Type keyword(s) to search

House Hunters International - General Discussion

• Start Topic

Rerun of the LA couple moving to Ecuador.  Probably would have picked up the first place and dropped it in the city if they could.  Wasn’t surprised that they went with house 2, it was more resort-y.  

What really got me was that quick shot of them making out in the end.  I barely see HH couples do a quick peck on the cheek, let alone straight up mouth to mouth.  It was nice!  They should let them show affection more often.

• Love 3
12 hours ago, Amethyst said:

Rerun of the LA couple moving to Ecuador.  Probably would have picked up the first place and dropped it in the city if they could.  Wasn’t surprised that they went with house 2, it was more resort-y.  

What really got me was that quick shot of them making out in the end.  I barely see HH couples do a quick peck on the cheek, let alone straight up mouth to mouth.  It was nice!  They should let them show affection more often.

I had the urge to look away to give them privacy.

• LOL 2
18 hours ago, Amethyst said:

They seem like such a nice couple... no bickering... no snarkiness... no unreasonable demands. Just a nice couple, still in love and enjoying life.

• Love 3

New Zealand. I missed the actual city they were in but I was shocked by how inexpensive it was. I seem to recall previous episodes set in/near Auckland where the housing market was much more pricey.  They looked a 3-4 bedroom houses, two of which were quite modern, ranging from $1200-1600/mo.  Sign me up. The country is so beautiful.

• Love 2
57 minutes ago, snarts said:

New Zealand. I missed the actual city they were in but I was shocked by how inexpensive it was.

Whitianga is pretty far out in the sticks which could account for the prices.  It's more than an hour to a big city from there.  Think rural.

• Useful 3
  • Love 2

I wonder if the New Zealand couple is still there?  Thinking they might have gotten caught in the COVID shut down on travel. It was evidently a temporary move since they did not say they sold their main house in Indiana, but had sold their 2nd house on a lake along with 2 boats to help finance the move.  New Zealand is a beautiful place.  

I thought the 3rd house was the perfect fit for them and it was only $100 over the $1500/mo they state was their max. 

• Love 4
5 hours ago, laredhead said:

I wonder if the New Zealand couple is still there?  Thinking they might have gotten caught in the COVID shut down on travel. It was evidently a temporary move since they did not say they sold their main house in Indiana, but had sold their 2nd house on a lake along with 2 boats to help finance the move.  New Zealand is a beautiful place.  

I thought the 3rd house was the perfect fit for them and it was only $100 over the $1500/mo they state was their max. 

The husband was grinning a bit when he talked about saving money, so he may not have been that serious.

The wife said with the salary cut, it didn't make financial sense for them to take a gap year there.

Only makes sense if they travel from there, not only to rest of NZ, which is really worth doing, but also Australia and SE Asia.

But they didn't mention saving money on rent to fund travel expenses.

Other than the setting, their everyday life in a small NZ town is probably not that different from living in a small town in IN, though I don't know if that was the case or they were near Indianapolis.

If she has to work full time and the kids go to school, they're not going to be taking a lot of 3 or 4-day weekend trips so it would have to be in the summer that they take longer trips.

Yeah I would have taken the 3rd property, $1600 for a modern 4-bedroom home?  That has to be less than mortgage back home, though if they're already paying the mortgage, they may not want to spend too much on rent.  But it was only $100 more than the budget they originally had set.

• Love 2
6 hours ago, Cetacean said:

Whitianga is pretty far out in the sticks which could account for the prices.  It's more than an hour to a big city from there.  Think rural.

Just looked it up on Google Maps.  2.5 hours from Auckland!

Only nearby airports seem to be for light aircraft so you might have to drive for a couple of hours to fly to say Wellington or the popular destinations on the South Island.

Or to travel to Australia or Asia.

So they chose a place somewhat cut off from transport links.  They must have flown there to Auckland and then drove or took a bus?

"Other than the setting, their everyday life in a small NZ town is probably not that different from living in a small town in IN, though I don't know if that was the case or they were near Indianapolis"

They were from Columbus Indiana. It is a small town (with very affordable housing). It is also a tourist destination - if you love modernist architecture. 

