Type keyword(s) to search

House Hunters International - General Discussion

• Start Topic

3 hours ago, abbyzenn said:

Mother/Daughter in Paris:  Those were the 3 worst apartments to choose from.  The first two, including the one they chose, were smaller than most hotel rooms.  Who cares if it's in one of the 3 oldest buildings in Paris?  Only someone pretentious.   And what the heck was that view?  Inside the place you could have been in any dump in any city in the world.   3 months later and the daughter still had the bed and not a sofa bed?  So she and Mom have to share a bed?  Not even a chair to sit on in that place.  Laughed at daughter  talking about having a dinner party - everyone would have to stand or sit on the bed to eat.  

The only use I could see for those “apartments” was as short term vacation rentals, a pied a terre in the tourist areas.

• Love 5
On 8/30/2019 at 11:30 PM, LittleIggy said:

Manta, Ecuador: Did anyone else notice when the HH, a Spanish teacher, said she wasn’t a native speaker of the language but could “get by.” Shouldn’t someone teaching a language be able to do more than “get by” when speaking it in a Spanish speaking country? Just struck me as a weird thing to say.

I guess it depends on what she meant by "getting by." I speak two languages and even taught one and I might say something similar.  However, the more I learned the languages, the more strict I'd be about how I'd define my skills.  For some, conversational might mean being able to do some basic communication. I can achieve that in languages I don't speak but are similar to those I do.  For me, conversational is being able to have a conversation about almost anything I might discuss in my native language.  That might be considered fluent to others.  However, for me, fluency is being able to speak without even thinking.  Native level is completely understanding the nuances of expressions and words.

So yeah, I might say something similar to getting by, especially if I'm going to a country who speak the language faster or with a different accent than I'm used to.  I also forgot where she teaches.  Junior high or high school beginning Spanish probably doesn't need to have the same level of those who teach higher levels or college nor do they get the opportunity to practice as much as they used to.

Edited by Irlandesa
  • Love 6

Not sure if it was an old one but there was an episode of a female lawyer buying a beach in a beach town in Brazil. Once again an inscrutable explanation of how this will help her hectic life. All I can think about is a day spent flying to a remote location. How often can anyone with a job realistically travel to a distant second home. 

The place she chose looked like a prison cell to me and the ending was that she had also bought two ocean front lots which she will eventually build on because the dream house next door only cost $100,000 to build. 

For some reason the editing seemed particular snarky because when she was extolling the virtues of living in the middle of a town that genuinely resembled a dump, there was a lingering shot of a stray dog peeing on the side of her house. 

• Love 4
9 hours ago, amarante said:

Not sure if it was an old one but there was an episode of a female lawyer buying a beach in a beach town in Brazil. Once again an inscrutable explanation of how this will help her hectic life. All I can think about is a day spent flying to a remote location. How often can anyone with a job realistically travel to a distant second home. 

The place she chose looked like a prison cell to me and the ending was that she had also bought two ocean front lots which she will eventually build on because the dream house next door only cost $100,000 to build. 

For some reason the editing seemed particular snarky because when she was extolling the virtues of living in the middle of a town that genuinely resembled a dump, there was a lingering shot of a stray dog peeing on the side of her house. 

Oh yes, that was a repeat.

Amarante, yes, there was a discussion about this episode previously.  You can find it upthread, or it may be in the archived area because when changes were done to this forum, all discussions before a certain date were archived.  Most people agreed that the place looked sort of like a prison cell and uninviting.  We also laughed at the dog's photo/video bomb.  The beach looked beautiful, and it will be a great place to have a getaway home, but it is remote.  As I get older, my priorities in a vacation location would include things like access to medical care in emergencies.   

• Love 5
3 hours ago, amarante said:

I've never been able to search for old posts since searches are limited to the specific pages.

Is there some kind of search trick that enables one to do so?

When you click in the search field (the one that appears below the thread title, to the left of the follow button), you can select to search for your term(s) everywhere, this forum, this topic, etc.

