Type keyword(s) to search

House Hunters International - General Discussion

• Start Topic

On 5/6/2021 at 11:03 PM, Grizzly said:

Marlborough, NZ. Sometimes I'd like to see the house that these people come from. When tastes are so opposite, who won the last time? The man is a carpenter, how can she hate wood? Funny how he equates modern with bland. Glad the dog got the big yard.

I thought the same thing. 

• Love 4
On 5/6/2021 at 3:53 AM, aghst said:

She admits that her Ph.D is not in a well known field.

So they’re kind of gambling that it would lead to a higher income job or profession.

the guy said he just wants to sit in a pub.  But he is busy feeding and getting the kids ready for school.

maybe she is getting a scholarship and some living expenses from her grad school program.

probably smart of them to choose the place with the lower rent.

The wife had a chronic health condition, too. Does Ireland have a universal healthcare system.

“Neonatal Occupational Therapy” made me laugh. Let’s get those babies ready for work! 

• LOL 6
  • Love 3
2 hours ago, LittleIggy said:

Does Ireland have a universal healthcare system.

Yes, like all developed countries other than the U.S., although it's the least comprehensive in western Europe.

• Useful 1
  • Love 5

The NZ woman annoyed me the way all people do who think an older house always means it will be falling apart. Just because it wasn't built yesterday or because it isn't white/grey doesn't mean it's going to fall down on top of you or that you'll need to be fixing something every day. 

• Love 4
6 hours ago, Grrarrggh said:

The NZ woman annoyed me the way all people do who think an older house always means it will be falling apart. Just because it wasn't built yesterday or because it isn't white/grey doesn't mean it's going to fall down on top of you or that you'll need to be fixing something every day. 

Amen.  A neglected house will, over time, cause problems (deferred maintenance will always bite someone in the ass in the end), but the materials and, especially, craftsmanship of old homes are not found today, so if a house hasn't been ignored, its age is not a deterrent.

And, sure, some of those materials should be upgraded to take advantage of technological advances, but to act like an older home is inherently more suspect in terms of future problems than a new build is ridiculous, because the deliberate cutting of corners wasn't widespread back then like it is now; the starting point is a better one because of a completely different attitude toward building.

My house was built in 1938, and I've replaced the plumbing and electrical with better materials that came along in the intervening years in order to keep it going the rest of my life, but it was livable without that.

And, my goodness, the structural work.  This was back when a 2x4 was actually two by four inches, and, more importantly, the attention to detail and employing best practices rather than the minimum necessary to meet code was the norm.  I'd much rather take the best practices of the time and upgrade as necessary than start with a home designed to skate by from the moment it was built, because the former has greater longevity. 

• Love 13

San Miguel, Mexico:

On 4/28/2021 at 12:55 PM, MartyQui said:

I want to tell that handsome husband that when he and negative Nancy divorce, I’m waiting.  

On 4/28/2021 at 6:43 PM, aghst said:

High school sweethearts and then she sends him a card 30 years later and they pick right back up?

Then talks him into moving to Mexico, away from his kids and grandkids?

I really wish that the husband had just gone on a long vacation with his former sweetheart instead of marrying her. Will he really want to raise an 8 year old child? And what  are they going to do in San Miguel? (But hey, what do I know?)

• Love 2

Azores. House #1 I was surprised at how modern the kitchen was. And I wouldn't change a thing about that purple room. I even liked that chair he was sitting in. House #2 was fine (don't agree with"dingy") but converting those stone huts will be very expensive. At least this couple has B&B experience. House #3, my imagination is not that big. So they are putting off the B&B for a bit. What are they living on?

• Love 5

^likely the proceeds from the sale of their Ontario home. They mentioned their son heading off to university so it sounded like they do have a financial plan.

Love Azores episodes. Hoping to retire there myself.

• Love 2

House #3 in the Azores had to be producer driven.  No way in hell would anyone short of a millionaire take on something like that. It was just an empty shell with no apparent historical significance.  Why even bother?

• Love 5

I didn't know Azores was pronounced like that! Also, yes, glad they had B&B experience...

That last place...right, after I've hacked the forest out of it, I might as well knock it down and start over.

• Love 6

Do they really have that many tourists going out to these relatively remote islands to run a B&B or maybe they don't really need income right away, even though they said with House 1 they could start making income right away.

He plans to do a lot of farming, renovate, install solar and then run B&B?

Seems like they have a lot of energy, this "TNT" couple.  They must have hated their jobs, want to drop out, live off the land.  They must not be from Toronto, must have some idea of the amount of work they're taking on?

