Type keyword(s) to search

House Hunters International - General Discussion

• Start Topic

On ‎04‎/‎09‎/‎2021 at 9:09 PM, Grizzly said:

Yes. So whatever he walked through outside came inside.

Yeah, that's what bothered me.  I'd have been fine if he was wearing shoes and taking them off when he went in the houses because that is what I do at home.  But going from bare feet outdoors to bare feet indoors bugged me.  Then again, I'm not a "run around barefoot outside" person anyway.

The son didn't bother me, which is a surprise because usually kids bug me.  I could relate to his wanting to be in town where there'd be more kids around to make friends with.  But it worked out for the family at the beach place.

• Love 4

Looks like last year in Edinburgh.  Spotted some masked people on the shots of them walking in the streets.

Guy was worried about finding comedy gigs, coming from that comedy club hotbed of Merdian, Idaho to Edinburgh.

Definitely chose the right house.  Wanting to save money for travel or "fun stuff" is a good goal.  Or it's another HHI trope.

But vacations and other entertainment expenses comprise maybe a few weeks out of the year?  So are they going to be miserable with cramped rooms, tiny refrigerators, one small bathrooms the rest of the year?

• LOL 1
  • Love 8
9 hours ago, aghst said:

Wanting to save money for travel or "fun stuff" is a good goal.  Or it's another HHI trope.

If a young couple plans to go off on regular weekend adventures, they might compromise this way. Otherwise, trope city.

• Love 2
6 hours ago, buttersister said:

If a young couple plans to go off on regular weekend adventures, they might compromise this way. Otherwise, trope city.

More than just "young couple" like to travel. 

• Love 2

Again, we have a house hunter who insists that "old architecture" equals "authentic."  Well, the fact that the apartment/house is in Scotland means that it is an "authentic" Scottish residence no matter what it looks like or what the architectural style.  She insisted on that term many times.  Maybe she meant "historic building/residence" but because she kept saying "authentic" I had to keep saying out loud "it IS authentic."  I agree with their decision to rent the city center apartment.  Plenty to explore in Scotland-don't always need to get a way to other countries every opportunity.

• Love 5

More than just "young couple" like to travel. 

Indeed. But very frequent trips when you have school-age kids aren't as likely to happen. So sacrificing space and location for the travel fund makes more sense. Same for empty nesters, to your point.

• Love 3

Warsaw, Poland. That couple had an interesting dynamic. Not what I would want in a relationship but it seemed to work for them. Even if the realtor didn't always look comfortable. 

• Love 3
8 hours ago, Grizzly said:

Warsaw, Poland. That couple had an interesting dynamic. Not what I would want in a relationship but it seemed to work for them. Even if the realtor didn't always look comfortable. 

Heck, it made me uncomfortable.  Some of that needling did not seem at all good natured.

• Love 8
15 hours ago, Grrarrggh said:

I wonder if the Edinburgh dad home schooled? He talked about being at home with the kids all day.

I may be mixing up my episodes but I thought at the end he said he walked the kids to school.

• Useful 1
On 4/14/2021 at 2:02 AM, aghst said:

But vacations and other entertainment expenses comprise maybe a few weeks out of the year?  So are they going to be miserable with cramped rooms, tiny refrigerators, one small bathrooms the rest of the year?

I always side-eye these HH who say they can deal with this.  How will a dorm refrigerator suffice for a family with kids?  Especially an American family with kids? 

My assumption is always that they are not actually buying or renting to live there.  Maybe it's a temp rental like an AirBnB, and they won't be living there.  If they do live there, then I want an explanation of how that fridge is working for them.

3 hours ago, izabella said:

I always side-eye these HH who say they can deal with this.  How will a dorm refrigerator suffice for a family with kids?  Especially an American family with kids? 

My assumption is always that they are not actually buying or renting to live there.  Maybe it's a temp rental like an AirBnB, and they won't be living there.  If they do live there, then I want an explanation of how that fridge is working for them.

Maybe, but people in Europe also do fresh food shopping nearly daily, so they don't need as much storage space for it.

• Love 8
2 hours ago, Grrarrggh said:

Maybe, but people in Europe also do fresh food shopping nearly daily, so they don't need as much storage space for it.

Chicken or egg? Maybe they wouldn't shop daily if they had bigger refrigerators.

• Love 1
34 minutes ago, Dehumidifier said:

Chicken or egg? Maybe they wouldn't shop daily if they had bigger refrigerators.

Maybe if Americans had smaller fridges like the rest of the world, 69% of them wouldn't be overweight or obese.

Edited by deirdra
  • Love 4
35 minutes ago, Dehumidifier said:

They’ve shown us apartments with full size fridges before. Seems culturally they prefer the smaller size fridges and doing smaller shopping runs for fresher food more frequently. It’s a mind shift not a deficit.

