Type keyword(s) to search

House Hunters International - General Discussion

• Start Topic

I wanted to bitch slap the Brisbane couple: her for the neverending dog bullshit (shut the fuck up about the dog already!), and him for being such a whiny, useless excuse of a man. However, I did agree with him about not choosing an apartment based on a nonexistent pet.

• Love 1

The Ohio couple moving to London. She was very off putting to me. Confident to the point of smug superiority. I would have gone with the over budget third property, but gasp, they would have had to give up their cleaning lady to pay the extra $200 a month for the third place. I didn’t like the husband much either. Didn’t want any stairs. He’s early thirties. WTH. Tasting clotted cream—what’s this cream stuff? It’s not sweet like our whipped cream. Okay, go back to Ohio to your reddi whip and your ranch house. 

• LOL 1
  • Love 9
3 hours ago, Pickles said:

would have gone with the over budget third property, but gasp, they would have had to give up their cleaning lady to pay the extra $200 a month for the third place. I

Given its location and how it was styled I bet that place is an Air BNB and not actually available to rent monthly at that price.

I missed the beginning so didn’t hear any mention of needing a cleaning lady but if they work a lot it can be money well spent. 

I didn’t have a problem with them. Even is “critique” of clotted cream wasn’t bad, he just said it could be sweeter which gasp several of my British family and friends would agree with and sprinkle sugar on top.

I would not like my guests to have to go to the bathroom in what amounted to my bedroom closet. There was a door in the kitchen that was never opened and it made me wonder if there was an unmentioned bathroom or at least powder room behind it.

Edited by biakbiak
  • Love 4
12 hours ago, SmithW6079 said:

I wanted to bitch slap the Brisbane couple: her for the neverending dog bullshit (shut the fuck up about the dog already!), and him for being such a whiny, useless excuse of a man. However, I did agree with him about not choosing an apartment based on a nonexistent pet.

Yet another couple where one made the "extreme sacrifice" to follow their partner and therefore hold it over their head when choosing a place to live.  She left her good job, friends, family, etc., etc., etc. for him and for that reason she had to have a dog. Wah wah wah.  A dog they didn't have yet but that would dictate where they lived.  Personally I would not want someone to come with me to another country if they were going to continue to throw it in my face and insist on their way because of it.  I see that getting old really fast.

And the dog they got was just a little large for that small apartment they ended up with.  I had to laugh at the last scene where the guy is sitting at the computer with noise canceling headphones on and she is in the background trying to control the large, frisky dog.

• Love 3

Ohio to London

Two of a kind, I think. Not surprised that they want space apart. If they hadn't been together for 10 years, I'd wonder if they could last. But I guess being alpha types works for them. They are definitely very individualistic.

Is Richard a shrimp, or what? He doesn't even look like he could reach the gas pedal. And how about that spread in the park?

richard.png.b9ba31045dcdd3db83aa54f402be4812.png

spread.png

• Love 5

Are there really people who bring pillows with them on picnics?

I don’t get the thrill out of eating outdoors.  Heat, humidity, bugs, etc.  Give me comfy chairs, proper lighting and climate control.

Edited by Mittengirl
  • LOL 1
  • Love 12

I usually complain how the house hunters are such nitpickers but in the London episode I saw something that would be a deal breaker for me -those showers in the closet.  Rather funny that that's the flat they chose since she complained in the first flat about the bathroom being too small and simply wouldn't do for guests.  But it's okay for your guests to shower in a closet?  And I think that toilet in a closet in their bedroom was the only toilet - or at least the only one they talked about.

I thought the apartment they chose was the worst of the three.  I thought the first flat with the gorgeous patio the best.  I'd break my neck running up to the bathroom on those spiral stairs in the third flat.

• Love 4
On 2/11/2019 at 1:42 PM, proserpina65 said:

There is no job perfect enough for me to move somewhere with that much winter.  But I did like the apartment she chose.

I agree. I'm not a winter person either. But I think it was a good choice based on the setup and the location.

On 2/11/2019 at 11:58 PM, LittleIggy said:

Merida: Wonder How much that reno is going to cost. I would like to see how it turns out. The doggie was adorbs.

That one was hard to watch with the way those bathrooms looked in that last one. However, I hope she does have the money to reno.

