Type keyword(s) to search

Season 4

• Start Topic

7 hours ago, lulu1960 said:

Oh yes. I remember those pictures well. My little icon is from that same shoot. (I may have them still saved on my computer.)

Ah, the ghost-faced Lorelai. I always wondered why they didn't fix that. She looks like she's wearing stage makeup.

9 hours ago, junienmomo said:

After the HotLuke PR pictures and the crazy good sexual tension in S1, they had to tone him down when they realized they wanted to put off the LL pairing as late as possible. It wouldn't make sense for a hot guy to be seen with Lorelai every single day while she chose the Maxes and the Jasons of the world to date. (and we know how much the writers prized making logical choices)

Add Jess to that in Season 2 and that would be a winning combination, rivaling the hotness of the GG.

Here's a PR pic to prod your memory. 

hotluke standinggilmore-girls-10.jpg

7 hours ago, lulu1960 said:

Oh yes. I remember those pictures well. My little icon is from that same shoot. (I may have them still saved on my computer.)

Funnily, both that Scott photo and the picture you are using as your icon were unreleased promos.

The Hobbit, the Sofa and Digger Stiles

Lorelai shows up at Rory's dorm on her first day of classes. She's carrying gifts that she chose to decorate Rory's room, essentially doing the same thing that Emily did by decorating the common room. Rory's clearly happy with both, but Lorelai gets bent out of shape. Oddly I actually respect Emily for trying to teach Rory about getting the upper hand in knowing how to handle politically-charged social situations. Weirdly, Rory later only dislikes the furniture when Lorelai pushes her about it.

Paris does the same social-coaching thing with opening the door at the party. Lorelai backs her up. Now that I think about it, buying the food the first night was exactly the same thing. Lorelai essentially threw a party for Rory's first night, showing her how to make friends.

Honestly, how dense did Rory have to be to not figure any of this out? She ended the year with no new friends whatsoever. 

Sookie is looking all kinds of gorgeous in this episode. Sadly, it's also the beginning of her decline, since she proposes the catering company and the show immediately goes to Planet WTF.

I kind of like the fact that Richard is starting a relationship with Digger, yet is so naive that he doesn't think that Floyd will outsmart him yet again. Floyd is the same guy who pushed him into retirement. Richard SO fell for Digger's flattery. Why, why, why didn't Richard and Rory listen to Emily? She was absolutely right with her advice.Non sequitur - why is there a fruit gift basket in the common room?

I actually liked Marty this episode. Quite possibly the last time I liked him.

Possible nitpick - Rory has no keys when she walks into the Hartford house. Did she leave the keys in her car?

This was a Luke-less and townie-less episode. I missed them. The show was not as good as it is with them. 

• Love 1

I don't know about the fruit basket, but one thing that irks me about all of Rory's college common room scenes is that there are always fresh flowers.  Uh, that is not a thing that college kids have in their dorm rooms on a regular basis. Although I did smile to see a bookcase with food on it in the background at one point - that one rings true for certain.

• Love 1

I'm so happy to be on season four in our rewatch.  It is my absolute favorite for reasons already mentioned in this thread.  And, also mentioned, it really had to grow on me....but boy, grow on me it did.  

Ballrooms and Biscotti - has that happy "they're back!" vibe that the season openers have (until later seasons, I guess).  Funny I get that vibe even though I discovered the show on DVD and never had to wait all summer for its return.  Stationary store?   Beauty Supply store?  This show really does make you long for the simpler, pre big box store times sometimes, doesn't it?  Love Babette in the opening scene.   Love Luke and Lorelai in this episode....nice vibe between them in their first scene in the diner (with the fake jam) and later on Lorelai's porch.  Yes, the Emily stuff is frustrating.  But what  a delightfully funny and random thing to collect....videotaped ballroom dancing competitions....lol.

The Lorelais' First Day at Yale - I adore Rory's freshman year at Yale...so I like the intro to it here.  I know some find her freshman year dull, but I think that's what I like about it....very realistic.  And I find her roommate situation very funny and true to life.  I shared a suite very similar in layout and man it stinks when someone keeps different hours than you and isn't quiet about it.   

The Hobbit.... - love the introduction of Janet.  "She jogs."  "Nuff said."   The Sookie stuff was sort of over the top, wasn't it?  I'm fanwanking that her anxiety made her subconsciously sabotage the menu since we all know she could have done better choosing kid friendly foods.  

