Type keyword(s) to search

House Hunters International - General Discussion

• Start Topic

31 minutes ago, sempervivum said:

Morocco- well, I guess hubby won this one, at least he got a nice kitchen. But neither one got the location they wanted; and, yeah, if they're going to base their choice heavily on whether the old lady can get around in it, why not just move to Spain? At 83, she's not likely to be traveling for much longer, then what? 

I don't understand what kind of 'studio' the wife needed. That 'compromise' room they ended up with looked like she just had a regular office with a computer. I assumed she wanted to paint or something. 

I kept wondering why they expected the 83 year old mother to come and visit THEM and not vice versa.  If she's got problems with stairs, hauling through an airport lugging a carryon isn't going to be easy for her, either. 

I think the wife was some kind of graphic artist since their business was advertising.  Still, I couldn't see how she was going to be inspired working in a converted closet.  She had complained about not having enough light to work in one of the places they looked at, surely a closet wasn't going to be any better.

I found the husband annoying with his insistence on getting a place that was turn key but, yet, had a huge chef's kitchen.  It was pretty clear that large, state of the art, kitchens are not common in Morocco.  And, yet, Moroccans seem to manage just fine when it comes to making meals.    He was lucky they found a brand new place that had an American style kitchen.

• Love 3
3 hours ago, Pickles said:

Morocco did not look appealing to me. I would have been moving to Spain to be closer to the mother.

Yeah, I would have moved to Spain, but maybe it was a cost of living thing/taxes that prevented them from moving there.

• Love 2
5 hours ago, mojito said:

Morocco

What a nice, pleasant, low-keyed couple. With some of these house hunter couples, it seems like someone is usually trying to present himself as some sort of unique, artistic, or quirky person. Or someone is particularly demanding or fussy. These two were of similar temperaments.

That's all I got.

But that's plenty. It was refreshing to see a couple that seemed natural and likable for a change.

• Love 4
5 hours ago, laredhead said:

I had an attack of claustrophobia in the first house.  No windows, and the HH's kept saying it was dark.  The TV lights always make the interiors much brighter and more appealing.  What about fresh air in those places.  An interior courtyard doesn't provide for cross breezes.  I need to investigate the climate there.  I also wondered why they didn't move to Spain.  Tax situation?  Cost of living?  

Me too.

Many homes in Muslim countries have small, high windows to "protect" their women from the outside. No view, no air, no light, would soon make me loony.

• Love 5
2 hours ago, Kenzie said:

Me too.

Many homes in Muslim countries have small, high windows to "protect" their women from the outside. No view, no air, no light, would soon make me loony.

The first house was in the Medina which is the densely packed old walled part of the city and most of that area was designed by a French architect.

I love Essaouira my friend’s family has a vacation home their were thy would escape to when Marrakech got too hot in the summers. Nothing better than picking out fish from one of the fisherman’s stalls and them having them cook it right their on the beach. Yummy.

I would have definitely gone with one of the houses in Essaouira proper than the “suburbs” that have sprouted up in the last few years which were where the other top houses were.

Edited by biakbiak
  • Love 4
17 minutes ago, buttersister said:

Cambodia. Didn’t believe for one minute she’d rather have a bigger kitchen than a washing machine.  Missed the first half, were they on an extended vacation or did someone think they were getting a job?

They said they wanted the adventure of living in Cambodia.  They claimed that there was a huge demand for English teachers in Cambodia but the jobs required that they already be living there before they could even apply for them.  His previous ‘career’was skateboarding which was apparently unsuccessful .  She went with him to Cambodia because she had nothing in Canada to ‘tie her down’, so I think she was unemployed.  There was no mention of any particular training, skills or interests that she had.

Edited by doodlebug
  • Love 7
1 hour ago, buttersister said:

Cambodia. Didn’t believe for one minute she’d rather have a bigger kitchen than a washing machine.  Missed the first half, were they on an extended vacation or did someone think they were getting a job?

