actor playing it were more like Tatiana Maslany.

Since Hollywood thinks black women are scary anyway, why not go with Shanice Williams or Aeriel Miranda.  Killing someone who looks like Ward would be easy -- what if it looked like Quvenzhané Wallis?

I thought Coulson's look of shock when Ward showed up on the security footage was well played by Clark Gregg.

I just watched the past two episodes back to back, and maybe it's the lack of a week off between them, but it seems like there is finally some story momentum.

• Love 1

I thought Ward (NotWard?) looked ridiculous. I am not just talking just about the long matrixlike coat but also that slow mo of him in the coat that was added. Cheese whiz!

I agree, and I am so tired of the evil Ward/It storyline. Please clear this shit up and move on people.

• Love 2

I found it hard to care about this episode because "Vision of the future" episodes always go the same way:

1) "I've seen the future"
2) "Can you be sure?"
3) Random event that proves they really can
4) Discussion of determinism v Free Will
5) Vision DOES happen, but not quite what they thought

...and Waddya know, that's exactly how it went! All through the training montage I was going "Well this is completely pointless - events will conspire to make it Skye not May that undertakes the mission, where she will miraculously survive her inevitable meeting with death."

Monty Ashley (Recap) And in Hydra, Monster Ward has taken over. Malick's personal bodyguard now reports directly to Ward, and now whatever vaguely evil plan can get going.

It's disappointing that Malick seemingly had no plan (even one that failed) to prevent NeoWard from taking over, because what exactly did he expect to happen? Genocidal Maniacs are not exactly noted for their boundless gratitude and willingness to share power.

Jack Kerouac And why didn't Malick just knock her [Daisy] out and take her with him? SquidWard could have thrown some fairy dust at her and made her his willing accomplice.

Come to that, why didn't Daisy knock him off the roof? Now it's possible she was tapped out from the battle (maybe) but it definitely wasn't because she minds killing the Bad Guys because she was taking random grunts out on the way up. Admittedly, they were all mooks, so killing them doesn't count, it's only characters with lines that require you to consider the morality of killing...

There were some moments I liked, though. Andrew's pain at losing himself to Lash was very effective, as was "The Cavalry's" icy façade cracking even though she was determined not to let it. Also:

JediKnight Loved Coulson saying Lincoln was off the team for not seeing Terminator, that's a perfectly reasonable response.

Could've been worse - it could've been Star Wars!

• Love 1

I really enjoyed the fact that getting the evil alien back from Planet X was nearly Hydra's end game. It's kind of like they put all this effort into rubbing the magic lamp and the genie looked at them like they were idiots for thinking three wishes would solve their problems.

• Love 3