• Love 6
6 minutes ago, Kiddvideo said:

They’ve shown us apartments with full size fridges before. Seems culturally they prefer the smaller size fridges and doing smaller shopping runs for fresher food more frequently. It’s a mind shift not a deficit.

I think the newer builds have the bigger appliances. 

15 minutes ago, deirdra said:

Maybe if Americans had smaller fridges like the rest of the world, 69% of them wouldn't be overweight or obese.

I wonder how many people who think shop every day is a good system would want to do that themselves, especially suburbanites and working moms.

• Love 6
58 minutes ago, Dehumidifier said:

I wonder how many people who think shop every day is a good system would want to do that themselves, especially suburbanites and working moms.

Why would being a working mom matter? There is a second adult to shop as well. And when fresh ingredients are bought daily or every other day they're much less likely to spoil and being binned. Less food waste.

• Love 2
Just now, Grrarrggh said:

Why would being a working mom matter? There is a second adult to shop as well. And when fresh ingredients are bought daily or every other day they're much less likely to spoil and being binned. Less food waste.

Where I live commutes of over an hour are common. People are tired when they get home.

Tonight's Warsaw hunter has been there since January 2020. https://pl.linkedin.com/in/grayjt

• Love 2

In a European city, they might find a mini supermarket on the way from their home to work or the metro station.

Also if you don't have a car, you might not want to buy a lot of stuff all the time.

But I believe for people who want to buy a lot and have a big enough fridge, you can get the groceries delivered if you're willing to spend over a certain amount.

Again, because people who live in the center of a city may not have cars.

Edited by aghst
  • Love 2

South Africa to London

I can't believe they did not take the adorably perfect last place for the soulless modern monstrosity next to a construction site--and she is supposed to study through that noise? She seemed childish--how do people like that make it through law school? Their budget seemed low for London for a lawyer and "international banker"--even a lawyer taking a year off. It is so amusing how some people just want to be on tv no matter how bad they appear.

Comedian in Edinburgh

They were cute, aside from the HHI pretend-stupidity. How did I not know how beautiful this city is? It's going on the post-pandemic travel list stat!

I am very partial to Mediterranean country episodes because I want to see the real estate more than the made-up story, but Scotland and Ireland episodes are moving up.

• Love 6
On 4/15/2021 at 6:35 PM, Dehumidifier said:

It's a different lifestyle. 

In metropolitan areas it is very common to get ingredients for dinner on the way - especially among single and couples without children. You don't eat at home that often and a lot of times you don't even know what you will be doing. People don't tend to do a lot of entertaining at home either as people generally meet at restaurants. At most they meet for drinks at someone's house before setting out. This is even more true in some of the cities like Rome and Paris. 

At least in NY you don't tend to pick up that food at a large supermarket - you stop at the bodega or corner market and of course ordering food to be delivered.

My refrigerator in Manhattan was pretty small. It had a single door with one of those freezers in the refrigerator section which basically didn't keep anything frozen and since it wasn't frost free it was generally iced up - about all if fit was a box of Lean Cuisine and a bottle of vodka.

As others have pointed out, without a car it is pretty difficult to do a major shopping expedition anyway unless you plan it and shlep out a granny cart. 

Generally if you are commuting an hour or more you are commuting to the suburbs and have a car as a rule so your lifestyle is completely different. 

Edited by amarante
  • Love 8
On 4/15/2021 at 10:46 PM, Grizzly said:

Not liking him. Glad he appreciates what Warsaw has to offer. 

I found his attempts at humor cringe-worthy. I think the realtor did to. He ended up with the smallest most expensive place.

• Love 7
20 hours ago, LittleIggy said:

I found his attempts at humor cringe-worthy. I think the realtor did to. He ended up with the smallest most expensive place.

I'm really enjoying the Edinburgh episode because (1) Edinburgh and (2) I now get to add stand-up comedian to my list of most-likely-to-fail HH jobs (after travel blogger and holistic health retreat operator).

• LOL 10
13 hours ago, ArtFossil said:

I'm really enjoying the Edinburgh episode because (1) Edinburgh and (2) I now get to add stand-up comedian to my list of most-likely-to-fail HH jobs (after travel blogger and holistic health retreat operator).

I was hoping to see him at a gig making American jokes that left the audience perplexed, not laughing or clapping.

• Love 3
18 hours ago, ArtFossil said:

Does this mean you believe a digital nomad would be a success story?  Yeah, me neither.  HAHA

• Love 2
On 4/15/2021 at 2:55 PM, Grizzly said:

I may be mixing up my episodes but I thought at the end he said he walked the kids to school.

What I thought about that was that I wondered if all schools required uniforms, because the kids were not wearing them.

On 4/17/2021 at 8:50 PM, ArtFossil said:

He is actually in one of the best places to be a comedian with the Fringe Festival. 