Chicken or Beef - LOVE this episode!  Love Rory's haircut, the alarm system, her weekend at home just seemed so right....  Michel's work situation and his reaction to it,  Lorelai's Taylor problem, the town meeting, Lorelai's dirty mustache rant and Luke's reaction....all delightful, IMO.  

The Fundamental Things Apply - love Rory's bad date and her failed attempt at asking the laundry room guy out....ouch!  Being a big fan of the roomie humor in S4, I loved the roommate meeting.  Of course, Lorelai and Luke are great.  But the wardrobe is the real star of this episode as discussed up thread!  As frustrating as Lorelai's inability to trust Natalie is, I so was nodding my head when she said she just can't let anything get back to her mom that could be used as a weapon against her.  Wow...get out of my head and my life, Lorelai!  

• Love 5

I think the Chicken or Beef rant that Lorelai did to Luke is one of my all time faves but even more so is Luke's reaction to it. 

LORELAI: It's dirty, that's what business is. It's smoke-filled back rooms with exposed pipes and shady players chewing on fat cigars and twirling their dirty mustaches. And when you go into those rooms, you can't be a milquetoast muppet. You have to have pointy teeth and jaws that snap. The meek shall not inherit the earth!

LUKE: Thanks for the perspective.

LORELAI: Do you have any coffee?

LUKE: I'm not giving you coffee.

LORELAI: I don't have time for coffee. I gotta go find Taylor and close this deal. You think he's back at the store?

LUKE: Or having his dirty mustache cleaned.

LOL. Earlier in the rant he even said, "You probably should get some rest."

• Love 8

Chicken or Beef

Cute idea for Rory to enjoy her breakfast in the gazebo. Weird that they never did that during the first four years. Nitpick: Rory jumps up and leaves her whole breakfast behind. 

Looks like Dean's invitation to the wedding is the last hurrah before angry bitter Dean takes the stage. 

Love the fate rant. Luke is SO right. It's also clear that Lorelai is simply teasing him on this one. That unspoken acknowledgement that they are flirting/teasing/kidding is one thing that makes their relationship special.

Weird. In the cease and desist letter, Taylor refers to the very pregnant, very married Sookie as Miss St. James.

Rory ordered "chocolate chocolate chocolate" ice cream after looking at the menu, but I couldn't find it there. 

The Dragonfly has ten rooms. Given two owners, a day and night manager, 5 kitchen staff, two cleaners, horse care, gardners, I wonder if ten rooms and a small restaurant can support so many.

Nitpick (I am so nitpicky today): one fords a stream, not forges.

This episode ends with one of my all-time favorite Rory/Luke moments. 

First Luke comes out of Doose's trying to look all casual, but making goofy faces. He then stumbles, all nervous, through getting her to not go to the wedding. A sweet interchange between the two of them. 

Aw, the last moment of the episode with Rory regretting/feeling sad as she watches Dean's wedding is nicely done. 

21 hey rory 0404.jpg

(edited)

The ballroom dancing videos. I really love that the couple Emily shows Rory are Corky and Shirley Ballas who happen to be Mark Ballas', from Dancing with the Stars parents! 

Edited by CheeseBurgh
Grammar attack, I can't word this properly.
  • Love 3

Ballrooms and Biscotti

I spent all last season liking Emily, now she's back to her manipulation games. She was annoyed because Lorelai wasn't there but the deal was for Rory to come to Friday night dinners, not Lorelai. As was discussed upthread, Rory should have made an excuse but she's too passive and is indebted to the grandparents.

The Lorelai's First Day at Yale

This is my favourite episode of the series. Copper Boom, the big sleepover, the howling scene, the emotion between the girls being apart for the first time... I love it all. Even the mattress debacle with Lorelai messing with Luke's head doesn't bother me. 

The Hobbit, the Sofa, and Digger Stiles

Digger! Er, I mean Jason. Chris Eigeman in the credits. :)

Dorky Rory getting to class early is adorable, as is her uncomfortableness with the furniture. I like that Lorelai encourages her to socialize. This goes all the way back to the Rory's Dance episode. Lorelai supporting Rory in stepping outside her comfort zone.

Sookie gets a bad rap for the birthday party menu (rightfully so) but she is the only one who is thinking about bringing in some income. Honestly that would have been my first priority, maybe that's too realistic for this show.

