Type keyword(s) to search

House Hunters International - General Discussion

• Start Topic

I think a joke is when people laugh. Lol I don’t think they thought it was very funny. It didn’t seem humorous to me either.  Even so, it was poor taste for the show to air it, imo. I don’t recall ever hearing anything like it before on that show. 

• Useful 1
  • Love 1
43 minutes ago, SunnyBeBe said:

I think a joke is when people laugh. Lol I don’t think they thought it was very funny. It didn’t seem humorous to me either.  Even so, it was poor taste for the show to air it, imo. I don’t recall ever hearing anything like it before on that show. 

I haven’t watched the episode. It wasn’t Richard was it?

Paris: There was something off about that couple. When he kissed her at the end, she made a face as she did when he referred to them as “two lovers.”

Thailand: The little girl was adorbs. I liked the place they picked, but I can’t imagine having a two year old sleeping in another building by herself. The husband was nice, but the wife annoyed me with her non-stop ugly American nitpicking.

• Useful 1
  • Love 2

Oh please help me..  I didn't intend to doze off right at the end of Paris, but I did.  Did the couple take the teeny place right in Paris, the larger one outside, or the roomier rental in Paris?  Bummer, so cranky when I woke up and it was over.  Thank you !

4 hours ago, Chippings said:

Oh please help me..  I didn't intend to doze off right at the end of Paris, but I did.  Did the couple take the teeny place right in Paris, the larger one outside, or the roomier rental in Paris?  Bummer, so cranky when I woke up and it was over.  Thank you !

They took the 2nd one outside of Paris.

• Useful 1
  • Love 1

As soon as I saw that big apartment outside of Paris (by 15 minutes on the RER), I thought, Dude, your protesting to remain inside the ring road is almost adorable. Did he own that camera shop or is her business pretty robust? Or both! Their budget seemed more than decent. Loved the trip to that store--gorgeous stuff.

Although, as Adrian has told us for years, buying space in the City Center est tres cher! Wondering if the Pigalle place was one of her company's or a friend's place😶

• Useful 1
  • Love 3
17 hours ago, WI GIRL56 said:

They took the 2nd one outside of Paris.

And when they showed it after the purchase, one of the rooms was chock full of her work.  So there's no way in the world they could have fit into the tiny one.

ETA: And I rolled my eyes when she mentioned some trait of hers and said, "You knew that when you married me."  Uh, they got married after knowing each other for like a month.  So probably not.

Edited by StatisticalOutlier
  • Useful 1
  • LOL 2
  • Love 2

Thailand: I "pre-hated" the woman as soon as she came onto the screen. The more she talked, the more I despised her. Too bad no one told her she's not "at home" anymore! Decided to care for my blood pressure by not continuing to watch. Real life is stressful enough. 😅

• Useful 1
  • LOL 3
  • Love 2

Finally watching Edinburgh “no jobs” - what was up with all the weird shots? Let’s focus on the front door opening, two shots of the windshield wipers, the guy’s shoes on a coffee table - was this someone’s show reel for film school?

• Useful 1
  • LOL 4
  • Love 2

So, we got to hear "I'm an American and I'm used to..." again in the Paris episode.  Don't leave America if you want everything American in your new location.  

I really liked the large two bedroom apartment in central Paris.  Although they kept referencing buying versus renting (return on money, etc.), I think she is so new to living in Paris that it would have been valuable to rent for a while first to make sure she wanted to continue to live in France.

• Useful 1
  • LOL 1
  • Love 6
4 hours ago, seacliffsal said:

So, we got to hear "I'm an American and I'm used to..." again in the Paris episode.  Don't leave America if you want everything American in your new location.  

I really liked the large two bedroom apartment in central Paris.  Although they kept referencing buying versus renting (return on money, etc.), I think she is so new to living in Paris that it would have been valuable to rent for a while first to make sure she wanted to continue to live in France.

I also don't understand the mania to purchase when starting in a new place.

If I had moved to a new country and just got married to someone I barely knew and had what frankly appears to be a marginal business, I would want to keep as much liquid cash available as possible until I was sure of things.

Of course I don't know what it means to purchase a $400,000 place in France in terms of financing options. In the US, one assumes that one just needs cash for the down and closing. In other places, the full purchase price would be required especially for a non-citizen.

Even so I would still be reluctant to give up flexibility in her position. 

• Useful 1
  • Love 5
3 hours ago, LittleIggy said:

Munich: So good to see my sweetie Kevin again. He was styling in that blue overcoat! That lady appears to have hit the jackpot with her husband. He seemed like a mensch. The little boy was adorable.

Yes, once she got past the need to have open and new, I really liked this family. How cute were they in lederhosen?

• Useful 1
  • Love 4
23 minutes ago, Grrarrggh said:

I didn't like the Munich woman. Her ridiculous claim that her former bedroom was 4 times the size of one they saw. And has she never heard of birth control?

