Type keyword(s) to search

Past Seasons Thread

• Start Topic

I'd say Pam is the only "winner", in that she was the only one of the four I actually liked overall, as vanilla as she was. I loathed both Sean and Judd, and Rachel could be annoying AF sometimes.

(edited)

For those who don’t watch The Challenge: last week, there was an elimination game which partially involved players bursting out of wicker baskets. Marie (from RW: St. Thomas) was having a lot of trouble, and the editors decided to pop in “Basket Case” by Green Day. I’m certain that got played on RW in the Nineties. Can somebody with a long memory and/or handy links tell us when that happened?

Edited by Lantern7

Apparently this was on Reddit. I don't go to Reddit but I copied it from another site.  Any guesses as to who this may be?  

@Lantern7, if anybody has the scoop I figured it would be you. 

A reader writes:
I’m currently on a hiring committee for a newly established role in my division. It’s designed for someone with a marketing background, but involves a lot of direct interaction with clients on projects. This person will manage a team within our marketing department, and it’s a relatively senior position.

We’ve had our first set of interviews, and one candidate stood out particularly in terms of her experience, practical skills, and overall demeanor. Although I can’t say that she’s unequivocally qualified over the others, it seemed pretty clear that she should be brought back for a second round. After her first interview, she received very positive feedback and seemed like an obvious choice to return.

Yesterday, however, one member of the committee mentioned that a quick Google search of her name brought up that she had been a cast member on a reality show about a decade ago.Admittedly, the show is not one remembered for its tastefulness (think along the lines of The Real World or Jersey Shore). This news seems to have soured most of the committee on her, and it doesn’t look like she’ll be brought back. They’re arguing that someone who will serve in a public and managerial role should not have this type of history, and that her atypical first name means that a client or coworker will likely remember her from the show. I’m unconvinced. I think that her qualifications are such that she should be considered, and that a qualified applicant should not be blacklisted indefinitely because they were on MTV once in their twenties.

A few are also unhappy that she left this off of her resume and didn’t bring it up to us in the first interview, which I find a bit ridiculous. It isn’t related to her professional experience, and she shouldn’t be tasked with casually bringing it up each time she’s in the running for a job.

That being said, I’m easily the most junior member of the hiring committee, so I don’t know if this is something I should spend capital on, but I feel like rejecting this candidate outright for a years-old action would be unfair to her. At the very least, she deserves to be brought back in and be asked about this part of her past. How can I advocate for her, or should I bother? Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Not sure who that might be, but there are plenty to choose from as quite a few have gone on to successful business careers.  Off the top of my head: Colie (Denver) was at Brunswick, Kalle (RR) was at Sony, Frank (Vegas) is in capital investments.  Sometimes it's fun to go down the rabbit hole that is linkedin and see where they ended up.

I don't know if it was someone on The Real World, or on another tacky MTV show, since it says "think along the lines of The Real World or Jersey Shore).  Maybe Road Rules?  Either way, "a decade ago" means I'll be no help, as I'd quit watching before then.

• Love 1
(edited)

I was thinking about it, and there are really only seven seasons I can say I liked: New York, San Francisco, Boston, Seattle, Hawaii, New Orleans, Chicago. 

When they've been to these locations more than once, always assume I'm talking about the first time. I was outta there before they revisited any city, except for the combination sourball/sleep aid that was Back to New York.  

But even the "good" seasons always had a lot of filler. People talk about how insane and riveting the Hawaii season was, because they're thinking about the production team chasing down Ruthie while she swerved all over the road, or Kaia reading that awful poem, or Matt's hypnotically creepy confessionals about the tears coming up from his gut and out of his eyes. They forget that watching that season also entailed listened to Amaya and Colin having the same conversation 100 times, where she was whiny and needy and he was cold and bratty. Then there would be interviews where they reiterated what we'd just seen, and then interviews with their housemates giving their opinions on it. The chronology of those showmances is always confusing. Keri/Kyle in Chicago was another one. I'm always thinking, "Didn't she say she was done with him two episodes ago? Why are they cuddling again?" Either they don't show a bunch of reconciliations or the footage is all scrambled up.

Still, those seven seasons were the ones I would and did watch a second time. With some of the others, like Los Angeles, Austin, Denver, etc,. , if I slogged through all the episodes once, I never wanted to see them again.  