On 2/9/2019 at 9:42 AM, blueray said:

I just recently saw an episode with a couple moving from Canada to Australia. Anyhow, the guy was moving for school. He just seemed like a jerk, even the realtor didn't like him. He didn't seem to understand that his girl-friend was moving for him and was going to be the bread-winner for a time. He kept wanting stuff outside their budget.

I thought he was being too difficult too considering his situation.

On 2/12/2019 at 12:00 AM, pep4 said:

Denver, Minneapolis, Vienna to Sweden:  I knew they'd choose Mr. Roper's building.

LOL. I don't know if I'd want to move to an apartment with my friend and her boyfriend I didn't know. Glad it worked out though.

On 2/12/2019 at 9:12 AM, ML89 said:

That ending was sad. She really looked like she was psyching herself up to keep going - she should have gone for the first place that was finished but over budget. Put some down and then rent out the other room. The other two places were money pits. I'm betting she won't be there in another year.

I wonder if she knew what she was getting into. I felt bad for her but that was a tough show to watch. I didn't even watch it the whole way through to be honest.

• Love 2
On 2/12/2019 at 9:16 PM, javajeanelaine said:

I know it's all fake but doesn't anyone research the real estate before pulling up stakes and moving??

Maybe that's one of the things the producers have them do, not be knowledgable about the area they are moving to?

On 2/13/2019 at 11:08 PM, Pickles said:

The Ohio couple moving to London. She was very off putting to me. Confident to the point of smug superiority. I would have gone with the over budget third property, but gasp, they would have had to give up their cleaning lady to pay the extra $200 a month for the third place. I didn’t like the husband much either. Didn’t want any stairs. He’s early thirties. WTH. Tasting clotted cream—what’s this cream stuff? It’s not sweet like our whipped cream. Okay, go back to Ohio to your reddi whip and your ranch house. 

They were a bit annoying with him not wanting to climb stairs and her being too concerned about the cleaning lady. That shower situation seemed annoying to me, but maybe they got used to it quickly.

On 2/13/2019 at 11:08 PM, Pickles said:

LOL about the Ohio and reddi whip quote and also I liked the third place best but if budget was an issue, one would have worked too.

• Love 1
18 minutes ago, abbyzenn said:

I usually complain how the house hunters are such nitpickers but in the London episode I saw something that would be a deal breaker for me -those showers in the closet.  Rather funny that that's the flat they chose since she complained in the first flat about the bathroom being too small and simply wouldn't do for guests.  But it's okay for your guests to shower in a closet?  And I think that toilet in a closet in their bedroom was the only toilet - or at least the only one they talked about.

I thought the apartment they chose was the worst of the three.  I thought the first flat with the gorgeous patio the best.  I'd break my neck running up to the bathroom on those spiral stairs in the third flat.

That shower situation would get old really fast and I wouldn't want guests to have to shower in that situation.  I agree the 1st apartment was the best one.

• Love 1
On ‎02‎/‎13‎/‎2019 at 7:41 PM, Homily said:

When we got relocated to the UK for my husband's job my parents offered to take our cat.  I didn't hesitate to take them up on that!  I think re-homing her was a better choice than having her go into quarantine for IIRC 6 months.  Choosing not to take a promotion and have the chance to live in England wasn't really on the table!

It's not 6 months anymore if you have proof of rabies vaccinations, but for a short-term relocation, leaving them with family is better than moving them.  That's what I did with my cat when I did a semester in London.

• Love 1
On ‎02‎/‎14‎/‎2019 at 2:37 AM, biakbiak said:

I would not like my guests to have to go to the bathroom in what amounted to my bedroom closet. There was a door in the kitchen that was never opened and it made me wonder if there was an unmentioned bathroom or at least powder room behind it.

The 'bathrooms' in that place were incredibly strange.  I would've chosen the first place, although I did like the mews house.

36 minutes ago, Booklady1017 said:

Maybe that's one of the things the producers have them do, not be knowledgable about the area they are moving to?

Except that they have already moved there, sometimes a year or more ago.  The places they are viewing but don't chose are just places picked out to fill in the time.

• Love 1
6 minutes ago, Kohola3 said:

Except that they have already moved there, sometimes a year or more ago.  The places they are viewing but don't chose are just places picked out to fill in the time.

