Type keyword(s) to search

House Hunters International - General Discussion

• Start Topic

The couple who moved to Puerto Rico to grow hydroponic crops is intriguing, talking about wanting to contribute to the community down there.

They must enjoy working, buying a total renovation job.  Guy even said he had thought he'd be going down there for early retirement.

Certainly not the typical House Hunters.

Thing is, I thought Vieques is where the US Navy shoots off a lot of munitions for testing or simulating naval battles or something.  So the place is suppose to be polluted yet obviously a lot of people live there.

How do hydroponics infrastructure withstand big hurricanes?

• Love 1
2 hours ago, scrb said:

t the typical House Hunters.

Thing is, I thought Vieques is where the US Navy shoots off a lot of munitions for testing or simulating naval battles or something.  So the place is suppose to be polluted yet obviously a lot of people live there.

They did use it as a bombing range, it also means it’s not as developed as other areas so you can find a lot of empty beaches. There is also an a amazing bioluminescent bay and is super chill place to visit as long as it’s not during hurricane season.

Zurich to Barcelona, I want to know the real story/layout of the apartment because not only did he go half a million over “budget” there was clearly at least one room we didn’t see off the roof deck.

• Love 1

Please keep posts related to the home search, not the kids unless it's integral to the show.

Rule of thumb: if a kid-centric scene could be removed from the video with no effect on the content of the show - don't belabor it here.  

Updating to add: If we had a full forum, the recently hidden posts would have just been moved to Small Talk. With a single topic, some of our posters are sensitive to off-topic conversations, especially those that involve children/child rearing.  

I didn't get Barcelona either. I mean, I sort of get "not unpack a suitcase" but spending 1.5 million to not unpack a suitcase is bananas. Unless he's laundering money or something. That apartment must have had an extra room.

I was also on his side on the "I'm spending 1 million and I can't get X" as well. This was yet another weird HHI.

On ‎11‎/‎03‎/‎2019 at 8:55 AM, QQQQ said:

My mom and I could have used a bit of controlling during our day trip to Amsterdam. We bought way too much stroopwafel.

I was in college in London in 1995, and at the end of my semester did a rail pass tour of Europe which I started in Amsterdam.  I visited museums and cheese shops.  Everyone else I was at school with who visited Amsterdam definitely went for other reasons.

On ‎11‎/‎15‎/‎2019 at 1:49 AM, buttersister said:

No way they were going out into the countryside, but, MILK! Where was Ex-security guy going to get his milk in the middle of the night?  Shut it, dude, whining about a lawn was bad enough. Realtor throwing shade on his milk jones  was funny, though.

Actually, that I could relate to.  Not necessarily milk specifically, but needing something in an emergency and having to drive miles away to get it.  It's why I could never live way out in the country.

On ‎11‎/‎17‎/‎2019 at 9:47 AM, amarante said:

I assumed she was a crap writer when she said she had published ten novels in a fairly short period of time. I knew she was one of those crap formula romance writers with some clone of Fabio on the cover dressed in some generic historical "costume" - e.g. the classic bodice ripper.

I'm familiar with a couple of her books.  She is a crap writer, but hey, she makes money at it, so I'm jealous anyway.

2 hours ago, CrazyInAlabama said:

I don't understand the Barcelona 1.5 million apartment at all.    I hope the glass/curtain guest room wasn't the only one. 

He's paying for the location and the roof top terrace with that view.  He's lucky there were even 3 bedrooms.  I actually thought it was cheap for what he was getting.  He was a whiny asshole.

• Love 2
37 minutes ago, ML89 said:

I was also on his side on the "I'm spending 1 million and I can't get X" as well. This was yet another weird HHI.

I wasn't.  He wanted outdoor space, 3 bedrooms & bathrooms, buildings with character, all in a fabulous location with fabulous views.  He was lucky to find what he did for the price he paid.

• Love 4
11 minutes ago, proserpina65 said:

He's paying for the location and the roof top terrace with that view.  He's lucky there were even 3 bedrooms.  I actually thought it was cheap for what he was getting.  He was a whiny asshole.

The one he went with was only shown to have one bedroom and a small alcove with a glass sliding door that could turn it into a tiny room that basically fit a twin bed. I still think there was at least one other room we didn’t see but it wasn’t presented as a 3 bedroom. He called it 1 1/2 which was being generous to what was shown.

The island in his apartment was way to big for the space and half the sitting space on the island couldn’t really be used because it would block off the rest of the apartment.

