Type keyword(s) to search

S02.E04: Surprise!

• Start Topic

The surprise for me will be staying awake, not rolling my eyes, or cracking up laughing while watching.

You're better than me. I fell asleep on it. The last thing I remember was Jessa on the couch correcting Ben about something and him staring straight ahead, as not to say how he really feels. 

I'm not watching....I just can't. That said, I'm having fun picturing Nancy Daniels in front of the TV, a laptop with realtime ratings info, and a huge bottle of Tums at her side. America better fall back in love with Jessa tonight, or else TLC will have her and Ben drop a sex tape to generate interest. I predict a 1 share.

I have a feeling this would rival the Kim K/Ray J tape for the most boring piece of footage ever. 

Oh and the tree-house. Why does it need a play kitchen?? How about a reading nook. And a telescope, a magnifying glass, a globe, etc.

Imagine a quiet place to read, or looking at the stars at night, or picking a spot on the globe and pretending to be there, or 'burning' leaves with the sun and the magnifying glass. Let them imagine a life out side of the box.

Or yeesh, even a Noah's Ark theme. They could pretend there is water below them.

Because those are heathen activities, dag nabit! 

Is their friend Kristen sweet? I wasn't quite sure.

Just kidding. Every time someone mentioned her, it was 'our sweet friend Kristen.'

I swear this family and even more so this episode has made me hate the word "sweet." Sweet is this show's incarnation of Michelle's "precious."

• Love 4

I dont understand. Why would you own a place and not live in it?

I'm guessing John-David isn't allowed to live there yet because Boob is his father - and in Boob's mind, JD hasn't yet earned his freedom [he's not married]. 

• Love 9

So do you figure he is still in the dorm with the boys?  I really can't imagine it.  JD does have jobs, and not long ago photos emerged of him with a group of girls at somebody's house.  He was the driver for their touring singing group, IIRC.  It's hard to believe "kids" in excess of 25 years old don't have their own places.  Since JD has his own house, it's bizarre he doesn't stay there.  There is no real family life at the TTH that I can see.  Everybody is just screwing around doing their own thing, with no meal times or anything like a real family.  No planning for the future going on, like families tend to do.  Just a giant holding pattern there.

• Love 8

I'm not watching....I just can't. That said, I'm having fun picturing Nancy Daniels in front of the TV, a laptop with realtime ratings info, and a huge bottle of Tums at her side. America better fall back in love with Jessa tonight, or else TLC will have her and Ben drop a sex tape to generate interest. I predict a 1 share.

I couldn't watch either.  Another Duggar style baby shower.  They really are grasping at straws.

• Love 2
(edited)

I also noticed how Anna described everything about her living situation as "it's a blessing". 

Because if she says it enough, her heart will believe it.  I'm not making this stuff up!!! There is a faction out there that believes that our emotions are ruled by our heart and not our head, but if we focus on what is in our head(instead of reacting because of our emotions), what we tell ourselves over and over again, we can change our thinking, and not fall back on emotions.

Edited by OhioMom
  • Love 3

Why is it that "we" are following all the girls around and the boys are just scenery. Or trying to kill each other with heavy machinery. I guess nobody would interested in what JD is doing all day. Probably because it isn't a whole lot. Or any fun since he does strike me as someone devoid of a sense of humor.

• Love 2

I guess nobody would interested in what JD is doing all day. Probably because it isn't a whole lot. Or any fun since he does strike me as someone devoid of a sense of humor.

I know, I know, but I actually am kind of interested in what he does all day! Like, what's this constable job all about? Is he at his father's beck and call for piloting services or does he have agency? What does he do with his days? He more than any of the others interests me because he's the only one who has made even feeble overtures toward a life of his own.

• Love 9

Daddy owns the planes, so he probably is at his beck and call. After seeing the embarrassing episode where JB did a ride along with JD, I would not want to see how he handles the constable volunteer job. I still cannot understand how a law enforcement agency would allow the ride along filming. I would be hiding my face in shame to be associated with JD in any law enforcement capacity after watching the one episode.

Why is it that "we" are following all the girls around and the boys are just scenery. Or trying to kill each other with heavy machinery. I guess nobody would interested in what JD is doing all day. Probably because it isn't a whole lot. Or any fun since he does strike me as someone devoid of a sense of humor.

