Type keyword(s) to search

House Hunters International - General Discussion

• Start Topic

What aggravated me about the Chicago to Amsterdam couple was their complete lack of knowledge about how a budget works. (A) Set one that's realistic (e.g. Go with $2k instead of $1900) and (B) Don't say you're "saving" money when you go with the one that is over your budget by $100. Just because you didn't get the one that was $350 more doesn't mean you are saving  $250. No, you're still spending more than you wanted and there is no "extra" $250 to spend on traveling. For a couple of CPAs, they sure aren't money-smart.

• Love 2

Some countries have lengthy quarantine requirements, up to six months (which of course this show never mentions). Maybe the most recent Budapest HHs felt that the quarantine would be detrimental to their dog and decided that placing him/her in a good home in the US would be the better option.

• Love 7
48 minutes ago, chocolatine said:

Some countries have lengthy quarantine requirements, up to six months (which of course this show never mentions). Maybe the most recent Budapest HHs felt that the quarantine would be detrimental to their dog and decided that placing him/her in a good home in the US would be the better option.

Definitely!  I think it's kinder to the animal to not take it overseas and put it in quarantine.

• Love 6

Also we know we're rarely getting the real story from most on HHI.  A red flag for me that there's "more to the story" is when they talk about sacrifices.  To me that often indicates they are moving because of job loss in the home country not because they want to "experience the culture" someplace else.  If the real reason for a move comes down to money I can see where taking a pet along might be problematic.

Edited by BlossomCulp
  • Love 3
5 hours ago, sempervivum said:

Am I the only one who thought that village in Ecuador was completely depressing? I thought the view from above made it look like a shanty town (except for the beautiful ocean, of course). I was pretty sure that just off camera, there were streets full of starving dogs and beggars . The properties sure were cheap, though!

You mean when she was looking out the window and said something like “Look at all the cute little houses?”... yes I noticed!  The shacks were not “cute” ... Different place, different standard of living. But that certainly wasn’t the best part of town. 

• Love 3

Well, the pet requirements for Hungary are:  1. microchip or tattoo, 2. valid rabies vaccination/certificate, 3. health certificate from vet (per bringfido.com).  So, not a huge requirement.  Even Britain, which used to have the six-month quarantine rule, has a similar policy (again, I looked into it as soon as I applied for a job in London [which, grrrr, I did not get...]).  Also, that size dog (it was a French Bulldog) could fly in the passenger cabin for an additional fee (wouldn't have to go into the cargo hold).  It's good to remember that we don't get the full story and I get that.  However, as with any reality show, all we are shown is what we, as viewers, get to base our opinions around which is what I'm doing.  They stated it was a sacrifice and they could have easily stated due to the dog's health, etc.  

• Love 2

Anyone think the Dallas to Budapest couple is still in Budapest?  I never knew there was such a market for internet English teachers until this show.  How many people have we seen on this show who are in the same line of work?  I got the idea this was a short term move.  I did laugh about the toilet room in the first apartment.  It certainly was not built for a person with long legs.  Although I reran the scene several times, I still could not understand what the realtor was calling the small utility closet in the bathroom of one of the apartments (maybe the one they chose?).  It had a door as well as a curtain, so the likelihood of being able to hear your neighbors was slim.  Some of those old buildings have beautiful floors and high ceilings. 

• Love 4

Yeah, what was that little room off the bathroom where he wondered if the neighbors would hear him?  

And I can’t see how an average sized person could fit in that little toilet room!

really enjoyed seeing Hungary though!  

• Love 3

Yeah I doubt that the internet English teachers are still in Budapest. They were pleasant enough but they seemed like they were just trying out living there for a little while, not long term. I didn't see the beginning so didn't hear about leaving their dog behind. That first apartment was quite seedy looking I thought. The huge garbage cans filled with garbage right in the lobby would have turned me off immediately. I wondered how often they're emptied and whose responsibility it is. Also, in winter/bad weather, if the garbage couldn't be picked up, wouldn't the lobby start to smell? Ok so I overthought this one at lot lol. And was there graffiti or some kinda writing on the wall of the balcony of that place? Just odd, like that toilet cubicle with the door that couldn't close once you're sitting on the toilet. 