Edited by biakbiak
  • Love 1
3 minutes ago, biakbiak said:

The one he went with was only shown to have one bedroom and a small alcove with a glass sliding door that could turn it into a tiny room that basically fit a twin bed. I still think there was at least one other room we didn’t see but it wasn’t presented as a 3 bedroom. He called it 1 1/2 which was being generous to what was shown.

The island in his apartment was way to big for the space and half the sitting space on the island couldn’t really be used because it would block off the rest of the apartment.

The realtor described it as a 3-bedroom, but yes, we only saw the master and the "bedroom" with the sliding glass door.  And you're absolutely right about that island.  It was a terrible use of space.  He was paying for the terrace and the location.

• Love 1
16 minutes ago, proserpina65 said:

I'm familiar with a couple of her books.  She is a crap writer, but hey, she makes money at it, so I'm jealous anyway.

Can you share her name? I missed it if it was given on the show and now I'm curious!

1 minute ago, proserpina65 said:

The realtor described it as a 3-bedroom,

I could have sworn she said 2-bedroom which is why he wasn’t wild about it and why he stated it was only 1 1/2 bedrooms because describing that space as a bedroom is not accurate.

Edited by biakbiak
20 minutes ago, biakbiak said:

I could have sworn she said 2-bedroom which is why he wasn’t wild about it.

I thought she said 3, but then, I was so put off by his whininess that my attention a little, so I could be wrong.

Oops, wandered, my attention wandered a little.

Edited by proserpina65
16 minutes ago, Homily said:

Can you share her name? I missed it if it was given on the show and now I'm curious!

You know what, I'm not sure she's who I thought she was.  I'll do some research, and if I can confirm, I'll definitely let you know.

• Love 1
6 hours ago, LittleIggy said:

Accra: Honey, you aren’t “Americanized.” You are American. Seems nuts to move somewhere alone without a job. To each her own.

She said Americanized once when specifying how she related to her tribe. She said she was American several times as well as being a being a born and raised New Yorker but used it to also illustrate how she knew nothing about the culture she was learning about.  
I enjoyed her and she was gorgeous. 

Edited by biakbiak
  • Love 4

I am pretty certain the realtor said three bedrooms and 2 1/2 bedrooms. I would imagine the third bedroom was a standard bedroom which is why we didn't see it since it didn't add to the plot development. 

I live in an expensive city so prices don't shock me but I confess I was shocked that real estate in Barcelona is that expensive. I am always curious as to why a single person feels it necessary to have bedrooms for overnight guests - let them stay in a hotel if they don't like the accommodations you are providing. Family is different but I didn't get the sense this HH needed accommodations for those as he voiced his concern about shared bathrooms by saying gay men take a long time in the bathroom to get ready :-).

On the opposite end of the spectrum. there was a retired couple who moved to a remote village in Ireland from Arizona. He was a retired police officer and she was a nurse and they sold their home. I didn't understand how their budget was only $200,000 since they should have been in a better financial situation than many of the other young HH who quit their jobs to move somewhere since I would have assumed that a house in Arizona would have netted more than $200,000 and police officers generally have pretty good retirement funds coming in.

Swinging back again, I find it very strange that people who have "sold" everything to move to a foreign country want to buy a home which means that all or a substantial amount of their funds are tied up in real estate. I have a relatively small mortgage and lots of savings so I could theoretically pay off the mortgage but I deliberately choose not to because I like the idea of having $X amount not tied up and my mortgage interest is so low that almost any other use of the funds yields more. 

24 minutes ago, amarante said:

On the opposite end of the spectrum. there was a retired couple who moved to a remote village in Ireland from Arizona. He was a retired police officer and she was a nurse and they sold their home. I didn't understand how their budget was only $200,000 since they should have been in a better financial situation than many of the other young HH who quit their jobs to move somewhere since I would have assumed that a house in Arizona would have netted more than $200,000 and police officers generally have pretty good retirement funds coming in.

I'm guessing they're buying all or mostly cash, leaving as much savings and pension income for living expenses (other than housing) as possible. 

• Love 3
Just now, TVForever said:

I'm guessing they're buying all or mostly cash, leaving as much savings and pension income for living expenses (other than housing) as possible. 

Agreed.  We just closed on what will be our retirement home even though retirement is still a few years away.  We didn't pay off the new house but we did put down a substantial downpayment.  We want to keep a decent balance in the bank.  No way were we going to put it all into a house.  You can't slice off a corner of your living room if you want a vacation or need to replace a furnace!  People moving overseas with family left behind would also need to factor in "travelling home" money into any budget they may have ongoing I would think.