I visited (from Seattle) in 2019.  There are architecturally significant buildings from other eras as well, a beautiful natural setting with parks and a river, a quaint and nicely preserved downtown and lots of lovely public art. It has an interesting history as a company town (Cummins Inc.).

• Useful 2
On 2/11/2021 at 2:25 AM, Amethyst said:

I loved that!  He was definitely a good-looking older man!  

• Love 1
On 2/8/2021 at 2:08 PM, StatisticalOutlier said:

Absolutely. 

When I go to NYC now, I have to stay in Jersey City instead of Manhattan.  It's walking distance to the PATH train, and then only like 10 minutes into Manhattan, so seemingly not a big deal.  But it's a lot different from just coming out a door and being in the middle of things.

And even within a city--if someone likes the vibe in the East Village in NYC, for example, then I would advise them to do what they can to live there.  Other areas will offer shopping and restaurants out the door, maybe even better shopping and restaurants by some standards, but they won't be East Village shopping and restaurants.

I live in Manhattan and think you’re exactly right. I want to get on the subway to do something different and not have to travel to do the usual. Even a short trip becomes a barrier. People won’t even date someone who lives in an inconvenient neighborhood for the love of god (if you have to change trains fugetaboutit.) Maybe once they settle in their priorities will change or they’ll make friends somewhere else and they’ll consider different locations. Until then, live where you want to be.

• Love 2
On 2/12/2021 at 10:29 PM, kirklandia said:

They were from Columbus Indiana. It is a small town (with very affordable housing). It is also a tourist destination - if you love modernist architecture. 

I visited (from Seattle) in 2019.  There are architecturally significant buildings from other eras as well, a beautiful natural setting with parks and a river, a quaint and nicely preserved downtown and lots of lovely public art. It has an interesting history as a company town (Cummins Inc.).

I brought up Columbus, Indiana, several years ago in the HH USA forum, in a discussion about laws about fences around swimming pools--my shock at seeing a house in a very nice neighborhood (right by the entrance to the Miller House) that had an unfenced yard with a pool.

https://forums.primetimer.com/topic/3252-house-hunters-buying-in-the-usa/?do=findComment&comment=2374385

Re living outside London.  I lived outside Oxford, in a very quaint village.  I often caught a train to London and spent the day, and came back home.  I loved living in a tiny village, and loved going to London.  But, at the end of the day, the village life was best.  Public transportation in the U.K. is much easier than here in the USA.

• Love 4

Da Nang couple ended up with the cheapest place so that they wouldn't be pressured to make extra money.

They don't have regular jobs so they have to constantly sell their services.

OK but they're not spring chickens either.  If couple hundred dollars made that much of a difference at this point in their lives, they have to look at making money.  Nice to enjoy life but if they're going for the lowest costs, at least be able to save money but they didn't mention that.

They're not banking money for Social Security either so 20-30 years on, that could be tough too.

Only saving grace is these places have rooftop terraces, though at least one of them may be shared.

Also the locals were surprised to learn they were Americans?😲

• Love 3
8 hours ago, buttersister said:

Richard! I love your wallpaper. 

This is the pandemic show we’ve been asking for—Richard hosting a look back/where are they now?! Keep them coming, plus Adrian’s Paris and Kevin anywhere in Germany.

Same! I would pay for Discovery Plus if Richard, Adrian and Kevin did a commentary show on HHI or even main HH. They could comment on the places they don't go, like Vietnam or Thailand and every so often, where are they now. Bring in the Irish guy and the woman from Amsterdam who is so snarky (I'm blanking on their names). They definitely would be as funny as the comedians on the HH commentary show.

• Love 6

You know, it's funny This might have been my favorite of the "Where are they now" episodes. The producers obviously know the jewel they have in Richard, and made him as much of the episode as the couple. Thank you for those pictures of Young Richard! I wonder why it's never mentioned that our first time meeting him was in his own HHI episode?

And as much as we love to snark on the HH couples (admit it, it's part of the fun of the show at this point, lol), I was sorry to find that Mac and Giulia had broken up, even though I wasn't surprised. What did surprise me, was that Mac was the one to return to Canada and seemed fine(mostly) about things not working out, while Giulia was still in London (she didn't want to go there originally, it was Mac's choice), and was the one to get teary-eyed when recalling the end of the relationship. I would have expected the opposite.

