Type keyword(s) to search

House Hunters International - General Discussion

• Start Topic

On 12/28/2019 at 2:22 PM, Pickles said:

The Paris guy, to me, seemed like he was stuck in frat boy mode. Not appealing to me at all. 

After viewing the episode I detest them both. The guy is loathsome and she is pathetic to cater to him. But it was great to see Paris and Adrian!

• Love 2
1 hour ago, LittleIggy said:

County Mayo, Ireland: That place on the lake was amazing!

Yes! The finished B&B/ Yoga Retreat was stunning, as well. I had a feeling the lake house was too turnkey for her. 

I loved this episode:

Beautiful locale, intelligent and interesting client, realistic expectations, no hand-wringing about space for entertaining, and no one whining about Irish “charm!”

I wish more of the episodes were like this. 

ETA: Found the listing on AirBnB 

https://abnb.me/053VAl0J42

Edited by 7isBlue
  • Love 7
On 1/6/2020 at 6:57 PM, buttersister said:

Well, well, the Bangkok couple from Denver didn't go with the over-sized, Denver-transplant place, but rather, a more centrally located, smaller, but still nice spot. Considering the wife's "#1 worry" was snakes coming up her toilet, I thought she did fine. Sorry she's the mom of 3, though (spouse as #3). He seemed pretty reasonable once he stopped goofing to the camera. Or was I distracted getting dinner?😉

I was ready to hate that guy when wifey described him as child #3. I can’t think of anything less attractive In a partner. He seemed to chill out as the episode went on, but the fact that she described him that way makes me think that he was just stifling his annoying self, lol 😂

• Love 2
18 hours ago, LittleIggy said:

Panama: I can’t believe they had those fame hos on the program. Free advertising for them. I don’t understand why people want to look at pictures of strangers.

If this was the travel blog couple I turned it off.  I didn't want to watch some vapid bloggers get free publicity.  

I love the agent/consultant in Amsterdam.  She is fun to watch.

• Like 1
  • Love 3
4 minutes ago, chessiegal said:

The agent was fun. The wife, however - my husband said she made his ex-wife look good - ouch!

The trainer?  She had one of those faces that reminds me of that Seinfeld episode where in one light pretty, another light, not so much!

• LOL 3
3 minutes ago, Natalie68 said:

The trainer?  She had one of those faces that reminds me of that Seinfeld episode where in one light pretty, another light, not so much!

My husband thought the wife was the biggest beotch he'd ever seen.

• LOL 2
  • Love 2
4 hours ago, Natalie68 said:

No, the trainer was in Denmark. The blonde agent (I’m starting to like her) was in both the Amsterdam and Denmark episodes. The Amsterdam wife had awful vocal fry and was really negative.

• Love 5
On 1/11/2020 at 12:46 AM, LittleIggy said:

The Amsterdam wife had awful vocal fry and was really negative.

Again, couldn't hear a thing. And she wasn't negative, she just didn't want her husband complaining everyday about the tourists AGAIN. 

Those "Amsterdam stairs" are an accident waiting to happen.  There was a big grill on the roof deck.  How on earth do you get food up and down the stairs?  I noticed they had carpeted the stairs in the reveal and the little dog was going up and down them, but they are still steep.  No, thanks.  I would for forego the charm of living in the city center and having a view of the canals if I had to live in a place like that.  I loved the agent!    

• Love 2
On 1/11/2020 at 12:46 AM, LittleIggy said:

No, the trainer was in Denmark. The blonde agent (I’m starting to like her) was in both the Amsterdam and Denmark episodes. The Amsterdam wife had awful vocal fry and was really negative.

The Amsterdam woman's vocal fry made me want to climb the walls. But I do love the agent!

• LOL 1
  • Love 2
On 1/12/2020 at 8:24 PM, laredhead said:

Those "Amsterdam stairs" are an accident waiting to happen.  There was a big grill on the roof deck.  How on earth do you get food up and down the stairs?  I noticed they had carpeted the stairs in the reveal and the little dog was going up and down them, but they are still steep.  No, thanks.  I would for forego the charm of living in the city center and having a view of the canals if I had to live in a place like that.  I loved the agent!    

I roll my eyes at all of these roof decks because of the extreme logistics shlepping stuff up and down.

My friend has a balcony off her bedroom and for whatever reason she decided we would have drinks and appetizers on that balcony instead of on the patio which is directly off her kitchen/living area. It was a one time thing because toting things up and down the stairs was just not worth it. I could see installing a Keurig in the bedroom area or some glasses and a mini refrigerator if the actual occupants wanted to use that space but it really doesn't function well at all as well as a balcony off the living area or patio or deck. 

I also think spiral staircases are a death waiting to happen. My first apartment was a loft in Manhattan with a ladder to the "bedroom". It worked fine when I was younger and didn't have to pee in the middle of the night :-). However, if I came home slightly inebriated, I would just wind up crashing on the couch rather than scaling the ladder.