• Love 3

Ecuador: what a couple of morons. Who decides to move to a beachfront community when they're afraid of the ocean and tsunamis? Did the wife know how ridiculous she sounded? And he was no better. Plus, all the bickering was uncomfortable to watch.

On 4/27/2018 at 10:47 PM, laredhead said:

I did enjoy the animation of the giant squid snatching the fisherman off the beach when they showed the maps of each place they looked at. 

Shoot. I wasn't paying attention. I love the maps. 

Hungary: I found them a little annoying, but I liked the apartment they got, even though they complained about neighbors having to pass their windows on the common walkway.

Spain: This couple was relatively low drama, although the husband got a little annoying with his complaint about close neighbors.

Do these people not understand how apartments work? I'm househunting myself, mostly looking at co-ops, and I know that I will have to deal with neighbors that are basically on top of me and who will pass in front of my windows. That's why they make curtains and drapes. 

• Love 5
23 hours ago, seacliffsal said:

At the beginning of the episode the narrator spoke about how they had to change their lives and make sacrifices in order to move and they mentioned that they had to "get rid of their beloved dog."

You don't "get rid" of a "beloved dog" for convenience.  You don't get rid of any living creature just because it's convenient. That "sacrifice" was for their own selfish reasons and it was the dog that suffered.  Unless I was in the military and had no other option than to leave any animal behind (and there are people like me that sign up to take them in for the deployment period) there are few acceptable excuses for that kind of behavior.  Beloved my ass.

• Love 4
On 4/28/2018 at 4:37 PM, laredhead said:

Anyone think the Dallas to Budapest couple is still in Budapest?

I don't know but I did notice a mistake with the voiceover.  She said that the couple moved from Budapest to Dallas instead of from Dallas to Budapest.

• Love 3
(edited)
6 hours ago, Ohwell said:

And on a shallow note, Budapest woman was in serious need of some Proactiv for her skin.

So was Freiburg woman 

Edited by magemaud
(edited)
14 hours ago, rlc said:

Freiburg: Run, Gordon, run!

Gordon was adorable. And seemed so nice. But his girlfriend, that voice, that laugh, that attitude. Could barely watch but wanted to see more of Gordon. No wonder she’s worried about being together longer than 90 days! Maybe it was just camera nerves. Hope she’s nicer in person. He must like her for some reason.  

And the place they chose...that “kitchen” is smallest I’ve ever seen. They must eat out a lot. 

Edited by IrishImport
Typo
  • Love 8

Freiburg girl- it's crazy, but it's so rare to see anyone with bad skin on this show that I was totally distracted. She looked like a burn victim; I mean, it's her call, but you're going to be on a very popular TV show, a little concealer would be nice. 

• Love 2
On 4/29/2018 at 10:57 AM, Kohola3 said:

You don't "get rid" of a "beloved dog" for convenience.  You don't get rid of any living creature just because it's convenient. That "sacrifice" was for their own selfish reasons and it was the dog that suffered.  Unless I was in the military and had no other option than to leave any animal behind (and there are people like me that sign up to take them in for the deployment period) there are few acceptable excuses for that kind of behavior.  Beloved my ass.

I'm in the camp that immediately hated (yes, hated) these people for abandoning their dog.  Yes, I know (think!) they didn't literally leave it in the street alone, but even re-homing a pet (beloved? yeah, right!) just so they can be international jet-setters (haha) is no excuse.  When someone adopts an animal, it's a lifelong (for the pet) commitment.  I would never, ever, ever do what they did.  Hate them.  

• Love 4
4 hours ago, IrishImport said:

Gordon was adorable. And seemed so nice. But his girlfriend, that voice, that laugh, that attitude. Could barely watch but wanted to see more of Gordon. No wonder she’s worried about being together longer than 90 days! Maybe it was just camera nerves. Hope she’s nicer in person. He must like her for some reason.