• LOL 1
  • Love 3

I didn’t understand why they needed a solar field.  My cousin runs her three bedroom house with solar panels on her roof (in MA) and has extra energy to sell back to the electric company.  That includes heat and AC.

• Useful 1
  • Love 7

Stockholm. Furry light, we see something new every night. And I can't believe that sliver was the only window while making it look like a full, covered window. Talk about character, that cafe where they were sitting while discussing their options. It was gorgeous. Ugh they picked the super tiny one. So long as the dog is happy.

• Love 4
16 hours ago, Cetacean said:

House #3 in the Azores had to be producer driven.  No way in hell would anyone short of a millionaire take on something like that. It was just an empty shell with no apparent historical significance.  Why even bother?

The property was the draw for that place. I did wonder about the building right next to the shell. It looked like a functional house, IIRC.

• Love 3

Stockholm, surprised they found a place around that budget, which seems low.  All the apartments would have one nice feature like a big, bright living room but tiny bedroom.

That closet shower was weird and then the ground floor place which was like a fish bowl.

The sliver windows was bad too.  Might make sense in the summer when daylight is over 20 hours a day.  But otherwise you’re always in artificial light?

They showed some wide boulevards but the old town is more charming.

• Love 5

"I didn't know Azores was pronounced like that! Also, yes, glad they had B&B experience..."

I don't believe it is.  I think it was just the way the narrator was pronouncing it.  Wikipedia shows the pronunciation as such: ə-ZORZ.

Nice place to visit, but too far from the mainland for me.  I think I'd be bored after a few weeks.

• Love 8

Tours, France. Most mothers would be worrying that their kids would pull that suit of armor down on top of them. As soon as I saw the trampoline, I knew they were getting that one.

• Love 4
On 5/12/2021 at 11:01 PM, Grizzly said:

Stockholm. Furry light, we see something new every night. And I can't believe that sliver was the only window while making it look like a full, covered window. Talk about character, that cafe where they were sitting while discussing their options. It was gorgeous. Ugh they picked the super tiny one. So long as the dog is happy.

I was like WTF with that furry light! 😆 Their corgi was adorbs. I liked that cafe too. It was awesome.

• Love 2

The Tours episode was interesting for me because I studied French there for a few months many many years ago.  It was really nice.

I did kind of laugh at them talking like it was this unknown place.  If they were truly as obsessed about France as they said, they likely would have heard of Tours before because it's located in a prime spot in the Loire Valley for chateaux tours.  It's the destination of a lot of tourists. 

When I lived there, I rented a room at a house like the one they eventually rented. A woman had built a room in the back of her garden for language students.  I had to roll my eyes at the notion that a fifteen minute walk to city center was so far away.  A 15 minute walk is nothing.  And there would be plenty of action even closer to their house.  From my experience, a walk like that would go by so quickly.  The only issue might be what the kids can handle.

• Love 7

Yeah I was going to say you can take the TGV bullet train from Paris to Tours in a couple of hours.

So why wasn’t Adrian there?  It’s closer to Paris than Nice, where she’s done some episodes.  This realtor was fine though.

Adrian has never shown big properties like these.  A 5 bedroom newly renovated town house for $2500 a month?  What a deal, though it’s a lot of upkeep.  They both will work remotely but on Portland time or France time?  It’s 8 or 9 hour difference depending on Daylight Savings Time.

Sounds like they both would make good money so they can probably afford housekeeping services, though if they’re both working from home …

She’s a Francophile and he’s got French relatives so they just moved?  One way tickets?  Their kids were probably in French schools in Paris so it was probably planned for awhile.

The demand to be in the city center was probably not real.  She was never picking that place with the antiquated kitchen and no backyard, though sounds like he does a lot or all of the cooking.

BTW, while they were talking to the agent about their requirements in that outdoor table, most of the people around them and in the streets were masked.  Then they were filmed riding bikes though the streets.  You could see one of the cars with the cameras following  and filming them.  One of the kids noticed onlookers were watching them, said we must be famous.

They got to film at least in some parts of Chenonceau, a popular chateau.  Even drone overhead shots showing the geometrically designed gardens.

• Useful 1
  • Love 4

I really liked so much of the Tours episode-primarily the scenery and housing options.  However, I was really put off by Ebony's "we researched-we're millenials and know how to do that" comment.  No, it's not just that generation that knows how to research nor is it only that generation that has ever "discovered" Tours. 

I loved both the city apartment and the townhouse.  Great prices!  So much amazing history and architecture in the area.

• Love 8

Chenonceau Castle caught my eye in the Tours episode.  I am reading an historical novel and that is one of the places to which the Mona Lisa was moved during WWII to keep it safe from the Nazis.

