Type keyword(s) to search

House Hunters International - General Discussion

• Start Topic

(edited)

I enjoy the episodes set in Mexico, probably because I only know generalities about it, since my neck of the woods has so many immigrants from so many areas of the world that Mexicans are just another group without the onus they seem to have in some of the southwestern states.  The views seem beautiful, the food looks tasty and the buildings are interesting.  Give me an old colonial in Merida and I'm there - lol.

I remember really liking the housing in Loreto Bay in Baja California.  The first episode set there had stressed the green/renewable energy living of the project that the developers were hoping to accomplish.  I follow a few of the blogs from the residents in the area and was interested to find out that the project's developers went bankrupt when the financial crash happened and all that planned construction came to a halt.  A lot of the people who had bought in there seemed to be snow birds from the Northwest and from Canada.   I wondered how that HGTV young family (originally from California, IIRC) made out after that.  I think that the project is now on its second or third developer but I don't think that the "green" aspect of it has been fully realized.  There were other housing developments in the area too.  The last time they had an episode set in that area it looked as though things were picking up a bit.

Edited by DownTheShore

I enjoy the episodes set in Mexico, probably because I only know generalities about it, since my neck of the woods has so many immigrants from so many areas of the world that Mexicans are just another group without the onus they seem to have in some of the southwestern states.  The views seem beautiful, the food looks tasty and the buildings are interesting.  Give me an old colonial in Merida and I'm there - lol.

I was in Merida last summer, and met a couple whose house was on HHI. They were not on the show, as the producers deemed that they were "too old" (I think they were in their 50's). Their friend was the person who was house hunting. Funnily enough, I had met the friend a few days before, as we had wandered into her store (she sells cool furniture and accessories). The couple did appear in the show, at the requisite party scene at the end. They did renovate the home, and apparently, it's beautiful.

• Love 2

That rings a bell with me and that episode was sometime back!  They were the couple at the standard party with the 2 guys, right?

That was the thing about the Punta Mita episode - none of those places had that Merida colonial type charm.  The one house they showed was sort of a dump and one of the condos felt sad, too.  It was old and needed a reno but they took it - beach access.  That works if you're up to manage a reno long-distance.  (It was a vacay house for the HH's.)

I liked that one episode set in Mexico where the people chose that condo in a tall thin building on the beach where they had the entire floor to themselves.  They were dithering about it, IIRC, because the husband didn't like the white tile floors, saying that dirt would show on it easily.  I mean, they were on their fourth floor, I think.  How much dirt was going to survive on their shoes from the outside up to that point?

-----

To anyone who's lived abroad - why does it take so much more time for remodeling to take place there?  I'm thinking about some of those "where are they now" episodes where it's taking years to complete work.  Is it just that they hire a local guy who does all the work himself and doesn't hire subcontracting crews?  It can't be a matter of getting general building supplies in the majority of the instances.

Many areas of the world work on "island time" - it gets done eventually.  There was a show that featured Brian Boitano trying to renovate a house long distance and he ran into several delays even though he was working with a local contractor and had inside connections.  There probably isn't a local Home Depot of Lowe's within a few miles of most of these properties.  The reruns of Where Are They now have been on this past week and it was fun to see the finished products.  

• Love 1
(edited)

Loved Brian Boitano's show. That was great to watch. I also enjoyed Where Are They Now last week. I hadn't seen two of the episodes.

I'm watching the episode in Stuttgart. I really dislike the wife. She's talking about wanting a goat and chicken and talking like she hates the city. Did I misunderstand something or did they not move from Portland, Oregon? Were they living off the land two hours outside of Portland or something? She didn't make a ton of sense. She doesn't know people, doesn't speak German, his business would benefit from being located near the city, but she wants to be obstinate and live in the countryside where she's further away from people and activities? I feel like I missed something. Did I? It sounded to me like they'd been living in the city of Portland and she was working as a teacher, so her sudden aversion to city life felt strange.