They were off for adventure and English teaching jobs (surprise!). Since they were young, white and cute, I’m not surprised they got jobs. They were shocked to find out that Cambodia is hot and humid. 🙄

52 minutes ago, doodlebug said:

They said they wanted the adventure of living in Cambodia.  They claimed that there was a huge demand for English teachers in Cambodia but the jobs required that they already be living there before they could even apply for them.  His previous ‘career’was skateboarding which was apparently unsuccessful .  She went with him to Cambodia because she had nothing in Canada to ‘tie her down’, so I think she was unemployed.  There was no mention of any particular training, skills or interests that she had.

They didn’t have to live there before they could apply for a job. Someone probably told them to just come down on a tourist visa and look for a job. Since China has tightened up on requirements for teaching English, places like Cambodia, Vietnam and Thailand are the new hot spots.

Edited by LittleIggy
  • Love 6
7 hours ago, buttersister said:

My husband and I decided she left him as soon as they were done filming and moved back to Canada. I didn't by for a second that she would have stayed at any of the houses. Of course they probably were just actors.

• Love 10

This whole "teaching English" always has me scratching my  head.   They don't speak of the native language so how exactly do they teach?  Point to objects and say it in English (car, butter, dog)?  The students can't ask questions since the teacher doesn't understand them.  How do they explain grammar?  Spelling?  Syntax?

• Love 13
2 hours ago, Kohola3 said:

This whole "teaching English" always has me scratching my  head.   They don't speak of the native language so how exactly do they teach?  Point to objects and say it in English (car, butter, dog)?  The students can't ask questions since the teacher doesn't understand them.  How do they explain grammar?  Spelling?  Syntax?

I've wondered about that myself.  

• Love 4
1 hour ago, Ohwell said:

I've wondered about that myself.  

I think a lot of these programs, especially in the developing world, use a computerized lesson system, kind of like Rosetta Stone, only cheaper.  The students sit in front of the screen while the ‘teacher’ hangs out to handle any program glitches, correct pronunciation, etc.  It’s a cheap way to ‘teach’ English to the masses and that’s why they don’t need actual educational training.

• Love 5

They don't speak of the native language so how exactly do they teach?  

ESL teachers manage, and many with students with multiple native languages. The kids just get immersed in the language. 

I shook my head when the guy stated twice that something was "very Cambodian". I'm sure he'd say the same thing about just about anything that he was unfamiliar with. I kept thinking that he really should have made this trip alone. He was entirely too excited about eating on the floor, something which, I believe, is still legal in Canada.

• Love 10
2 minutes ago, mojito said:

ESL teachers manage, and many with students with multiple native languages. The kids just get immersed in the language. 

But that's a bit different in that the students are "immersed" because they actually live here.  Where is will they hear English in Cambodia except in the classroom where they have no access to any kind of help.  Just makes no sense to me.

• Love 5
On ‎12‎/‎07‎/‎2018 at 7:22 PM, Tony said:

Edinburgh: I turned it off as soon as she said "this has been my dreams for a while so I make the rules." What a self-centered asshat.

The boyfriend should ditch her asap so she could chase her dreams - alone.

Interestingly, she actually chose the flat he wanted because it was the most practical.  So in the end, she didn't make the rules.

On ‎12‎/‎08‎/‎2018 at 9:00 PM, SmithW6079 said:

He was pretty unsure throughout the whole thing, so I think she's the first woman whoever said yes to sleeping with him, so he let his dick make the decisions. 

I'm fairly sure the whole "moving with her after dating for 2 weeks" storyline was fake.  A lot of things on this show are.

I loved the first flat, with the view of the castle.  To me, that would've been worth $150 extra in rent, but they did chose the most practical place for them.

• Love 4
On ‎12‎/‎12‎/‎2018 at 12:27 PM, doodlebug said:

And, yet, Moroccans seem to manage just fine when it comes to making meals.    He was lucky they found a brand new place that had an American style kitchen.