• Useful 1
  • Love 6
4 hours ago, seacliffsal said:

I really liked so much of the Tours episode-primarily the scenery and housing options.  However, I was really put off by Ebony's "we researched-we're millenials and know how to do that" comment.  No, it's not just that generation that knows how to research nor is it only that generation that has ever "discovered" Tours.

Not only that, but non-millennials didn't do research by having a million blogs literally at their fingertips while lying on the couch scrolling through their phone.  They walked ten miles in the snow to get to the library.

• LOL 15
  • Love 2

Well they must have found that Tours is so much more affordable than somewhere like Paris or even Nice.

A 4 or 5 bedroom place in those cities would be prohibitive.

She also said that Tours seemed to have good diversity.  I guess if she looked into Expat forums or social media, it might be possible to get some impression.

Maybe they did more than casual browsing a few times before deciding on that location, selling everything and booking one-way tickets.

• Love 3
(edited)
16 hours ago, aghst said:

BTW, while they were talking to the agent about their requirements in that outdoor table, most of the people around them and in the streets were masked.  Then they were filmed riding bikes though the streets.  You could see one of the cars with the cameras following  and filming them.  One of the kids noticed onlookers were watching them, said we must be famous.

Whaaa?! When was that? I heard one of the kids saying everything was really old and saw the youngest giving Dad looks that showed she clearly didn't believe he was up to snuff as her chauffeur, but I didn't hear that.

I liked when Ebony mentioned that they'd done research. It was a nice change from people who at least act shocked over prices or space.

Edited by Grrarrggh
  • Love 1
12 hours ago, StatisticalOutlier said:

Not only that, but non-millennials didn't do research by having a million blogs literally at their fingertips while lying on the couch scrolling through their phone.  They walked ten miles in the snow to get to the library.

Yeah, we had to search for and check out actual books. If we couldn’t check out the books we needed, we had to make expensive copies on a slow as 💩 Xerox machine. And...oh, geeze, I feel old! 🙄

• LOL 5
  • Love 2
(edited)
On 5/8/2021 at 11:36 AM, LittleIggy said:

The wife had a chronic health condition, too. Does Ireland have a universal healthcare system.

“Neonatal Occupational Therapy” made me laugh. Let’s get those babies ready for work! 

Occupational therapy is used in the NICU for babies with nerve damage or poor muscle tone.  Physical therapy is also used in the NICU for things like sucking issues. I took care of babies that had both OT and PT orders.  It does sound strange, but it is a real thing.

Edited by CalicoKitty
forgot a word.
  • Useful 6
  • Love 3
1 hour ago, CalicoKitty said:

Occupational therapy is used in the NICU for babies with nerve damage or poor muscle tone.  Physical therapy is also used in the NICU for things like sucking issues. I took care of babies that had both OT and PT orders.  It does sound strange, but it is a real thing.

I don’t doubt it is a real thing. The name just conjures up a funny image for me. 😏

• Love 3
14 minutes ago, LittleIggy said:

I don’t doubt it is a real thing. The name just conjures up a funny image for me. 😏

It does sound really strange, doesn't it.  "Let's see if these kids can lift the 40 pound boxes yet".  It is different for the therapists, too.  It is very different from their normal case load.  

• LOL 4

Barcelona. Carlos is a cutie. Why don't they live in a country where he could practice medicine? Then they'd have a bigger budget. I liked the floor tile in the traditional apt. The one in the entry way looked like a rug. After living in cruise ship cabins, I would think they'd want a lot of space. Oh well, the pull of the sea.

• Love 3
39 minutes ago, Grizzly said:

Barcelona. Carlos is a cutie. Why don't they live in a country where he could practice medicine? Then they'd have a bigger budget. 

Aside from the country where he got his medical license, I don't think there is one.

• Useful 1
  • Love 4

Interesting timing for the Barcelona couple.  Cruise ship industry dried up in the last year.

But they live in different countries when they’re not working so they wanted to move in together and chose a country where he’s fluent in the language spoken but she isn’t.

Barcelona is way affordable so that must have been one reason they chose it.

I don’t know about that weird bed though, not only too high but seemed like a twin.

• Love 5

Just catching up.

Stockholm: I thought the first house was the best but gee the guy that didn't have a job didn't like that it couldn't step out the door and be in the middle of things.   I thought those bedroom windows were okay - I don't spend time during the day in my bedroom.  

Both the first and third houses had nice living areas.  The one they chose (most expensive of course) had a bedroom that the bed touched three halls.  Where are they going to put a baby in that place?  I didn't really like the guy without a job (who of course miraculously had a job) especially in his monologue of why the third place is the best (and it was all I... I... I...)