Edited by JasmineFlower
  • Love 1

I saw one the other night, where an Australian couple with 2 kids, were moving to Italy.
They'd lived there a few years back, and left, and this time he said they'd burned their bridges, or something to that effect/
What I missed, was why they were doing this, and also, how did they plan to live.
They had some chickens, and I think a few cows, but I don't think that would support anyone.
I do give them credit for being the least picky people I've seen in a long time.
They were willing to fix up, and the after pictures showed that they didn't require much luxury.

In the beginning of the episode, it was mentioned the Australian couple were experienced renovators.  I loved that episode, it had all my favorite elements:  an area I'm not that familiar with; house hunters that aren't complete and utter assholes; an appealing real estate agent; and finally, we got a chance to see some renovations.

• Love 2

The Australian couple to Italy episode was wonderful.  I laughed every time each of them walked into a room and said a little paint and some electrical was all it needed.  Some the young, entitled American buyers on HH should take note that granite countertops and stainless appliances are not necessities, in a place where a single bare lightbulb hanginf from the ceiling is the "chandelier".  They seemed very happy with their choice of houses.  I do agree with them that a visit to the bathroom in the winter in a few of the houses would be a bracing experience since you had to walk outside to access it.  Not exactly an outhouse situation, but an odd location.

• Love 1

I really liked the couple moving to Stuttgart.  I think her reservations about the house in the city were that it didn't have any outdoor space for their fairly large dog and it only had 2 bedrooms so his office would need to double as a guest room.  On the map, it looked like the house they chose was very near to his parents and this may have made her more comfortable to have someone she knew close by.  They didn't say where in Portland they lived, it could have been the suburbs where she was used to a large yard for the dog and a garden.  The house they chose actually had a greenhouse in the backyard and it looked like gardening was something she and her father-in-law had in common.  I wish they would have shown the kitchen in the after shots - the before scenes just had an empty shell and I was wondering what kind of kitchen they would put in.

That guy, while seemingly a good husband and father, was such a surfing cliche, wasn't he?  That dyed blonde hair!  Are people supposed to think that was sun-bleached?

And what's with the complaints about 6 or 15 minute walks to the beach?  I mean, isn't he going to physically exerting himself in the water for hours?  The walk is going to kill him, though?

• Love 2

I have on the HHI episode with the couple from San Francisco who are moving to Ecuador.

Another couple who talk about "building their relationship".  Is it just me, or does that phrase depress the rest of you as much as it does me?  So few of them seem to be able to say plainly that they love each other.  Instead, they treat it as some sort of process that can be managed and organized.  It's like it's some sort of Lego construct.

We were surprised at the Ecuador couples modest budget. He's in international law and they only have a $350.00 budget? Pretty crappy pay. But I did like the place they chose even if the colors were a bit much for me.

The Ecuador couple mentioned a million times that they were volunteering and living on their savings.

I know a lawyer that practices international Law and has tons of money.

And who just brings in a total stranger as a room mate with a married couple.  Sorry, but if you can't afford to rent or buy a property, maybe it's the real estate gods telling you that it's not a good move.  And I might be wrong, but didn't the Equador couple say they didn't speak Spanish?  OK, so how are you going to do whatever if you don't speak the language? 

• Love 1

If I hear one more HHInternational say "we want to stay within budget TO WHERE we can afford to travel....", I will... Well I don't know what I'll do, but it's crazy-making.   What the Hell kind of grammar is that?  The expression you are looking for is "so that" or even "in order to".  

• Love 3

He spoke Spanish and she knew Spanish but was more comfortable with it in written form. Slos, the roommate wasn't a total stranger he worked with the dude.

Yeah, but still.  Who wants an unrelated third person underfoot all the time, when you're having your "foreign adventure"?

I couldn't help but wonder if she would have been so agreeable to having a female roommate around instead - lol.

If I hear one more HHInternational say "we want to stay within budget TO WHERE we can afford to travel....", I will... Well I don't know what I'll do, but it's crazy-making.   What the Hell kind of grammar is that?  The expression you are looking for is "so that" or even "in order to".  

I ignore the poor grammar but am always curious how they plan to travel anywhere on their whopping $100/month (or whatever) savings.

• Love 3

I think they soon find that their travel budgets are just as unrealistic as their housing budgets are.

