Type keyword(s) to search

House Hunters International - General Discussion

• Start Topic

Apulia Italy.  She says "I work in the resilience sector. We always prepare the governments for the worst case scenario".
I'll bet she has her hands full.

Edited by kirklandia
  • LOL 1
  • Love 8
18 minutes ago, kirklandia said:

Apulia Italy.  She says "I work in the resilience sector. We always prepare the governments for the worst case scenario". I'll bet she has her hands full.

If she's working with the US, I'd say she's frustrated they aren't listening. 

• Love 6

Issaquah, WA to Brighton, UK- The couple originally met in London, and always wanted to return; they also think living in a $3.5K/month house in a wealthy tourist city with their 3 teens will teach them about the greater world.

Dad particularly believes that a rental with some chipped paint and 'outdated' appliances will show those darn kids how the other half lives. 😑 

• LOL 17
  • Love 3

Obviously things producers suggested that he say.

They wanted some roomy place in a convenient location and that's what they went for.

I wonder how they dealt with that bathroom with shower heads on a tall ceiling with no shower curtains.

• LOL 4

I live near the Issaquah to Brighton family.  The house they currently own and live in, is not very big or expensive to Microsoft Land standards.  Older Subaru and mini van owners, not the hoity toity big spenders the show made them out to be.  Nice kids, Mother a bit too helicoptery.  They are big into the Green New Deal.  So again, nice kids, parent's trying too hard to be more than they are.  JMHO of course.  

• Useful 2
  • Love 6
13 hours ago, Pine said:

not the hoity toity big spenders the show made them out to be.  Nice kids, Mother a bit too helicoptery.  They are big into the Green New Deal. 

I thought they were nice, by the standards of a reality show. And I'm sure they were given the 'theme' by the showrunners. As far as spending, well, they're paying what to most Americans would be big bucks for housing, without working, and with 3 kids all on the cusp of college, all basically on a whim. So clearly they're 1) big earners and 2) big savers. Hope they still have jobs to go back to post-COVID 19.

But can I point out the self indulgence and tone-deafness of people who 'believe in the GND' jetting to what is essentially a long vacation in the UK?  Yeah, Dad, you can walk to the bakery. BFD.

• LOL 3

Brighton family.

Heliciptermom fersure!

Kept whining for home not too different cuz kids already making a big change moving across the pond. 

They're teenagers starting to differentiate. 

If they're too much of snowflakes in Mom's opinion, then she hasn't raised them too well...to be stronger or courageous or like adventure, or new things....IMHO. plus Mom lived there when she wad young... didn't she have a good time?

It's not like they have to learn a new language even. 

Dad had the right idea....a little rustic...ha!  Very little at $3500. It's only a year, too. 

I wd love to live in England anytime..... after C19 is tamed. 

Wish I wd have gone years ago.  

• Love 5

There must be several Cabo towns at the end of Baja California.

My recollection of other Cabo episodes was that it wasn't near a busy street.

But they probably had higher budgets.

• Love 1

The St Thomas episode. The woman. As we used to say on Television Without Pity: I hate her with the fire of a thousand nuns. Narcissistic. Self-absorbed. Cold. I hope the man, who seems like a reasonable human, buys a place in St Thomas WITH a pool and dumps her.

• LOL 4
  • Love 4
On 3/20/2020 at 8:59 PM, scrb said:

Obviously things producers suggested that he say.

They wanted some roomy place in a convenient location and that's what they went for.

I wonder how they dealt with that bathroom with shower heads on a tall ceiling with no shower curtains.

Yeah, I was hoping they’d show how they ended up dealing with that particular challenge!  Also, the tiny bathroom with no door in the bedroom!   

St. Thomas: I loved that house they picked. It was so funky. The doorways and molding were cool. I wouldn’t change much except some of the paint colors. That “pool” was weird. It must have been deep.

• Love 6
(edited)

Why do I get the feeling that after this Corona Virus burns itself out, if new episode of HHI start back up, outdoor space and a more spacious living are going to be more valuable and being in the "hustle and bustle" of the city won't have the same appeal now that the possibility of the city serving as the kitchen, backyard and living room might not always be an option?

Edited by Ambrosefolly
  • Useful 2
  • Love 5

Views were great but all those homes were way above the towns, through winding roads.