Chicken or Beef

I like Rory's posh new haircut, and also the emotions on her face as she sees that Dean is now married.

Kirk watching over Lorelai in his bizarre way is sweet. Taylor is being extra annoying so far in this season. I am beginning to understand why fans don't like him.

15 hours ago, junienmomo said:

Weird. In the cease and desist letter, Taylor refers to the very pregnant, very married Sookie as Miss St. James.

Sookie refers to herself after marriage as Sookie St. James, she says so when they introduce themselves to the lawyer at Fran's funeral. I like the small feminist hints even if they get some things wrong on this show.

The Fundamental Things Apply

It's sorta cute that Rory doesn't think her mom has ever "dated". I mostly find her naivete adorable, though there are times it is stretched too far.

The previously mentioned argyle sweater and glasses combo makes an appearance. It's a great look for Lorelai, she's copying Rory's collegiate look, either consciously or not.

5 hours ago, CheeseBurgh said:

The ballroom dancing videos. I really love that the couple Emily shows Rory are Corky and Shirley Ballas who happen to be Mark Ballas', from Dancing with the Stars parents! 

Lol I was thinking that present day Emily probably loves that show. :)

• Love 2

Sookie gets a bad rap for the birthday party menu (rightfully so) but she is the only one who is thinking about bringing in some income. Honestly that would have been my first priority, maybe that's too realistic for this show.

I wonder how much money Lorelai and Sookie ended up losing on that party with the last minute food buying, and what Sookie must have spent making all that mostly useless food. 

An Affair to Remember:

Ugh, Rory sucks. Just study. The libraries aren't too quiet. Your dorm room isn't too loud. You're not entitled to a study tree.

Festival of Living Art:

Ugh, Rory sucks. God forbid a GG not get her way. Blackmail must be the solution.

Die, Jerk:

Ugh, Rory sucks. Hippopotamus? Roll of fat? I can't figure out why you're single and mostly friendless.

I still love these episodes despite Rory's propensity to suck.

Even better how it was Dole's suggestions why Rory wrote such a horrible review of the play to begin with. Then add in the fact that if someone was that bad at a Yale dance show. She would never have made it that far to begin with. Especially at the end when you saw people reacting to a disaster of a dance show. Showing once again AS-P didn't know just how competitive theatre is in Ivy League schools or how someone that was apparently unable to keep her footing would never had been admitted to the program to being with. Sorry, I'm doing this from someone who has an undergraduate in theatre. I know how those directors from professors to graduate students crack out the whips to be good. If not, there is the door.

• Love 5
16 hours ago, deaja said:

An Affair to Remember:

Ugh, Rory sucks. Just study. The libraries aren't too quiet. Your dorm room isn't too loud. You're not entitled to a study tree.

Festival of Living Art:

Ugh, Rory sucks. God forbid a GG not get her way. Blackmail must be the solution.

Die, Jerk:

Ugh, Rory sucks. Hippopotamus? Roll of fat? I can't figure out why you're single and mostly friendless.

I still love these episodes despite Rory's propensity to suck.

Are you implying Rory is...snobby and entitled? No way.

• LOL 2
  • Love 3
On 6/27/2016 at 7:58 AM, txhorns79 said:

I wonder how much money Lorelai and Sookie ended up losing on that party with the last minute food buying, and what Sookie must have spent making all that mostly useless food. 

Yeah, really. She said she made three cakes before going with that very elaborate one. I hope they at least took the food home. It's pretty bad when Lorelai is the sensible one in the partnership. 

• Love 2

Yeah, really. She said she made three cakes before going with that very elaborate one. I hope they at least took the food home. It's pretty bad when Lorelai is the sensible one in the partnership. 

I like to think there was a deleted scene where Lorelai says she and Sookie ended up losing $20,000 on the party due to Sookie's shenanigans. 

• Love 4

An Affair to Remember

Yes, Rory sucks. But this episode, Lorelai didn't. After some snarking at the food test, Lorelai ponied up and did the right thing, which was to execute on the party and be grateful for the gig. 

I was cheering for her when she actually heard what Emily was saying between the lines. I even rooted for her in spite of her going into a fancy business wearing Juicy sweats. Her rant was great, until she friggin' agreed to date Jason! A split second earlier she had no animosity for her mother and now suddenly she wants to make her mad.