============

I was watching one of the episodes the other day where the family with two boys moved to Costa Rica, I think it was, because they wanted a different life for their children, when actually what they want is a different lifestyle for themselves

I always wonder what the children's opinion of that move is, as they grow older.  Kids are resilient and can usually flourish anywhere if their home life is safe and loving, but I wonder if being conversant in another language and culture gives them an advantage over their peers, if their opportunities are broadened or lessened?  Are they actually in the local country's school system, or are they going to one of those International Schools, and if so, then how much of a part of the local culture are they, really?

• Love 1

Saw the repeat of the Ulan Bator one with the sweet Canadian guy in the odd glasses who works in micro-finance.  I still can't believe that he chose that dump to live in.  That bathroom setup alone would have been a no-go for me.  And if it is so easy to get a roommate from the ex-pat community, then $750/mo split two ways wouldn't break anyone's bank - AND he could have gotten two bathrooms, the dishwasher and the washing machine, and the balconies.

Some people I'll just never understand.

• Love 2

Saw the repeat of the Ulan Bator one with the sweet Canadian guy in the odd glasses who works in micro-finance.  I still can't believe that he chose that dump to live in.  That bathroom setup alone would have been a no-go for me.  And if it is so easy to get a roommate from the ex-pat community, then $750/mo split two ways wouldn't break anyone's bank - AND he could have gotten two bathrooms, the dishwasher and the washing machine, and the balconies.

Some people I'll just never understand.

Never saw this one 'til tonight, so it wasn't a repeat for me, but like you, I would have easily chosen the second apartment, too! From what was said, things like a dishwasher are rare in Mongolia, so there's that perk. And the layout - including the bathroom - was just so much better. I'm sure the guy could have still gotten a roommate in plenty of time. The one he did choose with the toilet in a separate room from the tub and sink? And so shabby? Pass, thanks.

On a side note, his glasses sort of reminded me when Elton John (not a huge fan, but like some songs) would wear some weird eye wear, too.

Saw one set in Paris featuring the only Parisian realtor on earth, Adrian Leeds. LOL.  I like Adrian, she always manages to dig up some interesting apartments.

Didn't that home buyer say that she's been coming to Paris for 20 years or so on vacation?  Yet she hasn't mastered the French language?  At least she resisted getting the teenie-tiniest apartment in the oldest building in Paris even though it was unique. (One of the first things I would have changed would have been to install a tankless water heater; that would have freed up space in the bathroom area.)

If I was buying a place in Paris, I still think that I would always pick space over a single, choice arrondissement.

• Love 1

For me, it would depend.  If a vacation home - which I'd never buy for a variety of reasons, but go with me here - I'd be all about the arrondissement (I have a particular affinity for staying in the sixth, but there are many that float my boat).  For a relocation rental situation of a few years, location would remain a heavy factor.  But for long-term residence, I would definitely try to strike a balance between a desirable location and a bit more breathing room (and I say this as someone who thinks American homes are generally oversized ... yet lives in 1600 sq. ft. because that's how things worked out).

Edited by Bastet
  • Love 1

When she was looking at the apartment that she eventually bought, she said the bathroom was so small it was like in an RV or a cruise ship bathroom. After she was all moved in, they never mentioned how she liked the bathroom. For being such a francophile I am surprised she wasn't fluent in French. Anyway she really was not too bad as far as these HHI's go.  I didn't quite understand how buying the apartment had anything to do with her mother dying, unless she got a big inheritance to buy it with!

• Love 1

I just watched an episode about a delightful couple from England who wanted to retire on the island of Rhodes off the coast of Greece.  They made a good choice, but what bothered me (and always bothers me in the International episodes) is that they were discussing American dollars.  Why can't they talk about the currency of the country and just show the dollar equivalent on the screen?  It just adds to the phoniness.

It's aimed at the American audience, which is relatively ignorant about foreign currencies and exchange rates.  I think it's more laughable than phoney, especially when only one or none of the troika (renting/buying couple & realtor) speaks unaccented American English.

