Type keyword(s) to search

House Hunters International - General Discussion

• Start Topic

28 minutes ago, StatisticalOutlier said:

We had a cat that took a dump in the bathtub whenever she got mad,

At least a bath tub is relatively easy to sanitize. The first time we left my otherwise sweet kitty at home while we went away (having a cat sitter come to feed her and clean her litter box twice a day), she pooped all over the carpet in our bedroom. Our bedroom door is now closed when we go away. 

• Love 2
18 hours ago, LittleIggy said:

Children cause damage, too!

True!

17 hours ago, MsTree said:

Except children don't chew on furniture and molding, etc. 

Animals also have accidents...whereas a child would be wearing a diaper.

Yes, the animals would cause more damage.

8 hours ago, StatisticalOutlier said:

While I generally agree, I'm in a statistics battle elsewhere right now, so I'll point out that I would assume there are many many more motel rooms occupied by children than by animals, plus a child's mess is probably "quicker" than a dog's and therefore more likely to happen in a motel--like the kid will make a mess while eating, and a dog's damage is likely more cumulative over time, like chewing or scratching on furniture.

I do appreciate the self-cleaning nature of a dog's mess with food, but then you have dog slobber to deal with.

But what do I know?  When I'm in a motel, I neatly fold up the newspapers and set them on top of the trash can.  Anything to make the maid not go, "Oh, shit" when she walks in.  That's a bad enough job already.

Yeah, I thought getting in bathtubs with your shoes on is bad. 

Both things are bad and gross.

• Love 3
On ‎6‎/‎14‎/‎2019 at 5:05 AM, alexvillage said:

I usually watched HGTV but I caught some of the episodes in this show - out of order - and  gosh, the script writers need to get their act together.

Also, some of the buyers sound as though they are reading their lines straight off of cue cards.

• Love 2

Prague: I liked the place she picked, but I also liked the Funkytown crazy paint flat. The sloping roof wall flat would drive me nuts. Plus, even with a door on that bedroom, one would have to walk through the other “bedroom” to get to it.

• Love 1
6 hours ago, LittleIggy said:

The sloping roof wall flat would drive me nuts. Plus, even with a door on that bedroom, one would have to walk through the other “bedroom” to get to it.

Plus after all of the angst over no wardrobe in the city place, were there any closets in that sloping roof place?  I didn't see any.

Ontario to  Prague- Aaaand again, Miss 'I Want to Soak up ALL THE CULTURE' ends up giggling with a bunch of 20 and 30-something white upper middle class North American women.

I still want to know how these international jobs work. Almost none of the people we've seen who have moved abroad for these positions over the years seem to speak the native language, and seem to hang out with primarily American fellow employees. Why, exactly, do they all need to be IN Prague (or wherever)?

• Love 5
6 hours ago, LittleIggy said:

I think I saw a clothes rack.

I loved that first one...that "duh" line on the balcony, "is it busy during rush hour"  was a bit silly.  No, we only have about 10 cars go by an hour.

The 2 of them were a bit too perky and silly, I agree. She has a chaise couch and asks if it pulls out, some do but I don't think it needs too.  And she loves Europe and never saw a toilet separate from the bathroom? I find that odd.  And why did she want a large dishwasher. Such odd comments to script. I guess I've heard worse but this one seemed off because I took a break for about a month and it's more "fresh" ; )

And yes there was a clothes rack in the last one. Odd place, the third but different and artsy for the right person. I agree, re the light near the shower but I guess no one has been electrocuted. ; 0

• Love 2

Canada to Athens.  So he wants to be by the bars and restaurants because apparently he doesn't have a job so he picks a place where his working wife has a 2 hour commute.  Nice.

• Love 2
7 hours ago, Kohola3 said:

Canada to Athens.  So he wants to be by the bars and restaurants because apparently he doesn't have a job so he picks a place where his working wife has a 2 hour commute.  Nice.

I got the impression he did have a job as this never came up, they only talked about her job. If he didn't have one, the show usual brings that up. Maybe he works for home or will be?

Anyhow, I liked this episode a lot more then the usual ones. I loved all the culture in it and the realistic involvement of her parents.

• Love 1

Athens- How the heck did these 2 ever get together? He was such a sourpuss-no sense of humor at all- and the wife spent all her energy trying to soothe his prickliness. Dude, her parents are paying for your new house, lighten up.