Tours:  gee if there aren't any beams in the ceiling how will I know I'm in France?

Azores:  Guy going on and on about that wonderful third place - then I had to laugh (and rewind a couple of times just to be sure what I saw) that there were large houses on either side that were quite close.  Yeah I didn't understand the solar field either - is he hoping to supply electricity for the entire island?  And really the B&B guests will spend their days hiking up the solar field?

• Love 5
18 hours ago, Grizzly said:

Barcelona. Carlos is a cutie. Why don't they live in a country where he could practice medicine? Then they'd have a bigger budget.

I thought he said he'd have to wait two years before he could practice medicine.  I wasn't surprised that he got a health-related job until then.  And she got a job too, forgot what it was, so they can probably make it until he's able to practice again.   He was a cutie and I thought she was attractive too. 

• Love 6

I don’t recall seeing the Barcelona couple actually living in the home they chose.  Just wandering around the city and then sitting in some home.  Usually, they show how the couple has fixed things up since moving in. I wondered that, once they both got jobs, they moved to something else.  Or did I miss something?

• Useful 1
  • Love 4

Moss, Norway. They have a healthy budget and the first place so close to the sea, but not small, was 100k below! They should be able to get what they want. But #2 is 100k above, wtf. It still didn't have yard space. #3, they could easily live upstairs while updating downstairs. Nice, they picked #1 but where is the bathtub going to fit? I don't remember if there was space in the bathroom.

• Love 3
7 minutes ago, Grizzly said:

Moss, Norway. They have a healthy budget and the first place so close to the sea, but not small, was 100k below! They should be able to get what they want. But #2 is 100k above, wtf. It still didn't have yard space. #3, they could easily live upstairs while updating downstairs. Nice, they picked #1 but where is the bathtub going to fit? I don't remember if there was space in the bathroom.

There definitely was. I remember because it seemed too big without a tub. 

• Love 4

Chiang Mai, Thailand. How old is this guy? He wants to move to a party place and live off her working. She is too mature for him. Thank goodness he got a job. His respect for Thai culture is a redeeming trait.

• Love 6

I can’t imagine moving to northern Thailand with some guy who clearly expected me to pay for his R&R time because he’d worked so hard in some podunk town. Kiss my ass.

Did she have to threaten him to reveal the born again boyfriend? Something stinks. Besides his attitude.

• Love 9

I think they overplayed the differences between the couple in Thailand.

Was he really going to party and bring back strangers to their home while she toiled as the main income earner upstairs?

She probably wanted to be close to town as well for the convenience of restaurants and markets.

She may be quite a bit younger than him.  They’ve been together for 7 years but she’s willing to indulge his desire for adventure.  Maybe in a couple more years she would want them to be able to save some money, maybe be able to afford more comfortable place to live, maybe even think about having a family.

Otherwise, she’s been with the man-child for awhile so maybe she’s also kind of hippie herself.

• Love 5
7 hours ago, aghst said:

Otherwise, she’s been with the man-child for awhile so maybe she’s also kind of hippie herself.

He said she had dreadlocks when they met.

From what little we've been given, it sounds like she's matured while he hasn't, and I wouldn't be surprised if he'd be okay with bringing strangers home to party while she toiled as the only income earner upstairs. 

Then again, he might be a bit of an exaggerator--he originally said he'd previously been in Thailand for 11 days on some sort of Buddhism retreat or something, and later talked about when he "lived" in Asia, and I think both are referring to the same incident.

• Love 6
7 hours ago, aghst said:

I think they overplayed the differences between the couple in Thailand.

Was he really going to party and bring back strangers to their home while she toiled as the main income earner upstairs?

She probably wanted to be close to town as well for the convenience of restaurants and markets.

She may be quite a bit younger than him.  They’ve been together for 7 years but she’s willing to indulge his desire for adventure.  Maybe in a couple more years she would want them to be able to save some money, maybe be able to afford more comfortable place to live, maybe even think about having a family.

My red flag about this couple is that they rarely used the words "we" or "us". It was mostly, "I'm not buying a sofa or TV". "This just the place I want". Hope they were playing it up for the cameras... but she seemed really angry about working to support both of them... while he was put partying. 

• Love 8

Barcelona episode: I cringed every time the woman referred to the Mediterranean Sea as "the ocean." I hated the place they picked. The Barceloneta area is so crowded and touristy and the apartment seemed too small for two people. I would have picked the updated apartment in Poble Sec - it's a laid-back neighborhood where tourists rarely go - with the one in Eixample being the second choice. I lived in Eixample for a few months in the mid-00s; it's got great architecture and is very central, but it's also very busy and fast-paced.

• Love 3