• Love 8
On 1/12/2020 at 11:24 PM, laredhead said:

Unfortunately you find these death stairs outside of the cities as well. Even new houses can have them in the burbs. My nephew is a home builder and when he built his house, he put these in.

I saw the Barcycle episode in Cambodia, I didn't understand what a Barcycle is, and found the Facebook, with the HHI participant on it.    She looked so happy, and for obvious reasons so did all of the people on the Barcycle.    The Basenji was so cute.  

On 1/12/2020 at 8:24 PM, laredhead said:

Yeah I think the first one was a more comfortable situation, even if it didn't have a big enough or the type of outdoor space they wanted.  But then they were close to a big park.

The agent is named Sarah and she seems to be the one for Amsterdam.  Not as well known as Richard Blanco in London or Adrian Leeds in Paris but her effervescent personality translates okay to TV.

• Love 5

Orlando .... say "wow factor" one. more. time.

Shopping with the demand list of her 10 year old son, including a "boy cave".  Obviously you need to consider your kids needs, but I don't think you should walk through a house constantly saying "oh, this is what the kids would prefer".

And why aren't kids bedrooms their "caves" anymore?  Why are there additional "teen rooms" and whatnot?

(Just realized I put this in the wrong place, sorry)

Edited by sskrill
  • LOL 3
  • Love 4
9 hours ago, scrb said:

Yeah I think the first one was a more comfortable situation, even if it didn't have a big enough or the type of outdoor space they wanted.  But then they were close to a big park.

The agent is named Sarah and she seems to be the one for Amsterdam.  Not as well known as Richard Blanco in London or Adrian Leeds in Paris but her effervescent personality translates okay to TV.

I like the Brit silver fox Nick in Spain too! And Kevin (Baby Elvis) in Germany.  HHI is assembling a good set of agents.

• Love 5
On 1/15/2020 at 11:22 AM, CrazyInAlabama said:

I saw the Barcycle episode in Cambodia, I didn't understand what a Barcycle is, and found the Facebook, with the HHI participant on it.    She looked so happy, and for obvious reasons so did all of the people on the Barcycle.    The Basenji was so cute.  

Barcycles are pretty popular here in the US.  I live in Cleveland and there are a couple of companies that run them on the weekends and during the summer.  I've done it a couple of times with groups of friends and it is a lot of fun.  One of the barcycle businesses also has some sort of bar/boat/cycle that goes out on the lake where the patrons peddle to power it.

• Love 1
3 hours ago, doodlebug said:

Barcycles are pretty popular here in the US.  I live in Cleveland and there are a couple of companies that run them on the weekends and during the summer.

I know Scottsdale has them too.

6 hours ago, CrazyInAlabama said:

I guess the Merida woman is the world's greatest expert on being a single mother?    

And, not only that, she is going to invite other single mothers to live with her and her kids so she can show them how it is done. I am clearly way to old to understand how this would constitute a career nor why anyone would need intensive one on one training in order to travel abroad and start a blog to generate income from others with way more money than sense.

And, of course, once again, we've got a bunch of bratty kids who could not possibly share a room with a sibling ever.  Forget that the youngest is just a baby and the eldest will be out on her own/going to college in just a couple of years anyway.  I really didn't see any stellar parenting that would make me think that she is somehow an expert on living abroad with kids. Or living stateside with kids, for that matter.  Seems like the kids told her what they wanted and she got it for them.  Great!  Way to go!!!

Edited by doodlebug
  • Love 8

Poor Richard!    I love every episode he's on, but I think he's regretting doing this episode.   The people are two snotty, entitled designers moving to London, and the woman is a total PITA.    She whines about anything that's not exactly centered, and I really hope that her picky attitude is a put on for the show.   Another couple that want modern, totally redone, and vintage touches too.   Of course, Miss Picky gets the overpriced place that she wanted.  

I wonder if it's really that easy for the other part of the couple to get a job, and work visa in England?  

Edited by CrazyInAlabama
  • Love 7
5 hours ago, CrazyInAlabama said:

Poor Richard!    I love every episode he's on, but I think he's regretting doing this episode.   The people are too snotty, entitled designers moving to London, and the woman is a total PITA.    She whines about anything that's not exactly centered, and I really hope that her picky attitude is a put on for the show.   Another couple that want modern, totally redone, and vintage touches too.   Of course, Miss Picky gets the overpriced place that she wanted.  

I wonder if it's really that easy for the other part of the couple to get a job, and work visa in England?  

He said the company/firm he worked for brought up having him work in their London branch, IIRC. And, yeah, Ms. Symmetry annoyed the crap out of me. BTW, as a cat person, I got upset by the “Lost Cat” flyer the camera focused on in one street shot. I hope the people found their sweet beautiful kitty. ☹️

• LOL 1
  • Love 8

I caught the part with the man saying he was working for the design company, but the woman kept talking about getting a job, and I wondered if it would be that easy for her to get a work permit.    I absolutely loathed her attitude, and the way she treated Richard.  