Oh I think JD has a very dry sarcastic sense of humor. It is probably heavily discouraged by his family. He, Jessa and Jinger definitely have traces of sarcasm to me. It makes me wonder what might of been with different parents who encouraged more open kids.

• Love 6

I didnt watch, but I'm curious about the several posts here commenting on Jessa's frequent correction of Ben when he speaks. What type of things does she correct? And I thought true Gothardites believed that wives are subservient to their husbands? Has Jessa gotten a special dispensation?

These Duggaroons make and break the rules according to whim.

I can't wait to read the reviews here next week when Vanilla Icy-Benji raps his way into our hearts. Will he slip in a tribute to the Reverend Spurgeon? Epic, baby! :)

I didnt watch, but I'm curious about the several posts here commenting on Jessa's frequent correction of Ben when he speaks. What type of things does she correct? And I thought true Gothardites believed that wives are subservient to their husbands? Has Jessa gotten a special dispensation?

These Duggaroons make and break the rules according to whim.

I can't wait to read the reviews here next week when Vanilla Icy-Benji raps his way into our hearts. Will he slip in a tribute to the Reverend Spurgeon? Epic, baby! :)

All I remember is a FU internetz moment where they magnified the 'men don't babysit their own kids' thing. Another 'mistake' Bin (the father who takes care of all diaper changes last episode), struggled with the 'contraption' changing diapers this episode. They are so forward thinking. I believe some other Duggar got internet heat for saying he was babysitting or something. I don't think she broke any rules, rule 1) fake your lives to make $. 

I also think they are trying to distance themselves from Gothard; look we aren't Gothards, we are purposing to adopt and fellowship with musicians. 

• Love 1
(edited)

Regarding the "baby-sitting" I think that was just Bin's turn of phrase. He's a clueless 20 year-old, and most young guys associate watching kids with "baby-sitting." Judging by his frustrated reaction when Jessa corrected him, I got the impression that he didn't mean for it to come out the way it did.

I give Bin 3-5 years before he says "fuck it" and walks away. I can't imagine banging Jessa is worth all the misery.

Edited by BitterApple
  • Love 7

OMG i saw the teaser last night for the next episode and was SO struck by how awkward and out of her comfort zone Jessa was in that recording studio with the Christian rappers. Also, there's a hot blonde singer of the female persuasion that you just know has sealed Bins fate..he will never be allowed to go to the studio alone.

Jessa looks so wooden and uncomfortable it's painful to watch her. Spurge is actually adorable in the scenes.Like all babies, he's loving the music and is not fazed at all about all the different looking people in the room. He wants to party. His mom. .not so much. Ben seems non-lobotomized for the first time this season. You can tell he has had way more interaction with different races than Snow White has.

• Love 9

Disagree. The men on this family, primarily Boob and Smuggar, have been caution camera saying that they were babysitting their kids. I've also seen TFDW post the same sentiment. Thankfully, I haven't heard this from any member, related or extended, of the Bates clan.

• Love 3

Ben seems non-lobotomized for the first time this season. You can tell he has had way more interaction with different races than Snow White has.

I think Bin is much better socialized than Jessa. I remember watching one of the Duggars' early mission trips and Jessa looked at those kids like they were shit on the bottom of her shoe.

Although Bin is going to be an epic failure as a rapper, I give him credit for trying something completely out the box.

• Love 15

I think Bin is much better socialized than Jessa. I remember watching one of the Duggars' early mission trips and Jessa looked at those kids like they were shit on the bottom of her shoe.

Although Bin is going to be an epic failure as a rapper, I give him credit for trying something completely out the box.

If the last few episodes are any indication, Bin is being exposed as a dud. Although I would love to continue snarking, there is a part of me that really wants him to sound great and have fun at this rapping thing, make him go hmmmmm. 

• Love 4

The guy who is married to the woman the baby shower was for looks like a few of the Duggar men. *shudders*

Who is left of the older non-married Duggar children to promote for courting and marriage.

I thought he WAS one of them from the preview. Yup. Whole thing looked like a big Christian Mingle ad.

Sierra is sooo angling for her own show.

And what moron would dare step a foot into that "treehouse" that's DuggarBuilt? Seriously kid, its not redneck engineering, it's a fatality yet to be witnessed.

