Jump to content
Forums forums
PRIMETIMER
saoirse

House Hunters International

Recommended Posts

8 minutes ago, sempervivum said:

and why do you need a separate space for it?

Have you seen how much crap people who make jewelry have? Yes, they need a space. The PBS show Beads, Baubles and Jewels says it all.

  • Laugh 1

Share this post


Link to post

17 minutes ago, sempervivum said:

LA to Mexico- What was I missing here? I swear the husband said they had rented a studio space, so why was wifey yammering on and on about how she needed a house that had lots of space for her 'crafting'? Is 'crafting' different than 'jewelry making', and why do you need a separate space for it?

Also, since she apparently has no intention of bearing his children, at least she's letting him have an apartment in town.

I personally feel a sense of relief that these two aren't going to be reproducing anytime soon.  I presume that hubby wants a space where he can build furniture after he is done with meditation and yoga which apparently consume his mornings.  Building furniture requires a lot of fairly bulky materiel as well as a lot of large tools and requires dedicated floor space and probably access to electricity,  so I can see why he needs a workshop.  Jewelry making, on the other hand, is a lot less space consuming and probably can be done almost anywhere; so I can see why she might want to have space at home for it.  Of course, she also said she is very messy and apparently doesn't clean up after herself too well, so perhaps he doesn't want to share space with her.  And, as noted above, she probably has a crap-ton of little boxes and bags filled with itty-bitty junk she strings together to make her creations and needs a place to store it in addition to whatever she might need for her current project.  You don't need much space to actually assemble the junky jewelry, but you do need space to store all of the zillions of tiny little beads and fake pearls, and stones and sparkles you've accumulated for your 'craft'.

Edited by doodlebug
  • Like 4

Share this post


Link to post

I can't imagine anyone in Mexico, perhaps other than ex-pats, wanting or needing her jewelry or his furniture.  

  • Like 3
  • Laugh 2

Share this post


Link to post
On ‎05‎/‎09‎/‎2019 at 11:41 AM, mojito said:

This couple couldn't afford Hong Kong or Taiwan, and I doubt they'd want to live in the People's Republic of China (by this I mean the mainland as I believe Taiwan is also part of the PPC)

No, Taiwan is a separate country from the People's Republic of China.  Hong Kong, on the other hand, was repatriated years ago and is part of PPC.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post

LA to Mexico: Now we know where Santa spends his off season! 😆

I liked the first house the best. Funky baroque!

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post

I finally watched the Amsterdam couple and while I didn’t like them I didn’t like the realtor either, I can understand being annoyed with them because their wishlist was too much for their budget but she kept saying they didn’t need a third bedroom because she was currently pregnant. I mean if they were renting I could sort of see her point but looking 2 or 3 years ahead if not longer is pretty common when buying.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post

She 'wasn't' currently pregnant you mean.  Maybe she never will be or maybe it will be several years down the road.  Why not enjoy a two-bedroom apartment for the time being, then sell (make a profit) and find a bigger place in a few years.  He may even get transferred to another location sometime in the future.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
3 minutes ago, DonnaMae said:

She 'wasn't' currently pregnant you mean.  Maybe she never will be or maybe it will be several years down the road.  Why not enjoy a two-bedroom apartment for the time being, then sell (make a profit) and find a bigger place in a few years.  He may even get transferred to another location sometime in the future.

Yes I meant currently but he made it sound like they were going to get pregnant soon. However, I had missed the beginning and assumed the Gracie or whatever the name was was their dog and not a child so a two bedroom makes more sense than I thought when I posted. However, because I hate moving I would never in a million years purchase a place that I would outgrow in one or two years.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
2 hours ago, biakbiak said:

I finally watched the Amsterdam couple and while I didn’t like them I didn’t like the realtor either, I can understand being annoyed with them because their wishlist was too much for their budget but she kept saying they didn’t need a third bedroom because she was currently pregnant. I mean if they were renting I could sort of see her point but looking 2 or 3 years ahead if not longer is pretty common when buying.

Also, they were spending a million and I’d want a lot for that, too, frankly. I get expensive city blah blah but someone would damn well hear me complain about a million bucks not getting me a washer and dryer. 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post

You can complain all you want, but if a million bucks won't get you what you want in a certain city, then it is what it is.  Either accept that or move someplace else.