Would hate to have to drive all the way down every time you needed to go to the store or whatever.

Especially in bad weather.

At least the roads were paved though.  But in the Caribbean, one big storm could cause havoc.  How reliable is the power up there, for instance?

• Love 5

Wife’s affectations were annoying, likely meant to be. I‘ave seen too many hurricanes to think beachfront living on an island is a good idea. Betting this couple will install generators and security in that place. Call it a hunch.

• Love 2
5 hours ago, buttersister said:

Wife’s affectations were annoying, likely meant to be. I‘ave seen too many hurricanes to think beachfront living on an island is a good idea. Betting this couple will install generators and security in that place. Call it a hunch.

Calling a room “spacey” instead of “spacious” was very annoying!

4 hours ago, ArtFossil said:

Dear LaPaz Bolivia woman:

Don't move in with anyone you don't know.

Don't go off to Bolivia to live with this guy.

Dump him and build your own life.

I wondered what kind of work they did. 

• Love 3

La Paz couple was annoying talking about their feelings about going together.

there was a couple in Barcelona that did the same a mew months ago...an annoying American and his Spanish girlfriend... off the record to the American guy... ran away.

• Love 1

Wales: When the wife said that the 2nd place (the one they picked) could be anywhere in the US, I was like “look out the window...I don’t think so”! That view was stunning. Nice to see kids being honest about the move.

• Love 11

That manor house that they chose in Wales, was it the whole building?

Because from the outside, that thing looked to have way more than 3 bedrooms and 2 baths.

Only for $1200 a month too!

Yeah that view was stunning, nothing like they'd see in Illinois.

• Love 3
8 minutes ago, scrb said:

That manor house that they chose in Wales, was it the whole building?

Because from the outside, that thing looked to have way more than 3 bedrooms and 2 baths.

Only for $1200 a month too!

Yeah that view was stunning, nothing like they'd see in Illinois.

The house was divided into apartments.

• Useful 2
  • Love 4

Wales:  That first house that the wife kept harping on seemed like the rooms were very chopped up except for the kitchen which was very large.  I can't recall another episode where they didn't even bother to show several rooms instead they eliminated that 3rd house while in they were in it.  I kept expecting to be shown another house.

This episode is also great for showing that a house isn't the only way to feel like you're in another country.  Those views from every window of that 2nd house certainly showed you were in Illinois anymore.  Any maybe getting involved in the community and what the area has to offer is a better way to know you're in Wales that sitting inside an old cramped house.

• Love 8
38 minutes ago, Grrarrggh said:

I don't understand at all what was so wrong with that 2nd Wales house. But I have noticed that every time the agent comes up with a compromise place both buyers absolutely HATE it. 

Wife was prodded by producers to make objections.

There was no way she preferred that other house, which is further away from her school and her children's schools, going through some rough, narrow road.

But for the purpose of drama, she wanted "traditional" and he wanted "modern" which is such an obvious scripted thing on HHI.

• Love 8

Not seeing all of that third house didn't make any sense.  It may have had a great kitchen, which was the best part of the first house.  The kitchen they ended up with was pretty small for a large family.  

• Love 2
6 hours ago, scrb said:

Wife was prodded by producers to make objections.

There was no way she preferred that other house, which is further away from her school and her children's schools, going through some rough, narrow road.

But for the purpose of drama, she wanted "traditional" and he wanted "modern" which is such an obvious scripted thing on HHI.

But they BOTH hated it for no reason. 

• Love 4

I was very uncomfortable watching last night's episode in Scotland.  The renter was a disabled woman with spinal bifida with 2 young mildly autistic children.  She definitely needed a first floor bedroom/bathroom and right off jump street the realtor shows her one with everything up a flight of stairs.  What part of being disabled don't you understand???  This is not a preference...it's a need.

Thankfully the next 2 had first floor bed/baths and one of them worked for her.  I was not crazy about this episode.  I felt so sorry for the renter.

• Love 10

Scotland:  Since the realtor had to show three properties, my guess is there wasn't enough inventory so that's why she showed the first one with the stairs.  

My thought when I saw the renter was the burden on the children looking after their mother, especially living in another country.  They had already lived in Mexico.  I hope the kids are ok.  

• Useful 1
  • Love 8

Scotland:  Having some hopefully temporary spinal issues myself right now, it was painful to watch the renter have to walk up the stairs in all three houses.  I kept wishing that the agent would just take photos of the upstairs and show her instead of dragging her up each time.