My guess is the marriage happened because she got pregnant, and it wasn't a honeymoon baby. We have friends who eloped and they were open that the pregnancy came first. They were engaged, so things just sped up a little. But yeah, she should have figured out how that happens by now.

• Useful 1
  • Love 1

Oh that cute little boy and husband in Munich had me smiling ear to ear- so sweet! And I think they wife expressed how grateful she is that her husband has accepted her son so completely. I really am rooting for them. I haven’t seen such a lovely family in this show ever. 

• Love 5
6 hours ago, Grrarrggh said:

I didn't like the Munich woman. Her ridiculous claim that her former bedroom was 4 times the size of one they saw. And has she never heard of birth control?

What about him? It takes two people to make a baby. 🙄

• Useful 1
  • Love 7

So the wine couple in Spain and Norman: Poster in HH forum said they'd already moved to DC. Also Norman's IG page is gone? I'm either a little nervous about Norman or she'd had it living in a tiny place with his bike and skis and who knows what other things that gave him So Much Happiness to look at.

2 hours ago, StatisticalOutlier said:

They got on my last nerve with that fucking dog. 

Are you kidding? The dog was the best behaved house hunter I've ever seen! Seemed to like everything, not picky at all. Did not jump on the furniture to try it out. More people should act like Norman.

• LOL 7
  • Love 11

That couple with their ridiculous "natural wine". It's just a con to get you to pay more money. The dog was the best thing about the episode. The relator seemed nice as well, especially when she was trying to sell them on that shower!

Edited by Grrarrggh
  • Love 3

Adrian in Paris, another great realtor! She is so practical and amusing at the same time. Jordan seemed like a nice guy but not liking his man purse/fanny pack. Admire his decision to reinvent himself. The apartments were bright and not too small.

• Love 7

Young couple in Thailand annoyed me. Their voices, him not wanting to rely on her for money, her wanting space, him insisting on a gym. When they said they hadn't considered marriage yet, I was like no kidding.

• Love 10
On 9/13/2017 at 1:19 PM, KLovestoShop said:

Just watched the couple in Australia and I think the husband was a real schmuck.  He had no respect for his new wife, with his only concern being HIS music.  He only cared about perfect acoustics for his recording studio, and not about the fact that this studio could cause his wife many sleepless nights.  And if the short performances we saw, this guy needs a shot of reality and realize he's a VERY long shot for a real music career.  

They just played a rerun here in Australia. The first thing I did was google to see if anyone else thought that guy was the douchiest douche that ever douches, and I found this thread. THEN I looked him up. The sad news is they had a kid this year (feel so sorry for the wife). The good news is he closed up the studio he turned the master bedroom into: https://m.facebook.com/story.php?story_fbid=1698681653619572&id=757079611113119

• Useful 1
  • LOL 1
11 hours ago, Grizzly said:

Young couple in Thailand annoyed me. Their voices, him not wanting to rely on her for money, her wanting space, him insisting on a gym. When they said they hadn't considered marriage yet, I was like no kidding.

Ugh they were awful!  You’re in Thailand and don’t have a job. Get out and walk/run. Buy some weights. His insistence on “I must have a gym membership” drove me nuts. 

• Love 12

Paris with Jordan, the dancer reinventing his career: Wow, you can get a cute place like that first one for only $1350 in PARIS? Although there was a disturbing amount of graffiti.

Also, who knew you  could get a masters in 'Tourism'?? Dude, you're going to end up as a tour guide, don't waste your $$

• Love 3
57 minutes ago, Seelouis said:

Ugh they were awful!  You’re in Thailand and don’t have a job. Get out and walk/run. Buy some weights. His insistence on “I must have a gym membership” drove me nuts. 

Considering they are both from Bethesda, MD I'm not surprised he acted like an entitled rich kid. Disappointed, but not surprised.

• Love 8
1 hour ago, Seelouis said:

And apparently he (or should I say she) was also going to be paying for the martial arts classes regardless.
I was so disgusted with their catty remarks about the landlady of one place not speaking much English. Well, you assholes don’t speak or understand Thai, do you, which is spoken in Thailand? 

Edited by LittleIggy
  • Love 17
8 minutes ago, LittleIggy said:

And apparently he (or should I say she) was also going to be paying for the martial arts classes regardless.
I was so disgusted with their catty remarks about the landlady of one place not speaking much English. Well, you assholes don’t speak or understand Thai, do you, which is spoken in Thailand? 

Right!  “I guess we should learn some Thai”. Ya think?  You’re in Thailand!!!

• Love 10
13 hours ago, Grizzly said:

Adrian in Paris, another great realtor! She is so practical and amusing at the same time. Jordan seemed like a nice guy but not liking his man purse/fanny pack. Admire his decision to reinvent himself. The apartments were bright and not too small.

I loved Jordan.  Coming from New York, he kept finding those tiny spaces in Paris to be big!  Adrian is always great and they bonded over their love of hats.