• Useful 2
On 9/1/2019 at 12:02 AM, amarante said:

😆 I mentioned that dog peeing shot as an editorial comment on that town the first time the episode was shown. Great minds, etc.

• Love 2
17 hours ago, Bastet said:

When you click in the search field (the one that appears below the thread title, to the left of the follow button), you can select to search for your term(s) everywhere, this forum, this topic, etc.

That's really weird.  I don't have a search field in that location.  In fact, I have to go back to the forum home page if I want to search.  I can't search in a thread.  Maybe I should try a different browser.

I just watched the mother/daughter team in Paris.  Yuck.  I agree with the poster who said Mom's balding.  The daughter's hair looked limp and sparse, too.  And the daughter talked with her head bent to one side, as if it were too heavy for her neck (said in my best Cali/Brit/Parisian accent, natch).  🤢 🤮

Edited by CouchTater
  • LOL 1
  • Love 4

Mother and daughter in Paris may be the most insufferable and pretentious people they’ve ever had on this show. And that’s saying a lot!  Who buys an apartment in a centuries old building that appears to be leaning to one side? Not a surprise that neither one of them appears to be in a relationship. They’ll never find anyone as wonderful as each other. 

• LOL 7
  • Love 7
5 hours ago, CouchTater said:

That's really weird.  I don't have a search field in that location.  In fact, I have to go back to the forum home page if I want to search.  I can't search in a thread.  Maybe I should try a different browser.

I have terrible eyesight, so I have my browser (Firefox) screen set at 150% (after using the site's XL theme); to see that search field, I have to reduce it to 100%.  Once I go back to the site's normal like that, it shows up.  When you click in the search box, the options come up to search just a thread, forum, etc.:

Untitled.png

13 hours ago, Johnny Dollar said:

Who buys an apartment in a centuries old building that appears to be leaning to one side? 

Actually that was the one bit I had no problem with. I wouldn't have bought that apartment, but not because of the leaning. There are lots of buildings like that in Europe that are perfectly safe and sound. 

• Love 1

Maryland to Chile.  Ok, these kids win the award for the most obnoxious children ever.  The parents kept mentioning needing time away from their kids - she to the beach and he hiking to the mountains - and I fully understand why now.

• LOL 11
  • Love 1
1 hour ago, Pickles said:

Do not need to hear young children’s opinions of the housing options. Makes me annoyed at the kids and the parents for indulging them. 

Seriously! I’ve mentioned before that, as a child, my family moved about every two years because of his job and it wasn’t to exotic places like Chile. My brother and I didn’t whine about like those brats and demand bribes. The girl was the worst. What kid her age needs a queen size bed?

• LOL 1
  • Love 9

Navy dentist to Singapore:  Can't get over the budget they had.  I found the husband so annoying with his wanting to spend as much as possible - 5- 6 bedrooms - I want bling - etc.  Threw me for a loop when he whined about the first place (which they did end up getting) as being so far away (30 minutes?) from I guess his job but it was only 5 minutes from his daughter's school.  So I guess he'd rather have the six year old travel 30 minutes to school?????

Good thing the wife had some common sense.

• Love 4
On 8/2/2019 at 6:20 AM, Kenzie said:

I thought the realtor showed great restraint in not tossing him off the nearest balcony. He treated her like she wasn't listening, that she "didn't get it" and was holding out on showing him what he wanted. 

I just saw this Turin episode.  I was tempted to start throwing things at the tv screen.  INCREASE YOUR BUDGET, YOU UGLY AMERICAN!!!

• Love 5
1 hour ago, Grrarrggh said:

Yikes, you guys must not spend time around children. The Chile kids were, well, normal. Not especially bratty or perfect. Normal. 

We have 11 grandchildren and not a single one acts like those kids. To our grandchildren standard, they were brats.

• LOL 3
  • Love 4
12 minutes ago, chessiegal said:

We have 11 grandchildren and not a single one acts like those kids. To our grandchildren standard, they were brats.

I wouldn't be so sure.... Are you around them all day every day? All kids act like those kids did. Nothing they said or did was particularly bratty either. I saw humour, tiredness, typical age appropriate behaviour, and a knowledge that a camera was nearby. 