• Useful 1
  • Love 4

I have a slightly different take on the Athens episode. Her parents will always be too  involved in their lives, especially since they gave the couple $100,000  toward the house. She seemed so immature, always needing to check in for her parent's approval. He was  lacking in any kind of enthusiasm, but I would spend 1 hr. with her and go out of my mind!!!  The parents made it very clear they would have preferred she marry "A nice Greek boy". Wonder how long they will last?? 

• Love 8

I don't give that Greek marriage much time. Once she gets near her parents it's going to be their way or the highway. They'll insist on her popping out kids right away. He didn't seem to be all that thrilled with the idea. I wonder if they even talked about it before moving to Greece. This does not look like a marriage that will last long.

• Love 4

Re: Athens couple. The guy did say, several times, that his opinions don't seem to matter. I actually felt sorry for him as he was steamrolled by the wife and in-laws. And, with the Greek economy not doing too well, I didn't believe for one single second when the realtor said the housing market was hot. Did anyone else think this was not the case???? 

• Useful 1
  • Love 3
12 hours ago, PennyPie18 said:

I have a slightly different take on the Athens episode. Her parents will always be too  involved in their lives, especially since they gave the couple $100,000  toward the house. She seemed so immature, always needing to check in for her parent's approval. He was  lacking in any kind of enthusiasm, but I would spend 1 hr. with her and go out of my mind!!!  The parents made it very clear they would have preferred she marry "A nice Greek boy". Wonder how long they will last?? 

Yeah, once the parents gave them that big a chunk of change the parents were majorly involved in that marriage. The husband didn’t seem very happy.

London: I didn’t see the problem with the bedroom in the Camden flat. It just needed to be personalized. It looked perfectly serviceable for its purpose: sleeping!

• Love 4

I will never get the appeal of going along with things that aren’t true for a tiny amount of money, given the amount of time shooting its not even minimum wage in most places, to be on tv. 

• Love 1
27 minutes ago, biakbiak said:

I will never get the appeal of going along with things that aren’t true for a tiny amount of money, given the amount of time shooting its not even minimum wage in most places, to be on tv. 

Fifteen minutes of fame - can't live without it.

• Love 2
4 minutes ago, Kohola3 said:

Fifteen minutes of fame - can't live without it.

Yes I was saying I don’t get the appeal of being on tv especially for that amount of money. According to the article she was also only recognized once so not apparently 15 seconds of fame is more like it.

5 hours ago, ML89 said:

Speaking of filming the show - a twofer - a couple who's done both HHI and "regular" HH:

here

That's interesting that they were on both shows. I think I actually saw her HHI episode. It's nice that they are real people who really did move there. I've heard from other articles how they use a "fake" realtor which makes sense as they already own the house.

• Love 1
14 minutes ago, LittleIggy said:

I loved all the cats they showed in Athens. I was like, “Ooh, kitties!” 😀

There are a metric shit ton of street cats in Greece.  They're generally not feral, though - while "owning" a cat is something of a foreign concept in Greece (although certainly not unheard of; there are indeed pet cats), there is still a good deal of human interaction with many of the strays.  It's quite a mixed bag in terms of how they're regarded and treated, and on the whole one that was difficult for me to be around upon visiting - but beautiful cats lazily sunning themselves in one of the world's most beautiful settings is not readily forgotten, either.

• Love 3
On 6/19/2019 at 11:33 AM, PennyPie18 said:

But I could swear at one point the wife jokingly said her mom liked her husband more than her. Mom-in-law was even learning English to communicate better. I agree she had not cut the cord yet but her husband truly was a sourpuss. His little digs about not needing 3 bedrooms b/c they had no kids yet or his analogy where he asked if she drove a minivan in " anticipation" of having kids one day, were snarky. I got the wife's point: she wanted the largest place they could afford now , as they would have a family one day, and also to have room for guests. Some folks do not like moving every 5-10 years. She was nice to accommodate him in the end, but heck, her folks gave them friggin 100K! I think proximity to her job and a larger place trumped his wanting to be near restaurants and shops! One other nitpick was how he was insistent that the enclosed kitchen of that other 3 bedroom unit was unacceptable. Only open concept will do. His wife was fine with it as that is how she grew up. Some of us have no issues with designated rooms. My kitchen is cut off and in the back. My staircase runs from side to side, in the middle of the home. The only consideration we made to an open concept is to widen significantly the case openings in each room.  I can extend the dining table into the living room if needed. But to dismiss an apartment due to a kitchen being closed off, was silly imo.