Sierra is absolutely angling for her own show. I think TLC is very aware of how thirsty she is. She's more obviously opportunistic than Cousin Amy.

I really don't understand what they're trying to do with these telephone poles… Some of the little kids jumped into one of the holes, and it was clearly only 2 to 3 feet deep at the most. That's nowhere near deep enough to safely hold posts that big. A post supporting a deck is usually sunk at least 4 feet, these 20 foot poles should be sunk way way way further than these knuckleheads are sucking them. This whole thing looks incredibly dangerous.

MKkay so my husband is an engineer. His uncles run a heavy civil contracting company (so one of hubs brothers , several cousins, even two of his brothers in law all work in that industry). They mostly do civil site work for shopping malls, housing developments, government buildings, etc. The actually stopped to watch the Duggars when they were building the treehouse to tell me they were going to kill someone, and were breaking a ton of codes. Now we are in PA, and they're in AK, but the same engineering/construction principals apply in the sense that they needed to dig those post holes a lot deeper. Probably three times what they were doing. He was also under the impression that a structure of the size they were describing would need a whole lot more permitting and safety requirements - about the same as a small house vs a normal treehouse from a kit - especially if they add in electricity, etc. 

I live in a farming community where there are a lot of Amish. Watching them ride past my house on their horse and buggy is more interesting than this shit show.

We sort of do, too. Amish - especially drunk Amish - can be quite entertaining.

Oh and the tree-house. Why does it need a play kitchen?? How about a reading nook. And a telescope, a magnifying glass, a globe, etc.

Imagine a quiet place to read, or looking at the stars at night, or picking a spot on the globe and pretending to be there, or 'burning' leaves with the sun and the magnifying glass. Let them imagine a life out side of the box.

Or yeesh, even a Noah's Ark theme. They could pretend there is water below them.

What's the point of a play kitchen if they can't seem to learn how to function in a real kitchen or an industrial kitchen. Quiet place for anything or to think? The whole purpose of accountability and total control is to prevent those things. Let's hope this tree house is Jana's passive aggressive FU moment of letting the children she is raising have some independence.

The strangest thing to me about Kristen was that I liked her. I thought she was just a genuinely happy person. But I've been wrong with first impressions many times :)

There was something weird though, when her father was talking to her while she was blindfolded (I would have REFUSED the blindfold!) and she just seemed frightened for a split second and I didn't like that at all. Made me mad about the whole situation. But she relaxed when her husband started talking to her.

Yeah, I actually liked her, too. She seemed nice. I hated the blindfold, too, or any situation forced upon a person that makes them feel uncomfortable. Of course, blindfolding is all about control, and you know how those people are about control. 

But...but...but didn't JD insist less than a month ago on GMA that they were all still living in the TTH?

The "find JD a wife!!@!!" campaign must have kicked into high gear!

I can't believe there aren't a ton of women gunning for JD. Not that he's some amazing potential husband, but simply because the whole goal for women in this world is to land a husband, and JD is absolutely a low maintenance, no pressure type. He's as much of the a jackpot winner as anyone in this crowd. Let's face the truth, no matter what they say about allowing the men to pursue, women not initiating dating, letting the Lord guide, etc., that's all a total crock. Guys like JD are ALWAYS set up without them even knowing it by some scheming church mothers. Now if Michelle wasn't so self centered, she'd have already found him someone she could dominate. But she's all about herself.

There's always a more vocal Marjorie (I don't think she's bad,or mean, just opportunistic), or a scheming Sierra (I do get a really fake, self-serving vibe from her), who sees a diamond in the rough and goes for it. Nice girls like Jana who follow the rules get left on the shelf.

It's a cultural thing too. Being Italian we stay home til the day we get married at least in my generation we did.

As for JD maybe he is socking his money away if he has rentals. Smart thing to do. I wonder what ever happened to his bank house he supposedly got for clearing the land?

Absolutely cultural for Italians, and a lot of other groups. I'll spare the long details, but my husband lived with his Nonna, Grandmother, Aunt and a widowed Aunt (wife of his Uncle) for several years after college. Saved money, helped them out with 'manly' errands, etc. Everybody benefited. Everybody also had their own bedroom. He was in an over the garage 'bachelor's suite' that was nicer than my apt. Key word is all the adults still had their own space and privacy. I don't see that with Duggar dorm rooms.