Edited by Asp Burger
  • Love 3

I could not find a Hawaii thread, but here's four-sevenths of the Hawaii cast going at it with Bill Maher. I have to say, they all come off better here than they did on the show(s). Teck gets a few good digs in at Maher. 

• Love 3

Finding this forum has inspired me to dust off all my VHS tapes.  I recorded every single season from the very first season - original New York - through Key West, all except for the first half of Philadelphia. And Boston - I never did see the Boston season.  I still have a working VCR.  I think I need to rewatch them all.

• Love 1

and there are really only seven seasons I can say I liked: New York, San Francisco, Boston, Seattle, Hawaii, New Orleans, Chicago. 

In general, I liked most of the 90s seasons, pretty much from New York 1.0 until New Orleans. New York 2.0 was ok, Chicago is when I began losing interest, and Las Vegas I checked out for good. But those 9 first seasons are still great. Even the lesser seasons, like Miami, were still better than much of the crapfest that followed once the style of show shifted during Las Vegas.

• Love 2
21 hours ago, mandymax said:

Finding this forum has inspired me to dust off all my VHS tapes.  I recorded every single season from the very first season - original New York - through Key West, all except for the first half of Philadelphia. And Boston - I never did see the Boston season.  I still have a working VCR.  I think I need to rewatch them all.

If you ever decide to get these converted to digital, I would happily buy several seasons from you 🙂

• Love 3
On 9/21/2019 at 4:17 PM, mandymax said:

Seriously??  That’s worth something on the Real World black market.  You can’t buy them anywhere- you should put them on a disc and sell them!

• Love 4
On 9/22/2019 at 10:34 PM, heatherchandler said:

Seriously??  That’s worth something on the Real World black market.  You can’t buy them anywhere- you should put them on a disc and sell them!

I've been wanting to put them on disc just for myself so I don't lose them!

The best part of them, though, is actually the commercials.  Especially the computer ads.  These tapes are like time capsules!

On 9/22/2019 at 3:03 PM, shantown said:

If you ever decide to get these converted to digital, I would happily buy several seasons from you 🙂

I've been working on getting them transferred to another format for awhile so I don't lose them - I need to figure this out before the tapes won't play anymore! 

• Love 2
3 hours ago, mandymax said:

I've been wanting to put them on disc just for myself so I don't lose them!

The best part of them, though, is actually the commercials.  Especially the computer ads.  These tapes are like time capsules!

I've been working on getting them transferred to another format for awhile so I don't lose them - I need to figure this out before the tapes won't play anymore! 

I will buy them!  You're sitting on a goldmine!  I actually bought a vcr tape to disc converter at Best Buy.

Edited by heatherchandler
  • Love 1

Heads up: MTV is doing "Flashback Friday" this week. Included in the mix: three-hour block of the original Real World starting at 11 a.m. Just wanted to put that out there.

• Love 2
13 hours ago, Lantern7 said:

Heads up: MTV is doing "Flashback Friday" this week. Included in the mix: three-hour block of the original Real World starting at 11 a.m. Just wanted to put that out there.

Finally!!!  I have been waiting for them to show the original stuff.  

So after watching episode 2 of the RWNY1 reunion, the next episode autoplaying was the Philadelphia season. I left it on just because I've worked in Philadelphia and wanted to look for the location scenes.

I remember this season sucking, but I'd forgotten a lot of the other crap about it. Like MJ's pronouncement that Shavonda was the hottest black woman he's ever seen (besides Vanessa Williams) and all of MJ's commentary about gay people. 

But what's standing out to me the most is how irritating Sarah is. I'm cringing SO hard for her, she's trying so hard to be the "bombshell" of the season and it just doesn't fit. IIRC, she becomes a lot more likable later on when she lets her guard down about her insecurities, but these early episodes are PAINFUL.

Throwing herself at MJ at every opportunity (while he shows the most minimal of interest and it's clear she's a drunken convenience to him), having a fit when he talks to other girls, proclaiming herself "just like a guy when it comes to sex," and immediately glomming onto Willie so she could have her fabulous gay friend, it's just so stereotypical and try-hard. She was clearly intelligent and probably had more going on in her brain that she could have shared if she wasn't trying so damn hard to be Trishelle 2.0. 