When she was looking at the apartment that she eventually bought, she said the bathroom was so small it was like in an RV or a cruise ship bathroom. After she was all moved in, they never mentioned how she liked the bathroom. For being such a francophile I am surprised she wasn't fluent in French. Anyway she really was not too bad as far as these HHI's go.  I didn't quite understand how buying the apartment had anything to do with her mother dying, unless she got a big inheritance to buy it with!

I was thinking that she must have gotten an inheritance, too, which was why she kept mentioning her mother.  Perhaps to give credit where credit's due in a subtle way, when her relatives watch the episode so she doesn't get any snide remarks later?  It didn't really seem to have much relevance to the situation, otherwise.

I, too, marveled that she could continue visiting France for TWELVE YEARS and still not speak French. I wanted to give her the benefit of the doubt and think that maybe she just wasn't familiar with French words that would be used when buying an apartment versus day to day French (mostly food, colors, directions, etc) but then I saw her taking a cooking class in English and I thought dude, this girl seems like she barely speaks any French at all!

I think that the show wanted me to believe her mother's death had given her this carpe diem epiphany but the feeling I got was "mom died and I inherited a chunk of money so I'm buying a place in Paris!"

I just watched the episode where the couple from South Carolina moved to Ansbach, Germany. It was really obvious throughout the entire episode that this was all the husband's doing and the wife was not very happy about moving. Whenever they showed the side by side interviews, her face looked so disappointed whenever he was talking, like she could barely hide how upset she was about leaving her hometown.

Like others here have said, it's so annoying when these people talk about how they have to stay under budget so they can travel and then they just barely squeak underneath their budget. This family said their maximum for rent was $1500. The real estate lady showed them places for $1400, $1200, and $1500. They decided to go with the $1400 one so they would have more money to travel. So you're willing to give up that third bedroom you were going on and on about for $100? Where are the grandparents going to stay when they visit?

• Love 2

I agree that the wife of the South Carolina to Ansbach, Germany couple did not look or sound happy about moving to Germany.  She had never lived anywhere other than her small town in South Carolina and both sets of parents lived there.  She was happy with her job, her big house, and private yard and she even said several times she didn't know how she would handle being a stay at home mother.  Wonder how that bicycle ride is going to feel in the dead of winter when there's snow or cold rain coming down?  Their choices were all pretty nice and the kitchens were very modern looking.  Why can't kitchens like that be built in more new houses here in America without being called custom and costing a fortune?  

• Love 3

Lived all over Germany when I was in the military. The best place was Wuerzberg, the worse was Ansbach. I was happy to leave  when the Mayor at the time was running for reelection on an anti- American platform. It was not a friendly community. The best part about living there were the bus/train system. Rarely used my car during the week, would use it sometime on the weekend or picking up groceries.  When I lived there the first time in the early 80's, my landlady was still mourning for her brother who was a German soldier who died during WW2. One night when I was over at her house, she insisted on showing me his uniform- his SS uniform. Pure evil. I can't say that I ever felt welcome, or comfortable with my neighbors while living there. I felt bad for the HH wife, she's going to feel very isolated there.

• Love 1

@Patrizio, I know what you are talking about. I was a young Navy wife in the early 70's and we lived/were stationed in Italy for about a year. The locals liked what the Americans brought economically but it was clear that we were also resented like crazy. I was once told it wasn't fair that I could go on the base with my military ID and they couldn't.

I call a bit of shenanigans on the woman moving to Paris. The French words we did hear her say were spoken in quite a good accent. I think she speaks better than the show wanted us to believe and they dumbed her down for a storyline.

I liked the Parisian HH alot. I always enjoy that realtor. Makes sense to me to get a small place instead of staying in a hotel room. Also, you can trade with friends who have a beach or mountain places, which I'm sure she has. I would rather  have a small place in the midst of the action than at the outskirts if I'm only there now and then.I got the feeling that there was an inheritance from Mom-who knows maybe her Mom said get a place in Paris!

I saw the Easter Island episode mentioned a few pages back.  Boy what a beautiful island!  I LOVE when they go to places they've never gone to before.  I love seeing the different cultures.  It was surprising that that didn't end up with any of the houses and just stayed with her family.  I googled him and he's a pretty successful tour operator.  He has great reviews on Trip Advisor.  Their little boy was adorable!

