Forums forums
PRIMETIMER
Lantern7

Past Seasons Thread

I'd say Pam is the only "winner", in that she was the only one of the four I actually liked overall, as vanilla as she was. I loathed both Sean and Judd, and Rachel could be annoying AF sometimes.

For those who don’t watch The Challenge: last week, there was an elimination game which partially involved players bursting out of wicker baskets. Marie (from RW: St. Thomas) was having a lot of trouble, and the editors decided to pop in “Basket Case” by Green Day. I’m certain that got played on RW in the Nineties. Can somebody with a long memory and/or handy links tell us when that happened?

Edited by Lantern7

Apparently this was on Reddit. I don't go to Reddit but I copied it from another site.  Any guesses as to who this may be?  

@Lantern7, if anybody has the scoop I figured it would be you. 

A reader writes:
I’m currently on a hiring committee for a newly established role in my division. It’s designed for someone with a marketing background, but involves a lot of direct interaction with clients on projects. This person will manage a team within our marketing department, and it’s a relatively senior position.

We’ve had our first set of interviews, and one candidate stood out particularly in terms of her experience, practical skills, and overall demeanor. Although I can’t say that she’s unequivocally qualified over the others, it seemed pretty clear that she should be brought back for a second round. After her first interview, she received very positive feedback and seemed like an obvious choice to return.

Yesterday, however, one member of the committee mentioned that a quick Google search of her name brought up that she had been a cast member on a reality show about a decade ago.Admittedly, the show is not one remembered for its tastefulness (think along the lines of The Real World or Jersey Shore). This news seems to have soured most of the committee on her, and it doesn’t look like she’ll be brought back. They’re arguing that someone who will serve in a public and managerial role should not have this type of history, and that her atypical first name means that a client or coworker will likely remember her from the show. I’m unconvinced. I think that her qualifications are such that she should be considered, and that a qualified applicant should not be blacklisted indefinitely because they were on MTV once in their twenties.

A few are also unhappy that she left this off of her resume and didn’t bring it up to us in the first interview, which I find a bit ridiculous. It isn’t related to her professional experience, and she shouldn’t be tasked with casually bringing it up each time she’s in the running for a job.

That being said, I’m easily the most junior member of the hiring committee, so I don’t know if this is something I should spend capital on, but I feel like rejecting this candidate outright for a years-old action would be unfair to her. At the very least, she deserves to be brought back in and be asked about this part of her past. How can I advocate for her, or should I bother? Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Not sure who that might be, but there are plenty to choose from as quite a few have gone on to successful business careers.  Off the top of my head: Colie (Denver) was at Brunswick, Kalle (RR) was at Sony, Frank (Vegas) is in capital investments.  Sometimes it's fun to go down the rabbit hole that is linkedin and see where they ended up.

I don't know if it was someone on The Real World, or on another tacky MTV show, since it says "think along the lines of The Real World or Jersey Shore).  Maybe Road Rules?  Either way, "a decade ago" means I'll be no help, as I'd quit watching before then.

• Like 1

I was thinking about it, and there are really only seven seasons I can say I liked: New York, San Francisco, Boston, Seattle, Hawaii, New Orleans, Chicago. 

When they've been to these locations more than once, always assume I'm talking about the first time. I was outta there before they revisited any city, except for the combination sourball/sleep aid that was Back to New York.  

But even the "good" seasons always had a lot of filler. People talk about how insane and riveting the Hawaii season was, because they're thinking about the production team chasing down Ruthie while she swerved all over the road, or Kaia reading that awful poem, or Matt's hypnotically creepy confessionals about the tears coming up from his gut and out of his eyes. They forget that watching that season also entailed listened to Amaya and Colin having the same conversation 100 times, where she was whiny and needy and he was cold and bratty. Then there would be interviews where they reiterated what we'd just seen, and then interviews with their housemates giving their opinions on it. The chronology of those showmances is always confusing. Keri/Kyle in Chicago was another one. I'm always thinking, "Didn't she say she was done with him two episodes ago? Why are they cuddling again?" Either they don't show a bunch of reconciliations or the footage is all scrambled up.

Still, those seven seasons were the ones I would and did watch a second time. With some of the others, like Los Angeles, Austin, Denver, etc,. , if I slogged through all the episodes once, I never wanted to see them again.  

Edited by Asp Burger
  • Like 3

I could not find a Hawaii thread, but here's four-sevenths of the Hawaii cast going at it with Bill Maher. I have to say, they all come off better here than they did on the show(s). Teck gets a few good digs in at Maher. 

• Like 3

Finding this forum has inspired me to dust off all my VHS tapes.  I recorded every single season from the very first season - original New York - through Key West, all except for the first half of Philadelphia. And Boston - I never did see the Boston season.  I still have a working VCR.  I think I need to rewatch them all.

• Like 1

and there are really only seven seasons I can say I liked: New York, San Francisco, Boston, Seattle, Hawaii, New Orleans, Chicago. 

In general, I liked most of the 90s seasons, pretty much from New York 1.0 until New Orleans. New York 2.0 was ok, Chicago is when I began losing interest, and Las Vegas I checked out for good. But those 9 first seasons are still great. Even the lesser seasons, like Miami, were still better than much of the crapfest that followed once the style of show shifted during Las Vegas.

21 hours ago, mandymax said:

Finding this forum has inspired me to dust off all my VHS tapes.  I recorded every single season from the very first season - original New York - through Key West, all except for the first half of Philadelphia. And Boston - I never did see the Boston season.  I still have a working VCR.  I think I need to rewatch them all.

If you ever decide to get these converted to digital, I would happily buy several seasons from you 🙂

• Like 1

On 9/21/2019 at 4:17 PM, mandymax said:

Seriously??  That’s worth something on the Real World black market.  You can’t buy them anywhere- you should put them on a disc and sell them!

• Like 3

On 9/22/2019 at 10:34 PM, heatherchandler said:

Seriously??  That’s worth something on the Real World black market.  You can’t buy them anywhere- you should put them on a disc and sell them!

I've been wanting to put them on disc just for myself so I don't lose them!

The best part of them, though, is actually the commercials.  Especially the computer ads.  These tapes are like time capsules!

On 9/22/2019 at 3:03 PM, shantown said:

If you ever decide to get these converted to digital, I would happily buy several seasons from you 🙂

I've been working on getting them transferred to another format for awhile so I don't lose them - I need to figure this out before the tapes won't play anymore! 

3 hours ago, mandymax said:

I've been wanting to put them on disc just for myself so I don't lose them!

The best part of them, though, is actually the commercials.  Especially the computer ads.  These tapes are like time capsules!

I've been working on getting them transferred to another format for awhile so I don't lose them - I need to figure this out before the tapes won't play anymore! 

I will buy them!  You're sitting on a goldmine!  I actually bought a vcr tape to disc converter at Best Buy.

Edited by heatherchandler