Type keyword(s) to search

House Hunters International - General Discussion

• Start Topic

13 minutes ago, javajeanelaine said:

Yeah, I thought they were fine.  Plus, not disrespectful of each other which is always a plus.

I didn't mind them either.  Not an obsessive emphasis on the dog and there were no snotty put downs.  They seemed a bit tentative with each other but apparently haven't spent much time together.  Long distance romances are tough.

• Love 2
On ‎03‎/‎19‎/‎2019 at 3:54 PM, Ohwell said:

I know folks love Richard, but I cannot stand his beard/mustache combo because it makes his lips look weird.  I cannot stand to look at his mouth.  The Crawley husband had the same thing going on but his lips didn't look as bad.

I enjoy Richard, but I hate the beard.  I wish he would shave it off.

• Love 7

CT to Budapest

Kind of strange places, what with things like the closet and refrigerator being located down the hall/in the hall. Another refrigerator was set into a brick wall while the bed in the second bedroom of the same place was surrounded by three walls with maybe two inches to spare on the side. Surprised at the asking prices for these places. Not impressed.

This home buyer identified every room correctly. "So this is the living room....so this is the kitchen...." I'm sure her friend was happy for the help.

Edited by mojito

The larger closet room being located in a dodfeeent part of the apartment isn’t that uncommon in these type of buildings and the idea is that is additonal storage closet and you do wardrobes and dressers in your room which that room was more than big enough to handle.

She was completely ridiculous about the fact that she couldn’t take a shower at the same time as someone used the toilet was particularly ridiculous even if it had been a one bathroom because all of the places she looked at would have had that same issue.

• Love 2

Cartagena: Mr. Not Ricky Gervais annoyed the crap out of me. Obviously he thinks he is more amusing than he actually was. I did like his attitude about visitors staying at a hotel though. I liked the first place best. The place they picked with the awesome views was cool too. Hated that the spare bedroom was already junked up.

• LOL 2
  • Love 1
5 hours ago, LittleIggy said:

Cartagena: Mr. Not Ricky Gervais annoyed the crap out of me. Obviously he thinks he is more amusing than he actually was. I did like his attitude about visitors staying at a hotel though. I liked the first place best. The place they picked with the awesome views was cool too. Hated that the spare bedroom was already junked up.

His picture is in the dictionary under 'horse's a**' I think.  I do agree that having space for guests is not a priority.  For that matter, if I was friends and family to this guy, spending my visit cooped up in an apartment with King Douche would not be my idea of a vacation..  I liked the wife and felt a little sorry for her, then again, she married him.  I noticed at the end that she pointed out that she was supporting both of them, too.  Not surprised.

• LOL 1
  • Love 5

What did the Cartagena couple do for a living? I heard her say she worked remotely. Did he do anything? What had they done in Vietnam for the previous two years? I should have paid more attention, but just had it on in the background and I was trying to recover from the derpy Chicago mama's boy on the regular House Hunters.

• Love 2

What did the Cartagena couple do for a living? 

He's an online trainer, I believe a work out trainer. When you go to the gym, you call him, then  sweep your phone around the weight room and he can tell you what to do. Or you can call him when you go to the kitchen and show him the contents of your fridge, and he'll tell you what to cook. Or maybe you just stand in front of your laptop and do jumping jacks with him. 😏

• LOL 9
  • Love 1
16 hours ago, LittleIggy said:

I did like his attitude about visitors staying at a hotel though. 

It always amazes me when people are willing to go over their budgets just so they have an extra bedroom for visitors. I'd be willing to bet most of them don't have anyone staying with them more than a couple of weeks a year.

• Love 4

Most international places are so small that I'd want the second bedroom just for ME, to get some breathing room.   I feel like I must be some kind of introverted mutant that doesn't want to live right on top of someone else in a shoe box with nowhere else to go, and I would tell visitors to stay in a hotel!

I wish more people would just say they can use the extra bedroom for space, storage, whatever instead of the constant expectations of hordes of visitors.

• Love 15

Since I'm Colombian, but have never been there, I enjoyed the Cartagena episode. Beautiful place, didn't realize it was so close to the water! The husband annoyed me and was it me, or did he seem not so straight? I did like his comment about having guests stay in the hotel, I'm the same way. I also loved that hammock on the porch, but had no idea why they would need 3 pools in one building (especially since they all seemed to be the same size/type and were right next to each other).

2 minutes ago, tvrox said:

I also loved that hammock on the porch, but had no idea why they would need 3 pools in one building (especially since they all seemed to be the same size/type and were right next to each other).

I always wonder with any pool scenes - do the HHI directors shoo everyone away for the filming?  You never see a living soul in any pool they film.  I bet the reason they need 3 is that they are swamped most of the time - when I saw the daily temp was 88 year round I almost had heat stroke.

• Love 7

Vancouver to Berlin. Did not like the wife at all. She complained a lot. The rooms were too small, not enough storage, no backyard space for the dog. She jabbed back at her husband, when he said he could be studying while she prepped dinner--- Can't YOU prep dinner? Omg. She was a pain. If she had a German passport, could she not have gotten a job? 