• Useful 1
  • Love 1
10 hours ago, biakbiak said:

She said Americanized once when specifying how she related to her tribe. She said she was American several times as well as being a being a born and raised New Yorker but used it to also illustrate how she knew nothing about the culture she was learning about.  
I enjoyed her and she was gorgeous. 

She isn’t “Americanized” (“ adapted or altered to have or conform to typically American characteristics”)however you want to parse it. 🙄

Edited by LittleIggy
  • Love 3
43 minutes ago, LittleIggy said:

She isn’t “Americanized” (“ adapted or altered to have or conform to typically American characteristics”)however you want to parse it. 🙄

She said it once in response to speaking about her tribe.  There are many, many people who grow up in America but still are raised with the culture of their ancestors, she did not. She said she was American repeatedly throughout the show and said “Americanized” only when contextualizing what her newly found culture expected of her.  It’s a very common reaction of Americans who have not known their  history because of slavery and they find their roots for the first time. I would add an emoji but there isn’t one to encompass the return because emojis barely acknowledge black people.

Edited by biakbiak
  • Love 5

I'm with LittleIggy on this. I thought the New Yorker to Ghana female was annoying beyond belief. She spoke beautifully while she was interviewed and resorted to "Girl" and dropping the ending of words when interacting with others. She was full of herself, immature, and her talk of having everyone wanting to be her friend made me cringe. Having traveled to this region several times in groups, I'm always struck how African Americans think they are going "home" and the locals see them as Americans, period.  That may be untrue in some parts, but it was true in the regions I traveled.

• LOL 1
  • Love 4
59 minutes ago, NosyCat said:

Girl" and dropping the ending of words when interacting with others.

That’s because code switching is a real thing. She also never once referred to Ghana as her home and repeatedly referred to home as America/New York.

Ghana actually made a whole campaign around the year of return in 2019 for the 400th anniversary of the slave trade encouraging people of the African diaspora to return.

Edited by biakbiak
  • Love 5

Since they rarely show African countries other than South Africa, I was curious to see what the real estate looked like in Ghana.  The properties weren't bad, but I wasn't surprised that they were so inexpensive.

• Love 3
33 minutes ago, Ohwell said:

Since they rarely show African countries other than South Africa, I was curious to see what the real estate looked like in Ghana.  The properties weren't bad, but I wasn't surprised that they were so inexpensive.

I laughed when she said $800/month for one place was like “New York rent”! Seriously? 😆

• Love 1
45 minutes ago, biakbiak said:

That’s because code switching is a real thing. She also never once referred to Ghana as her home and repeatedly referred to home as America/New York.

Ghana actually made a whole campaign around the year of return in 2019 for the 400th anniversary of the slave trade encouraging people of the African diaspora to return.

Of course, the government wants to encourage tourism.

12 minutes ago, LittleIggy said:

I laughed when she said $800/month for one place was like “New York rent”! Seriously? 😆

I took it to mean since she was going to have to pay six months up front that was a lot.

My experience traveling in west Africa were apparently different than @NosyCat and people had many different reactions to tourists coming but as a white American I would not presume to speak for the people of West Africa.

• Love 2

I do not speak FOR the people of West Africa. I spoke TO the people of West, East, and South Africa. I did not share what I was specifically told but I expressed the sentiments as correctly as I could. Of course, there are exceptions to every scenario, but I think my years and several experiences have helped shaped some "general" truths. I've also traveled with people of different races, nationalities, and cultures. These people are still good friends and when we discuss our experiences, there is a general agreement about how certain countries view Americans, African Americans, etc. It is interesting and enlightening. I'm not sure I understand biabiak's comment that her experiences in West Africa were different that mine. I didn't really describe my journeys. I loved the people and have many wonderful memories and made some amazing friends. 

• Love 2
56 minutes ago, NosyCat said:

It is interesting and enlightening. I'm not sure I understand biabiak's comment that her experiences in West Africa were different that mine. I didn't really describe my journeys. I loved the people and have many wonderful memories and made some amazing friends. 

I found the people I lived and worked with to be very open and welcoming to African-Americans who were coming to visit and to trace their roots which seemed to contrast with your experience. I too have travelled with groups of different nationalities and races and spent time living there.

I also specified West Africa  because that is the origin of the slave trade and people searching for their ancestory often find it there but I do have friends in other parts of Africa who do get annoyed with travelers of all races who do not understand that Africa is one big homogeneous place and don’t learn more about the distinct cultures, tribes and countries.

Italy: didn’t like any of the options but probably would have gone with the first one for the terrace alone. 