And yet, they act like they just got there and know nothing about the city.  That's what Booklady was referring to, the pretense that they're new to the area.

• Love 2
13 minutes ago, Kohola3 said:

Yes as Proserpina said, I think they are doing it as a pretense. I couldn't imagine either that they wouldn't really know about the area at that point.

41 minutes ago, proserpina65 said:

The 'bathrooms' in that place were incredibly strange.  I would've chosen the first place, although I did like the mews house.

I agree. I do like the mews house a lot too. My sister lived in a place like that in that neighborhood and they are great, but I wonder if it was worth it to spend the extra money.

• Love 1
45 minutes ago, proserpina65 said:

It's not 6 months anymore if you have proof of rabies vaccinations, but for a short-term relocation, leaving them with family is better than moving them.  That's what I did with my cat when I did a semester in London.

Right, my sister just moved to London and her cat's rabies vaccinations were off, so I think they had to wait 3 weeks before they could go.  Maybe also they were in the same situation and couldn't leave at that time with the cats?

1 hour ago, Kohola3 said:

I wonder sometimes if they see the decoy places and think about moving. That one in Frankfurt where the woman had to shower in the damn kitchen springs to mind. I know exactly my spiel to my "agent" - "I want an American style bathroom and I want a washing machine and dryer in the apartment or I'll go for the apartment building, but that's a deal breaker. I couldn't care less about outdoor space, space for entertaining, or an oven. Oh, or room for people to visit. I'll put them up in a hotel. Also does it have Internet service?"

• Love 1
1 hour ago, ML89 said:

I wonder sometimes if they see the decoy places and think about moving.

I think of that, too, especially when the one they are living is awful.  "Damn, I could have had a really cool place instead of this dump".

• Love 6
On 2/15/2019 at 12:13 PM, abbyzenn said:

And the shower in the guest room wasn't even in a closet--it was just sitting there looking like a shower.  At least the one in their bedroom was behind a door.

I wondered how many of their guests would be tempted to pee in the shower in their room instead of tip-toeing through their hosts' bedroom while they're sleeping, to use the john in there, and probably wake them up when they flush?  Or before that, depending on what they're doing in the bathroom.  Yikes.

But that brought up something I don't understand--when it's a deal-breaker that the only access to an outside area is through their bedroom.  Am I just weird in that there's nothing sitting out in my bedroom that I would be horrified for people to see?  If I had guests coming over, I'd make my bed, but even if they just dropped in and I hadn't, what's the big deal? 

• Love 6
8 hours ago, buttersister said:

(Had they moved all that furniture out during filming?)

That's what we've heard.   Most of them (if not all) have been living in the "winner" for quite some time.  They agree to move out the furniture to make the search seem real.  Recent tip offs for the final selection have been a big piano and a pool table.  Too big to move, I guess.

• Love 1

Couple moving to Mexico. I always ask myself, why in the world would you leave the US and move to Mexico? It did not sound like they had a stockpile of money to keep them going. Wanted to only spend $500 a month on rent. She didn't want to work. Sounded like she wanted to try and make money off of a travel blog. Good luck. It looked very depressing to me there. They also talked about how hot it was in Florida. How hot is Mexico?

• Love 2
2 hours ago, Pickles said:

Couple moving to Mexico. I always ask myself, why in the world would you leave the US and move to Mexico? It did not sound like they had a stockpile of money to keep them going. Wanted to only spend $500 a month on rent. She didn't want to work. Sounded like she wanted to try and make money off of a travel blog. Good luck. It looked very depressing to me there. They also talked about how hot it was in Florida. How hot is Mexico?

The town in this episode looked pretty shabby, so cost of living is probably lower.  Although you have to wonder if the HHI's have factored in medical/emergency care, municipal services and crime. If you're young, healthy and lucky, it might work out, although recently, there's been an invasion of murderous cartels into the Cancun/Playa resort areas, so even upper crust places aren't really safe. 

The northern half of Mexico is mostly desert/Mediterranean climate, so would be an improvement over the humid/sub tropical climate of FLA, imo.

• Love 1

Ugly Americans in Rome buying a place for their little darling to live while she went to school. The mom was horrible. "I'm from New Jersey, I know dead bodies!" What the hell was that? They seemed like they were putting a lot of it on for the cameras but it was certainly a bad look.

