Type keyword(s) to search

House Hunters International - General Discussion

• Start Topic

1 hour ago, sempervivum said:

Canada to island in Thailand- Come on, for $50 less than the first place, he's willing to duck every time he walks through the living room, and the 'sofa' is barely a chair? Also, why is his English-teaching income so spotty?

Because amateur English teachers are a dime a dozen there.

I couldn’t believe he didn’t know what a daybed was and had never heard of it before. 🙄

Edited by LittleIggy
  • Love 9

That guy in Thailand probably really needed the money that HHI paid him.

Every dime counts, because he didn't like what he was doing in Canada so he moved to a place with much cheaper cost of living.

They say the place has beautiful white sand beaches but the only beach I recall seeing had reddish brown sand.

The agent did another Thai episode too, I think.

• Love 2

I have a  part-time job teaching English to kids in China, via the internet.  I also have a full time job, so it is more for fun.  The hours are really spotty.  I only want to teach 12 classes a week.  Some weeks I am full but for June and July I had 0.  So the income is very sporadic.

It was nice to see the realtor again in Thailand.  She is so pretty and a wicked sense of humor.  Surprised he picked the low ceiling house and his rap was awful.

• Useful 1
  • Love 9

Australia. Realtor Lucas is quite animated. Not sure how I feel about this couple. Santi makes a good point about wanting to spend time with the kids instead of doing projects. Some renos Gerry wanted would blow their budget in house 1. House 2 was a good compromise.

• Love 2

I liked the Australian episode. My husband and I were having fun with all the different accents. The realtor had a Steve Irwin accent which was great :). It was interesting that the kids had different accents, the daughter sounded american and the son sounded british. We figured that they learned English while they were traveling and since they were different ages they picked up the accents of the country they were in at certain age. 

• Like 1
  • Love 6

Prices in Yeppoon were good.  Lucas said best place to live in Australia, the Capricorn Coast.  Seems to be near the Great Barrier Reef destinations but not among them.

Nice that they allowed the children to join in the decision.

I guess the couple didn’t plan to work internationally because the place they chose requires an hour drive to a regional airport before an hour flight to Brisbane International Airport.  No giant cruise ships going up there either.

• Love 2
9 minutes ago, aghst said:

Prices in Yeppoon were good.  Lucas said best place to live in Australia, the Capricorn Coast.  Seems to be near the Great Barrier Reef destinations but not among them.

Nice that they allowed the children to join in the decision.

I guess the couple didn’t plan to work internationally because the place they chose requires an hour drive to a regional airport before an hour flight to Brisbane International Airport.  No giant cruise ships going up there either.

The husband said he got a job working at a hotel. It looks like a beach community so that makes sense. She'll probably end up doing something similar.

• Love 2
On 12/23/2020 at 10:49 AM, aghst said:

They say the place has beautiful white sand beaches but the only beach I recall seeing had reddish brown sand.

There were multiple shots of beaches, and I kept looking for the white sand he said they were known for.  I saw the same sand you did.

I also noticed that at least a couple of the places had wet baths, and not a peep about it, after all the wet-bath deal-breaking drama in another Asian (Thailand, too?) episode.

• Love 3
13 minutes ago, Schnickelfritz said:

No one mentioned the realtor's silly joke.

Where's Yeppoon? Next to your knife and fork.

So that’s what Lucas said? I didn’t catch it and wondered what the joke was. An Aussie “dad joke”! 😆

• LOL 1
  • Love 3
40 minutes ago, StatisticalOutlier said:

There were multiple shots of beaches, and I kept looking for the white sand he said they were known for.  I saw the same sand you did.

I also noticed that at least a couple of the places had wet baths, and not a peep about it, after all the wet-bath deal-breaking drama in another Asian (Thailand, too?) episode.

Yeah I would not put up with a wet bath situation long term.

Once I was in this old building in Italy and they fashioned a shower in this long bathroom space, so it wasn't near the toilet or the sink.  However, the water pooled after you took a shower and took awhile to drain, so even though you weren't walking on puddles when you went to the bathroom, it felt kind of damp whenever you went, even to the opposite end of the bathroom.

Then in these old buildings, they build a very small shower stall, where you can stand up and barely turn around.  Always get puddles after a shower.  Used up extra towels just to soak up the puddles, really a waste since they needed to be laundered more than they otherwise would have been.