She definitely chose the right one.  

• Love 7
4 hours ago, NYGirl said:

I was very uncomfortable watching last night's episode in Scotland.  The renter was a disabled woman with spinal bifida with 2 young mildly autistic children.  She definitely needed a first floor bedroom/bathroom and right off jump street the realtor shows her one with everything up a flight of stairs.  What part of being disabled don't you understand???  This is not a preference...it's a need.

Thankfully the next 2 had first floor bed/baths and one of them worked for her.  I was not crazy about this episode.  I felt so sorry for the renter.

Why did you feel sorry for her? She was living her life independently and bravely.

• Love 9

She must have gotten a scholarship to the university.

Otherwise, cold and wet Scotland may not be the best place for someone with such health issues.

They were moving from Merida too, so it will be quite a change.

At the end, the kids were enjoying each having big rooms but they were playing video games.  Hope they spend more time outside, when the weather permits it.

But she talked about traveling so if she had the budget for it, visit the sunny Continent as much as possible, though not right now of course.

• Love 4

I didn’t understand why she couldn’t use a shower seat in the shower...my sister has one that straddles the edge of the tub, so you sit on it, use your arms (if you need to) to lift your legs in, and then sit comfortably in the shower.  I borrowed it when I broke my leg, and it works really well.  My BIL wears AFOs, and he uses it too.  It’s actually more secure feeling than being in a stand-up wet shower with very little control over your lower legs.  The whole episode struck me as odd.

• Love 8

Cambodia: I live in Harrisonburg, VA. Yoder is a very common name among Mennonites. Wonder if they are affiliated with Eastern Mennonite University. That baby was adorable! It was cute how everyone wanted to hold him (pre-COVID-19 days 🙁). 

• Useful 1
  • Love 3

I sort of got the impression that the woman in Scotland was fairly well off. She had a decent budget and supporting two kids and she made a comment that people always asked her why she just didn’t retire and move to the beach and relax and her response was that she would get bored. Those conversations dont occur with a woman of her age if people don’t know she has money. 

• Love 7

I just watched the Scotland episode and I think there could have been some confusion regarding the first house as the house hunter stated she wanted her bedroom on the first floor.  The confusion would be that the first floor is called the ground floor and the first floor is what we would consider to be the second floor.  So, the first house met the requirement of having her bedroom on the first floor.  The next two houses had bedrooms on the ground floor for the house hunter.  The real estate agent stated that the rooms were on the ground floor and the house hunter responded with "yes, my bedroom would be on the first floor..."  So, really an American/European language/ reference difference.

• Useful 3
  • Love 3
1 hour ago, seacliffsal said:

So, really an American/European language/ reference difference.

You are right about the ground floor, but the only reason that I would say maybe not is because the prices on the international homes are always listed in dollars to accommodate the American viewers.

• Love 1

Penom Pehn:  She really wanted the nicer home with the tub but it was 60% higher than their budget.

Tub was nice but the shower was still a wet room type of deal.  

Didn't insist on AC, maybe the electricity costs would be too high.

I wonder why all these SE Asian countries have Russian markets in cities.  Maybe during the Cold War, the Russians came in and built them?

But I'm sure they also have a big Chinese community, as you'd see in Singapore and Bangkok.

• Love 3
5 hours ago, scrb said:

I wonder why all these SE Asian countries have Russian markets in cities.  Maybe during the Cold War, the Russians came in and built them?

Russian market is located in the south part of Phnom Penh and is known to the locals as Phsar Toul Tom Poung. The reason why it is called Russian market is because it was a popular market among the Russian expats during the 1980s when most of the western expats in Phnom Penh were Russian.

• Useful 1
  • Love 3

I know that the house hunters are supposed to keep the narrative going and criticize elements of the homes.  But, I couldn't believe it when the couple asked the realtor something like "are we going to have to climb these stairs every time we come home?"  I mean, come on, what's the realtor supposed to say to that?  Make it a statement like "I don't really want to always climb stairs" but don't ask the realtor unanswerable questions.  Just like when the husband kept asking "is this common in Cambodia?"  Well, it must be as you keep seeing it that way...

And, for me, I would have found that extra $300/month for that third home...

• LOL 4