I also wondered about camera nerves. Either that or she's really that awkward. I also got the vibe that she likes him more than he likes her.

Remember when Gordon explained the meaning of falling into one of the street canals—that you'll marry a Freiburger? Looked like she was tempted to fall in after he said that. So awkward (again!)

• Love 4
13 hours ago, Ohwell said:

And on a shallow note, Freiburg woman was in serious need of some Proactiv for her skin.

As someone with Rosacea, I emphasize. I have a topical cream that helps once I've taken antibiotics to get it under control. I mentioned to my dermatologist that stress seems to bring outbreaks. His response - absolutely.

• Love 3

Did Gordon say what he was going to school for? Freiburg has a very good university (I almost did a second masters' degree there), so I'm wondering what necessitates having him go to school an hour away. While I think the girlfriend was selfish to make him do all the driving, I wonder why he can't commute by train. Germany has an excellent public transit system, and even small towns get hourly train service. The train wouldn't take much longer than driving, and he could sleep or study during the commute. And I have to agree with the girlfriend that living in Freiburg gives them more to do. If I had a choice between living in a lively city with a longer commute, or a sleepy village with a shorter commute, I'd choose the city. 

• Love 2
3 minutes ago, chocolatine said:

While I think the girlfriend was selfish to make him do all the driving, I wonder why he can't commute by train. Germany has an excellent public transit system, and even small towns get hourly train service. The train wouldn't take much longer than driving, and he could sleep or study during the commute. And I have to agree with the girlfriend that living in Freiburg gives them more to do. If I had a choice between living in a lively city with a longer commute, or a sleepy village with a shorter commute, I'd choose the city. 

We had too little information but I thought her position that they should live in Freiburg was perhaps more practical than they let on.  If they live in between, they might need two cars which could be costly.  Of course, if there are trains, they could both commute but going out on the town would be difficult if they didn't choose one city or the other. (Not that we know what the other town is since they didn't even look at an apartment where he went to school.)  Another thing to consider is that he might not go to school every day.  The commute might be 45 minutes but one he only does a few days a week as opposed to her every day job.

• Love 4
10 hours ago, chessiegal said:

As someone with Rosacea, I emphasize. I have a topical cream that helps once I've taken antibiotics to get it under control. I mentioned to my dermatologist that stress seems to bring outbreaks. His response - absolutely.

I hope you meant "empathize."

• Love 1
On 5/1/2018 at 4:57 PM, slasherboy said:

I'm in the camp that immediately hated (yes, hated) these people for abandoning their dog.  Yes, I know (think!) they didn't literally leave it in the street alone, but even re-homing a pet (beloved? yeah, right!) just so they can be international jet-setters (haha) is no excuse.  When someone adopts an animal, it's a lifelong (for the pet) commitment.  I would never, ever, ever do what they did.  Hate them.  

I won't get into judging them on their motives, but I disagree about re-homing a dog to another loving home.  I had a boyfriend long ago and his ex-wife in another state got engaged, and the new fiancee didn't want their son's dog and wanted to put it to sleep. (Now that was terrible!)  I drove to that state to take the dog until their son was able to move and live with his father and take the dog back.  I adored that dog and totally spoiled her... and she was happy as could be with me.   I had her for about a year and a half, and then she went to live with my boyfriend and his son, and although I was broken-hearted, she was still happy to have kind, loving people taking care of her.

• Love 7

Freiburg woman was annoying. If she didn’t want to compromise on their first apartment together to make it doable for him, I’m not sure moving in together is going to work out very well!  And they both looked in need of a good hair washing. 

• Love 1
(edited)
On 4/26/2018 at 6:33 PM, IrishImport said:

I liked the guys looking to start a B&B in Tuscany too. But I had to laugh when the realtor said it was only a 10 minute walk to that beautiful hilltop town. Only if you’re a mountain goat. 

Friends and I rented a villa in Sant’ Albino, the town where they didn’t buy the last house because it was too far from Montepulciano. I had to laugh when they claimed the place they bought, which looks like it’s at the bottom of the mountain, was a ten minute walk to town. Even in a car, it was a steep climb and I can’t imagine anyone walking up or down  that road. 