The house hunter mentioned being up in Chiang Mai and they even showed pictures of it.  But I'm guessing he chose this location because the rents are cheaper down there.

• Useful 1

Chicago to Dublin. Why does it always seem to be the wife who is so critical? Her hating the subway tile should be required viewing for all designers. But she did like the suburban place. Going with the subway tile, that's a shock. Loved the dog!

Edited by Grizzly
10 hours ago, Grizzly said:

Chicago to Dublin. Why does it always seem to be the wife who is so critical? Her hating the subway tile should required viewing for all designers. But she did like the suburban place. Going with the subway tile, that's a shock. Loved the dog!

I started watch this episode and fell asleep at some point (I think during the second house). I too loved the dog though. I liked the conversation that the dog was coming with them, as of course he(?) would be ;). 

• Love 1
On 12/23/2020 at 2:01 AM, buttersister said:

Whoa is that guy annoying. Guessed he’d pick #3 because realtor, who I love, didn’t tell him to get his feet the hell off that couch.

I think it’s all about the feet when it comes to guessing which house gets picked, especially in Thailand.  That happened in a recent episode too. 

• Love 1
18 hours ago, Grizzly said:

Chicago to Dublin. Why does it always seem to be the wife who is so critical? Her hating the subway tile should be required viewing for all designers. But she did like the suburban place. Going with the subway tile, that's a shock. Loved the dog!

Because so many boys/men are raised to think they must be silent and stoical. Loved her hate for subway tile. I'm going to use her line about the rats!

• Love 2
9 hours ago, Grrarrggh said:

Because so many boys/men are raised to think they must be silent and stoical. Loved her hate for subway tile. I'm going to use her line about the rats!

Oh no...I was just coming here to say that I thought her attempt at being "amusing" (re: rats) was stupid and unfunny.

• Love 5

Chicago doesn't have subways does it?

Noticed in this Dublin episode, they didn't talk up north or south of the river like they did in that other recent Dublin episode.

Looks like again, the house hunters went to visit the homes separately from the realtor, who met them there.

But then they all went in together into those tiny spaces.  So if the separate cars are about distancing, didn't matter once they visited the actual homes.

1 hour ago, DonnaMae said:

I don't understand the hatred for subway tile.  I like its uncluttered look.

For me, anything with a lot of grouting as the backsplash behind the stove could potentially mean a lot of hassles cleaning up.

That or some of the fancier textured backsplashes, how much more work to clean up splatters?

• Useful 2
40 minutes ago, aghst said:

Chicago doesn't have subways does it?

Sure it does.  (And add me to the group who thought her "rats" comment was funny.)

318px-Chicago-state_red_line_stop.jpg

40 minutes ago, aghst said:

For me, anything with a lot of grouting as the backsplash behind the stove could potentially mean a lot of hassles cleaning up.

That's what I think, too.  Anybody with experience?

I have a window behind my stove and sink, with metal miniblinds on it--about 18" high and 6 feet wide.  Talk about a PITA to clean, especially because it's a relatively deep counter so I have to be leaning over to even reach the blinds.

• Love 3
On 12/2/2020 at 12:06 AM, blixie said:

I don't think I've seen a bigger asshole on this show than Sam. Like to the point I thought he was trolling. I did like the realtor trying to all but murder him with her mind. 

Right? He was so insulting! He complained about everything and made snarky remarks and smarmy faces. Ugh...and we wonder why so many people in other countries don't like us....

• Love 2
On 12/27/2020 at 2:12 PM, StatisticalOutlier said:

That's what I think, too.  Anybody with experience?

I have a subway tile backsplash. It's sort of....plain after awhile (I also have the dreaded white cabinets. Never again!). The problem with the grout I'm having is behind the sink, as the backsplash goes around the whole kitchen between the cabinets and counters. But I think that would be a problem no matter the backsplash - the grout/caulk eventually starts to come apart and it has to be replaced.

But behind the stove, it hasn't been a real big problem.

• Love 2

There is special (that means expensive) grout that will never stain, I have it on my back splashes.    Fortunately, that means you never have to seal the grout, and I absolutely hate sealing grout.   I've never found a sealer that worked very well either.   It also looks like regular grout, but not as grainy.   When I say it's expensive, that means the premixed type is $200 or more a bucket, but that does a lot of tile.   I bet any tile store has it, but people go cheap a lot.  