That always bugs me about HHI - it's rather insulting to walk into a typical Moroccan (or wherever) kitchen and proclaim "I can't cook in this horrible space".

On ‎12‎/‎12‎/‎2018 at 9:38 AM, laredhead said:

I had an attack of claustrophobia in the first house.  No windows, and the HH's kept saying it was dark.  The TV lights always make the interiors much brighter and more appealing.  What about fresh air in those places.  An interior courtyard doesn't provide for cross breezes.  I need to investigate the climate there.  I also wondered why they didn't move to Spain.  Tax situation?  Cost of living?  

The light wouldn't bother me.  I like my spaces darker.  Air circulation might be more of an issue, although thousands of Moroccans manage to live in houses just like that one in the medina so there's probably a solution for it.

• Love 2
19 hours ago, biakbiak said:

I would have definitely gone with one of the houses in Essaouira proper than the “suburbs” that have sprouted up in the last few years which were where the other top houses were.

Me too, although if you had a car, and the money, that house by the beach could be made into something really stunning.

4 hours ago, Kohola3 said:

I have a friend who spent more than a year teaching English in South Korea - she didn't speak one word of Korean before she went there.  It's a total immersion system, and yes, a lot of point at pictures in the beginning.  Edited to note that a lot of her students were the children of corporate employees, so they did hear English at home as well.

Edited by proserpina65
  • Love 5

I didn't see the Cambodia episode but regarding the issue of English teachers.  My brother (who was a teacher in the US for 10 years) was in the peace corps in Thailand where he taught Thai teachers how to teach English.  He ended up staying for about 5 more years teaching at a university and married a Cambodian (she was living in Thailand).   This is from about 5 years ago but they went to Cambodia while waiting to get her a visa to come to the US (they were only engaged at the time).  He found that there were few paying jobs in Cambodia for teaching English because there were so many relief organizations with volunteers who teach English.  The few paying jobs the salary was very very low.  Only the jobs at International Schools pay much and for those you have to be a qualified teacher in math, science, English, etc at the secondary level or a primary school teacher.

• Love 9
19 hours ago, puppytoes said:

The Canadian girl needs to dump skater boy and go back home to Vancouver.

I was saying that the whole episode. Not only because that was a weird situation overall and the apartments were terrible (how did someone schlep a fridge up those stairs in that third place???) but also because he, his man bun, his skateboard, eating on the floor, and wanting to live "grungy" and "very Cambodian" were on my last nerve. If you looked up hipster tool, he'd be the illustration.

That said, that communal house...so my upstairs neighbors just wander through my apartment as well as theirs? Yeah, no.

Edited by ML89
  • Love 11
34 minutes ago, ML89 said:

I was saying that the whole episode. Not only because that was a weird situation overall and the apartments were terrible (how did someone schlep a fridge up those stairs in that third place???) but also because he, his man bum, his skateboard, eating on the floor, and wanting to live "grungy" and "very Cambodian" were on my last nerve. If you looked up hipster tool, he'd be the illustration.

That said, that communal house...so my upstairs neighbors just wander through my apartment as well as theirs? Yeah, no.

I wanted to pull that nose ring out of his nose!  Most annoying couple of the mo th.

• Love 7
11 minutes ago, puppytoes said:

I wanted to pull that nose ring out of his nose!  Most annoying couple of the mo th.

I couldn't stand to look at him so I bailed halfway through the episode.  She can do better.  Much better.

• Love 4
On 12/12/2018 at 8:36 AM, Pickles said:

Morocco did not look appealing to me. I would have been moving to Spain to be closer to the mother.

I was thinking Morocco wouldn't be my choice to move to. I was thinking that too about Spain but they probably chose Morocco because it's cheaper.