• Like 1
  • Useful 2
  • Love 1

Zurich. I couldn't get past her appearance. Sorry, I'm now officially an old judgemental, fuddy duddy. 3 nose rings, teeth that should of had braces, and tattoos all over. The baby is so cute. For once the husband won and has a shorter commute. I think she'll come to appreciate the open concept and sleekness.

• Love 10
1 hour ago, Grizzly said:

I think she'll come to appreciate the open concept and sleekness.

Oh yeah. Like right away if not sooner. Seeing their walk across the bridge to the grocery store every day, she's got all the charm she wanted. And is (surprise!) happy in her big space with lots of ex-pat pals around.

• Love 3

Yeah she was going for a cartoonish look?

She kept going on about ow cute the third place was and how quirky.

if she said she preferred the neighborhood of the third place it’s one thing.  Otherwise that was not better.

• Love 3
8 hours ago, Grizzly said:

Zurich. I couldn't get past her appearance. Sorry, I'm now officially an old judgemental, fuddy duddy.

Table for two, please.  I couldn't concentrate on the places because of finding some other bizarre body "art" in each shot.  I'm surprised she didn't keep referring to herself as quirky instead of just the places they were looking at.

The whole idea of him living in a place where he would have to stoop all of the time was just ridiculous.  And it was evident from the start that the place with all of the stairs would not work with the kids.

• Love 10
25 minutes ago, MartyQui said:

I didn’t mind the crooked teeth, but it looked like they needed a good brushing

And certain lipstick colors make yellow teeth look even worse.  Bad color for her.

• Love 4
On 4/11/2021 at 12:51 PM, LittleIggy said:

Too bad he ruined his ears like that. I hate earlobe plugs. Bovine nose pierces, too.

And I swear that was a family photo in his earlobe. 

4 hours ago, MartyQui said:

Zurich:  I didn’t mind the crooked teeth, but it looked like they needed a good brushing.

They weren't just crooked--they were broken or something, so the top front two made an inverted V.  And I kept screaming, "A tree is not a what????"  At the end, her shirt finally shifted enough that I think it was "forest."

But...A tree is not a forest?  Of course it's not.  Did she mean "A tree does not make a forest" and just got it wrong??  Or realized she was going to run out of room and changed it on the fly?

• LOL 6
  • Love 1

The strange thing about "Bunny the Tattooed Zurich Wife" was that she looked normal in earlier pictures they showed.  I didn't a bunch of tattoos, her hair was longer, and she looked reasonably attractive.   Maybe motherhood made her go off the rails?  

• Love 5
2 hours ago, Crashcourse said:

I don't know about the policies school districts have regarding a teacher's appearance, but I wonder how she even got hired with all those tattoos and the nose rings. 

The elementary school where I volunteer used to have a computer lab teacher who had piercings in her tongue, nape of neck, nose, eyebrows. And those are only the visible ones! Don’t want to know what was under her clothing! I think the tongue one is the grossest.

1 minute ago, Spunkygal said:

The elementary school where I volunteer used to have a computer lab teacher who had piercings in her tongue, nape of neck, nose, eyebrows. And those are only the visible ones! Don’t want to know what was under her clothing! I think the tongue one is the grossest.

Wow, those poor kids!  

• Love 1
1 minute ago, Crashcourse said:

Wow, those poor kids!  

I seem to remember that she lasted 2 years. She was so lazy and never did anything! So the principal asked her to leave. (Not correlating piercings to laziness in general.) 

• Useful 1
6 hours ago, Crashcourse said:

The strange thing about "Bunny the Tattooed Zurich Wife" was that she looked normal in earlier pictures they showed. 

Now, I'm not positive about the inverted V in her top front teeth, but if it is there, is it possible that she did it on purpose, like the people who get a V notched into the tips of their tongues?  I hope I mis-saw the teeth, and I really hope that if I didn't, she chipped them opening a pocket knife or something.

• Love 2
42 minutes ago, StatisticalOutlier said:

Now, I'm not positive about the inverted V in her top front teeth, but if it is there, is it possible that she did it on purpose, like the people who get a V notched into the tips of their tongues? 

I did think it odd that it was such a perfect inverted V.  I have never seen that sort of thing naurally occur.  In her early pictures I didn't notice it but they were so brief it's possible I missed it.

• Love 3
9 hours ago, StatisticalOutlier said:

But...A tree is not a forest?  Of course it's not.  Did she mean "A tree does not make a forest" and just got it wrong??  Or realized she was going to run out of room and changed it on the fly?

Pretty sure this is the source for her tattoo.

“A tree is not a forest” writes Peter Wohlleben in The Hidden Life of Trees, “on it’s own, a tree cannot establish a consistent local climate. It is at the mercy of wind and weather” [1]. Alone, a tree is a vulnerable individual. It must succumb to the forces of the larger landscape.

• Useful 4
  • Love 2