  • Like 8

Share this post


Link to post

These aren't HHI but if you enjoy the house shows, they gave me a chuckle. The first one hits on tiny houses also.

  • Like 3
  • Laugh 4

Share this post


Link to post

Expat memoirs may be a dime a dozen, but anyone interested in San Miguel de Allende should read this book!  I was surprised it is less than 20 years old - that town has gotten really popular really fast.

12D22FF1-7221-4755-B81D-81A859763B53.jpeg

Share this post


Link to post

The Kansas City moving to Australia, so the mom could go to dental school. I am guessing she could not get into any US school, but how does this work? She finishes school in 4-5 years in Australia, moves back to KC and has to take US boards. This just all seems crazy to me. The wife seemed to enjoy her time on tv. Lol. 

  • Like 5

Share this post


Link to post
1 hour ago, Pickles said:

The Kansas City moving to Australia, so the mom could go to dental school. I am guessing she could not get into any US school, but how does this work? She finishes school in 4-5 years in Australia, moves back to KC and has to take US boards. This just all seems crazy to me. The wife seemed to enjoy her time on tv. Lol. 

For real! I was wondering why she had to go to Oz for dental school. The kids were surprisingly unannoying.

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post

A quick google search even with living expenses indicates it can be  both cheaper and more difficult to get into than in the US plus they are in demand there so you would most likely qualify for a work Visa after graduation.

Edited by biakbiak
  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post

The KC to Australia couple sure were impressed with themselves, weren’t they?  You are moving to Australia for dental school, not colonizing Mars.   It doesn’t make you amazing.

  • Like 6
  • Laugh 3

Share this post


Link to post

Boy was I shocked the KC to Cairns chose the apartment - thought for sure they'd pick house 1.  Can't believe she had to go to Australia for dental school.  I thought the husband and kids were okay but the wife was a pain - and to be catty couldn't stand the yellow hair.  I don't think they mentioned schooling for the kids.

I watched this one because I've been to Cairns (back in 2001).  It reminded me a lot of Hawaii but boy was it hot and humid (was there in September).

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post

Something I have wondered about moving to Australia - since their summer is our winter, if a kid from the US moved there at the end of our school year (beginning of our summer) would they have to start school right away in Australia (their fall)?  I am making the assumption their school year runs from early fall through late spring.  

Share this post


Link to post

1 hour ago, Mittengirl said:

am making the assumption their school year runs from early fall through late spring.  

Australian schools are year round and start in January with breaks between terms, there are four, and end in December.

Edited by biakbiak
  • Like 2
  • Useful 5

Share this post


Link to post

Well, I was pretty impressed with the 40 year-old mom/wife who uprooted her family to go to dental school.  I took a very short break after completing my bachelor's degree to attend graduate school and that was only for a Master's degree. Dental school is at least 3 years f/t, right?  IDK if I were 40 and married with a f/t job and 2 about to be teenage kids, that I'd have the energy to start a whole new career, much less move halfway across the world! I give her a lot of credit. Their kids were so cute, and I loved the son's  ginger hair. I also thought the daughter was very well-spoken for  her age. I guess their budget was pretty tight, though, b/c I'd have sprung for the extra $150/month and chosen house #1. 

  • Like 5

Share this post


Link to post

I looked up the KC to Australia mom. She got her college degree in 2015. I would imagine she spent the next 2-3 years trying to get into the dental school in her city (it is the same school as her undergrad). It is super competitive now to get into dental/med/vet school. 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
9 minutes ago, Ohwell said:

Australia couple:  did they say what the husband did?

He worked for a railway company they didn’t specify in what capacity.

i wouldn’t presume that her going to school in Australia meant she couldn’t get in in the US. 

Edited by biakbiak

Share this post


Link to post

Tonight's episode in Amsterdam -- is the episode more about them, or their "realtor," former Bachelor Arie???  Ick.  Too many Bachelor references and photos of him and his wife.

  • Like 5

Share this post


Link to post
1 hour ago, Thumper said:

Tonight's episode in Amsterdam -- is the episode more about them, or their "realtor," former Bachelor Arie???  Ick.  Too many Bachelor references and photos of him and his wife.

Yeah, too many references to a show I will never watch. 