I cannot fathom what kind of human being would let herself be instantaneously manipulated by Jason. She showed no sign of being attracted to him. She drove 30 minutes to Hartford angry and wanting to defend her mother. Then in a split second she had danced backwards two steps to hating her mother. 

Completely inconsistent character in less than a minute.

• Love 5
1 hour ago, junienmomo said:

I even rooted for her in spite of her going into a fancy business wearing Juicy sweats.

She was having a night in when her mom unexpectedly showed up. So that wasn't a conscious bad fashion choice, unlike her outfit to Chilton day 1.

• Love 4

An Affair to Remember

I have to laugh at the ridiculousness of the study tree. Anyone who has tried to study around loud roommates or fighting relatives would tell Rory to buy a pair of earplugs and grow up. I am glad Lorelai told Rory and Sookie to quit being such babies.

Ah, Juicy velour sweats... That takes me back.

Lorelai and Jason are adorable. I love his devious grin when he points out that Emily would hate it if Lorelai were to date him. He knows how she thinks. I really like seeing Lorelai interact with her childhood peers. Other than with Christopher, it's not something we see her do often.

The Festival of Living Art

The backstage preparations for the festival are fun to watch, except the Kirk plot seemed to go on for too long. Almost as if they were trying to fill time in the episode.

I agree with Sookie's preference for a homebirth but that midwife was scary. It was sweet that Lorelai tried to comfort Sookie during her freak out and remember having baby Rory.

I think this is a good episode to show non-fans as it does a good job of representing the town and their lovable quirks.

• Love 2

Rory going nuts over a stupid tree really gave me a rage blackout. I had to watch Raincoat and Recipes after that to remind myself that she can be likable at times (her reaction to Luke and Lorelai, not the Dean crap that I ffed). 

Was it really necessary for Sookie to make all those broccoli tarts? What a waste of food- even worse was Rory coming in all huffy that she had no place to study because those tarts were in her room. Couldn't they have been moved out of the room, or was the broccoli smell too much for her precious self to be able to study?

• LOL 1
  • Love 3
42 minutes ago, twoods said:

Rory going nuts over a stupid tree really gave me a rage blackout. I had to watch Raincoat and Recipes after that to remind myself that she can be likable at times (her reaction to Luke and Lorelai, not the Dean crap that I ffed). 

Was it really necessary for Sookie to make all those broccoli tarts? What a waste of food- even worse was Rory coming in all huffy that she had no place to study because those tarts were in her room. Couldn't they have been moved out of the room, or was the broccoli smell too much for her precious self to be able to study?

Good therapy, Twoods. The writers changed the characters so often in such arbitrary ways sometimes that it's hard to keep liking any of them. 

Yeah, the broccoli tarts were an even bigger waste than chipotle jalapeno macaroni and cheese for kids. We can only assume that Sookie was in inspiration for the food recycling businesses like ReFood. 

The Festival of Living Art

My primary theory is it's the Stars Hollow water.

Almost everyone in Stars Hollow were behaving like jerks. I liked Gil (not from SH) and loved Lorelai and thought Kirk was funny as he demonstrated why he should never be the sole proprietor of a business. 

While I have no objections in principle to midwives, I wish Jackson had rediscovered some of his fatherly protectiveness and dumped Bruce. 

Lorelai is loving and vulnerable, from hiding her budget cutting from Rory to trying not to anger Bruce to admitting she flinched. The only exception are the pointless unfunny lesbian jokes.

Andrew and Luke sucked with their OTT comments to Sookie. Luke goes further overboard with the table rebuild. For a guy who really truly never participates, much less volunteers, he's standing around watching and whining about how he's not going to help. Duh, a clear sign that he's waiting to be asked. You know, like a petulant child would behave. Then, at the end of the show, as if there wasn't character transmogrification enough, the guy who can't make a decision suddenly agrees to call off the divorce. 

My secondary theory is that it's Daniel Palladino, writer of this episode. I mean, he was the author of Vineyard Valentine, right? However, that theory fell apart when I discovered he was also the author of Dead Uncles, Donna Reed, Cinnamon's Wake and many more beloved episodes. 

So I modified my theory to schizophrenia on the part of the writers. 

Ending on a good note, I LOVED the makeup, the art, the presentation and the show itself. It was truly a beautiful GG memory. So happy they won an Emmy for the makeup. 

