Type keyword(s) to search

House Hunters International - General Discussion

• Start Topic

55 minutes ago, pep4 said:

Jax-Croatia looked May-December, or am I off?

Not at all! He looked old enough to be her dad. 

1 hour ago, Kohola3 said:

Florida to Croatia - I was incensed to think that a physician would own a bunch of tanning salons.  Shame on him!  I couldn't even enjoy the episode thinking of the clients with skin cancer because of him.  Ugh.

He worked for Doctors Without Borders. That didn’t necessarily mean he was a physician. He could have been an orderly or a driver. Doesn’t mean I like tanning salons. I wonder how he will be able to run the business successfully from Croatia.

The view was amazing at the place they picked. Except for the tiny fridge what was wrong with the kitchen.

Real estate agent was cute! 

• Love 5
8 hours ago, LittleIggy said:

He worked for Doctors Without Borders. That didn’t necessarily mean he was a physician. He could have been an orderly or a driver.

True, I never thought of that. HH is always trying to pull that crap.

Definitely a May-December thing.  The wife was cute and there wasn't a ton of stupid arguing so overall it wasn't a bad episode.

• Love 2
10 hours ago, Kohola3 said:

Florida to Croatia - I was incensed to think that a physician would own a bunch of tanning salons.  Shame on him!  I couldn't even enjoy the episode thinking of the clients with skin cancer because of him.  Ugh.

Was he a physician? I was confused about all that. And he said something about running the business remotely? I would guess he would need some sort of manager at home too, to take care of certain things. I was confused at first what he was doing about the business. 

9 hours ago, pep4 said:

He did look a lot older than her.

He worked for Doctors Without Borders. That didn’t necessarily mean he was a physician. He could have been an orderly or a driver. Doesn’t mean I like tanning salons. I wonder how he will be able to run the business successfully from Croatia.

The view was amazing at the place they picked. Except for the tiny fridge what was wrong with the kitchen.

Florida to Croatia-I didn’t get the big deal about the kitchen except for the refrigerator and it being closed off. Was that her problem with it? Otherwise it wasn’t bad. I was also confused if they had a car or not. It doesn’t look like they have a lot of public transportation, so in that case I could see him wanting to be city center if they didn’t have a car. They didn’t make that clear.

The real estate agent was cute, agreed!

• Love 2

Jacksonville to Croatia

I was impressed with how the wife didn't spot danger for the kids lurking everywhere. I think she once commented on the kids handling a staircase, but that was about it. No worries about the loft or the pool. She did put off the jumping from the rocks for a while. I thought the kitchen had limited counter space and though functional, looked kind of patched together with odd elements.

I thought the real estate agent and the wife made an attractive couple.

Edited by mojito
  • Love 4
3 minutes ago, mojito said:

Jacksonville to Croatia

I was impressed at how the wife didn't spot danger for the kids lurking everywhere. I think she once commented on the kids handling a staircase, but that was about it. No worries about the loft or the pool. She did put off the jumping from the rocks for a while. I thought the kitchen had limited counter space and though functional, looked kind of patched together with odd elements.

That’s true. I thought the wife was concerned at first about things that were less important and as concerned about the things you mentioned.

Was the Cabo episode new or old? I don’t recall.

Given the pictures they showed and his age at the time of the war which is when he said he was with Doctors Without Borders I assumed he was security not a doctor.

I love Croatia so always get enjoy HH set there. 

• Love 2
11 minutes ago, biakbiak said:

Given the pictures they showed and his age at the time of the war which is when he said he was with Doctors Without Borders I assumed he was security not a doctor.

I must have missed seeing his age but as I recall he looked pretty young.  Since that war was 15 or so years ago, he certainly has aged!  I'm not the best judge of ages but I though he looked like he was in his 50's.

• Love 1
5 minutes ago, Kohola3 said:

Since that war was 15 or so years ago, he certainly has aged!  I'm not the best judge of ages but I though he looked like he was in his 50's.