There's a narrow audience for this reference, but there's this Randy Newman song called "The Great Debate," which is a long satirical piece about evolution denialism. It's about a big public gathering with scientific experts on one side and evangelicals on the other, debating creation and evolution. It starts out with the singer talking like an emcee or a TV announcer about all the different people who will be participating. One line of his spiel is "We've got a lumberjack and a life coach!" 

I'll never be able to hear that line now without picturing Sean from Boston and Kelley from New Orleans.  

On 3/15/2021 at 3:24 PM, ljenkins782 said:

But what's standing out to me the most is how irritating Sarah is. I'm cringing SO hard for her, she's trying so hard to be the "bombshell" of the season and it just doesn't fit. IIRC, she becomes a lot more likable later on when she lets her guard down about her insecurities, but these early episodes are PAINFUL.

I despised her on the first two episodes, and now she's like one of my all time favorite cast members. I think Karamo gave an interview where he said Sarah was one of the most well informed people he'd ever met- she followed lot of different news sources and had opinions on a lot of current events, on an international level. By episode 3 I think she was coming off a lot better. I too get the impression she was trying to reinvent herself as the "hot one" and play Cool Girl, which was clearly an act and once she dropped it, she actually became very relatable.

I too have tried to play The Cool Girl, but even I wouldn't have attempted it on a reality show. Way too many opportunities to have your cover blown :).

(edited)

Sarah is one of my all time favorites. I loved that she was a fan of the show and then just moved on with her life and never did a challenge because it just didn't work out with her schedule (She almost did the original Duel but filming was happening during her Best friends wedding). I believe she is a lawyer according to Karamo. I've been rewatching Philadelphia and it holds up pretty well. I looked up Shavonda and she is married to the guy she dated during the show.

I wouldn't mind a Philadelphia Homecoming. Landon did an interview a few years ago and said the whole cast didn't like MJ after the season because he wanted nothing to do with them and called him the fakest person he has ever met. Landon had positive things to say about Mel saying it was funny the person he couldn't stand the most in the house is the person he keeps in touch with the most. From the ten year interview they all did it sounded like Landon/Sarah/Melanie/Karamo kept in touch and Sarah/Melanie/Karamo/Shavonda keep in touch.

Edited by choclatechip45
1 hour ago, choclatechip45 said:

Landon did an interview a few years ago and said the whole cast didn't like MJ after the season because he wanted nothing to do with them and called him the fakest person he has ever met.

That doesn't surprise me. I remember on the reunion show right after the season ended, Landon seemed really bitter but without saying why, and I suspected MJ had ghosted him after show's end and that that was why Landon was bitter.

One of my most vivid memories from the season was when Karamo was getting harassed by cops while out partying with MJ and he kept calling for MJ to come over, and he was disappointed by MJ then. I found it frustrating that some people didn't understand why Karamo was doing that or what MJ did wrong in being totally absent. I was like, "Really? He's a black gay man being hassled by cops. He's hoping the cops seeing his frat white boy friend will help de-escalate the situation and make them decide to leave Karamo alone." MJ not helping definitely made me side-eye him afterwards.

(edited)
46 minutes ago, Black Knight said:

That doesn't surprise me. I remember on the reunion show right after the season ended, Landon seemed really bitter but without saying why, and I suspected MJ had ghosted him after show's end and that that was why Landon was bitter.

One of my most vivid memories from the season was when Karamo was getting harassed by cops while out partying with MJ and he kept calling for MJ to come over, and he was disappointed by MJ then. I found it frustrating that some people didn't understand why Karamo was doing that or what MJ did wrong in being totally absent. I was like, "Really? He's a black gay man being hassled by cops. He's hoping the cops seeing his frat white boy friend will help de-escalate the situation and make them decide to leave Karamo alone." MJ not helping definitely made me side-eye him afterwards.

Landon said he thought he made this life long friend and who wanted nothing to do with him.

I agree with you about that Karamo scene I watched that episode recently and was like WTF MJ.

Karamo rewatched the scene and talked about it and he said he remembered being upset because he thought MJ didn't go outside and check on him. It was interesting watching Karamo rewatch some of the scenes from Real World Philly. 