• Love 5
1 hour ago, Pickles said:

Vancouver to Berlin. Did not like the wife at all. She complained a lot. The rooms were too small, not enough storage, no backyard space for the dog. She jabbed back at her husband, when he said he could be studying while she prepped dinner--- Can't YOU prep dinner? Omg. She was a pain. If she had a German passport, could she not have gotten a job? 

Ugh, I hated her too.  That patio surface could be made dog friendly with some floor covering (I was thinking those interlocking foam tiles you see in playrooms). She needs to get a job and quit wasting money on coffee shop coffee. The wife seemed more concerned about herself and the dog than the husband.

• Love 6
7 hours ago, LittleIggy said:

Ugh, I hated her too.  That patio surface could be made dog friendly with some floor covering (I was thinking those interlocking foam tiles you see in playrooms). She needs to get a job and quit wasting money on coffee shop coffee. The wife seemed more concerned about herself and the dog than the husband.

Absolutely.  She could've even covered it with bamboo mats or a small indoor/outdoor carpet which would've made it easier for her and her husband if they wanted to go out there barefoot, too.  She was tiresome, taking all the credit for the move to Germany since she was able to claim citizenship, but then whining and complaining about not having everything she wanted.  She was also master of the eyeroll and the pouty face.  I think TPTB didn't like her very much either since they kept showing the edited clip of them making the decision which made it look like she was having a meltdown over getting an apartment close to his job when she was really much more reasonable when the whole thing was shown.  Still, she did herself no favors with her overall attitude.

9 hours ago, Pickles said:

She said she was going to look for a job but it could take a while to find one.  I don't think we heard her speak German in any of the lead-ins; if she doesn't, her options will be limited for sure.

Edited by doodlebug
  • Love 3
5 minutes ago, doodlebug said:

I don't think we heard her speak German in any of the lead-ins; if she doesn't, her options will be limited for sure.

Probably true in some situations but most Germans speak English in the business world.

1 hour ago, TVForever said:

Is it really possible to get German citizenship just because your grandparent is a German citizen? She didn't mention her parents, so I'm assuming they're not.

If they were Jewish and lost their citizenship do to the holocaust than possibly.

• Useful 1
39 minutes ago, biakbiak said:
1 hour ago, TVForever said:

Is it really possible to get German citizenship just because your grandparent is a German citizen? She didn't mention her parents, so I'm assuming they're not.

If they were Jewish and lost their citizenship do to the holocaust than possibly.

Well, his last name was Crowe, but I suppose she might be Jewish. My grandparents were German, though not Jewish (well, just a tiny %), but I did research dual citizenship a while back, and was disappointed to find that unlike some other European countries, you can only qualify if your actual parents were German citizens. 

Did they say what her profession was? Since she doesn't speak German, I don't understand what kind of job she could get there. Also, she was extremely unlikeable 🙄

• Love 3
14 hours ago, LittleIggy said:

Ugh, I hated her too.  That patio surface could be made dog friendly with some floor covering (I was thinking those interlocking foam tiles you see in playrooms). 

The dog relief area at the Flamingo Hotel in Las Vegas has astro-turf on it. I was there when I guy had his dog out and was lamenting, "After all these years of telling him not to pee on the carpet, now I'm telling him to pee on the carpet."

• LOL 3

According to the German visa website:

You get the German citizenship by descent if your parents register you to theGerman authorities in the country you are born before you turn one year old. ... In addition, you cannot claim German citizenship through any other ancestors except your parents, including German citizenship through grandparents.

So there is something fishy here.

• Love 2
Just now, Kohola3 said:

According to the German visa website:

You get the German citizenship by descent if your parents register you to theGerman authorities in the country you are born before you turn one year old. ... In addition, you cannot claim German citizenship through any other ancestors except your parents, including German citizenship through grandparents.

So there is something fishy here.

There is a specific exception for Jews and their descendants who lost their citizenship do to losing it because of the Nazi government.

• Useful 2
On 3/21/2019 at 11:11 PM, Pickles said:

I had no problem with her not wanting to prep dinner all the time. Especially if she's coming off of a year or two working two jobs AND doing all the domestic work.

Latest Simpsons calls out HHI.

Milhouse:  On House Hunters International, they always choose the house that she wants.

Nelson:  He’s right.  The wife always gets the beach view but it’s always the longer commute for the husband.

• LOL 9
  • Love 3
3 minutes ago, pep4 said:

Wait a minute, Adrian lives in Nice, not Paris?

I mean, I guess I would, too, but this stills seems like a major revelation.

That was a surprise to me too!

She probably also has an apartment in Paris.

Her sweet Texas friend's singing voice sounded like someone stepped on a cat.  I missed the opening scenes.  He better just find a regular day job, lol.

• LOL 1
  • Love 14

Adrian has a rental and condo sales business in Paris, last time I looked at her newsletter. I’d have a place in Nice, too, though. I’ll have to catch the replay for the opening. She was being a friend talking him out of the pricey place. Oh, c’mon, he had his apartment, Adrian likely has the listing on #3.