• Love 5
3 hours ago, chessiegal said:

The girl wanted a Queen size bed? Not one of our 11 would ever demand such a thing. Are they angels? Of course not. But those kids were way too entitled.

She didn't demand anything. She made a joke.... 

• Love 2

Netherlands: I liked the place with the floral wallpaper accent wall the best. Nice couple. Loved their wedding pics!

2 hours ago, Grrarrggh said:

She didn't demand anything. She made a joke.... 

I didn’t take it as a joke. I just don’t want to see the kids involved in the process on HH or HHI. 

• Love 10
2 hours ago, LittleIggy said:

I didn’t take it as a joke. I just don’t want to see the kids involved in the process on HH or HHI. 

Exactly!! Unless or until the kids are paying for the house, they don't get a say...and I definitely don't need or want their opinion. More importantly, if I want to see kids involved in ANY process, I'll watch the Disney Channel.

• Love 8

I finally saw the Notorious Max Stomps Through the Netherlands episode. 

My. Lord.

Mom: "What do you want to do for lunch?"
Max: "Eat?"

Cue parents laughing like it's the cleverest thing ever.

Repeat this 20 times.

Realtor: "Max, what do you think about moving to the Netherlands?"
Max: "Not excited."

That's when I'd leave Max on the side of the road.

I swear, they're raising a future serial killer.

• LOL 13
  • Love 2
3 hours ago, txvoodoo said:

I finally saw the Notorious Max Stomps Through the Netherlands episode. 

My. Lord.

Mom: "What do you want to do for lunch?"
Max: "Eat?"

Cue parents laughing like it's the cleverest thing ever.

Repeat this 20 times.

Realtor: "Max, what do you think about moving to the Netherlands?"
Max: "Not excited."

That's when I'd leave Max on the side of the road.

I swear, they're raising a future serial killer.

Once someone's child starts the snark/sarcasm/stank attitude with me I disengage, post haste.  I don't do well with that from anyone, let alone a child. I only get my snark from Primetimer!

Also, I don't have children, which might explain my attitude.

• LOL 7
  • Love 4
18 hours ago, Grrarrggh said:

Yikes, you guys must not spend time around children. The Chile kids were, well, normal. Not especially bratty or perfect. Normal. 

And many of us are not interested in seeing 'normal' kids on TV kibbutzing about housing options.  However, I've known quite a few middle schoolers in my time and I disagree that those kids were not bratty.  They were clearly performing for the camera and I for one, am not interested in a kid's opinion about where the family should live nor in seeing parents who apparently give equal weight to their children's preferences as their own when it comes to major financial investments.

• Useful 1
  • Love 15
2 hours ago, doodlebug said:

And many of us are not interested in seeing 'normal' kids on TV kibbutzing about housing options.  However, I've known quite a few middle schoolers in my time and I disagree that those kids were not bratty.  They were clearly performing for the camera and I for one, am not interested in a kid's opinion about where the family should live nor in seeing parents who apparently give equal weight to their children's preferences as their own when it comes to major financial investments.

THIS!  Had to turn off the sound for those obnoxious youngsters.  That's certainly not considered normal behavior in my little town.

• Love 4

I wonder where the couple from California to Amsterdam are actually from because they showed SF and a house clearly not in SF but than when he was talking about rush hour traffic he compared it to the 405 which in California means Southern California.

• Useful 1
8 minutes ago, biakbiak said:

I wonder where the couple from California to Amsterdam are actually from because they showed SF and a house clearly not in SF but than when he was talking about rush hour traffic he compared it to the 405 which in California means Southern California.

I looked at his Linkedin and it says San Francisco Bay area.

Enjoyed the Amsterdam episode - the couple was very nice (and certainly seemed compatible) and all three places were really nice.

My DVR cut off as they were going up the stairs and he was saying he had done a surprise for her.  What was the surprise?

• Love 1
2 minutes ago, Grrarrggh said:

They weren't middle schoolers. One was ten, the other around eight. 