On 12/12/2018 at 9:37 AM, mojito said:

Morocco

What a nice, pleasant, low-keyed couple. With some of these house hunter couples, it seems like someone is usually trying to present himself as some sort of unique, artistic, or quirky person. Or someone is particularly demanding or fussy. These two were of similar temperaments.

That's all I got.

They seemed nice enough but the wife is totally the opposite of me. I'd never want to live in a home like the first one or live in the city. 

On 12/12/2018 at 9:38 AM, laredhead said:

I hated the first house. It looked dreadful to me (Morocco).

On 12/12/2018 at 12:27 PM, doodlebug said:

I kept wondering why they expected the 83 year old mother to come and visit THEM and not vice versa.  If she's got problems with stairs, hauling through an airport lugging a carryon isn't going to be easy for her, either. 

I think the wife was some kind of graphic artist since their business was advertising.  Still, I couldn't see how she was going to be inspired working in a converted closet.  She had complained about not having enough light to work in one of the places they looked at, surely a closet wasn't going to be any better.

I found the husband annoying with his insistence on getting a place that was turn key but, yet, had a huge chef's kitchen.  It was pretty clear that large, state of the art, kitchens are not common in Morocco.  And, yet, Moroccans seem to manage just fine when it comes to making meals.    He was lucky they found a brand new place that had an American style kitchen.

Yeah if they can't afford to move to Spain I get it, but yes they should at least visit the mother, not expect her to visit them.

On 12/12/2018 at 3:01 PM, Kenzie said:

But that's plenty. It was refreshing to see a couple that seemed natural and likable for a change.

I felt out of the choices they were offered, the suburban one was the best.

On 12/13/2018 at 12:02 AM, doodlebug said:

I was trying to figure out if the girlfriend who wanted to move to Cambodia had a job before. Seems like the way they described it, she just takes selfies of herself all day.

• Love 9
On 12/13/2018 at 7:00 AM, blueray said:

My husband and I decided she left him as soon as they were done filming and moved back to Canada. I didn't by for a second that she would have stayed at any of the houses. Of course they probably were just actors.

I'm not sure if these people are actors, but I wouldn't be surprised if she moved back to Canada after the filming of the show. I couldn't see her actually living in that place they picked. For that matter, I couldn't see them together. He was so annoying, like one of those slackers, he didn't seem to have any redeeming qualities, especially since he wanted her to live in a place like the first apartment.

On 12/13/2018 at 8:06 AM, Kohola3 said:

Good question about this whole teaching English thing.

21 hours ago, puppytoes said:

The Canadian girl needs to dump skater boy and go back home to Vancouver.

Yes, I didn't see them together.

• Love 5

I don't get those nose rings anyhow.

I'm sure I'm not alone feeling discomfort just looking at things. Almost makes my eyes water in empathy pain. 

Hainaut, Belgium

Really, HHI? You're going to give us that "are they or aren't they" kind of teaser? The agent was in on it, and in the end the male friend was zipping up the female's dress. But they're just friends, we'll see, we're told. Like I care.

These two must've been among the oldest in their class in OCS; they looked at least 10 years older than the average second lieutenant. She wanted an extra bedroom to convert into a closet. One has to have a unique dress, I guess, for the two days a week when you're not in uniform. Nice, bland apartments in a pretty bland-looking location. Kind of a yawner episode. 

New York to London

Budding playwright/bearded drag queen looks for a place for himself and his pooch. He really wanted a place of his own while his friend and Richard were trying to push him towards a larger rental with a roommate situation. He was an extremely easy house hunter. Coming from NYC, he didn't turn his nose up on small spaces or small fridge. Took delight in living above ground where there is light (lived in a basement apartment in NYC) so he really appreciated any upgrade from what he had. He had good choices, but he picked the one I liked least as he would have to share a bathroom with a stranger. I liked the studio the most since it was important for him to live alone. Nevertheless, he apparently found a great roommate so all's well that ends well.