• Love 1

Die Jerk: Have to say I loved the Friday Night Dinner in this episode. The whole thing with the wifi and Richard walking round the house with his laptop was so funny! And I really loved the Jason/Lorelai interaction as well and her admiration for him when he got himself invited to the dinner. I just loved that whole dinner. :)

• Love 3
4 hours ago, elang4 said:

Die Jerk: Have to say I loved the Friday Night Dinner in this episode. The whole thing with the wifi and Richard walking round the house with his laptop was so funny! And I really loved the Jason/Lorelai interaction as well and her admiration for him when he got himself invited to the dinner. I just loved that whole dinner. :)

Absolutely agree.  Delightful!  And Emily and Richard complimenting Rory on her article..."your pen was your sword"....lol!  And the Jason/invitation to dinner illustrated well why Lorelai is interested in him....quick, sharp witted, manipulative in a way that won't hurt anyone.  Jason is just one of many delights in season 4.  

Found myself nodding in agreement with many of the comments on these episodes, especially Junienmomo pointing out how Lorelai was able to see past her hurt about being "fired" to see that her mom was hurting.  Yay, Lorelai!

• Love 2
(edited)
43 minutes ago, cantbeflapped said:

Absolutely agree.  Delightful!  And Emily and Richard complimenting Rory on her article..."your pen was your sword"....lol!  And the Jason/invitation to dinner illustrated well why Lorelai is interested in him....quick, sharp witted, manipulative in a way that won't hurt anyone.  Jason is just one of many delights in season 4.  

Found myself nodding in agreement with many of the comments on these episodes, especially Junienmomo pointing out how Lorelai was able to see past her hurt about being "fired" to see that her mom was hurting.  Yay, Lorelai!

And Jason subtly asking for restaurant recommendations so that he can take Lorelai out. And I love how it was only Rory who caught on what was going on. :) 

And also how Rory and Lorelai totally don't help Jason persuade Emily why the Internet is good! :p

Edited by elang4
  • Love 1

And Jason subtly asking for restaurant recommendations so that he can take Lorelai out.

I love that scene because Emily mentions a real restaurant in the Hartford area (Mill on the River) that happened to be my Great Aunt's favorite and every time I catch that episode it makes me think of her.  (For the record though, it's "romantic" like for weddings or proms, but kind of old-fashioned for a date among people Lorelai and Jason's age, even 10 years ago!)

• Love 2

I love Michel in The Nanny and the Professor. "I'm being punked; I know I'm being punked" makes me laugh, as does "Truman." Plus all the times he calls Davy "it."

And this: Baby Crepe

MICHEL: Him, dammit, him! I picked him up, but it didn't matter. He wouldn't stop crying. So finally I invented a game.

LORELAI: What kind of game?

MICHEL: I called it baby crepe.

LORELAI: I don't think I know that one.

MICHEL: Well, it's quite ingenious. You get down here on the floor and then you roll him up in a blanket and then you pull it back and forth and back and forth. He loved it. He did not cry, he smiled, he giggled. He was having the time of his life. And then. 

• Love 2
3 minutes ago, deaja said:

I love Michel in The Nanny and the Professor. "I'm being punked; I know I'm being punked" makes me laugh, as does "Truman." Plus all the times he calls Davy "it."

Haha yeah!! But I did like seeing Michel's vulnerability in that episode. It was nice to see Lorelai reassure him. :)

LORELAI: We need to lift this bed and get him up.

[Michel starts to unbutton his shirt]

LORELAI: What are you doing?

MICHEL: Taking off my shirt.

LORELAI: Uh, what part of "lift the bed and get him out" translates to you taking off your shirt?

MICHEL: This is an expensive shirt.

LORELAI: No, no, no, no, no, no. I'm not lifting the bed with a naked you.

MICHEL: I wasn't going to take off my pants.

LORELAI: Leave the shirt on.

MICHEL: It will wrinkle.

LORELAI: Not as much as it will if Sookie comes home and finds Truman under the bed.

Bahahahahahahaha

• Love 1

TV writers always seem to run into problems in season 4 or 5 when it comes time to transition their high school characters into college.

First, there is the implausibility of high school friends winding up at the same university. And then second, the same writers who made high school life compelling seem lost when trying to dramatize college life.