One thing I love about HHI are the traditional tiles that some kitchens and floors have. 

Edited by CrazyInAlabama
  • Love 4
17 hours ago, CrazyInAlabama said:

There is special (that means expensive) grout that will never stain, I have it on my back splashes.    Fortunately, that means you never have to seal the grout, and I absolutely hate sealing grout.   I've never found a sealer that worked very well either.   It also looks like regular grout, but not as grainy.  

One thing I love about HHI are the traditional tiles that some kitchens and floors have. 

OOOH, could I ask what it is? I will pay to never have to worry about resealing caulk or grout again!

My sweetie Kevin! 🥰 So they picked the most expensive place. The American wife said she as a nurse. I wonder if she could get a nursing job in Germany. Wouldn’t she have to be fluent in German? Loved all the shots of cats!

Edited by LittleIggy
  • Love 3

ML89, I have a glass tile back splash that is grouted with a very expensive product that is not water based.  I think CrazyInAlabama probably has the same stuff or something very similar.  It takes a special, very potent remover to wipe it down after it is installed.  I cannot remember the name of it, but any flooring/tile store could probably help you if you explain what you are looking for.  It really works.  The back splash has been in for 4 years, and looks brand new - even behind the kitchen sink and the range.

The wife in the episode about the couple moving from Argentina to Australia got on my nerves.  She kept harping on wanting a lower price house, and that her husband could move walls, and do other major projects, while the husband continued to say he didn't want to spend his time doing all of that.  She even admitted that he did not have experience in much more than painting.  I wanted to scream by the 50th time she said she wanted to live by the beach.  I would have taken the house with the pool, and agreed with the husband that they might not want to go to the beach everyday.  I never figured out what she had done on the cruise ship where they met.  He was a chef.  I like the Australian houses, because they seem more open and airy than houses in America, but that could be camera angles.        

Edited by laredhead
added content
  • Love 3
9 hours ago, LittleIggy said:

My sweetie Kevin! 🥰 

He is a snarky charmer. I like him too. Pretty sure the US wife could find employment in Germany. Nurses are always in demand. With her potential income, they should be fine. 

• Love 1
1 hour ago, laredhead said:

The wife in the episode about the couple moving from Argentina to Australia got on my nerves.  She kept harping on wanting a lower price house, and that her husband could move walls, and do other major projects, while the husband continued to say he didn't want to spend his time doing all of that.  She even admitted that he did not have experience in much more than painting.  I wanted to scream by the 50th time she said she wanted to live by the beach.  I would have taken the house with the pool, and agreed with the husband that they might not want to go to the beach everyday.  I never figured out what she had done on the cruise ship where they met.  He was a chef.  I like the Australian houses, because they seem more open and airy than houses in America, but that could be camera angles.        

She worked as a massage therapist. Which I'm sure she could still do.

• Useful 1
  • Love 1

Third house in the "Cologne region" was the best choice but it's a small farming village, far away from the center of a big city.

Could be a culture shock from Phoenix but it sounded like they were in a suburban area because a yard for their dogs was a priority.

If the American can't speak German, how would she work as a nurse?

Maybe if they were near a US military base.

• Love 2
23 minutes ago, Dehumidifier said:

Did anyone else think the American wife in the Cologne episode looked like she was pregnant? Even more so in the "after" interview. Didn't hear anything mentioned.

They both looked very out-of-shape, ie, flabby. Somebody needs to inform them about high-waisted jeans, because the muffin tops were out of control with these 2.

• LOL 3
2 hours ago, aghst said:

If the American can't speak German, how would she work as a nurse?

She said she was going to use those skills but change careers. Based on her LinkedIn she is doing consulting on baby products and had a startup of her own that was on Shark Tank for a baby mattress.

• Useful 5
3 hours ago, sempervivum said:

Phoenix to Cologne- Which place did they pick (I fell asleep)? The German wife was very off-putting; apparently opposites do attract. 

She was just so blah - about everything. She acted she didn't even really like her wife all that much.

Edited by TipseyGirl
  • Love 1
39 minutes ago, TipseyGirl said:

She was just so blah - about everything. She acted she didn't even really like her wife all that much.