Why is there generally a big pay cut when someone transfers to a European division of the company they work for? Will the wife be working, too? 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post

I don’t watch The Bachelor but my boyfriend is a huge car guy so knows of his father and so I was googling and discovered that realtor/bachelor Arie and his wife (?) had their baby today so well planned HGTV!

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
10 hours ago, Thumper said:

Tonight's episode in Amsterdam -- is the episode more about them, or their "realtor," former Bachelor Arie???  

I never watched (nor ever will watch) that crap but even so, the minute they announced it I turned it off.  No city in the world is worth watching such a cheesy tactic.

Share this post


Link to post

I liked the "Arie the Bachelor" twist for the Amsterdam episode.  From what I saw last night, he seems to be a good realtor.

  • Like 5

Share this post


Link to post

I didn't mind the Bachelor twist either. In fact, I thought it was cool when he gave us the reminder that being The Bachelor was just a moment (my words), and that being a realtor was, in fact, his day job (again, my words).

That said, the Bachelor references got old quickly. Still enjoyed the episode though.

And how perfect was the timing IRL that his and Lauren's baby was born the day that their episode aired?

Edited by TVForever
  • Like 6

Share this post


Link to post

I liked all the Bachelor references, lol.  However, if he's going to be *the* realtor for future Amsterdam episodes (like Richard for the England ones) then I hope he's done with any Bachelor references. 

  • Like 4

Share this post


Link to post

Aww, I was really excited to come here today and post about Bachelor Arie's appearance last night as I am a long-time fan of the franchise, although not a fan of Arie.  At first I enjoyed the cheesy Bachelor references but then Arie went and overdid it.  Congrats to Arie and Lauren on the birth of their child, which is a blessing. I liked Arie as the lead until he humiliated his first choice, Becca, on national television.  Then I was done with him. I don't wish anyone ill but I just find it so odd that all of these people are so thirsty and will do anything to extend their 15 minutes of fame.

I'm glad the husband opened up his wallet and went a bit over budget as I think that was the best choice for them.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
4 hours ago, Ohwell said:

I liked the "Arie the Bachelor" twist for the Amsterdam episode.  From what I saw last night, he seems to be a good realtor.

As with all these eps it’s all fake so all I cant comment on that he was a bad actor delivering his lines  or the worlds most passive agent even though he is apparently a realtor in Arizona! 

Edited by biakbiak

Share this post


Link to post
6 minutes ago, biakbiak said:

As with all these eps it’s all fake so all I cant comment on that he was a bad actor delivering his lines  or the worlds most passive agent even though he is apparently a realtor in Arizona! 

Well, you're certainly entitled to your opinion, but I liked him.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
3 minutes ago, Ohwell said:

Well, you're certainly entitled to your opinion, but I liked him.

Apparently he and his wife areSM influencers so you can easily find content if he didn’t make you fall asleep.

Share this post


Link to post
4 minutes ago, biakbiak said:

Apparently he and his wife areSM influencers so you can easily find content if he didn’t make you fall asleep.

I'm not on any social media.  When I said I liked him I meant in reference to HHI.  

Are we done?

Share this post


Link to post

14 minutes ago, Ohwell said:

I'm not on any social media.  When I said I liked him I meant in reference to HHI.  

Are we done?

Huh? Pointing out to people who liked him could easily follow him.

Edited by biakbiak
  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post

Malta: I really liked that house. I agree that the zebra sofas needed slipcovers. Wonder what they did for a living. Sounded as if they moved there without jobs.

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
9 hours ago, LittleIggy said:

Malta: I really liked that house. I agree that the zebra sofas needed slipcovers. Wonder what they did for a living. Sounded as if they moved there without jobs.

The most annoying thing about these HHI shows is that, in many cases, the employment situation is a mystery. 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post

Malta -- Something sort of galled me at the beginning of the episode which we see every single time, but it got me to thinking.  We know the whole deal is staged, and the people already have chosen a place.  But it struck me as unnecessarily phony at the initial "meeting" when the realtor, of Malta, asks the clients, from the UK, "How much do you want to spend?" and they reply "One thousand dollars."    No ..   None of these people functions in any way in dollars, and it's just so faux to insult our intelligence by play-acting as if it meant something to them.