GG does a better job at this than did 'Buffy', for instance. Another show might have had Dean and Jess also at Yale (Jess as a fellow student, Dean working in building maintenance). At least in GG there is just Paris, though I don't buy that Rory and her high school frenemy would wind up both as freshman roommates and as co-workers for the student newspaper. Not impossible, just unlikely at an Ivy League school. It surely would have elicited comments that we never get to see : "Wait, you two knew each other in high school? Wow!"

I wonder how the show would have kept Rory and Paris interacting in the season 8 that never quite happened. First day on the job, Rory tries to arrange an interview with Obama, knocks on the door of his assistant press secretary. "Paris!" "Rory!"

In some schools you can request a specific roommate so may be why Paris and Rory were initially roomies, then they decided to do it again the following year. It helped that Rory made absolutely no friends her freshman year. No worry she hung out with the insufferable brigade and then those two annoying girls- besides Lane and Paris, Rory never had many friends. It was very sad to see.

5 hours ago, twoods said:

In some schools you can request a specific roommate so may be why Paris and Rory were initially roomies, then they decided to do it again the following year. It helped that Rory made absolutely no friends her freshman year. No worry she hung out with the insufferable brigade and then those two annoying girls- besides Lane and Paris, Rory never had many friends. It was very sad to see.

I think Paris said she arranged it because Terence said they weren't 'finished.'

Wonder what the writers were trying to say by Rory being friendless. Any ideas?

(edited)
11 hours ago, twoods said:

I think this had a lot to do with Rory and Lorelai being "best friends." She always had her mother to talk to, to run to, and to do things with, so there was never any pressure on her to make any effort herself to form relationships within her peer group. She didn't really start doing that consistently (branching out and spending time with people other than Lorelai) until she left Yale and moved into her grandparent's pool house. Although it does seem, even then, it's all about people approaching her rather than Rory initiating the potential relationship. I give Emily kudos because it does seem she, at least, recognized early on Rory needed to spread her wings and stop relying on Lorelai to fill all Rory's emotional needs and engage in activities with her during any free time away from academics.

Full disclosure: I've never liked Lorelei. At all. To the point where I am absolutely flabbergasted when I happen upon blogs written by men who sing Lorelai's praises not just because of her appearance, but also her personality. So my opinions are probably biased when it comes to anything involving her.  

BTW - I'm fairly new to the PTV GG forums. Is there a thread just for discussion of Lorelai? I can't find it if there is.

Edited by TwirlyGirly
Added boldface to the part of post to which I was replying
  • Love 3
4 minutes ago, TwirlyGirly said:

Full disclosure: I've never liked Lorelei. At all. To the point where I am absolutely flabbergasted when I happen upon blogs written by men who sing Lorelai's praises not just because of her appearance, but also her personality.

Ha ha ha, my husband says Lorelai is pretty enough but needs to learn when to shut up.  She drives him fairly crazy.  He much prefers Sookie.

There's a lot of different 'Lorelai and...' threads but I don't know for sure if there's one for just Lorelai?  If there's not you can make one.

• Love 1
(edited)
22 minutes ago, TwirlyGirly said:

Full disclosure: I've never liked Lorelei. At all. To the point where I am absolutely flabbergasted when I happen upon blogs written by men who sing Lorelai's praises not just because of her appearance, but also her personality. So my opinions are probably biased when it comes to anything involving her.  

BTW - I'm fairly new to the PTV GG forums. Is there a thread just for discussion of Lorelai? I can't find it if there is.

I totally understand when people don't like Lorelai but I love her. Her annoying babbling seems to cover her insecurities. Even her condescending comments about people don't seem to be heartfelt. An example is when she felt bad for Taylor when she heard no one voted for him so she went to the polls and asked voters to vote for him. She always felt bad if she hurt someone and tried to make it right.  She volunteered her time for the town (rummage sale,  sewing) and it seemed she just couldn't say no to anyone (no "dirty" implied ?) Her character worked for me.

Edited by FictionLover
  • Love 3
5 minutes ago, Taryn74 said:

Ha ha ha, my husband says Lorelai is pretty enough but needs to learn when to shut up.  She drives him fairly crazy.  He much prefers Sookie.

There's a lot of different 'Lorelai and...' threads but I don't know for sure if there's one for just Lorelai?  If there's not you can make one.

I'm with your husband.

