Type keyword(s) to search

House Hunters International - General Discussion

• Start Topic

5 hours ago, buttersister said:

Location + awesome view = voila!

While that was certainly wonderful the whole idea of housing a child in a bathroom is just disgusting to me.  I can imagine him sailing boats in the toilet in the middle of the night.

• LOL 3
  • Love 1
20 hours ago, Grizzly said:

French Riviera. Adrian has a large territory. Would that last place be considered a 2 bed/2 bath? She thinks stairs equals the French Riviera? Wait until she's hauling the baby, the dog and groceries up those stairs every day.

Oh, she was complaining about those stairs at the end of the program. Heh! He tried to warn her! 

• Love 4
10 hours ago, buttersister said:

Yannick mentioned getting the owner to remove that toilet. Perhaps landlords are different in France than in the U.S.?😂

While I thought the look of that bed in the bathroom was beyond awful, don't they make child-proof things for toilets, to keep him from sailing boats in it in the middle of the night?  And put a piece of plywood on top and a tablecloth that goes to the floor to (1) disguise it and (2) have a table.  Turn the shower into a closet. 

Still not wonderful, but if the apartment was otherwise what I wanted, I'd figure out a way to make it work.  But even then, I'd be sure to always have the kid in the living room if people come by for a viewing--it's one thing to have your kid sleeping in a bathroom, but entirely another to display it.

• Love 4
15 hours ago, Cetacean said:

While that was certainly wonderful the whole idea of housing a child in a bathroom is just disgusting to me.  I can imagine him sailing boats in the toilet in the middle of the night.

That would be HER sailing boats. And not just boats, everything. At least she'd quickly learn a lot about physics. 

• LOL 2
  • Love 1
On 6/24/2021 at 11:02 PM, Grizzly said:

French Riviera. Adrian has a large territory. Would that last place be considered a 2 bed/2 bath? She thinks stairs equals the French Riviera? Wait until she's hauling the baby, the dog and groceries up those stairs every day.

Plus it was the furthest away from his work. I couldn’t stand the wife. She seemed to think she was too cute for words. How could she not pronounce her husband’s last name, calling him “Mr. French” instead? The name was very short. 

• Love 7
10 hours ago, LittleIggy said:

Plus it was the furthest away from his work. I couldn’t stand the wife. She seemed to think she was too cute for words. How could she not pronounce her husband’s last name, calling him “Mr. French” instead? The name was very short. 

Yeah, I got that impression about her, too.  Plus, she seemed proud of the fact that she didn't cook.  Yes, she takes care of their child, but is he supposed to come home from work and cook dinner?   

• Love 6
(edited)
11 hours ago, LittleIggy said:

Wonder if a lot of people commute from France to work in Monaco?

You cannot just move to Monaco.  If you have not been resident in France for more than a year you must apply for a long-stay visa (type D) for Monaco through the French Consulate closest to your most recent place of residence. Even then, you need to have an employment contract that shows that you have an income of at least $200,000 USD per annum (more for a family) and housing costs are crazy.

Edited by deirdra
  • Useful 8
  • Love 1
1 hour ago, deirdra said:

You cannot just move to Monaco.  If you have not been resident in France for more than a year you must apply for a long-stay visa (type D) for Monaco through the French Consulate closest to your most recent place of residence. Even then, you need to have an employment contract that shows that you have an income of at least $200,000 USD per annum (more for a family) and housing costs are crazy.

So is that a yes to my question “Wonder if a lot of people commute from France to work in Monaco?” 😉

• Love 2
1 hour ago, Crashcourse said:

Yeah, I got that impression about her, too.  Plus, she seemed proud of the fact that she didn't cook.  Yes, she takes care of their child, but is he supposed to come home from work and cook dinner?   

Whoever is home all day with the child while the other is working outside the house should be responsible for the dinner. “Responsible” includes asking the other to grab takeout on the way home.

• Useful 1
  • LOL 1
  • Love 3
2 hours ago, LittleIggy said:

Whoever is home all day with the child while the other is working outside the house should be responsible for the dinner. “Responsible” includes asking the other to grab takeout on the way home.

You would think that's the way it should be but I'm wondering what her expectations are since she proudly announced that she couldn't cook.  She seemed spoiled and flighty but if he's happy, then I guess I've got nothing else to say, lol.  

• LOL 2
  • Love 1

Normally you hear, don't cook, but rarely can't cook.   Guess Home Ec needs to return.  I would think living in the South of France would be a delightful place to cook.   Do we know what she did for work in the USA?   Yannick sure had cute dimples!