• Love 6
1 hour ago, ECM1231 said:

But I could swear at one point the wife jokingly said her mom liked her husband more than her. Mom-in-law was even learning English to communicate better. I agree she had not cut the cord yet but her husband truly was a sourpuss. His little digs about not needing 3 bedrooms b/c they had no kids yet or his analogy where he asked if she drove a minivan in " anticipation" of having kids one day, were snarky. I got the wife's point: she wanted the largest place they could afford now , as they would have a family one day, and also to have room for guests. Some folks do not like moving every 5-10 years. She was nice to accommodate him in the end, but heck, her folks gave them friggin 100K! I think proximity to her job and a larger place trumped his wanting to be near restaurants and shops! One other nitpick was how he was insistent that the enclosed kitchen of that other 3 bedroom unit was unacceptable. Only open concept will do. His wife was fine with it as that is how she grew up. Some of us have no issues with designated rooms. My kitchen is cut off and in the back. My staircase runs from side to side, in the middle of the home. The only consideration we made to an open concept is to widen significantly the case openings in each room.  I can extend the dining table into the living room if needed. But to dismiss an apartment due to a kitchen being closed off, was silly imo.

I never personally got the "open concept" and some say it's lessening in likability.  I have a colonial and like my walls! lol  It lessens sound and with 3 kids including a set of twins, I never felt "cut off" from them and couldn't hear or see them at some point. I noticed at my brother's who has a huge living room/kitchen L shape that is open, many end up in his enclosed den which is smaller watching TV or just talking because it's quieter. To each his or her own, but I wonder how long they will use that as a deal breaker on TV.

• Love 2
3 hours ago, debraran said:

I never personally got the "open concept" and some say it's lessening in likability.  I have a colonial and like my walls! lol  It lessens sound and with 3 kids including a set of twins, I never felt "cut off" from them and couldn't hear or see them at some point. I noticed at my brother's who has a huge living room/kitchen L shape that is open, many end up in his enclosed den which is smaller watching TV or just talking because it's quieter. To each his or her own, but I wonder how long they will use that as a deal breaker on TV.

Totally agree. Open concept means everything in your kitchen has to be kept spotless at all times because anyone walking in the front door can see all the way through your house. Sorry, but I'm just not that diligent of a housekeeper. Let me close a door and keep guests contained where I want them.

I think they have explained the desperation of open concept several times on the show. It is part of the Helicopter Mom philosophy. Several of the woman on the show have said, "I'll be able to watch the kids while I'm in the kitchen." Having visual contact with them at all times is somehow an essential element of parenting to these people.

• Love 7

Our house has the open concept kitchen. It was built in 1962, but the mother loved to see and hear her family while she was cooking. So, down came the walls! She was quite a bit ahead of her time. It took me a while to get used to having no walls, but I'm now okay with it. And yes, you do need to keep your kitchen somewhat tidy, since everyone can see it.🧐

I'm like that too but I still hate it when my sister will say, "oh I see you didn't do this or that" or "I just can't leave the dishes". lol

My mom had a cape, kitchen down a hall from living room and she could have coffee with friend and I could play in my room or watch TV in living room and not hear every word (well they were Italians, so sometimes it was loud) But I can't imagine open concept with that...lol

I laugh when Mom's on HH shows make it seem like they just can't see their kids in another room. Like they don't have cameras probably and monitors. And guess what, little ones can play in the kitchen while you do the dishes. Geez, the common sense loss on TV can cross the line from funny to just stupid.

• Love 4
1 hour ago, debraran said:

I'm like that too but I still hate it when my sister will say, "oh I see you didn't do this or that" or "I just can't leave the dishes". lol

My mom had a cape, kitchen down a hall from living room and she could have coffee with friend and I could play in my room or watch TV in living room and not hear every word (well they were Italians, so sometimes it was loud) But I can't imagine open concept with that...lol

I laugh when Mom's on HH shows make it seem like they just can't see their kids in another room. Like they don't have cameras probably and monitors. And guess what, little ones can play in the kitchen while you do the dishes. Geez, the common sense loss on TV can cross the line from funny to just stupid.

Yikes!  I used to be a neatnik but over the years have given up when the menfolk in the house never tried to help keep things tidy. And we've always had dogs that have longish hair (currently have a collie mix). I'm a lot older, and while the dishes are always rinsed and put into the dishwasher, I can't honestly say my kitchen is all that tidy. Not dirty, just a bit messy. And if my sister EVER said something like that to me, even jokingly, well, my mouth would get the better of me.  My home was never too huge that the lack of an open concept precluded me from knowing what the kiddos were up to. I also find lack of wall space hampers furniture placement. To each his own, I guess, but I prefer separate rooms. 

