Type keyword(s) to search

Past Seasons Thread

• Start Topic

Plus, I'd love to see the reunions.  Were there two?  I feel like there was one after London or Miami and then the big one at 10 years.  

There were 3. The first one, in 1995, had New York, LA, San Francisco, and London. The second, in 2000, had Miami, Boston, Seattle, and Hawaii. Finally there was the big reunion in 2001 which featured the first 9 seasons.

And some seasons had their own reunion after the show, like Seattle, New Orleans, and maybe Chicago (I was only semi-invested in the show by then, so am not sure if they had a season reunion or not).

• Love 2

I too am selfish. I want all of the seasons and all of the reunions, all of the casting specials (the one that sticks out most in my mind is Hawaii, where Colin found out while hosting the special he was going to be a roommate, even though this decision ended up being awful, and for Kaia's pretentiousness). 

If I HAD to pick highlights/lowlights from each missing season

Miami: hot tub threesome and window snooping; all of Flora's interactions with Mitchell; Dan screaming at Melissa for opening his mail

Boston (FAVORITE SEASON): Montana WHORE!!! call out from Vaj; Crossover trip with Road Rules cast; "Genesisisms" ("I don't need your dogma when I'm trying to go to the 7-11!") Montana getting in trouble for serving alcohol; mini trip to Martha's Vineyard

Seattle: The slap heard around the world; "you're killing me, Kira!"; Janet chainsmoking on a mountaintop in Nepal

Hawaii (this one's hard): Ruthy's alcohol poisoning; Amaya whining; Kaia being topless; Justin being a shit-stirrer 

New Orleans: Come on be my baby tonight! All of Melissa's confessionals and chair throwing--TIME THE F*CK OUT!!--Danny and his bf

Back to NY:  Corral schooling the Miz before he was the Miz; all the shots of NYC pre 9/11

Chicago: their coverage of 9/11; Tonya histrionics; uhhhhhhhh, also drawing kind of a blank

I admit now that I'm finishing up the London marathon that this season was pretty damn boring--I think what redeemed it for me though was how random all of their professions and hobbies were (Race car driver! Fencer! Model! DJ! Playwright!) and how we got glimpses of all of them doing these things and how they were all able to respect and get excited about each other's passions for the most part.  

• Love 3

Well, I've been reposting recaps from 2003. I'm almost up to the hookup special hosted by Dan Renzi, where Mike/Miz and Malik are connected through seventeen alumni. When I post that, I will let you know. I think my favorite part was seeing Kyle/Keri, and the producer puts in Jimmy Fallon's "Idiot Boyfriend." Because fuck the fivehead, that's why.

• Love 2
16 hours ago, Lantern7 said:

Well, I've been reposting recaps from 2003. I'm almost up to the hookup special hosted by Dan Renzi, where Mike/Miz and Malik are connected through seventeen alumni. When I post that, I will let you know.

Woohoo! Cant wait to read them.

I hope we're not cheated from seeing some great seasons. I never gave New Orleans a chance back when but given how much its resonated over the years I really want to give it a whirl. Need to revisit Boston, Seattle, Hawaii and Chicago again.

• Love 1

And here is another clip for you, featuring everyone's favorite Boston cast member named after a state:

Enjoy it now. Some great scenes used to up but are now gone (like the David/Kira one from Seattle).

Edited by AndySmith
  • Love 5
21 hours ago, AndySmith said:

And here is another clip for you, featuring everyone's favorite Boston cast member named after a state:

Enjoy it now. Some great scenes used to up but are now gone (like the David/Kira one from Seattle).

"Well BUMMER!" hahaha.

Another phone call I'll always remember from this season is Genesis on the phone with her mom, and her mom, struggling with depression, reveals that she hasn't eaten in a week. Genesis asks why and her mom in her thick Mississippi accent announces, "I don't deserve to eat." It was a very sad situation, but I'll cop to still borrowing that phrase in place of "I'm not hungry" every once in awhile for melodramatic flourish. See you all in hell, I guess. I'll bet it's all reality TV down there 24/7 anyway. ;)

• Love 6
20 minutes ago, Sister Havana said:

The next marathon is going to be Key West on October 1, per my cable guide. 