Edited by choclatechip45
  • Love 1
5 hours ago, Tatum said:

I despised her on the first two episodes, and now she's like one of my all time favorite cast members. I think Karamo gave an interview where he said Sarah was one of the most well informed people he'd ever met- she followed lot of different news sources and had opinions on a lot of current events, on an international level. By episode 3 I think she was coming off a lot better. I too get the impression she was trying to reinvent herself as the "hot one" and play Cool Girl, which was clearly an act and once she dropped it, she actually became very relatable.

I too have tried to play The Cool Girl, but even I wouldn't have attempted it on a reality show. Way too many opportunities to have your cover blown :).

Yeah, I knew there was more to her than shoving her implants into people's faces (and hands), but it was embarrassing to watch her put on this persona and have it fail so spectacularly. I'm no Trishelle fan, but she came by her man-eater reputation honestly, men did seem to fall for her pretty readily. 

OTOH, it's also an unfortunate reflection of society that the hot girl occupies a more revered place than the smart girl, so I understood her desire to come across that way, but it was so phony and no one was biting.

Landon did an interview a few years ago and said the whole cast didn't like MJ after the season because he wanted nothing to do with them and called him the fakest person he has ever met.

Yeah, MJ struck me as another B2NY Kevin type, white guys who think the sun shines out of their asses and that the whole world is clamoring to get to them. It doesn't surprise me at all that MJ wouldn't bother to keep in touch.

Alcohol issues aside, Landon does seem like a genuine guy and Karamo has mellowed into a much more secure person than he was on the show. But outside of those 2 and maybe Sarah, I'm not too interested in this cast. Willy, Mel, MJ and Shavonda didn't do much for me.

12 minutes ago, ljenkins782 said:

Yeah, I knew there was more to her than shoving her implants into people's faces (and hands), but it was embarrassing to watch her put on this persona and have it fail so spectacularly. I'm no Trishelle fan, but she came by her man-eater reputation honestly, men did seem to fall for her pretty readily. 

Exactly. If you are attracted to a guy who is clearly emotionally unavailable and you want to bang him anyways, just for fun, no expectations, more power to you, but if trying to make him want to be in a relationship with you is something you see as a personal challenge to boost your self worth (I must be worth it if this player is going to settle down for me!), you're going to have problems. Once Sarah realized MJ was talking shit about her, she seemed to just drop the whole charade in a very mature, low drama way, and focused more on making friends with her roommates and just enjoying her time.

I wish she would have come on a challenge, but I am also kind of glad she did not. If some of MJ and Landon's frat boy hijinks got to her on the show, I am sure she would have been horrified by what the JEK alliance would do.

17 hours ago, Tatum said:

Exactly. If you are attracted to a guy who is clearly emotionally unavailable and you want to bang him anyways, just for fun, no expectations, more power to you, but if trying to make him want to be in a relationship with you is something you see as a personal challenge to boost your self worth (I must be worth it if this player is going to settle down for me!), you're going to have problems. Once Sarah realized MJ was talking shit about her, she seemed to just drop the whole charade in a very mature, low drama way, and focused more on making friends with her roommates and just enjoying her time.

I wish she would have come on a challenge, but I am also kind of glad she did not. If some of MJ and Landon's frat boy hijinks got to her on the show, I am sure she would have been horrified by what the JEK alliance would do.

If Sarah had done a challenge after her show she would have avoided the JEK alliance since that wasn't a thing yet. 

I do remember Sarah and Coral arguing during The Real World Austin casting special I thought for sure they would try to put the both of them on a Challenge together. I do think Sarah probably would have gotten on a few people nerves since I remember that Karamo interview and Sarah probably was smarter than your average Real Worlder. I also remember she showed up to that Real World Award Bash in a bunch of group confessionals. 

17 hours ago, ljenkins782 said:

OTOH, it's also an unfortunate reflection of society that the hot girl occupies a more revered place than the smart girl, so I understood her desire to come across that way, but it was so phony and no one was biting.

Yeah, MJ struck me as another B2NY Kevin type, white guys who think the sun shines out of their asses and that the whole world is clamoring to get to them. It doesn't surprise me at all that MJ wouldn't bother to keep in touch.

Alcohol issues aside, Landon does seem like a genuine guy and Karamo has mellowed into a much more secure person than he was on the show. But outside of those 2 and maybe Sarah, I'm not too interested in this cast. Willy, Mel, MJ and Shavonda didn't do much for me.

Landon did say some racially insensitive things on his season, but it does seem like he is a good guy. If he was full blown racist I doubt Karamo would randomly call him each year to check up on him which Landon said happens every year. 