• Love 10
On 10/16/2020 at 1:15 PM, Grizzly said:

Are you kidding? The dog was the best behaved house hunter I've ever seen! Seemed to like everything, not picky at all. Did not jump on the furniture to try it out. More people should act like Norman.

I agree that it was well behaved, but I don't think people should take dogs into other people's homes unless they've asked for permission.  I also got sick of hearing the word "norman."

And every time they said he liked something, I thought, "How do you know?"  If a dog went into an apartment it didn't like, would it snarl?  I doubt it.

I don't like episodes centered around children, and I don't like episodes centered around dogs. 

On 10/17/2020 at 9:09 AM, sempervivum said:

Paris with Jordan, the dancer reinventing his career: Wow, you can get a cute place like that first one for only $1350 in PARIS? Although there was a disturbing amount of graffiti.

I didn't see this episode, but I'm always shocked at the amount of graffiti in Paris, as well as other European cities, and it doesn't seem to bother them.  It does me.  

Edited by StatisticalOutlier
Fixed a comma fault! I'm losing it!
  • Love 6

Jordan the dancer in Paris. So cute. He and our favorite Parisian real estate agent are both mad about hats. Fresh attitude. Walked into the tiniest apartment and was like OMG it’s so big! LOL New Yorker. Second one, a studio, was impossibly tiny. Just a pull-out loveseat, not even large enough for an actual bed. Third one (the “Sacre-Coeur” apartment, because you could kind of see the back side of it off in the distance) was also a tight fit, but at least it had a separate sleeping area. A bit too suburban for his tastes, though, and also a fourth-floor walkup. Last on my list. I would have stretched the budget to take the first apartment, relatively large and in the ideal central location. I know the stated budget and prices often are part of production shenanigans, but I wish they’d fake a more notable difference. Time and again, we see people “choose” the worst or most questionable option ostensibly to save $100, which would rarely actually happen in real life for anyone with the means to move overseas to begin with.

• Love 4
2 hours ago, StatisticalOutlier said:

I didn't see this episode, but I'm always shocked at the amount of graffiti in Paris, as well as other European cities, and it doesn't seem to bother them.  It does me.  

https://en.graffitiparis.com/

1 hour ago, Sheikh Yerbouti said:

Time and again, we see people “choose” the worst or most questionable option ostensibly to save $100, which would rarely actually happen in real life for anyone with the means to move overseas to begin with.

Really they're saving $1200. Just because you have the money to move doesn't mean you can afford an expensive place to live. Especially if you're a student.

• Love 2
4 hours ago, LittleIggy said:

Just finished watching this one. They were a somewhat annoying couple but I didn't think they sounded catty when they said they had to learn Thai. They are on camera, they have to say something. They will probably learn it from their students.

1 hour ago, Dehumidifier said:

Just finished watching this one. They were a somewhat annoying couple but I didn't think they sounded catty when they said they had to learn Thai. They are on camera, they have to say something. They will probably learn it from their students.

To me, they sounded sheepish that they didn't know the language. And I think they had already picked up at least a little, because they were able to get the gist of what the agent was saying.

• Love 1
19 minutes ago, Sheikh Yerbouti said:

To me, they sounded sheepish that they didn't know the language. And I think they had already picked up at least a little, because they were able to get the gist of what the agent was saying.

Agree.

Oh, I love Redon, with his super colorful outfits and over the top responses. I want him to join Adrian on all the Parisian episodes, arguing with the prospective homeowners: “You don’t want to live here. The kitchen smell will get on your clothes. You know, I’m just ... done!”

• LOL 1
  • Love 1

Ugh! Hairdresser sisters in Mexico City.. I fell asleep just before the reveal can anybody help? I’m hoping the more reasonable sister one and they picked the last apartment with the rooftop deck and cool neighborhood.

• Useful 1
1 hour ago, Grizzly said:

Breda. So who was caring for all those kids while she was busy being a professional? She wants Dutch charm but complained bedrooms weren't big enough. Hello, small rooms is Dutch charm.

Seriously. I don’t remember which place it was, but when they showed the kitchen I was like “Nice big kitchen!” and the wife immediately said it was small. 🙄 And God forbid two of the kids would have to share a room! 🤭

• Useful 1
  • Love 4
9 hours ago, chessiegal said:

So do you have to do your own maintenance on a rental in The Netherlands? He kept complaining about maintenance on the older place.

No, of course not. My BIL and SIL were always hopping in and out of their rental  to take care of things  for the tenant. And if I heard 'Dutch Charm" one more time I  thought I would throw  something at the  tv. The outside of the houses are almost all  typical Dutch with the  insides modernized.

• Useful 1
  • LOL 1
  • Love 1

I always imagine a producer just off camera saying “I’m not sure the viewers will understand what you want. Can you say ‘Dutch charm’ again?” Lol. 

Edited by Seelouis
  • Useful 1
  • LOL 6
  • Love 2