• Love 6

She must not be a very good designer if she cannot create visual balance from asymmetrical elements. That’s Design 101. 

It doesn’t make sense to me when the HHs insist on having an extra room for visitors. In this case, they will be paying about $1K extra per month ($12K/ year) for the 2 bedroom. They could probably put their friends up at a decent  AirBnB with that $$$.

Also, I think work visas are very difficult to get in the UK. 

• Love 9
3 hours ago, 7isBlue said:

She must not be a very good designer if she cannot create visual balance from asymmetrical elements. That’s Design 101. 

It doesn’t make sense to me when the HHs insist on having an extra room for visitors. In this case, they will be paying about $1K extra per month ($12K/ year) for the 2 bedroom. They could probably put their friends up at a decent  AirBnB with that $$$.

Also, I think work visas are very difficult to get in the UK. 

I’m with you. I wouldn’t want a designer whose design aesthetic is so rigid.  I think it’s definitely severe OCD that’s impacting her sense of design.  

• Love 6
14 hours ago, Koalagirl said:

I’m with you. I wouldn’t want a designer whose design aesthetic is so rigid.  I think it’s definitely severe OCD that’s impacting her sense of design.  

She doesn't, nor do most if any of these picky househunters, have OCD. OCD is a serious mental disorder. Not liking carpet people have walked on, or shelves that don't line up, is not it. It's insulting to those who do deal with it daily. 

• Love 7
24 minutes ago, Grrarrggh said:

She doesn't, nor do most if any of these picky househunters, have OCD. OCD is a serious mental disorder. Not liking carpet people have walked on, or shelves that don't line up, is not it. It's insulting to those who do deal with it daily. 

Well said, thank you.

• Love 2
9 hours ago, Grrarrggh said:

Sorry, not meant to insult anyone. I know people with OCD who, if seeing two pillows not aligned the same way, who will immediately straighten them out, much the way she did, And her partner did mention OCD at some point during the show unless he was joking around.

• Love 2
14 hours ago, Koalagirl said:

I know people with OCD who, if seeing two pillows not aligned the same way, who will immediately straighten them out, much the way she did, And her partner did mention OCD at some point during the show unless he was joking around.

I would do the same thing, and I don't have OCD.  Nor do the overwhelming majority of people who reference it when talking about their or someone else's persnickety habits.  They're using an anxiety disorder that causes great distress and disruption in the lives of those who have it as an offhand, joking reference to what is merely finicky behavior. 

Edited by Bastet
  • Love 7
On 1/19/2020 at 4:35 AM, 7isBlue said:

I teach design. She's an idiot. She can self-identify as a "designer" but that doesn't mean she has any skills.

• Love 9
8 hours ago, LittleIggy said:

South Africa: The guy with the job really belittled his partner.

He really was verbally abusive, complaining that his partner didn't work and spent all his time playing while he paid the bills.  Considering the guy moved across the ocean to Africa to be with him, it seemed pretty unfair.

Then again, the working partner came right out and said he lacked empathy for individual people even though his job was with a charitable foundation.   I think he is just an all-around selfish jerk.

Edited by doodlebug
  • Love 5
2 hours ago, doodlebug said:

He really was verbally abusive, complaining that his partner didn't work and spent all his time playing while he paid the bills.  Considering the guy moved across the ocean to Africa to be with him, it seemed pretty unfair.

Then again, the working partner came right out and said he lacked empathy for individual people even though his job was with a charitable foundation.   I think he is just an all-around selfish jerk.

From what he said, the stay at home guy did the cooking. I’m sure he took care of the dog, because the jerk didn’t act as if he cared for the dog that much.

• Love 4

Sweden:  I thought that you were supposed to dress a little less casual in Europe.  I learned that my hot pink jogging suit stood out way too much on the London Tube when everyone else was wearing dark clothing, lol.  The female house hunter's short shorts seemed inappropriate to me.  I thought that the houses were all nice, though.

• Love 4

Bratislava...I really liked the househunter and her friend.  Her wish for a stand-up shower was reasonable, and she didn't seem to expect a mansion for $750 a month!  Bratislava looks great (like a less touristy Prague, which makes sense).

• Love 6
On 11/19/2019 at 8:19 AM, Pickles said:

That child was 4 years old and seemed totally addicted to the phone. What in the world?? Lots of tantrums when the parents tried to take it away.

Moving to theDR has zero appeal for me. I am not a beach person and I would not feel safe there.

Sometimes 4 year olds throw tantrums because they are hungry, tired, etc (my daughter is 4 so I am all too aware) so it's not all because of being addicted to phones/technology.., not trying to sound snarky, it's just from my own experience. 

• Love 3