• Love 7
20 minutes ago, mojito said:

Hainaut, Belgium

Really, HHI? You're going to give us that "are they or aren't they" kind of teaser? The agent was in on it, and in the end the male friend was zipping up the female's dress. But they're just friends, we'll see, we're told. Like I care.

These two must've been among the oldest in their class in OCS; they looked at least 10 years older than the average second lieutenant. She wanted an extra bedroom to convert into a closet. One has to have a unique dress, I guess, for the two days a week when you're not in uniform. Nice, bland apartments in a pretty bland-looking location. Kind of a yawner episode. 

I got sick of the "are they or aren't they?" teasing.  It was so unnecessary, and who cares anyway? 

I also thought the apartments and location were bland-looking. 

• Love 3
1 hour ago, mojito said:

. He had good choices, but he picked the one I liked least as he would have to share a bathroom with a stranger. I liked the studio the most since it was important for him to live alone.

I think the one he chose had two bathrooms.  I thought it was the third that only had one.  I liked the studio best but I get why having a green space would be ideal with a dog. 

• Love 5

Did anyone catch what the factory in Beligum used to be? The remodel was bland but the view of the gorgeous countryside and fields from those windows were glorious but I would worry if that whatever about the area made that type of remodel make good business sense for the developers would probably mean the area would be developed soon. You could see high speed rail in one of the shots.

• Love 3

London: Richard! 😁 I liked the studio best too. I wish my studio had a washing machine in it. It has a huge walk-in closet and a big bathroom a little kitchen with almost no counterspace. I get so annoyed with HHs who bitch about counter space when there is plenty. 

• Love 4
On 12/12/2018 at 6:36 AM, Pickles said:

Morocco did not look appealing to me.

But I could look at that overhead shot of the Medina forever.  All those rooftops and tiny little squiggles that must be where people walk.

18 hours ago, mojito said:

I'm sure I'm not alone feeling discomfort just looking at things. Almost makes my eyes water in empathy pain.

Man, am I glad to hear that.  Looking at any kind of piercing makes me want to throw up, and I'm sure it brands me as an intolerant old person.  Happy I'm not the only one.

• Love 9
13 minutes ago, Mittengirl said:

When I see nose piercings all kind can think of is how nasty they must get when you have a runny nose.

I am in total agreement on that! I'm not a fan of the piercings or the tattoos - I mean, sometimes they look pretty but sometimes, you're David Bromstad and need to stop.

London - Richard! I too loved the studio but the place he got with the en suite for both wasn't bad if he was going to get a roommate - I thought the kicker was going to be his friend taking the other bedroom, not staying where he was. 

• Love 6

Philly to Sydney: Sorry to be shallow, but he was so much more attractive than her. I hated the place they picked except for the view. I’m surprised that an apartment in a high rise would not have AC. At least it was on the beach unlike the place they picked.

• Love 4
3 hours ago, LittleIggy said:

least it was on the beach unlike the place they picked.

It didn’t have a beach across the street but it had private direct access to the water which is crazy. I am shocked the place they went with has not been demolished and had a larger building built on the lot which was insane and it was cheaper and a much shorter commute than Manly.

Edited by biakbiak
  • Love 2
7 hours ago, LittleIggy said:

Philly to Sydney: Sorry to be shallow, but he was so much more attractive than her. I hated the place they picked except for the view. I’m surprised that an apartment in a high rise would not have AC. At least it was on the beach unlike the place they picked.

I was surprised too the 3rd apartment didn’t have AC either. It was updated too, so you’d think they would add AC then.

Philly to Sydney-The view saved the place from being totally atrocious. I couldn’t help think about that bathroom. I’d never take a bath there.

Edited by Booklady1017
  • Love 3
10 hours ago, LittleIggy said:

I'm not convinced they were even a couple.  They certainly didn't act like it.  They both played poker, I think he said he had a software job, but not sure what she'd be doing other than playing poker.   