Oh, joy. And fucking Johnny will provide commentary. On the bright side, we can remember how Tyler was a bigger piece of stool back then. If only Svetelana and her mom had kicked his ass.

Are hashtags a thing on Facebook? I'm thinking of starting a movement for good seasons.

I forgot to delete this from my queue, so Las Vegas is on my DVR. Early morning, nothing else on, I started playing them. I'm at the end of the threesome episode, wanting to punch everyone but Arissa and Irulan. Keep watching, and their turn probably will come. (I mostly try to block this one out of my brain.)

God, Vegas.  Literally no one comes off as likable.  This environment brought out everyone's worst side.  

I remember hating Brynn with a passion, but she was just silly and immature.  Can't believe she has three kids with Austin now.

The pregnancy scare! Imagine Steven and Trashelle being the parents of a 14-year-old.  

Irulan was a relatively smart girl and deserved way better than cheating Alton.  She must look back on that relationship with horror.

• Love 1

Is the Vegas season the longest ever in terms of episodes?  It's like neverending.  Agree that most come off unlikable.  Watching again now, Irulan in particular watching strikes me as completely dramatic and self-involved.  

I remember being in awe of their trip top Australia, but really aside from a day trip to see the animals, they didn't get to see much.  Does Contiki still exist?  That looked like a resort that could've been anywhere.  

Perhaps that will happen after Key WestWe don't even know!!!! Sorry, but that's a gag worth repeating.

ETA: Anybody else watching Gotham? I think Jamie is doing a decent job after two episodes, though I'll be surprised if her  character lives to the end of the season.

• Love 1

In case you didn't see the RW3 thread . . . that season will be aired on MTV Classic October 10-11.

ETA: Anybody watching Key West? Yeah, me either. "The Adventures Of Johnny Bananas Before He Went Full Scumbag" doesn't appeal to me.

Yes, I'm watching.  #RWjunkie. 

How did I forgot all about Zach? He was an interesting dude. Reminds me a bit of Randy from San Diego.  

Tyler, Bananas, and Paula are even More annoying this time through.  Paula's baby voice is ridiculous. Somehow Svetlana is less irritating and more interesting to me now.  

Did Jenelle or Jose ever appear on a challenge?

Added: Paula's scabs?  Meth or self mutilation/picking?

Edited by snarts
More
  • Love 1

I just bitched about the season selection on Facebook. I figure we'll get Seattle in two weeks. While I'm thinking about it . . . Nathan wasn't being a hick yelling "VIVA NEPAL!!!" I think he was channeling Eddie Murphy in The Golden Child.

I think that I'll post the hookup special recap from 2003 in a few days. Problem is, I don't know when it aired. I think it ran the day before a Challenge episode, but my memory is foggy. I can't find any information about it. I just want to get the exact date for accuracy.

ETA: Wikipedia and IMDB are little help. According to IMDB, Dan hosted the Battle Of The Sexes preview special. That was Ruthie, along with Jonny Moseley.

On 10/1/2016 at 9:04 PM, Lantern7 said:

I think that I'll post the hookup special recap from 2003 in a few days. Problem is, I don't know when it aired. I think it ran the day before a Challenge episode, but my memory is foggy. I can't find any information about it. I just want to get the exact date for accuracy.

I put together episode guides for all three BMP shows back around the time of the Real World Awards Bash in 2008, basically because I wanted to make sure I had collected all of the unofficial episodes and one-off specials on VHS tapes (back in the day, of course), because clip shows and reunions still very often get left off future DVD releases/iTunes/Amazon Prime (and, as we just found out with Key West, the marathons on MTV Classic). I used TV.com as a resource; the website has been revamped since then (some stuff is missing now), but it remains a pretty good resource.

Anyway, I have two hook-up specials:
One aired during RW Chicago around April 15 or 16, 2002, hosted by Syrus and Becky ("The Real World Hook-ups, Heartbreaks and Happily Ever Afters.").
The other ("Real World/Road Rules: 19 Degrees of Reality TV Hookups") was hosted by Kevin and Malik of RW: Back to New York. This archived website lists the airdate as Feb. 14 or 15, 2003 -- which makes sense, re: Valentine's Day.

