Type keyword(s) to search

S02.E08: Fifi

• Start Topic

Maybe this show isn't for me after all. I enjoyed Saul in BrBa, where he came off as a sleaze but not quite in the same category as some of the out-and-out villains. He was like the comic relief bad guy. Along comes BCS, and they make me like Jimmy. A lot. Even through the scams and shortcuts, I could find redeeming qualities. But this thing with the Mesa Verde documents - this is just really wrong. Unjustified. I can't find any excuse. What Chuck and Howard did wasn't nice, but it wasn't unethical that I can see. 

I guess I'm being naive, because we've seen Jimmy's dishonesty before. But this was different. It's one thing to enjoy watching a sleazy "criminal" lawyer who's never been shown to be anything but. I'm finding it much more uncomfortable to watch a likeable and often sympathetic character slide downhill. It's truly depressing - the more so in that he's got Kim involved, as well. I know it's going to end in tears, and I dread watching. 

I'll finish out this season, not sure about S3. It's not so fun any more. 

I see what you are saying. You know, it's funny how rewatches can change your view. The first time watching, I don't recall having THAT big of an issue with Jimmy tampering with the documents. But I just rewatched all episodes in anticipation for tonight, and I was a lot more put off by it than the first time around. I agree with you. Howard and Chuck were kind of assholes about Mesa Verde, but they did nothing technically wrong. Unlike Jimmy. But more than the legality of it, it was actually how it effected KIM that bothered me. 

At any rate, that is what I loved about BB in the first place, though. At first, I really liked Walt. I found him endearing and had a lot of sympathy for him. As time went by, I grew to dislike him more and more. Hated him by the end. But what's weird is, on rewatches I'll find myself sometimes disliking him less and understanding why he did things - then other times I'll hate him even MORE. It's just weird. 

I think that's what Gilligan and Gould do so well. They create these multi-faceted, interesting characters that really make you think and question things. Many of their characters do WRONG things, but for GOOD reasons. If that makes any sense. I know these shows can be too dark for some people, but I really enjoy seeing characters who aren't all black or white, good or bad. 

• Love 1