About the houses: I loved that mews house they were in, and was surprised to see she wasn't there anymore. I liked the place she's in now (at least what we could see of it), but it actually seemed larger than the former place. 

That's all. MORE "Where Are They Now" episodes please!!

• Love 8
6 hours ago, Cetacean said:

I like the "where are they now" episodes but this was like a bad marriage counseling session.  I didn't like it one bit.

That was very cringeworthy and all her “like”s 🤦🏼.

• Love 4

Cologne: Kevin! 😍😘 He was so adorable when he kept cracking up while showing the funky apartment. Lady, those weren’t taxidermy animals. 🙄 I liked the funky apartment, but the place they picked was nice, too. The garden was so zen.

London: That was interesting. 🤨 I think she was too much of a social butterfly for him. Loved seeing those pictures of a young Richard. 

• Love 6
18 hours ago, chessiegal said:

When the London woman said her relationship with the guy had scarred her for life, she lost me. Get over yourself. She seemed to have been successful before him and still was.

Seemed like she downsized on the budget.  In the original episode they had a real healthy budget for such a young couple.

She made a bunch of money in real estate in Canada and apparently liked spending it and he couldn’t keep up.

But she’s doing some fashion line and the money up hasn’t materialized yet so maybe a more modest place?

• Love 2
6 hours ago, aghst said:

Seemed like she downsized on the budget.  In the original episode they had a real healthy budget for such a young couple.

She made a bunch of money in real estate in Canada and apparently liked spending it and he couldn’t keep up.

But she’s doing some fashion line and the money up hasn’t materialized yet so maybe a more modest place?

She said she had graduated before him but I couldn't figure out their ages. How long had she been working to make a bunch of money? My sense is that she is from a well-off family. Perhaps his family is much less well off and that had a lot to do with their breakup.

• Love 2
On 2/20/2021 at 12:46 AM, aghst said:

I didn’t think that place seemed modest at all for the area. It didn’t have a walk-in closer but the living space seemed as larger or even a bit larger based on the size of the original apartment.

It also wasn’t an issue of her wanting him to keep up with the spending, it was his ego that couldn’t handle having her pay more which they both acknowledged.

Edited by biakbiak
  • Love 3

He cited that she wanted to always go to 5-star hotels, Michelin restaurants, etc.  Sounded like he didn't want to do those things as much  because he couldn't afford them.  If they stayed at 3-star hotels, he presumably would have been able to pay.

As for her new apt. maybe she's not paying much less but based on the few quick shots they showed, it seemed like the bathroom was more cramped and the place didn't have quite the finishes of the apt. they originally chose.

Sounds like she keeps busy, socializing a lot.  So it would make sense to divert budget from rent to entertainment, going out.

• Love 2
9 minutes ago, aghst said:

He cited that she wanted to always go to 5-star hotels, Michelin restaurants, etc.  Sounded like he didn't want to do those things as much  because he couldn't afford them.  If they stayed at 3-star hotels, he presumably would have been able to pay.

But the point is she was fine paying for both of them to experience those things, it was him making an issue of having to pay for half of it which he himself alluded to.  Also, according to what she said he never told her that was an issue for him. 

I also wish someone would have told him his current hair is just as lame as his last appearance just in a different way!

Edited by biakbiak
  • LOL 4
  • Love 4

Sorry you had to leave Paris, sweetie, but you got the right place in Belgium. Her house phobia felt like bs but maybe that was just her letting her creative juices flow. 🤮 

They were married in SC with a Detroit party? His accent sounded Canadian to me🤗, well, French Canadian. 

I liked the realtor, too. Big uncle energy.

Edited by buttersister
  • Love 2

Main thing about the Belgium episode I noticed is that people in public were wearing masks but of course none of the onscreen people for this episode.

Probably okay for the couple, if they've been living together.  But the agent is an older guy and were they riding together to each location?

Lovely city, though I don't know if she was really that serious about apartments being more hip and happening.  They have to be making the up right?