OK, then they were bratty elementary schoolers.  I’ve known plenty of kids that age, too, and most parents would not have put up with the attitudes that those kids demonstrated.  I realize they were showing off for the cameras thinking they were being cute; but most parents would nip that behavior in the bud long before they got to 8 and 10.  It’s not cute, it’s obnoxious.

• Love 10

Safor, Spain:  As an introvert I'd have gone with La Drova in the mountains, but get their wanting to be in town.  Lovely place to retire, and just 40 miles south of Valencia.  Cullera halfway in between is a scenic option, too.  All very affordable, coastal California at a fraction of the price. 

Rolling my eyes at the adult child's "I want my own room!"  Brother can sleep on the couch when visiting.

Edited by pep4
  • Love 4
2 hours ago, doodlebug said:

OK, then they were bratty elementary schoolers.  I’ve known plenty of kids that age, too, and most parents would not have put up with the attitudes that those kids demonstrated.  I realize they were showing off for the cameras thinking they were being cute; but most parents would nip that behavior in the bud long before they got to 8 and 10.  It’s not cute, it’s obnoxious.

Would someone please tell me what, EXACTLY they said/did that was soooo horrible? Aside from being on the programme (not their fault, that's all on the producers) and joking about a queen size bed what made them so bratty? 

• Love 1

I thought they were  sweet kids who were uprooted unhappily to a foreign country and making the best of the situation with good humor and cooperation.  As far as taking your kids to a foreign country when they really don't want to go, I totally think that the parents do the right thing by getting the kids engaged in the move and the transition, including housing choices, so that they have some sense of control over their lives that they honestly don't have at that age. You give a kid a choice of options you find acceptable and get them on board in a less tense and more cooperative and positive way.

That said, this is all fake. All the people involved KNOW what house they are going to live in and the pretend house search is for the show. The kids aren't vetoing a housing choice in real life and everyone knows it. It's just for the cameras. Some kids act bratty but these particular children seemed normal and sweet to me. I really liked them.

However, I don't like kids on these shows. Their presence is annoying as a viewer. So I'm there with you on that part. But these kids? Were fine IMO.

The Indian-American couple in Netherlands was adorable. My favorite HHI couple ever. I loved when she said, "I may or may not be married to a person with strong opinions."  Love her.

• Love 7

I had read comments on the Chilean move and had expected the spawns from hell and found them to be completely normal very bright and actually somewhat charming. 

Moving tweens to a different neighborhood let alone a completely different culture in a foreign country is a very difficult move and the parents were absolutely correct in attempting to do everything possible so that the children felt that their needs were being met.

That aspect of the move WAS the "plot" insofar as all of these episodes have some kind of shtick to drive the narrative forward. So the children were being shown on camera as part of the process because I suspect they were part of the process. At the very end when choices were being considered, the wife said that OBVIOUSLY the final decision would be the parents but they wanted the children's preferences to be a factor to be considered. I find that to be a completely normal family dynamic in the 21st century.

I have no idea what kind of family dynamic others have but my brother and I would have for sure squabbled about rooms if we ever had moved when we were tweens and at the age when normal siblings do argue about almost everything :-).

The episode I found off-putting was the boy in Amsterdam because the dynamic with the family seemed off - to the extent anyone can judge people based on edited footage in a heightened emotional setting. I suspect he didn't want to be filmed and so that reluctance probably exacerbated his sullenness. However, I suspect that his parents in reality thought everything he did was perfection because there was nothing particularly witty or special about anything he said and his parents would act as if gems of wit and wisdom had been spoken. But really again - he just seemed like a very normal kid who was being put in an uncomfortable situation. I am 100% certain I would have been picked apart as being a "brat" or whatever if I had been filmed with my parents for a television show while we were pretending to be house hunting.

• Love 5
On 8/29/2019 at 11:20 PM, judylo said:

I found both mother and daughter insufferable. But the daughter was worse.

Paris ^^^: I agree! The daughter's affected Generic-Euro accent was maddening!

Amsterdam: Young Indian-American couple. They. Didn't. Take. The. Canal. View.  I have no more time for these idiots.

• LOL 1
  • Love 4