Agree, I believed the last Paris house hunter probably knew conversational French.  Because they never said that her mother had expressed a desire for her to buy a place in Paris, I assumed she probably received an inheritance.  Tptb never developed that plotline, IMHO.

Everyone assume she'd installed that blue kitchen?  That was our guess as soon as they showed it during the first tour.

==========

Agree, we'd like to have HHI use the house hunters' local currencies.  During the first few seasons (can't remember when they stopped, exactly) of HHI, they actually did and simply placed a conversion banner on the screen.  Perhaps that was too tough for the editing intern to handle. 

Edited by BearCat49

@Patrizio, I know what you are talking about. I was a young Navy wife in the early 70's and we lived/were stationed in Italy for about a year. The locals liked what the Americans brought economically but it was clear that we were also resented like crazy. I was once told it wasn't fair that I could go on the base with my military ID and they couldn't.

That's kind of how it still is. At least the Vicenza one. There are locals who appreciate the economic aspect but there are others who sneer at and protest a foreign base on their soil and the general "Merika"-ness of the base population. I won't go into detail about the guy, who, with a straight face told me how his wife (also Italian) worked for the base and was enjoying the pension but "really it would be better if it didn't even exist."

I have an alternative theory for the woman who moved to Paris after her mother died.  Perhaps it's relevant to the story line because she was personally caring for her mother or was at least responsible for her care?   It's hard to move or change your life in any way under those circumstances.  Perhaps she's making a major change now simply because she always wanted to and is free to now -- with or without an inheritance.  Possibly her mother always wanted to go to Paris and she's fulfilling a dream of hers in a way?  And there's that whole "mortality" realization we all undergo when our parents pass.  Anyway, that's a more plausible plot than most we hear on this show!

Felt very sorry for the pianist leaving NYC because his Greek wife wanted to live with her family.  A few throw pillows won't save his bum!

Edited by cassaundroll
  • Love 2

OMG the most annoying Househunter...Jamie the wife of the military guy being transferred to Sicily.  She had a stick up her ass definitely.   "I NEED to have a dishwasher!!!"  "But there's no pool".  What a bitchface.

• Love 1

Ha! I knew that woman in Wellington would

end up keeping her sublet. Otherwise why would they bother to show it, have her talk about concerns regarding sharing space, discuss the price, have the roommate talk on camera, etc.?

And yeah, she's another one that made me wonder how Americans can both support themselves while "travel blogging" abroad and get permission to stay in these countries long term.

• Love 2

Yup, two episodes this week with the HHs choosing to stay where they are. Maybe the show has had more of those in recent months, but my viewing has been sporadic because I skip most of the "rich Americans looking for a vacation home in the Americas or the Caribbean" -- saw too many of them a few years ago, so they all blend together. I remember when staying put was so rare that we could count the episodes on one hand. Still, I thought both the Easter Island family and the Wellington blogger (and I also can't figure out how bloggers make enough to support themselves long-term) made good choices. And I loved seeing those two places! HHI is at its best when it visits unusual places like Ulan Bator and Easter Island, instead of yet another single woman teaching English in Europe.

Edited by wisteria
  • Love 2

I skip most of the "rich Americans looking for a vacation home in the Americas or the Caribbean" -- saw too many of them a few years ago, so they all blend together.

I skip almost everything that appears to involve vacation homes in Mexico, the Caribbean, and Central America. How many gated compounds full of bland, cookie-cutter condos do I need to see in my life?

• Love 4

Just caught the Australian Gold Coast episode with two friends, one of whom wants to sell bikinis. First, the realtor continuously calling them "girls" grates on me. I realize that I am reading far too much into it, but it just sounds condescending and needlessly derisive. Second, what's the difference in the bikinis in Trinidad and the ones in Australia? Is there that much of a difference? Someone please explain because, in my view (taken with a grain of salt since I haven't had a bikini ready body since I was about 4), they all look the same. Third, wait! There are SHARKS in AUSTRALIA?! Color me shocked.

Oh! And fourth. This guy is in a full on suit and the "girls" are gallivanting around in sheer dresses.

*These kids today! Argh!

Edited by Suck It Trebek
  • Love 3