The war started in 1991 he mentioned he was with Doctors Without Borders in 1992 so 26 years not 15.

Edited by biakbiak
  • Love 2
6 hours ago, Booklady1017 said:

That’s true. I thought the wife was concerned at first about things that were less important and as concerned about the things you mentioned.

Was the Cabo episode new or old? I don’t recall.

The Cabo episode was new, I believe. They made the wife sound ridiculous saying that she could do so much creatively  with the first condo with white walls and white tile floors but there was nothing to work with in the second condo with white walls and white tile floors! 🙄

• Love 4
16 hours ago, pep4 said:

Definitely. Was wondering if she was his second or trophy wife.  He wasn't a bad looking guy in the 90s when he emigrated from Croatia.  The view was amazing from the 2nd place, in the city, but I liked the first house the best, even though it wasn't in the city center or had water views.  How far was the beach, did they mention?  And I came here specifically to mention how cute I though the realtor was. LOL!

Edited by ECM1231
  • Love 2
19 hours ago, LittleIggy said:

Yeah the real estate agent was very cute!

• Love 2
15 hours ago, mojito said:

Jacksonville to Croatia

Oh yes, that Croatian agent was hotness. An Eastern European Jon Snow. And I absolutely thought the same thing: the wife and agent would make a great-looking couple. She has perfect teeth and her hair is great for her face. Seemed like a generally likable couple, though.

The London couple was actually nice too. I cracked up at them working on their imperfect English accents. Richard is looking even more Woolly Willy than usual - is he fully and completely bald on top or does he impeccably shave every day?

• Love 5
57 minutes ago, LittleIggy said:

Had the wife never had a dog before? They are perfectly capable of negotiating stairs.

Or she knows her dog. I have no idea if it’s a golden doodle thing but my parents dog who is one would not like those stairs particularly at night which is what she specified. I know a few other dogs who also don’t like stairs. 

• Love 3

I like London Richard but I think his beard is off-putting and makes his lips just look nasty.   

8 hours ago, Dewey Decimate said:

An Eastern European Jon Snow.

That's a pretty accurate description of him.

• Love 1
20 hours ago, LittleIggy said:

The Cabo episode was new, I believe. They made the wife sound ridiculous saying that she could do so much creatively  with the first condo with white walls and white tile floors but there was nothing to work with in the second condo with white walls and white tile floors! 🙄

LittleIggy, that bothered me too about the wife in the Cabo episode. I thought some paint and some Mexican furnishings would definitely make it more to her liking.

• Love 1
11 hours ago, biakbiak said:

Or she knows her dog. I have no idea if it’s a golden doodle thing but my parents dog who is one would not like those stairs particularly at night which is what she specified. I know a few other dogs who also don’t like stairs. 

I had a little Italian Greyhound who could scoot up and down stairs with no problem.

• Love 1

Jax to Croatia - I live here and I couldn't tell you the biggest chain of tanning salons. I also had to laugh at the "busy pace" comment - I believe it's more that his main businesses seemed to be at Jacksonville Beach and his house somewhere in St Johns County, which is a hell of a commute.

• Love 2
1 hour ago, LittleIggy said:

I had a little Italian Greyhound who could scoot up and down stairs with no problem.

I wasn’t suggesting all dogs can’t handle stairs merely that the woman probably knows her dog and that there are dogs who don’t like or don’t navigate stairs either for a variety of reasons and react on a variety of ways. 

• Love 7
3 hours ago, biakbiak said:

I wasn’t suggesting all dogs can’t handle stairs merely that the woman probably knows her dog and that there are dogs who don’t like or don’t navigate stairs either for a variety of reasons and react on a variety of ways. 

Much like people 😉!!

• Love 3
21 hours ago, LittleIggy said:

DC to London: Richard! I still want the “Richard and Adrian Show.” Be a nice change from all those flipping shows.

Had the wife never had a dog before? They are perfectly capable of negotiating stairs.

I love Richard and Adrian! I’d watch that. 