• Love 5
1 minute ago, ECM1231 said:

Yikes!  I used to be a neatnik but over the years have given up when the menfolk in the house never tried to help keep things tidy. And we've always had dogs that have longish hair (currently have a collie mix). I'm a lot older, and while the dishes are always rinsed and put into the dishwasher, I can't honestly say my kitchen is all that tidy. Not dirty, just a bit messy. And if my sister EVER said something like that to me, even jokingly, well, my mouth would get the better of me.  My home was never too huge that the lack of an open concept precluded me from knowing what the kiddos were up to. I also find lack of wall space hampers furniture placement. To each his own, I guess, but I prefer separate rooms. 

I agree, I need walls for furniture placement, don't like having everything in middle of room. I also have had dogs, yellow lab now and hair is always an issue. I also broke a bit inside when it was just me most of the time, my husband is just sloppy (but tries a bit in kitchen) and kids fluctuated, let things slide and then cleaned rooms. I liked spending time reading, walking, playing with the kids, if I left a dish out or spices or didn't clean up the kibble the dog left near his bowl right away, the world didn't come to an end.

My sister and I did have words and I don't surround myself with anyone that makes me unhappy anymore and age does bring you more chutzpah.

I like a half hour or hour of fantasy sometimes on TV, and I know these shows are fake but I just wish they had them a little more sensible at times. When you do get a great couple, I enjoy it even more.

• Love 2

Sometimes I'll see a picture or painting that I would love to buy, but...not enough walls to hang them. I have a nice island between the kitchen and living room. I put large, tall colorful plates in holders to create somewhat of a divider between the rooms. It's not a real wall, but it does work and sorta "separates" the rooms. Still wish I had a wall, though.☹️

• Love 4
12 hours ago, eel21788 said:

I think they have explained the desperation of open concept several times on the show. It is part of the Helicopter Mom philosophy. Several of the woman on the show have said, "I'll be able to watch the kids while I'm in the kitchen." Having visual contact with them at all times is somehow an essential element of parenting to these people.

I think open concept Is also part builders'/remodeling industry strategy to keep profitable.  It is far cheaper to build a house with fewer walls and doors, it also increase square footage without increasing the actual footprint of a home.  That's to the benefit of builders.  Then, the remodeling industry latched onto open concept to make a buck as it is much pricier to remove walls and put in new supports in old builds than to keep the rooms as they are.  It also makes people consider remodeling their existing home sooner than they might otherwise because they see these shows and start to covet stuff that is presented as more 'modern' and 'updated'.  Finally, TV production probably loves it, too as it is far easier to set up equipment and get various angles and shots in a single space than to go from room to room and have to start fresh each time they want to show another room.  Open concept is 'made for TV'.

I grew up in the '60's, one of 6 kids.  As I recall, one of my mother's main missions in life was to get us out of her sight; watching our every move, being on top of us while we played would've driven her crazy, and, with 6 kids, it was a short trip anyway.

• LOL 2
  • Love 9

I enjoyed seeing the Cuernevaca, Mexico episode.  It looks like a beautiful city from the scenes that were shown.  I like to see more of Mexico and central America other than the beach resort communities, that HHI has shown on so many episodes.  I thought for sure that the buyer was going to buy the 2nd house, but he went with the ultra modern one which was lovely.  I loved seeing the drone footage of the houses, and that revealed how densely built those areas were.  Courtyards would be important to bring the outside in.  I kept wondering what was behind the tarp in the courtyard area of the 3rd house.  Maybe that's where they hid the patio and inside furniture during the tour of the "empty house" - lol.   The buyer had lead an interesting life being born in Switzerland, living in L.A. and now planning to eventually live in Mexico.

16 hours ago, LittleIggy said:

Cuernavaca, Mexico: I loved the house he picked. The living area sliding glass doors opening completely to the courtyard was breathtaking. And that roof garden. 🤭💕

I liked that one the best too. The house hunter has obviously been very successful in life but I found a little bit of his designer smugness went a long way

• Love 3

Kolkata: Loved when the dude, after his partner said something about needing another bedroom for visitors, said he was sure that visitors know about B&Bs. 😆 

That pall of pollution hanging over Kolkata looked awful. Reminded me of China and how sick the pollution made me. 😷

• Love 5
(edited)

I loved both the New Zealand episode and Kolkata. Both couples seemed fun. However, the short curtains in all of these houses drove me batty! They should be hung from the same height, regardless of the window’s location, and go all the way to the floor. It makes the room look more cohesive and gives the illusion of more height. 