• Love 5

You live on the French Riviera, surrounded by fresh fish and yummy veg. Plus the boulangerie and patisserie are down the block. No need to master the art of French cooking. And nothing super heavy to shlep up all those steps! Bon appetit!

• Love 8

As it happens, Monaco currently bars people from entering unless they have a 72-hour negative test.  Exception made for residents of neighboring French cities.

It would be a longer commute for him but in Nice, there would be a much larger rental market.  He'd have to take a longer train or bus ride though.

I would think that a 2 bedroom and 1 bathroom apartment would be more attractive than a 1 bedroom and 2 bathroom apartment.  He should remove the toilet and just convert it into a little room.

• Useful 3
  • Love 1
5 hours ago, Crashcourse said:

Yeah, but she could at least learn to scramble some eggs, lol.

I was making googly eyes at Yannick.  And he could do my hair too?  I'd take him. 🥰  

I bet he makes a lot in tips! 😏

• LOL 3
  • Love 4
(edited)
On 2/4/2021 at 10:37 PM, Kiddvideo said:

Oh my god. She might be the worst child ever. I was thinking the best thing for her would be to stay in India, and then she got the single bedroom?!? Oh fuck no. Mom needed to rein that bitch in hard. Loved the real estate agent not holding back. Grow up and think about other people’s needs, indeed.

Just saw the episode. Indian-American here. My sister and I grew up pretty spoiled, but even we wouldn't think to push our luck like that(my mom can be a hard ass, most Indian moms are hard asses).  I wish that at least at the end of the episode, they would have that daughter cave and admit they would drive each other crazy if they shared that tiny one bedroom apartment (like the show usually does), but they featured her pouting when the mom picks the house. I normally don't mind when kids tag along on HHI bc they are living in the space too, but this was too much even for me. I felt sorry for the younger daughter. I do think she and her sister get on normally, but I too am one of those "go along to get along" types and it is really terrible when you have deal with someone that is self centered. 

Edited by Ambrosefolly
  • Love 5

Don't get at all the India-to-Sweden trio. Older daughter was a brat, and younger seemed sweet. Why does brat-child get her own room and mom and sister share? He'll no. Creating a monster.

• Love 4
1 hour ago, jacksgirl said:

Don't get at all the India-to-Sweden trio. Older daughter was a brat, and younger seemed sweet. Why does brat-child get her own room and mom and sister share? Hell no. Creating a monster.

ETA- amazing comedy on Indian-American family on Netflix- Never Have I Ever. Produced by Mindy Kahling. Highly recommend.

• Useful 1
  • Love 1

Just watched the French Riviera episode and I think the wife is going to really regret the apartment they chose.  Stairs as no big deal when one has a child and dog that has to go out regularly (the dog, not the child...) and no terraces/balcony?  When I was younger I lived in a walk-up in Japan, but it was just me and I pretty much ate out all the time (so didn't have to lug a lot of groceries up and down).  It was okay for me, but I didn't have a child or dog-it would have been too much (for me).

I liked both of the other options and would consider some type of outdoor area as a "must."  

• Love 7
1 hour ago, seacliffsal said:

Oh, and who thinks it's "cute" to call one's husband Mr. French because it's too hard to pronounce one's husband's name correctly?  Ridiculous!

And as I mentioned above, his last name was short. And what’s difficult to pronounce about Yannick? Wonder if she spoke any French?

• Love 5
3 hours ago, LittleIggy said:

And as I mentioned above, his last name was short. And what’s difficult to pronounce about Yannick? Wonder if she spoke any French?

And I remember in the introduction she was supposed to be such a Francophile, so why didn't she speak at least some French and why couldn't she pronounce her husband's name?

• LOL 7
1 hour ago, Crashcourse said:

And I remember in the introduction she was supposed to be such a Francophile, so why didn't she speak at least some French and why couldn't she pronounce her husband's name?

A real Francophile would have taken a lot of French in school, IMO. I bet her parents were pulling her leg when they told her they were French, and she believed it! 😆

• LOL 5

Amsterdam. That is a healthy budget. Sarah was so cute boating with the family. Loved the big house in the suburbs. Knee hurt looking at all the stairs at #3. Interesting barter system they have in their marriage. She always has to get something.