London: I was wondering too if she was being too cautious about the dog too. I thought they picked a good apartment for them. 

21 hours ago, Dewey Decimate said:

Oh yes, that Croatian agent was hotness. An Eastern European Jon Snow. And I absolutely thought the same thing: the wife and agent would make a great-looking couple. She has perfect teeth and her hair is great for her face. Seemed like a generally likable couple, though.

The London couple was actually nice too. I cracked up at them working on their imperfect English accents. Richard is looking even more Woolly Willy than usual - is he fully and completely bald on top or does he impeccably shave every day?

I like the London couple a lot too. They were nice and a lot of fun!

• Love 4
18 hours ago, biakbiak said:

I've got 2 dogs who are otherwise pretty agile, but they tend to slip and slide when doing uncarpeted stairs.  I have hardwood floors in the house, but put carpet tread thingies on the stairs because, otherwise, the dogs tumble down a lot.  The stairs at that house appeared to be very steep and winding and, of course, not carpeted.  I could see my dogs slipping and falling on them and, if I was looking at that place as a potential rental, I would have to take that under serious consideration.

• Love 3
21 hours ago, doodlebug said:

I've got 2 dogs who are otherwise pretty agile, but they tend to slip and slide when doing uncarpeted stairs.  I have hardwood floors in the house, but put carpet tread thingies on the stairs because, otherwise, the dogs tumble down a lot.  The stairs at that house appeared to be very steep and winding and, of course, not carpeted.  I could see my dogs slipping and falling on them and, if I was looking at that place as a potential rental, I would have to take that under serious consideration.

I had a lab that started to slip on our stairs also that were not carpeted. You can really get hurt. Some dogs never do well, some have issues later in life. There are also issues when wet and if it snows vs dry. I don't know about snow there but wet stairs will be common. ; )

If you needed an issue, that one wasn't too bad. You sound caring. The woman who did a youtube about her time in England on the show, felt bad it had to be an appliance she didn't care about.  "But I NEED my dishwasher" lol

Edited by debraran
  • Love 1

I just have to bitch about the assholes in grad school in Scotland.  Dogs are not fur babies.  They are pack animals who bark and destroy other people’s property.   They are cunning and time consuming.  The first mistake was getting tied down by demanding animals while your young and not property owners.  The second was dragging your mutts to a country who doesn’t treat pack animals like children.  If I were the man, who didn’t seem as involved in the “furbabies”, I’d dump her whining ass the first time she dragged a big stinking dog into my bed. 

• Love 2

Slovenia: Guess Junior’s books aren’t selling very well if his parents pay half his rent. Boy, he needs to cut the umbilical cord. Don’t be holding your breath for grandkids, Mom. I did like the place they picked. The view was killer.

• Love 11

Slovenia Boy.  Mom was looking for a nice girl for him. I don't think she needs to waste her time for more than one reason.

The place with the sauna - is that a thing in Slovenia?  I can see it in the northern climes but I never associated it with that area of the world.

Edited by Kohola3
  • Love 6

Don’t be holding your breath for grandkids, Mom. 

Mom was looking for a nice girl for him. I don't think she needs to waste her time for more than one reason.

Uh-huh. I was trying to veer away from the thought, thinking that he might just be an awkward, nerdy young man, but then he would talk again and....there it was again. Mom, you said he could be a monk, and he was quite satisfied with that single bed. For now, just accept that much. Baby steps. 

The parents were very pleasant and at least Mom acknowledged that she might be a little possessive of her baby boy. This might be a good experience for him to be away from his parents, at least most of the time. 

I'm glad they chose the house the son liked best. I give him credit for sticking to the budget because I've a feeling that his parents might've been okay with a 60-40 split of the rent if he preferred one of the more expensive places. 

• Love 3
52 minutes ago, LittleIggy said:

Dad said Mom and Junior would be in any apartment they picked more than him, so I don’t think Junior will be alone too often.

This made me laugh! Where did the parents live?