I know Karamo has said finding out he was a father of a 10 year old son really changed his life and perspective and in his words made him stop drinking and doing drugs. 

I was thinking about the "missing seasons" and the music-rights issues. I wonder how it works with diegetic music choices, which got more common in those years. For example, if Paramount+ put the Hawaii season up, they could easily cut the dozens or hundreds of background choices, but wouldn't they have to spring for "In My Life" (Amaya sings it at the talent show, and there's a whole montage matching the lyrics) and "Kiss Me" (Malo gives Ruthie a CD single and they listen to it together, and it comes back as a theme for them)? 

A scene in the Seattle season for Irene and Nathan wouldn't make sense unless they secured that recording of "Goodnight, Irene." Same with the Boston girls and "Wannabe." In both cases, the cast members are talking about the song while listening to it.

(edited)

From the NOLA Homecoming Thread:

17 hours ago, choclatechip45 said:

I think somewhat recently Brynn did an interview when that Go Big or Go Home season was airing and she was still married to Austin. She mentioned in her interview with Mike Lewis she wanted to do a homecoming season because she was a single mom and could use the paycheck. 

I didn't see a specific Vegas thread so I will put here.

Brynn's marriage lasted much longer than I thought it would, considering Brynn seemed to just barely tolerate Austin when they were onscreen together. And I am still stunned at the episode where Brynn invited Austin to visit, then tried to orchestrate a situation where both he and some local guy she was banging were all hanging out together at a club, obviously expecting the two men to fight over her. It backfired when Local Guy quickly backed off and moved on to Irulan instead, and Brynn sobbed on the dance floor- being comforted by Austin- admitting she was hurt Local Guy didn't care about her and was now interested in Irulan. Austin comes out to visit a woman he's interested in dating- who has led him to believe she might be interested as well- and has to COMFORT HER when she cries over another guy not being that into her.

It's unclear whether Austin understood Local Guy was just validation vehicle for Brynn (Brynn seemed to base her self worth on how much other guys liked her), or if he was just desperate enough to take whatever scraps Brynn gave him.

Edited by Tatum
5 hours ago, Tatum said:

From the NOLA Homecoming Thread:

I didn't see a specific Vegas thread so I will put here.

Brynn's marriage lasted much longer than I thought it would, considering Brynn seemed to just barely tolerate Austin when they were onscreen together. And I am still stunned at the episode where Brynn invited Austin to visit, then tried to orchestrate a situation where both he and some local guy she was banging were all hanging out together at a club, obviously expecting the two men to fight over her. It backfired when Local Guy quickly backed off and moved on to Irulan instead, and Brynn sobbed on the dance floor- being comforted by Austin- admitting she was hurt Local Guy didn't care about her and was now interested in Irulan. Austin comes out to visit a woman he's interested in dating- who has led him to believe she might be interested as well- and has to COMFORT HER when she cries over another guy not being that into her.

It's unclear whether Austin understood Local Guy was just validation vehicle for Brynn (Brynn seemed to base her self worth on how much other guys liked her), or if he was just desperate enough to take whatever scraps Brynn gave him.

I agree especially since they got married since she got pregnant. In Brynn's Mike Lewis interview I found it interesting she said she kept in touch with Trishelle the most since I never thought Brynn liked her and vice versa. 

1 hour ago, choclatechip45 said:

I agree especially since they got married since she got pregnant. In Brynn's Mike Lewis interview I found it interesting she said she kept in touch with Trishelle the most since I never thought Brynn liked her and vice versa. 

I may be wrong, but I don't think they were close at all during the original season and immediately after. I am pretty sure Trishelle said in Reunited that they had not kept in touch. Brynn was pretty transparent about being very jealous and resentful of the ease in which Trishelle attracted men, and I thought I noticed a pretty malicious sense of glee when Steven started to distance himself from Trishelle. Brynn also regularly mocked Trishelle behind her back, calling her stupid.

I think they bonded during Reunited and maybe became close after that?

24 minutes ago, Tatum said:

I may be wrong, but I don't think they were close at all during the original season and immediately after. I am pretty sure Trishelle said in Reunited that they had not kept in touch. Brynn was pretty transparent about being very jealous and resentful of the ease in which Trishelle attracted men, and I thought I noticed a pretty malicious sense of glee when Steven started to distance himself from Trishelle. Brynn also regularly mocked Trishelle behind her back, calling her stupid.