• Love 3

I missed the very beginning, but was the place in Rome just for the daughter and (potential) roommate? I couldn't understand why the mom was making such a big deal out of the kitchen, since the daughter didn't really seem to care. Were the parents also planning on using it or something?

The place they picked was nice, but way over budget. And really, $460K just for school housing? Maybe the real estate market is hot enough now to make them believe they can sell at a profit in 4 years, but that's quite a risk.

The son definitely got ALL the looks in that family.

(I agree, this thread needs to go back where it was).

• Love 1

Why was this form moved? It's a direct spin off of house-hunters.

41 minutes ago, sempervivum said:

I missed the very beginning, but was the place in Rome just for the daughter and (potential) roommate? I couldn't understand why the mom was making such a big deal out of the kitchen, since the daughter didn't really seem to care. Were the parents also planning on using it or something?

The place they picked was nice, but way over budget. And really, $460K just for school housing? Maybe the real estate market is hot enough now to make them believe they can sell at a profit in 4 years, but that's quite a risk.

The son definitely got ALL the looks in that family.

(I agree, this thread needs to go back where it was).

I saw the beginning but fell asleep somewhere during house 2. But the family planning on visiting her a lot.

• Love 1

WTF? HHI under the umbrella of "other reality shows?" 

New Jersey to Rome:

The family had Italian roots and thought that they'd kill two birds with one stone by buying a place the daughter can use now and they can use in the future.

I liked the outdoor space of the first place, which was "shared". It was the parking lot!

The daughter commenting on a 40-minute commute says, "I sound like a brat". Nah, you were okay, but thanks for being aware of that.

I thought the parents had some unrealistic expectations, but they were a nice bunch.

• Love 7
1 hour ago, jcbrown said:

Ugly Americans in Rome buying a place for their little darling to live while she went to school. The mom was horrible. "I'm from New Jersey, I know dead bodies!" What the hell was that? They seemed like they were putting a lot of it on for the cameras but it was certainly a bad look.

This family was a lot. The son seemed to be the only one who was somewhat low key. The others were way over the top. They were definitely obsessed with Rome. The Italian heritage, I guess. I looked up the daughter. Looks like she is a photography major or just really into photography.

• Love 2
9 hours ago, Pickles said:

They need to move this back. All of the House Hunter shows need to be together. This is annoying.

I sent a message to one of the mods requesting it be moved back. Go to "Staff" and send a message, Maybe if enough of us complain, they'll move it back. The move makes no sense whatsoever.

24 minutes ago, chessiegal said:

I sent a message to one of the mods requesting it be moved back. Go to "Staff" and send a message, Maybe if enough of us complain, they'll move it back. The move makes no sense whatsoever.

I did that and the moderator wrote back and said to go to Bugs, Questions and Suggestions forum and ask there, so I did. No response yet. 

2 hours ago, Pickles said:

I did that and the moderator wrote back and said to go to Bugs, Questions and Suggestions forum and ask there, so I did. No response yet. 

I got the same response. I don’t know why the board mod couldn’t have cut the middleman and just told us.

1 hour ago, Pickles said:

Budapest episode. Husband says, "Me and Bri are adventurous ". Ughh. Grammar, people!

Hope he doesn’t get one of those ubiquitous jobs teaching English. 😆

Okay, shoot me, but I liked the flat with the wild wallpaper and the pink couch! I do understand not wanting the little boy’s bedroom upstairs.

• Love 1

I didn't like Buda guy and it wasn't just because of the bad grammar.  I hate it when people flop on sofas and beds when they're looking at properties.  He just gave me a meathead vibe. 

I missed the first few minutes so I didn't get what the wife's job was and why the move to Budapest.  I did hear references to living in San Francisco so the job must pay well.  

10 hours ago, LittleIggy said:

Okay, shoot me, but I liked the flat with the wild wallpaper and the pink couch! I do understand not wanting the little boy’s bedroom upstairs.

I'm with you- I though it was gorgeous. Budapest is now one of my favorite cities-that-i'll-never-visit (sigh), thanks to HHI.

The husband said he had been a garbageman!? In San Francisco, that probably means 6 figures, but still. 

• Love 2