• Love 2
52 minutes ago, LittleIggy said:

Dad said Mom and Junior would be in any apartment they picked more than him, so I don’t think Junior will be alone too often.

It sounded like Junior would be there full time, Mom would be coming for long visits and Dad would be staying here and there. I got the impression that Dad was still working back in California and would only be out there when he had time off.

Just now, Pickles said:

This made me laugh! Where did the parents live?

West Covina, California

• Love 3
17 hours ago, LittleIggy said:

Guess Junior’s books aren’t selling very well if his parents pay half his rent.

Apparently they are available for free on Amazon.

I love Slovenia, it’s so beautiful so was pleased to see an episode and makes me want to go visit again. 

The parents get more action than the son so I don’t think they are crimping his style.

• Love 3

Dublin episode. This couple did not seem like they went together. She was insisting on three bedrooms for all of their visitors. Crazy. They had a high budget. $4500. Went up to $5100 for the three bedrooms. He must be making a ton of money.

• Love 7
8 minutes ago, Pickles said:

I think the Dublin couple is still engaged. Not married yet. 

I wonder if they ever will get married! The way she kept saying how awful it was to give up her job to move with him, and rolling her eyes at his budget concerns. Then him telling how it bugs him that she spends money before “getting permission”. They seem like a miserable couple!

• Love 10
6 hours ago, biakbiak said:

I clicked on this link and then clicked on the author link....https://www.amazon.com/Andrew-Anzur-Clement/e/B071RRWN6B/ref=dp_byline_cont_ebooks_1if you click on the link to his blog, he writes about being on HHI.... It seems he is selling books to the ScFi and young adult and teen reading group...definitely not my cup of tea but each to his own! In his biography, it states he moved to Europe(he did say he lived in Brussels) and has been there for several years.  Haven't finished the episode yet so I will have to watch to see what apartment they choose.

Edited by suebee12
  • Love 2

Only 2/3 of the way through the Dublin episode, and this lady really is on my last nerve (sorry about the cliche').  She hasn't cracked a smile yet, has no tolerance for the guy, and doesn't seem to have any tolerance for his wishes.  That frustrated scowl of hers is blood-curdling.  There are a lot more cheerful women out there, guy.  Think about it.

Interesting to see Dublin though, as always  

• Love 6
22 hours ago, mojito said:

Uh-huh. I was trying to veer away from the thought, thinking that he might just be an awkward, nerdy young man, but then he would talk again and....there it was again. Mom, you said he could be a monk, and he was quite satisfied with that single bed. For now, just accept that much. Baby steps. 

The parents were very pleasant and at least Mom acknowledged that she might be a little possessive of her baby boy. This might be a good experience for him to be away from his parents, at least most of the time. 

I'm glad they chose the house the son liked best. I give him credit for sticking to the budget because I've a feeling that his parents might've been okay with a 60-40 split of the rent if he preferred one of the more expensive places. 

I get the impression the son may be on the spectrum? I’m not sure or if he’s just socially awkward.

• Love 5
On 1/8/2019 at 11:54 PM, LittleIggy said:

Slovenia: Guess Junior’s books aren’t selling very well if his parents pay half his rent. Boy, he needs to cut the umbilical cord. Don’t be holding your breath for grandkids, Mom. I did like the place they picked. The view was killer.

That place did have a great view and was a great place overall for them.

On 1/9/2019 at 8:26 AM, Kohola3 said:

Slovenia Boy.  Mom was looking for a nice girl for him. I don't think she needs to waste her time for more than one reason.

The place with the sauna - is that a thing in Slovenia?  I can see it in the northern climes but I never associated it with that area of the world.

Yeah, I feel bad saying this but I don’t think he’ll find anyone soon.

22 hours ago, mojito said:

Yeah the mom was definitely a little possessive of the boy. I get the impression though that the parents, mother at least, will be at the son’s apartment more than they are letting on.

18 hours ago, doodlebug said:

It sounded like Junior would be there full time, Mom would be coming for long visits and Dad would be staying here and there. I got the impression that Dad was still working back in California and would only be out there when he had time off.