Edited by magemaud
  • Love 1
(edited)

Texas newlyweds moving to London.  The very young wife so annoying.  "Notting Hill, charm, Notting Hill, charm, Notting Hill, lather-rinse-repeat ..."  Ugh.

Edited by Thumper
  • Love 16
1 hour ago, Thumper said:

Texas newlyweds moving to London.  The very young wife so annoying.  "Notting Hill, charm, Notting Hill, charm, Notting Hill, lather-rinse-repeat ..."  Ugh.

Truly one of the worst, expecting ‘London charm’ on a tight budget.  Heck, she complained about using metric settings on the oven!   So whiney!  Not sure why she thought a basement studio was so  fab  just because it was in a more expensive neighborhood. And the ‘charming’ fireplace that she had to have was obviously not usable, so who cares? She came across as very snobby and, at the end, was so self congratulatory for being so terribly brave in moving ‘halfway around the world’ to London!

• Love 14
5 hours ago, magemaud said:

She was annoying, but we were treated to RICHARD and his great snarky comments! 

Hey, he was ready to ‘tear his hair out’ in frustration over their demands. Love him!

• Love 13

Texas Newlyweds to London:

I’m usually pretty good at reminding myself that the person I’m seeing on the show isn’t necessarily what she/he is like IRL, that much of what they’re saying is producer-driven. But it was REALLY hard to do with that woman. Oh my goodness, was she annoying.

The first apartment had the most space and should have been fine. Granted, being next to a schoolyard might not be the best place for someone working from home, but I suspect that would not have been an issue if the apt was next to a school in her precious Notting Hill. She was just determined to find something wrong with the place because it was in the wrong neighborhood. A non-working fireplace, 2 steps down into the kitchen, no London charm in the kitchen. No, no, and no, complete with her shaking her head. I liked the studio also. It was cute and perfectly large enough for a couple. Over budget, but just eat out less. At least they’re both working. The Accountant and his Princess should be just fine.

• Love 7

2 steps down into the kitchen

OMG! Now not only do we have to worry about children falling to their deaths off of a few steps, grown adults are susceptible too! She literally described going down two steps as "dangerous".  For real.  Dangerous. 

And the ‘charming’ fireplace that she had to have was obviously not usable, so who cares? 

I immediately laughed at that too.

1 hour ago, cecehe said:

Was there any closet space in the flat they chose? 

I didn't see any!  When they were standing in the kitchen, there was a set of metal bars there.  I wonder if that's where you'd hang your clothes??

• Love 8

London couple- I couldn't believe this 'princess' claimed she had to (martyred sigh) be forced into moving-temporarily-from LUBBOCK TEXAS to LONDON! Oh the humanity.

They could have purchased one of those Victorian cast iron mini-fireplace surrounds at one of the many, many collectible dealers in London, and propped it up in one of the other, cheaper places, since that seemed to be the only thing in the studio that she actually considered 'charm'.

Hubby was cute and had a nice dry sense of humor.

• Love 11

Notting Hill nitwit seemed to be one who wanted to be able to tell people that she lived in Notting Hill, just like she wanted to tell all her friends in Lubbock that she had a big house in Dallas. She did not put her best foot forward, and seemed more shallow than sophisticated.

I wonder, when people get a unique "opportunity" to go overseas for a job, just how long they'd unsuccessfully been job hunting in the US beforehand. In this case, I doubt that the husband was getting paid much, considering his budget, and I would think if the company were subsidizing him at all, he would have had been able to afford a better place. I've a feeling that that the purchase of that big house in Dallas was not at all imminent and wasn't put on the back burner because of his landing this job in England. 

• Love 7
(edited)

We are going to London in July and I want to look her up so I can kick her ass. I promise y'all, not everyone in Texas is this ridiculous. She embarrasses me. Oh, and I want to take Richard out for drinks.....many drinks! ?