• Love 3
On ‎12‎/‎15‎/‎2018 at 7:34 PM, mojito said:

He had good choices, but he picked the one I liked least as he would have to share a bathroom with a stranger.

I thought he chose the one with the smallish living area but two en suite bathrooms.  I wish he had been able to get a place by himself, because I understand about needing to be on your own, but the one he chose had parks nearby for his dog.

• Love 2

Philadelphia to Sidney

Odd couple. She looked old enough to be his mother. I didn't have a sense of any sparks flying between those two.

Character? She called that grungy old place a character home? It looked like some sort of utility substation, and that bathroom. What a dump (picture Bette Davis). She called that clean, nice-looking place hideous but not that bathroom or the whole place? I would never trust her opinion on anything.

• Love 8

Chicago to Vietnam

Geez, the guy wants Vietnamese flair in his new home. Then wants a stove and oven (agent stated that Vietnamese typically cook over a hot plate) and declares rooms too small. I liked the wife stating that bland rooms allowed them to put in their own personality. It seemed that traditional Vietnamese in his book merely meant colorful seating.

Is everyone coached not to say "not what I wanted" but to say "not what I was hoping for" instead?

• Love 1
13 hours ago, mojito said:

Philadelphia to Sidney

Odd couple. She looked old enough to be his mother. I didn't have a sense of any sparks flying between those two.

Character? She called that grungy old place a character home? It looked like some sort of utility substation, and that bathroom. What a dump (picture Bette Davis). She called that clean, nice-looking place hideous but not that bathroom or the whole place? I would never trust her opinion on anything.

I thought she WAS his mother at first glance. They both loved poker, so maybe they were primarily gambling buddies. They were an odd match for sure. 

• Love 4

The Vietnam guy.....  Why did he keep complaining about people being able to see into the windows that had curtains on them?  At one point he said "unless there are curtains" while standing in the room looking directly at the curtains on the side of the window.  

• Love 2

Chicago to Vietnam- I laughed when this fugly doofus described himself as 'administrator and manager' of the house, ie, a house husband. What was the attraction here to his very cute long-suffering wife? 

He thought he could get the landlord to cough up a stove for him in the 'authentic' place? Maybe he could get the landlord to cough up a real 2 bedroom place that his poor wife wouldn't have to struggle up 4 flights of stairs to get to after a long day at work!

• Love 7
51 minutes ago, sempervivum said:

Chicago to Vietnam- I laughed when this fugly doofus described himself as 'administrator and manager' of the house, ie, a house husband. What was the attraction here to his very cute long-suffering wife? 

He thought he could get the landlord to cough up a stove for him in the 'authentic' place? Maybe he could get the landlord to cough up a real 2 bedroom place that his poor wife wouldn't have to struggle up 4 flights of stairs to get to after a long day at work!

And expecting their preteen daughter to sleep in a loft with virtually no privacy?  Yeah, sure.  He wanted an 'authentic' Vietnamese dwelling place, but only if he wasn't the one who'd have to deal with the inconvenient things.  As long as he had a Western style kitchen, his kid could sleep on a mattress in the open in the living room, his wife could navigate four flights of stairs twice a day.  The apartment he supposedly liked didn't seem all that authentic to me; just not as new and well maintained as the others.

3 hours ago, mojito said:

Chicago to Vietnam

Geez, the guy wants Vietnamese flair in his new home. Then wants a stove and oven (agent stated that Vietnamese typically cook over a hot plate) and declares rooms too small. I liked the wife stating that bland rooms allowed them to put in their own personality. It seemed that traditional Vietnamese in his book merely meant colorful seating.

Is everyone coached not to say "not what I wanted" but to say "not what I was hoping for" instead?

Well, sometimes they say, 'it's not what I was looking for' for variety.  You are correct, though, they are obviously tightly scripted and everyone is given the same catch phrases to use over and over again, so it comes across as stilted and unnatural.

• Love 5