West Covina, California

18 hours ago, doodlebug said:

West Covina, California

Yes I got the same impression too Doodlebug.

15 hours ago, biakbiak said:

I love Slovenia, it’s so beautiful so was pleased to see an episode and makes me want to go visit again. 

The parents get more action than the son so I don’t think they are crimping his style.

Slovenia was beautiful and charming!

Edited by Booklady1017
  • Love 2
9 hours ago, suebee12 said:

I clicked on this link and then clicked on the author link....https://www.amazon.com/Andrew-Anzur-Clement/e/B071RRWN6B/ref=dp_byline_cont_ebooks_1if you click on the link to his blog, he writes about being on HHI.

"Raised by the Slavic branch of his family..." - I bet he wrote that little bio himself.  The Slavic branch of his family is his mom, for heaven sake, not some group of wandering Slavic gypsies.  Rather melodramatic prose, there, dude.

6 hours ago, Chippings said:

She hasn't cracked a smile yet, has no tolerance for the guy, and doesn't seem to have any tolerance for his wishes.  That frustrated scowl of hers is blood-curdling. 

Instant dislike to that one - what a witch.  He's looking at a lifetime of pain from that one especially with her bludgeoning him over the head with "giving up my career" guilt trip. She is going to be punishing him by spending every dime he earns.

• Love 8
10 hours ago, Pickles said:

Dublin episode. This couple did not seem like they went together. She was insisting on three bedrooms for all of their visitors. Crazy. They had a high budget. $4500. Went up to $5100 for the three bedrooms. He must be making a ton of money.

I don’t get the whole 3 bedroom thing. The real estate agent is right, people aren’t all going to visit at one time. I can also tell she was high maintenance by the way she was complaining about certain things in the apartment and her attitude towards the budget.

10 hours ago, lgprimes said:

Wow! Watching the couple moving from Minneapolis to Dublin. Newlyweds but they already talk  like they hate each other!

I don’t see them being together.

10 hours ago, Pickles said:

I think the Dublin couple is still engaged. Not married yet. 

They did say they were married but later on in the show. It wasn’t clear at first.

7 hours ago, Chippings said:

Only 2/3 of the way through the Dublin episode, and this lady really is on my last nerve (sorry about the cliche').  She hasn't cracked a smile yet, has no tolerance for the guy, and doesn't seem to have any tolerance for his wishes.  That frustrated scowl of hers is blood-curdling.  There are a lot more cheerful women out there, guy.  Think about it.

Interesting to see Dublin though, as always  

Yeah she doesn’t seem pleasant to be with at all.

46 minutes ago, Kohola3 said:

"Raised by the Slavic branch of his family..." - I bet he wrote that little bio himself.  The Slavic branch of his family is his mom, for heaven sake, not some group of wandering Slavic gypsies.  Rather melodramatic prose, there, dude.

Instant dislike to that one - what a witch.  He's looking at a lifetime of pain from that one especially with her bludgeoning him over the head with "giving up my career" guilt trip. She is going to be punishing him by spending every dime he earns.

I agree about your opinion on the woman in the Dublin episode. 

• Love 5

Because of my schedule, I often end up reading the comments on episodes before I get to watch them. So I was reading the comments on the MN to Dublin ep thinking that something about this woman has set everyone off. Well, I just watched the episode, and ...wow. She really did not come off well. 

The realtor was right-two people and an ADORABLE little dog do not need 3 bedrooms for daily living. Even though the husband irked me a little

with his constant talk of the budget, he was right about the 2 bedroom in the city being a nice compromise. The 3 bedroom they chose was really nice too, just more than it seemed they needed, especially to be so far over budget. But like they say, "Happy Wife, Happy Life", and if an extra 600 a month was what it took to keep that Princess happy (especially since she Sacrificed. So. Much. to be dragged across the world for his job), you spend what you gotta, buddy.

• Love 7