If she said she wants to be in the city center and be near amenities, that would make more sense.

• Love 4
2 hours ago, aghst said:

Lovely city, though I don't know if she was really that serious about apartments being more hip and happening.  They have to be making the up right?

She's a missionary and he's studying theology, so yeah, not big partiers. They did show them drinking beer though.  They just seemed so awkward to me. 

The prices in the area seemed quite reasonable, especially since it's a college town.  

• Love 1
1 hour ago, snarts said:

She's a missionary and he's studying theology, so yeah, not big partiers. They did show them drinking beer though.  They just seemed so awkward to me. 

What does being a missionary or studying theology have to do with drinking and partying? Are they Mormons? 

• Love 2
2 hours ago, snarts said:

They have an kind of "arranged marriage" vibe. I hope that living together works out for them.

And yeah, her house fears are ridiculous. How can she have lived in Paris and be so naive?

Edited by ArtFossil
  • Love 2
1 hour ago, Grrarrggh said:

What does being a missionary or studying theology have to do with drinking and partying? Are they Mormons? 

The linked wedding announcement mentioned her missionary position forbade dating the first year so,  yeah, I'd be surprised if she was out dancing on bars every night, and he just seemed quiet & nerdy. Whatever floats your boat. 

4 minutes ago, snarts said:

The linked wedding announcement mentioned her missionary position

Hehehehehehehehe.

Haven't seen the ep but I was scanning the thread and that jumped out at me. I'm a 13 year old boy, apparently.

Edited by Irlandesa
  • LOL 13
  • Love 1
2 hours ago, biakbiak said:

Nope, based on google she is an Evangelical Christian. 

They can keep her over there then.

1 hour ago, Irlandesa said:

Hehehehehehehehe.

Haven't seen the ep but I was scanning the thread and that jumped out at me. I'm a 13 year old boy, apparently.

Me, too! Hey, I laugh when someone says “Uranus.” 😏

• LOL 5
  • Love 3

Redcliffe, Australia. My brain is having a hard time sorting through the 3 different accents.

I'll never get these people who want their home to have character. You're in a foreign country, walk outside. Husband was grating but bigger house, with no renos, for same money should win.

They don't need to keep that realtor. Didn't care for him.

• Love 3
10 hours ago, Grizzly said:

Redcliffe, Australia. My brain is having a hard time sorting through the 3 different accents.

I could understand the man from Argentina better than the native English speakers from Ireland and Australia. The way the Aussie's pronounce beach in particular cracks me up.

• Love 2

I think Floor is Florence in another language.  Don't know if the realtor is actually Dutch.  They often have realtors who aren't native to the countries.

I guess they decided to feature the sister story line, as if she moved to be near her but it was really the husband being able to work over there, probably for a year or something.

The Hague looks beautiful.  Didn't know much about it other than the International Criminal Court located there.  The times I've been to Amsterdam, there wasn't enough sun so I don't know if they wait for the right time to film.  Another episode in the Netherlands, they had Floor take the house hunters around by bikes.

• Love 2

Australian couple who moved from England with the guy who wanted to surf and the gal who wanted to be with animals. 

Ugh.  If this couple makes it more than a few months together, I would be surprised.  She is selfish and condescending and he already seems to be seeing red flags.  Poor guy.

• Love 1
1 hour ago, cinsays said:

Australian couple who moved from England with the guy who wanted to surf and the gal who wanted to be with animals. 

Ugh.  If this couple makes it more than a few months together, I would be surprised.  She is selfish and condescending and he already seems to be seeing red flags.  Poor guy.

Yeah,  he seemed really disappointed with the place they chose... but tried to make the most of it. 

1 hour ago, 40Love said:

Yeah,  he seemed really disappointed with the place they chose... but tried to make the most of it. 

seems like he's compromising but she's not budging

not my kind of relationship, but that's his choice

• Love 1
On 2/19/2021 at 9:10 AM, Cetacean said:

I like the "where are they now" episodes but this was like a bad marriage counseling session.  I didn't like it one bit.

Ha, I watch with my daughter and after a few minutes of this one she said “turn it off, I don’t like this one!”

• LOL 1