Edited by 7isBlue
  • Love 1
7 hours ago, 7isBlue said:

Both couples seemed fun.

Really? I didn't see the NZ one, but the Kolkata pair were hostile jerks, imo. 

Seeing all the starving stray dogs in the streets would be a deal-killer for me. Not that South Africa (where they moved from) is all that much better any more, I guess. 

• Love 2
On 6/21/2019 at 12:29 PM, debraran said:

I never personally got the "open concept" and some say it's lessening in likability. 

I think all of those people who were brainwashed to think that open concept was the be-all and end-all have found out that the noise and inability to get away from anybody can get wearing. Plus, every smell from the kitchen permeates the entire house and god forbid you should burn the toast because very single fire alarm goes off.  Then there is the issue of kids growing into obnoxious teens when your only respite was to be in the kitchen with the door shut and now they are in your face unless you lock yourself in the bathroom.

Generations of kids successfully reached adulthood without being in the parental eye 24/7.

• LOL 1
  • Love 11
2 minutes ago, Kohola3 said:

I think all of those people who were brainwashed to think that open concept was the be-all and end-all have found out that the noise and inability to get away from anybody can get wearing.

We're househunting right now and it's discouraging how many houses are open concept.  Even houses where it makes no sense.  It is refreshing though to come across listings where they highlight separate rooms.  "formal dining room" and  "cozy kitchen" seem to be shortcut ways of saying "hey come see our walls"!!

• Love 7

I never understood when people want open concept so they can see everyone when they are cooking.  Maybe it's our lifestyle but we get home from work.  Prep something like fish or chicken, toss it in the oven and watch some television or catch up on mail.  Back in the kitchen and make a side or salad to go with dinner.  Eat, clean kitchen and go downstairs and watch television.

All these people act like they are preparing 7 course meals every night for dinner.  I prefer to spend the least amount of time in the kitchen as possible.

• Love 8
(edited)
1 hour ago, sempervivum said:

Really? I didn't see the NZ one, but the Kolkata pair were hostile jerks, imo. 

Seeing all the starving stray dogs in the streets would be a deal-killer for me. Not that South Africa (where they moved from) is all that much better any more, I guess. 

My heart went into my mouth when they showed that cat almost getting hit by a motor bike.

Edited by LittleIggy
  • Love 1
1 hour ago, LittleIggy said:

My heart went into my mouth when they showed that cat almost getting hit by a motor bike.

Not trying to be horrible here but if it did it would have been a meal for somebody.  People literally sleep (and die) in the streets there.

• Love 1
50 minutes ago, Kohola3 said:

Not trying to be horrible here but if it did it would have been a meal for somebody.  People literally sleep (and die) in the streets there.

They do that in a lot of cities in America as well.

• Love 1
(edited)
3 hours ago, WI GIRL56 said:

I never understood when people want open concept so they can see everyone when they are cooking. 

I have hated the open concept idea since it started showing up because I have been living in such a house for three years while taking care of my 95 year old mother. Her kitchen is the open, central hub from which her formal living, dining, family, laundry and bathrooms all surround. The ONLY place I can get away from the constant day and evening-long blare of her TV is in my bedroom with the door closed. I find it a difficult and unhappy chore to cook with the noise. I can't concentrate to enjoy crafting and I feel like the whole house needs to be constantly tidy in case someone drops by. And then there's the background noise of the washing machine, dishwasher and fridge humming away. Give me walls any day!

Edited by Kenzie
  • Love 5
14 hours ago, LittleIggy said:

Kolkata: Loved when the dude, after his partner said something about needing another bedroom for visitors, said he was sure that visitors know about B&Bs. 😆 

I've seen too much Amazing Race - I recognized the green and yellow train and heard that train sound they use on the show in my head.

If I was the second guy who cooked, I'd've said "going back to South Africa, honey, so when you get back, you'll have a place to come home to" because no way would I have gone along - was he involved in the drama academy "franchise" too?

I did love that agent giving the camera guys the "get a load of these guys" eye.

• Love 2
Just now, biakbiak said:

They do that in a lot of cities in America as well.

True but not like Kolkata.  The sidewalks in the city are literally filled with sleeping bodies at night.  You can't even walk down a sidewalk.  

• Love 2