Edited by biakbiak
  • Love 3
On 11/24/2019 at 5:44 PM, LittleIggy said:

Actually she said that one was too "close to NY rent", and it is. $800 a month is a lot closer to what you'd expect in a borough apartment than $300. Not all New Yorkers live in Manhattan or trendy neighborhoods. 

• Love 1
2 hours ago, chessiegal said:

I live in the Annapolis, MD area. I just looked at apartment rentals prices, and the cheapest I could find was about $1,200/mo for a 1 br.

On Zillow I could find some 1 bed/1 bath places as low as $640 a month. In NYC that is, not Annapolis 🙂

Edited by Grrarrggh
20 hours ago, Grrarrggh said:

On Zillow I could find some 1 bed/1 bath places as low as $640 a month. In NYC that is, not Annapolis

Are those apartment sharing situations?

NYC Rent Data

One bedroom apartments in New York rent for $2964 a month on average (a 0.98% increase from last year) and two bedroom apartment rents average $3805 (a 3.29% increase from last year).

Edited by QQQQ
21 hours ago, Grrarrggh said:

On Zillow I could find some 1 bed/1 bath places as low as $640 a month. In NYC that is, not Annapolis 🙂

They aren't in an area you would want to live in, believe me.

• Love 5
22 hours ago, Grrarrggh said:

There’s no way you can rent an apartment in NYC, or the surrounding area, for $640.  

• Love 2
1 hour ago, Grrarrggh said:

That's average. There are some might expensive places that pull that average up. 

You jest, lol.  You obviously do not know the NYC market.  So let’s just agree to disagree and put this to bed.  Have a very Happy Thanksgiving!

• Love 5

The $640 unit available for rental is an office space in a relatively undesirable area.

The next least expensive unit is  $800 for an attic apartment in a fairly undesirable area - shared kitchen AND bath - in order words renting a room.

While an "average" rental is not a perfect way to measure rents, don't forget that there are a number of apartments in New York which have rents below - A LOT BELOW - current market rates because they are either rent controlled or stabilized. 

But if you are in the current market you are probably going to be paying OVER the average unless one wants to rent in Staten Island - the Bronx (which I believe has the least expensive housing but still not $700 for an apartment) or in the nether reaches of Queens where there is very poor public transportation - e.g. no subway lines.

• Love 1
2 hours ago, amarante said:

While an "average" rental is not a perfect way to measure rents, don't forget that there are a number of apartments in New York which have rents below - A LOT BELOW - current market rates because they are either rent controlled or stabilized. 

Right so as a life long NYer the $800 could have been approaching the woman who moved to Ghana’s rent. Though I still think her remark had more to do with having to pay it up front for 6 or 12 months.

SF to Singapore: I refuse to believe they didn’t know that Singapore is more expensive than SF. Talking about places more expensive to live than SF is like a major talking point at parties!

Edited by biakbiak
  • LOL 1
  • Love 1
2 hours ago, biakbiak said:

Right so as a life long NYer the $800 could have been approaching the woman who moved to Ghana’s rent. Though I still think her remark had more to do with having to pay it up front for 6 or 12 months.

SF to Singapore: I refuse to believe they didn’t know that Singapore is more expensive than SF. Talking about places more expensive to live than SF is like a major talking point at parties!

I think a comment that $800 approaches New York rates is bizarre anyway you slice it or dice it because no one comments on rental costs based on what someone who is lucky enough to be living in a rent stabilized apartment who moved in 25 years ago is paying.

I don't live in NYC anymore but I moved to Manhattan after finishing law school many years ago. I had a wonderful loft (newly renovated) on a high floor with an unobstructed view of the city looking north (it was in the Village) and my rent - adjusted for inflation would be approximately $1800 which would be a steal because the building has now been converted to coops where my apartment sells for $1 million dollars and comparable rentals would have $4000 or $5000.

Some of my friends who weren't making as much as I was at the time lived in the Village for prices ranging from $335 (for an apartment on St. Marks Place) to a West Village one bedroom for $628  - both amounts adjusted for inflation. The apartment rents were affordable - or at least not in the realm of completely unaffordable - for people starting out unlike today's NYC rents which are essentially unaffordable because no one wants to live in a living room or a walk in closet for any length of time.

Edited by amarante
  • Love 3
27 minutes ago, amarante said:

I think a comment that $800 approaches New York rates is bizarre anyway you slice it or dice it

But she didn't say it approaches. She said it was closer. And $800 is a LOT closer than $300. 

• Love 1