They're showing roughly six GG episodes per day, weekdays, where I live (two on Freeform in the late morning, and three + on UP [depending on the day of the week] beginning in the late afternoon and continuing into the evening. I like to have the TV on in the background, and screaming at it every time Lorelai opens her mouth just isn't very satisfying anymore.

I need to vent. Badly.

LOL!!!

• Love 3

Though some universities may allow incoming freshmen to choose their roommates, Yale is not one of those universities.

But then again, GG-verse Yale is not the same school as the one that exists in our reality, so whatever.

• Love 1

I also don't think any university would allow one student to request someone and still pair them if the other person didn't also request them.

i thought them being suite mates that year would have been fine. They could have added an interesting mid series female character to be roommate.

• Love 1

I thought they got paired because Paris' dad made a call- I assume he pulled a string or made a large donation to get the exception.

Catching up with the rewatch. I am hopelessly behind.

Die, Jerk 
Rory is such a people pleaser that it's interesting to see her struggle with the fallout from her review. I don't care for Doyle but he has a point. Reviewers are supposed to give their honest opinion.

Lorelai and Jason flirting. :)) And Lorelai's pink coat makes an appearance. I love that thing, she looks so good in it.

Ted Koppel's Big Night Out

Paris' win/lose expressions are hilarious. I like the further insight we get of Richard. His college stories make him sound like he had a prankish sense of humour. And the reveal of his yearly lunches with Pennilynn showing there's more to grandpa Gilmore than first appears.

Emily continues her habit of taking her anger out on Lorelai, when she's really mad at Richard. If these were real life people I would tell them to only see each other on holidays. They have a toxic relationship

The Nanny and the Professor
Watching these episodes in blocks of 5, it's easy to miss that time has passed. Rory's been home from school, and both the Gilmores and Jason have been travelling. I expected more fallout from the blowup at the Yale game until I realized that it was a few weeks ago in the timeline of the show.

Anyway, Tobin's back! :)))

Jason's guestroom looks fabulous. I hsd to laugh at Lorelai's jealousy. She's slept with Jason one time and she expects them to be exclusive. Obviously, he does too but I thought it was funny how she thinks they are in a relationship after only two dates.  

• Love 2
On 7/2/2016 at 10:36 AM, clack said:

TV writers always seem to run into problems in season 4 or 5 when it comes time to transition their high school characters into college.

First, there is the implausibility of high school friends winding up at the same university. And then second, the same writers who made high school life compelling seem lost when trying to dramatize college life.

GG does a better job at this than did 'Buffy', for instance. Another show might have had Dean and Jess also at Yale (Jess as a fellow student, Dean working in building maintenance). At least in GG there is just Paris, though I don't buy that Rory and her high school frenemy would wind up both as freshman roommates and as co-workers for the student newspaper. Not impossible, just unlikely at an Ivy League school. It surely would have elicited comments that we never get to see : "Wait, you two knew each other in high school? Wow!

My brother ended up at an Ivy with his two best friends. They ended up rooming together and later into an apartment with another high school friend. Not that weird, especially from feeder schools.

• Love 2
On 7/4/2016 at 1:22 AM, hippielamb said:

Catching up with the rewatch. I am hopelessly behind.

Die, Jerk 
Rory is such a people pleaser that it's interesting to see her struggle with the fallout from her review. I don't care for Doyle but he has a point. Reviewers are supposed to give their honest opinion.

Lorelai and Jason flirting. :)) And Lorelai's pink coat makes an appearance. I love that thing, she looks so good in it.

Ted Koppel's Big Night Out

Paris' win/lose expressions are hilarious. I like the further insight we get of Richard. His college stories make him sound like he had a prankish sense of humour. And the reveal of his yearly lunches with Pennilynn showing there's more to grandpa Gilmore than first appears.

Emily continues her habit of taking her anger out on Lorelai, when she's really mad at Richard. If these were real life people I would tell them to only see each other on holidays. They have a toxic relationship

The Nanny and the Professor
Watching these episodes in blocks of 5, it's easy to miss that time has passed. Rory's been home from school, and both the Gilmores and Jason have been travelling. I expected more fallout from the blowup at the Yale game until I realized that it was a few weeks ago in the timeline of the show.

Anyway, Tobin's back! :)))

Jason's guestroom looks fabulous. I hsd to laugh at Lorelai's jealousy. She's slept with Jason one time and she expects them to be exclusive. Obviously, he does too but I thought it was funny how she thinks they are in a relationship after only two dates.  