Edited by Spunkygal
  • Love 14

The Texas woman was yet another whiny wife who has been ripped from her homeland to be dragged across the ocean to a foreign country.  Oh good grief, get over your princess self I kept yelling at the TV.  Embrace the experience, and realize you could have been sent to someplace less desirable.  If I heard Notting Hill one more time I was going to throw up.  

A couple of things - don't try to navigate those kitchen stairs in 4" shoes.  Wear something more sensible and problem solved.  In the first apartment she went on and on about both of them not being able to be in the bathroom to get ready in the morning at the same time.  She works from home!  She can get ready anytime.  She doesn't have to be in there with her husband at the same time.  Someone upthread said she wouldn't have complained about the school yard at the first place if the address had been in Nottingham, and they are correct.  This woman goes into my top ten list of the HHI most whiny women.

There was a small cabinet in the room where the fold down bed was located.  Nowhere near the size of the closet in the 3rd one, and probably about the size of the storage unit in the first one.

• Love 13

The funny/sad thing about Princess Notting HIll is that I'd bet good money the only thing she knows about the area is what she saw in the movie.  She probably imagines herself standing in front of Hugh Grant.   

• Love 20
(edited)
3 hours ago, Ohwell said:

The funny/sad thing about Princess Notting HIll is that I'd bet good money the only thing she knows about the area is what she saw in the movie.  She probably imagines herself standing in front of Hugh Grant.   

I thought the same thing; and/or it was the only part of London that her nitwit Texas friends would recognize, other than Buckingham Palace; so she had to live there so they could be jealous.  I’ve never been to Lubbock, but I’ve been to London many times and would jump at the chance to live there myself.

Edited by doodlebug
  • Love 10
1 hour ago, Ohwell said:

This x 1000! Notting Hill in and of itself isn't that special other than having a silly rom-com named after it. There are many neighborhoods in Northwest London that are just as "charming" but cheaper.  

• Love 12
4 hours ago, laredhead said:

she went on and on about both of them not being able to be in the bathroom to get ready in the morning at the same time.  She works from home! 

I caught that, too.  My main regret was that Richard the agent didn't eat them alive with the snark.

• Love 12
32 minutes ago, Babalooie said:

I caught that, too.  My main regret was that Richard the agent didn't eat them alive with the snark.

I wish one of these days, we'd get an extended version with behind the scenes commentary from Richard concerning the caliber of clients he deals with on this show.  I'd pay to watch that.

• Love 14
13 minutes ago, doodlebug said:

I wish one of these days, we'd get an extended version with behind the scenes commentary from Richard concerning the caliber of clients he deals with on this show.  I'd pay to watch that.

Maybe he'll write a tell-all book.

• Love 10
On 5/1/2018 at 5:52 PM, nanometer said:

I also wondered about camera nerves. Either that or she's really that awkward. I also got the vibe that she likes him more than he likes her.

Remember when Gordon explained the meaning of falling into one of the street canals—that you'll marry a Freiburger? Looked like she was tempted to fall in after he said that. So awkward (again!)

On 5/1/2018 at 10:20 PM, chessiegal said:

Aw, I kind of liked the girlfriend in Germany. I think she was nervous, sure, but I also think she's generally socially awkward. Her skin was bad, but as someone who has rosacea too (currently it's in remission) it didn't look like a typical rosacea rash. 

I didn't like the apartment they chose, with the teeny-tiny kitchen.

Portugal couple: The wife was really annoying at first, especially when she kept going on and on about the slanted ceilings in the first house. Not that she wasn't right, but know when to shut up about something. And every time she mentioned about the kids destroying the antique furniture, I wanted to shout at her to teach the kids to respect where they lived. I couldn't believe the housing prices.

Mexico: I may have whined "No" out loud when the couple rejected the amazing high-rise apartment. I get why they did, but it was absolutely stunning. The view (especially down at the pool) freaked me out a little, but overall, it was gorgeous. I thought the wife (as usual) was being selfish with her attitude of "maybe the kids will like a 30-minute walk to school."

• Love 1