I hope he enjoys his stay, while it lasts.

• Love 2

The Nice dude could not have been more cliched if he tried. Also, dude most of the hot dudes you want ogle aren’t going to give you a second glance so don’t dismiss your neighbors because they aren’t hot enough for you.

• Love 8
8 hours ago, Bronx Babe said:

Her sweet Texas friend's singing voice sounded like someone stepped on a cat.  I missed the opening scenes.  He better just find a regular day job, lol.

"Stepped on a cat" is right.  I loved how Adrian just smiled and tried to keep it together while he was "singing." 

• Love 6
42 minutes ago, Ohwell said:

"Stepped on a cat" is right.  I loved how Adrian just smiled and tried to keep it together while he was "singing." 

And the patrons in the bar were being so polite.  That was awful.   Not sure if he picked a different genre if his voice would have sounded better. 

He also wanted 2.5 people in the shower not sure 2 people are fitting in his bed.   I was shocked apartments were so reasonable in Nice.

• Love 8
3 hours ago, Ohwell said:

Gotta love Adrian!  She's apparently very loyal to her friends/clients.

• Love 5

Texas to Nice:

"I want to live where the hottest people are." Ugh, he lost me right there.

I do hope he has a backup plan because I doubt his "singing" career is going to support buying croissants let alone pay the rent.

• LOL 8
  • Love 6
20 hours ago, biakbiak said:

The Nice dude could not have been more cliched if he tried. Also, dude most of the hot dudes you want ogle aren’t going to give you a second glance so don’t dismiss your neighbors because they aren’t hot enough for you.

Seriously. I was like “Dude, I get it. You’re gay. Nothing particularly novel about that.” 🙄

• Love 6

I wonder if his father is ever going to actually move. That apartment is going to take a long time renovate, it cut off so I didn’t hear the estimated timeline of the architect but I imagine it will go over and his dad is 88! 

I forgot to mention that I really hope he saves that gorgeous marble sink in the kitchen.

Edited by biakbiak
  • Love 3

Atlanta to Valencia

I wish HHI had revisited him after his renovation; I would've liked to see that.

I wonder if his friend has moved in yet. She sure was acting coy when he asked her if she was coming to visit or move in.

• Love 5
24 minutes ago, Ohwell said:

Valencia guy's friend sure acted like she wanted to move in with him.  Heck, for all we know she probably has, along with his father.

I doubt that apartment is close to be habitable yet. 

• Love 3
10 hours ago, biakbiak said:

I doubt that apartment is close to be habitable yet. 

We don't know how long ago this was filmed, or how far along the renovations have gone.  My point was that she might have wanted to move in with him, no matter when the reno is complete.  

Edited by Ohwell
  • Love 1

Tulum

My goodness, the guns on the house hunter's friend. Beats flab, but....

Pretty level-headed lady who seems to play her financial cards right. I think she chose the right place.

• Love 1
On 3/26/2019 at 12:00 AM, Bronx Babe said:

That was a surprise to me too!

She probably also has an apartment in Paris.

I'm guessing she has both. I was wondering if they were actually friends or it was just scripted because they never mentioned how they met. Anyhow it was an entertaining episode for sure.

• Love 1
On 3/27/2019 at 3:02 AM, biakbiak said:

I wonder if his father is ever going to actually move. That apartment is going to take a long time renovate, it cut off so I didn’t hear the estimated timeline of the architect but I imagine it will go over and his dad is 88! 

I forgot to mention that I really hope he saves that gorgeous marble sink in the kitchen.

I was first thinking that he wasn't going to be able to stay on budget with the renovations and was probably better off with the renovated apartment only $10,000 over I think? But he did say he did get a bit more under the asking price, but they never said what was the final price he paid so I wondered if he was able to renovate it under budget. Yeah I was wondering how that was going to work considering that his dad would have to wait until the place was renovated to be able to move there. And where was the home owner living during the renovations?

On 3/26/2019 at 3:02 PM, Kenzie said:

Texas to Nice:

"I want to live where the hottest people are." Ugh, he lost me right there.

I do hope he has a backup plan because I doubt his "singing" career is going to support buying croissants let alone pay the rent.

Yeah, I couldn't see him making it work either.

On 3/27/2019 at 9:51 PM, Ohwell said:

Valencia guy's friend sure acted like she wanted to move in with him.  Heck, for all we know she probably has, along with his father.

I was trying to figure out what was the story with the Valencia's guy's friend. They never mentioned she was a girlfriend but she was acting like she was, so I didn't get her story. She was being awfully pushy for being just a friend then.

• Love 1
19 minutes ago, mojito said:

Tulum

My goodness, the guns on the house hunter's friend. Beats flab, but....

Pretty level-headed lady who seems to play her financial cards right. I think she chose the right place.

I thought that was a good place considering the location and it was good for vacations and rental potential, although I was surprised that anyone would want to stay there during the construction, but maybe they got a good deal considering that and it made it worth it to deal with the construction.