• Love 3
7 hours ago, LittleIggy said:

I think Sarah is going for a quirky fashion style a la Adrian. BTW, where’s KEVIN? 😱

Sarah reminds me of an actress or other well-known woman, but I can't think of who. Anyone else?

2 hours ago, jacksgirl said:

Sarah reminds me of an actress or other well-known woman, but I can't think of who. Anyone else?

Well, Sarah is an actress. Her social media says so. She says she plays the part of real estate finder on HHI.

• Useful 1
  • LOL 5

I don't really care for Sarah as she has a tendency to really make everything about herself IMO.  I get that she's an actress, but it seems like she portrays her quirkiness in order to appear adorable.

Really like house #1 although the "suburban" home was lovely as well.  I was so glad that the wife wife immediately commented on the stairs of house #3 as the French Riviera wife thought they were no big deal.

• Love 7
15 hours ago, Grizzly said:

Amsterdam. That is a healthy budget. Sarah was so cute boating with the family. Loved the big house in the suburbs. Knee hurt looking at all the stairs at #3. Interesting barter system they have in their marriage. She always has to get something.

I'm usually a City Girl myself, but I was all in for that house in the suburbs! I did like all three choices, though.

• Love 2

Sydney, Australia. I had never heard that phrase, don't let perfect ruin good. I love it. And it should be tattooed on every house hunter. Liked all the houses but #2 made the most sense for her.

• Love 8
2 hours ago, Grizzly said:

I had never heard that phrase, don't let perfect ruin good.

Some variation (e.g. "don't let the perfect be the enemy of the good") is more commonly found in political discussion.

• Love 4

If the Amsterdam couple have more children they might be more relegated to staying home.  Sounds like they want to do a lot of traveling, which is hard enough with one toddler.

The yard would be some work for the hubby.

They must have a pretty big entertainment and travel budget, though can you really take a kid to some trendy pubs and wine bars or they have to go to family restaurant?

Also imagine packing clothes and other stuff for the kid as well as a crib makes travel a lot harder than if they just went by themselves.

• Useful 2

This Sydney episode was another HHI trope about going to live abroad because of a parent's death.

The wife was inspirational in being so upbeat.  Can MS progress though, become more difficult for her?

They showed her playing more with the dog than their son.

• Love 2
12 hours ago, aghst said:

Maybe their move to Sydney isn't as permanent as they portray.

That is what I was wondering.  Foreigners can buy a home to live in if they are a temporary Australian resident. However, the home must be sold if you leave it unless you become a citizen or permanent resident.

• Useful 2

Yeah it's just speculation that they're paying high rent.  Even 4500 AUD would be a lot and 1 AUD is worth about 70-75 cents US.

Maybe there aren't tax advantages to owning a home there as there is in the US.

They chose a rather large home for the 3 of them along with a dog.  Maybe his employer is giving them a very generous housing allowance.

• Love 1
On 7/2/2021 at 1:28 PM, aghst said:

This Sydney episode was another HHI trope about going to live abroad because of a parent's death.

The wife was inspirational in being so upbeat.  Can MS progress though, become more difficult for her?

They showed her playing more with the dog than their son.

My grandmother couldn't walk after five years.  Maybe they've made progress since then.  They would have to get a ramp if her illness suddenly progresses.  

• Love 1
12 minutes ago, Lemons said:

My grandmother couldn't walk after five years.  Maybe they've made progress since then.  They would have to get a ramp if her illness suddenly progresses.  

Treatments have improved but the other thing is that MS effects people in many different ways not only in severity but in actual symptoms. It’s one of the reasons it can be difficult to diagnose and there are actually four different kinds of MS, so one persons prognosis is necessarily predictive of someone else’s. 

• Useful 4
  • Love 1
(edited)
2 hours ago, deirdra said:

Foreigners can buy a home to live in if they are a temporary Australian resident. However, the home must be sold if you leave it unless you become a citizen or permanent resident.

They said his mom was Australian and he split time between the two growing up so it’s probable he has dual citizenship. Based on his LinkedIn they have been in Sydney since 2018.

Edited by biakbiak
  • Love 3
3 minutes ago, biakbiak said:

Treatments have improved but the other thing is that MS effects people in many different ways not only in severity but in actual symptoms. It’s one of the reasons it can be difficult to diagnose and there are actually four different kinds of MS, so one persons prognosis is necessarily predictive of someone else’s. 

Some people barely know they have it and others, like my grandmother, are paralyzed.  She seemed to have significant symptoms already.  I assume Australia's health care is as good as the US? 

• Love 1