Emily does often take her anger out on Lorelai, however, I find that Lorelai is the problem in this particular situation.

It hurts to be berated by someone, sure, but Emily clearly was distressed by what just happened; her husband has been lying to her for more than a decade. Emily does not yet have all of the facts and like most people reeling from this kind of shock she thinks she'd rather have not known than learn the man she loves is a cheater (he's not, but Emily doesn't know for sure yet since this revelation means Richard is not to be trusted). It doesn't justify taking it out on Lorelai, but I found Lorelai's immediate response, asking out Digger as a dig at her mother, to be lacking in empathy and especially childish given the circumstances. 

• Love 3

I also thought Lorelai was out of line at the game. The "almost mommy" jokes when it is clear it's a time for pleasantries only? Grow up, Lorelai. You don't have to be quippy at every moment. Obviously she wasn't at fault in the second conversation.

She also annoyed me on her date- not wanting to eat in the room or alone in the car and then the time card stuff. Again, grow up. She could have gotten people fired!

21 hours ago, FrumiusManxome said:

Emily does often take her anger out on Lorelai, however, I find that Lorelai is the problem in this particular situation.

It hurts to be berated by someone, sure, but Emily clearly was distressed by what just happened; her husband has been lying to her for more than a decade. Emily does not yet have all of the facts and like most people reeling from this kind of shock she thinks she'd rather have not known than learn the man she loves is a cheater (he's not, but Emily doesn't know for sure yet since this revelation means Richard is not to be trusted). It doesn't justify taking it out on Lorelai, but I found Lorelai's immediate response, asking out Digger as a dig at her mother, to be lacking in empathy and especially childish given the circumstances. 

I think it's interesting that Lorelai wanted to date Jason, we saw that in his office when they had their confrontation but she refrained because she didn't want to upset things with Emily. It's not until Emily says hurtful things to her that Lorelai goes out with Jason as a way to feel better. Season 1 Lorelai wouldn't have considered Emily's feelings before dating someone. I don't blame her a bit, and was surprised there wasn't more fallout from their fight at the Yale game. 

• Love 3

Ted Koppel

Weird or possibly not so weird foreshadowing of future scenes in this episode, some ironic.

Lorelai saying that Pennilyn Lott was her almost mommy. I wonder how hurt she would have felt if April had said the same in Season 7.

Lorelai agreeing that it was wrong for Richard to not tell Emily about his lunches, yet not feeling a need in later seasons to tell Luke about Christopher.

I thought somewhere I heard Rory saying something about it being wrong to sleep with a married man, but can't find it back.

It was bittersweet watching Lorelai see how it could have been if she'd come to the football games when she was a child. She sees, I think, that she would probably have bonded better with her father. 

Loved the cute interactions between Lorelai and Rory at the football game. Here's a picture.

Nanny and the Professor

Emily describing Jason as an immature con artist is unkind, but true. He is clearly immature, the only thing he and Lorelai have in common, and the breakup of Richard's business shows the con artist side.

I'm on Lorelai's side with not understanding why Jason didn't at least tell her about Crystal. Then I flip immediately to Jason's side on telling her parents. Also, it's another foreshadowing of Lorelai's flip-flop opinion in Season 5, where it's perfectly OK for her to see Christopher without telling Luke, a repeat of the situation in the previous episode.

I'm not minding the Asher relationship as much as I did the first time through.

I will always love the story of Luke hiring Lane, as told from the perspective of Lorelai and Rory. So funny!

409 yale cute.jpg

The tailgating in Ted Koppel is like my favorite thing ever.  I hate the Pennilyn Lott stuff, and I don't care for Lorelai and Jason's date, but the rest of the episode is hilarious and awesome.

I will always love the story of Luke hiring Lane, as told from the perspective of Lorelai and Rory.

Ha! Yes. And then, later, Luke admitting that he "blew the interview" hahahaha. That just cracks me up.

• Love 2
5 minutes ago, Taryn74 said:

The tailgating in Ted Koppel is like my favorite thing ever.  I hate the Pennilyn Lott stuff, and I don't care for Lorelai and Jason's date, but the rest of the episode is hilarious and awesome.

Ha! Yes. And then, later, Luke admitting that he "blew the interview" hahahaha. That just cracks me up.

Haha yeah! And Lorelai and Rory discussing where Luke will go next! :D

• Love 3