Edited by Bob Sambob
  • Useful 1

Does the special in question end with the Miz and Malik running down the beach and hugging each other? I haven't seen it in almost 14 years, but that's the one I was talking about.

Edited by Bob Sambob

That's the one. They come close to kissing, but are all, "Oh, hell no!" Because they're heterosexual, you see. I think this is the last we see of Malik's awesome afro.

Looking up MTV Classic . . . RW4 will run throughout October 17. Maybe the network will be running classic seasons (and the shit we can't stand) on Mondays.

I instantly went to YouTube to find that clip where Brooke went HAM on Jenn.  Oh, the memories.

The only other thing I remember from that season is drunk Davis calling Tyree the N-word, Colie's thirst over Alex and her getting mono.

• Love 1
On 9/12/2016 at 4:56 PM, Lantern7 said:

Well, I've been reposting recaps from 2003. I'm almost up to the hookup special hosted by Dan Renzi, where Mike/Miz and Malik are connected through seventeen alumni. When I post that, I will let you know. I think my favorite part was seeing Kyle/Keri, and the producer puts in Jimmy Fallon's "Idiot Boyfriend." Because fuck the fivehead, that's why.

Where are these recaps???  I love to read recaps.

On ‎10‎/‎4‎/‎2016 at 5:31 PM, Lantern7 said:

That's the one. They come close to kissing, but are all, "Oh, hell no!" Because they're heterosexual, you see. I think this is the last we see of Malik's awesome afro.

Looking up MTV Classic . . . RW4 will run throughout October 17. Maybe the network will be running classic seasons (and the shit we can't stand) on Mondays.

Aww man, they already did London. Sheesh.

^someone who hates me.  

Why couldn't they just air them in order?  I thought that they only sold the rights to the first couple of seasons, yet they still aired.  Why did they skip seasons 5-11 and 13-16?  I realize they think everyone loves the original Vegas season but Key West & Denver?  Makes no sense.

MTV Classic is a giant let down.

• Love 3

I wouldn't be surprised if NOLA (the good one) was released on the day of Mardi Gras.

If so, then "C'mon Be My Baby Tonight" should be the official anthem of this year's Mardi Gras.

Of course, I'm assuming you meant NOLA 1.0 when you say the "good one" ;)

• Love 1
On 10/13/2016 at 11:40 AM, heatherchandler said:

Where are these recaps???  I love to read recaps.

They're about the Challenge. I post links on the forum for that.

Anybody watching Denver marathon right now?

• Love 2

I just turned on the Denver season right now thanks to this post. I have no idea why as I didn't even like it the first time around.

Speaking of, I'm obsessed with this article ranking the Real World seasons (thru 2013), and Denver is dead last:

"Even the most loathsome casts (Miami, Hawaii, Austin, for Pete's sake) build friendships, animosities, some kind of compelling reason to watch them be terrible. The Denver cast members felt like they barely ever met each other. The Colie-Alex-Jenn 'triangle' was barely interesting enough to them. Musclebound gay dude Davis used the N-word in an argument with Tyrie and it still managed to be a nonevent."

And now Brooke is crying because the rest of the cast called her out for her use of the word "ghetto". LULZ.

• Love 1

Miami and Hawaii had loathsome casts? Who could hate Sarah and Cynthia? Back when I was running March Madness-style tourneys on TWoP, I had a big one for RW, and those two reached the finals with Cynthia prevailing. And she wasn't anywhere near the threesome when it happened!

SBP remembers Denver. While I'm thinking about it . . . has there been any season that would have warranted 28 episodes?

Any word as to which season MTV Classic will run (into the ground) next?

Who could hate Sarah and Cynthia?

Me! Ok, I didn't hate them, but I did find them annoying, especially Sarah. Granted, Miami and Hawaii weren't the most likeable casts overall, but they were still fun seasons to watch. Though Miami is maybe my least favorite season from the 90s.

Edited by AndySmith

It's funny, I watched the Denver season the first time it aired.  And yet I had forgotten the whole season. I caught a few episodes of the marathon and man, that season sucked.

Brooke was a spoiled nightmare and Davis was a mean-spirited gossip.  Don't remember much about Colie except that we used to call her "E Coli" on message boards.

• Love 2