I thought the opposite as they held hands the entire time and her wife seemed to understand and accept her more taciturn, serious personality. 

• Useful 1
  • Love 3
20 hours ago, LittleIggy said:

My sweetie Kevin! 🥰 So they picked the most expensive place. The American wife said she as a nurse. I wonder if she could get a nursing job in Germany. Wouldn’t she have to be fluent in German? Loved all the shots of cats!

I don't know where Cologne is located in relation to the US military bases, but they often hire civilian nurses to supplement the military staff at their larger hospitals.  The woman said she was a maternity nurse and I know a couple of women who lived overseas near US bases, who got jobs at the base hospital working labor and delivery.  One was the spouse of a military dentist, the other had no relationship to anyone in the military, just happened to live in the area.  From what I understand, if she got a job at a US hospital, she wouldn't even need a German nursing license, the military uses US licensure.

• Love 1

Back to the Bali "couple" who seemed like they lived in two different worlds. Turned out, they did. In the saving grace of the episode, for me, she announces at the end that she's gotten a job in Bangkok. Since that's not exactly commuting distance, she's likely got a place there. And jungle boy can "take care of things here" and hang out with gecko poop to his heart's content. 

^I watched an episode yesterday that also involved a couple moving to Bangkok. I think they were actually real instead of actors. He was a wealthy business guy and she already had a teaching job in Thailand when they met. I get what she was saying that she was worried about running into her students of course that was the house they picked. It was nice to see all the houses were modern and nice choices (not to sound like an ignorant American, which I realized that comes of as). I would have picked the third house but I get why they didn't as it was over budget. 

Edited by blueray
  • Love 1
58 minutes ago, blueray said:

^I watched an episode yesterday that also involved a couple moving to Bangkok. I think they were actually real instead of actors. He was a wealthy business guy and she already had a teaching job in Thailand when they met.

I was surprised that she had a job teaching English, and had been doing it for two years.  At first I thought it was just her accent (Brazil?) and super slow delivery that made it sound like she didn't have a good command of English, but there were two times that I remember that the wealthy business guy mentioned their problems communicating because he doesn't know if she didn't hear him or didn't understand him. 

And there was one comment he made in a duo TH that she said she couldn't respond to because she didn't know the word--I think it was "precedence," like he said something took precedence.  Oh well...at least her slow delivery will make it easier for her students to follow what she's saying.

I love they way they always show giant tangled arrays of utility lines in Bangkok.

• Love 4
11 minutes ago, Jodithgrace said:

It was "We have a contender," that she didn't understand. It did seem odd that she taught English, since English is obviously not her first language. But she does speak it well, even if she doesn't always get American idioms. 

Thank you! 

I know nothing about people teaching English in foreign lands, but there sure are a lot of people doing it, to judge from HHI.  I would think that knowledge of idioms would be an indication of fluency, and would be a requirement to teach it.  I know that's what I would want in a teacher, but maybe I'm just more demanding.

• Love 2
1 hour ago, StatisticalOutlier said:

Thank you! 

I know nothing about people teaching English in foreign lands, but there sure are a lot of people doing it, to judge from HHI.  I would think that knowledge of idioms would be an indication of fluency, and would be a requirement to teach it.  I know that's what I would want in a teacher, but maybe I'm just more demanding.

I’m amazed that she teaches English, and I work in the TESOL field. Schools usually want native speakers. That’s why you see so many Americans on HHI who got a job teaching English. If I were Thai sending my kid to a school to learn English, I wouldn’t want her teaching my kid.

Is the guy still wealthy? If so, why such a low rent budget?

When I saw that the episode was set in Thailand, I was hoping for Lala, the fun real estate lady.

• Useful 1
  • Love 4

Yeah I wondered about the cryptocurrency reference for the HH in Bangkok.

Looks like he stopped working, has been traveling for a good while now.

He's going to start a business in Thailand to bring in some kind of income so maybe not that loaded.

The agent wasn't Lala but she's also done at least one previous episode in Thailand.

Did they drive to the homes with the agent like they've been doing in the Europe episodes?

They had a wide shot of the couple next to each other and the agent a few feet from them.  Maybe they couldn't have them space further apart and still get all of them in one shot