Given that the viewers are used to dollars, we still do know that in other places they have other currencies -  HGTV, Why can't you have your clients reply in the currency of the place where they are, and show a streamer across the screen showing its equivalent in dollars??  It would make the 'story' a little more realistic, and we could figure out how much the amount is in our experience.  

HGTV, anybody listening ??   I wonder if they ever did consider that ..  

  • Like 5

Share this post


Link to post
3 hours ago, Chippings said:

HGTV, Why can't you have your clients reply in the currency of the place where they are, and show a streamer across the screen showing its equivalent in dollars?? 

Back when I watched this show regularly, I complained about that all the time (on the TWoP forum).  It assumes such a lack of attention and an "Oh, no, something foreign!" aversion in the audience, and there may be something to that, but I would think the average viewer wouldn't be confused, and might even find it interesting to learn a little something.

  • Like 4

Share this post


Link to post

On 5/29/2019 at 12:51 AM, LittleIggy said:

For real! I was wondering why she had to go to Oz for dental school. The kids were surprisingly unannoying.

I wasn’t sure either and I agree about the kids.

Share this post


Link to post
On 5/29/2019 at 10:53 PM, Thumper said:

Tonight's episode in Amsterdam -- is the episode more about them, or their "realtor," former Bachelor Arie???  Ick.  Too many Bachelor references and photos of him and his wife.

Yeah it was over the top about the Bachelor references.

On 5/29/2019 at 1:38 PM, ECM1231 said:

Well, I was pretty impressed with the 40 year-old mom/wife who uprooted her family to go to dental school.  I took a very short break after completing my bachelor's degree to attend graduate school and that was only for a Master's degree. Dental school is at least 3 years f/t, right?  IDK if I were 40 and married with a f/t job and 2 about to be teenage kids, that I'd have the energy to start a whole new career, much less move halfway across the world! I give her a lot of credit. Their kids were so cute, and I loved the son's  ginger hair. I also thought the daughter was very well-spoken for  her age. I guess their budget was pretty tight, though, b/c I'd have sprung for the extra $150/month and chosen house #1. 

I liked this family especially after seeing that annoying couple in Mexico.

Share this post


Link to post
On 5/31/2019 at 12:32 AM, LittleIggy said:

Malta: I really liked that house. I agree that the zebra sofas needed slipcovers. Wonder what they did for a living. Sounded as if they moved there without jobs.

I was trying to figure out their previous employment and I don’t think they had jobs lined up in Malta either.

Share this post


Link to post

I’ve been to Malta so I’m always excited when a HHI episode features an episode from there.  It’s a fascinating country and incredibly picturesque!

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
On ‎05‎/‎24‎/‎2019 at 9:52 PM, ML89 said:

Also, they were spending a million and I’d want a lot for that, too, frankly. I get expensive city blah blah but someone would damn well hear me complain about a million bucks not getting me a washer and dryer. 

The reality was that a million dollars wasn't going to get them everything they wanted in downtown Amsterdam.  They had to make compromises, and since the only place with 3 bedrooms met fewer of their requirements, it was smart to eliminate that one.  Unless they moved to a less downtown location.

To be honest, I was a little surprised at how little one gets for the money there, but location IS everything.

Edited by proserpina65
  • Like 4

Share this post


Link to post

Puerto Vallarta: The guy going on about how much his deceased mother would want a colonial style place was annoying. The way he was carrying on, I expected her ghost to be joining them.

  • Like 3
  • Laugh 3

Share this post


Link to post
9 hours ago, LittleIggy said:

Puerto Vallarta: The guy going on about how much his deceased mother would want a colonial style place was annoying. The way he was carrying on, I expected her ghost to be joining them.

That was pretty odd. I just couldn't stick with it. I turned it off before they made their choice. I didn't really need to hear about one of them having 34 speedo swimsuits. Lol.

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
25 minutes ago, Pickles said:

I didn't really need to hear about one of them having 34 speedo swimsuits.

And watching them having their picture taken in Speedo suits at the end was vomit inducing.

"Mom would have loved this", blah, blah, blah.  And then putting a plaque on a chair for her - get real.

  • Like 5

Share this post


Link to post

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Restore formatting

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.


×
×
  • Create New...

Customize font-size