I think they bonded during Reunited and maybe became close after that?

Maybe. I don't remember them interacting much on Reunited. Trishelle was with Steven and Frank and Brynn hung out with Irulan. They seemed friendly at that Real World Award Bash that happened a year later so maybe. 

I remember them having a pretty heartfelt conversation during Reunited in which they worked out some of their stuff. Trishelle mentioned being upset about not being invited to Brynn's wedding, and Brynn explained her wedding was thrown together at the spur of the moment and was very small. Learning that Irulan wasn't at the wedding either also made a difference to Trishelle. I'm not surprised they stayed friendly after that.

1 hour ago, Black Knight said:

I remember them having a pretty heartfelt conversation during Reunited in which they worked out some of their stuff. Trishelle mentioned being upset about not being invited to Brynn's wedding, and Brynn explained her wedding was thrown together at the spur of the moment and was very small. Learning that Irulan wasn't at the wedding either also made a difference to Trishelle. I'm not surprised they stayed friendly after that.

Ah I do remember that scene! I just remember thinking it was weird that Trishelle would be mad about that. 

Trishelle seemed hurt, not mad, to me. I think that went a long way with Brynn. If Trishelle had been angry about it Brynn would probably have responded with reminders of Trishelle's past offenses, that they're not close, etc.

1 hour ago, Black Knight said:

Trishelle seemed hurt, not mad, to me. I think that went a long way with Brynn. If Trishelle had been angry about it Brynn would probably have responded with reminders of Trishelle's past offenses, that they're not close, etc.

That's fair. Trishelle does strike me as someone who would put the most effort in keeping in touch with her former roommates. In her Mike Lewis interview she said she has everyones contact info (phone number or social media) besides Alton.

11 hours ago, Black Knight said:

I don't really remember Trishelle doing anything particularly hurtful to Brynn- what did she do? I mean, Trishelle is certainly no saint, but I always thought she was pretty kind to Brynn specifically.

14 hours ago, Black Knight said:

Yeah, didn't Trishelle say she wanted to throw Brynn a belated baby shower or something like that? I think Brynn had two kids by then.

On 5/19/2022 at 10:50 AM, Tatum said:

I don't really remember Trishelle doing anything particularly hurtful to Brynn- what did she do? I mean, Trishelle is certainly no saint, but I always thought she was pretty kind to Brynn specifically.

Yeah, didn't Trishelle say she wanted to throw Brynn a belated baby shower or something like that? I think Brynn had two kids by then.

I thought it was a bachelorette party and the guys threw a bachelor party for Austin.

For nostalgia (especially for those of us who stopped watching the early 200s) here is the group photo from the 10th anniversary/reunion special. Over a dozen or so people missing from the pic, but if nothing else, it does capture a moment in time (especially the fashion).

RW10tha.thumb.jpg.d1d5e1c9f8c4d1f3ac54c191e9e33873.jpg

• Love 3

That picture frustrates me, because they mostly have them grouped by season, but not entirely, so I can't figure out who some of them even are without the context.

Top row: Who's between Dan and Flora?  I would assume Melissa (and standing next to Dan would explain that sour look), but I can't tell.

Second row: Who's between Sarah and Amaya?  Between Amaya and Andre?

Third row: Who's far left, next to Beth A. -- Hawaii Matt?

• Love 1

Top row: Who's between Dan and Flora?

Kaia from Hawaii.

Second row: Who's between Sarah and Amaya? 

Justin from Hawaii.

Between Amaya and Andre?

Mike from Miami.

Third row: Who's far left, next to Beth A.

Glen from LA.

• Love 1
(edited)

I wonder why rw1 julie didn't do this photoshoot / did she have work and couldn't take off

I wish they did a photo shoot like this for road rules but I guess because of some drama with this one they didn't or did they?

Edited by moonchild81
9 minutes ago, moonchild81 said:

I wonder why rw1 julie didn't do this photoshoot / did she have work and couldn't take off

I wish they did a photo shoot like this for road rules but I guess because of some drama with this one they didn't or did they?

I might be wrong, but I thought Julie didn't go because she just had her first child or was about too which would add up since he was 19 when Homecoming New York was filmed.