OMG i saw the teaser last night for the next episode and was SO struck by how awkward and out of her comfort zone Jessa was in that recording studio with the Christian rappers. Also, there's a hot blonde singer of the female persuasion that you just know has sealed Bins fate..he will never be allowed to go to the studio alone.

Jessa looks so wooden and uncomfortable it's painful to watch her. Spurge is actually adorable in the scenes.Like all babies, he's loving the music and is not fazed at all about all the different looking people in the room. He wants to party. His mom. .not so much. Ben seems non-lobotomized for the first time this season. You can tell he has had way more interaction with different races than Snow White has.

Jessa was the same way on their engagement scavenger hunt when she had to speak to people she didn't know. She acted terrified and like she expected them to rape and pillage her, then drag her straight to hell on the spot. She's Queen Bee in her own, controlled space, but that Instagram confidence goes out the door in an environment where no one cares who she is or cares about her values.

Bin is definitely more socialized than Jessa. I can't imagine him having rap skills, but yeah, at least he's trying something not Gothard approved.

• Love 10

I don't Bin has ever followed Gothard, has he?

The Seewalds were Vision Forum, but when knows if they weren't stealth Gothardites. From what I understand, I don't think the Seewalds have attended the Big Sandy conference en masse. They homeschool with other families (sorry, forget the term). Ben played football against real high school teams, and now his 19 year old sister is living on her own, with a real job and disgusting boyfriend.

This is why Ben trying to rap is realistic. Looking at his Instagram, he's a model for lame bible verse tees, ala Famy.

• Love 2

I've read about Vision Forum on Wikipedia. Same complementary, patriarchal, stay at home daughter, courtship crap. Their ex-leader doesn't seem to make the women wear long hair bit he had an affair and is also a creep like Gothard.

• Love 1

Daddy owns the planes, so he probably is at his beck and call. After seeing the embarrassing episode where JB did a ride along with JD, I would not want to see how he handles the constable volunteer job. I still cannot understand how a law enforcement agency would allow the ride along filming. I would be hiding my face in shame to be associated with JD in any law enforcement capacity after watching the one episode.

And let's not forget his unfortunate (read: dangerous) spot of piloting bother that he had misjudging and flying into a storm.

I'm surprised Code Enforcement hasn't visited that house of cards that they survived building. If for no other reason than to at least appraise for a tax increase.

• Love 1

Sierra is absolutely angling for her own show. I think TLC is very aware of how thirsty she is. She's more obviously opportunistic than Cousin Amy.

Completely agree. IMO, Sierra is wild to be a star - on any level - and is using the Duggars to feather her own TLC nest. And who knows? She could actually "make it" on TLC - because just like the Duggars, she is without any creativity and talent. If she does have talent, she's keeping it well-hidden. I don't understand the brass at this network in any way, shape or form. There really are a lot of talented people out there that they could feature. What in the world do they see in these dull-as-dirty-dishwater people?

Edited by Wellfleet
  • Love 3

They go for old-fashioned freak-show value: huge families, multiple-births, little-people. They are as old-school and old-world as a carnival.

Sierra stands no chance for a show because she isn't freaky enough - yet. She's 25-26 and has five kids, so she may make Duggar-style big family freak status in the next 5-10 years. She will have some name recognition from her stint on the Duggars, and she definitely wants the attention, so it's possible. I don't know much about her husband, but he doesn't look like he's pulling in hundreds of thousands of dollars a year, so if they have another 5 kids in the next five years, he might be willing to hit the TLC gravy train to make ends meet.

I'm digressing from JJCO and this episode, though, so I will say that it's interesting that her husband got some air time on this episode -- maybe TLC wants to see if focus groups respond well to him.

• Love 5

They go for old-fashioned freak-show value: huge families, multiple-births, little-people. They are as old-school and old-world as a carnival.

Sierra stands no chance for a show because she isn't freaky enough - yet. She's 25-26 and has five kids, so she may make Duggar-style big family freak status in the next 5-10 years. She will have some name recognition from her stint on the Duggars, and she definitely wants the attention, so it's possible. I don't know much about her husband, but he doesn't look like he's pulling in hundreds of thousands of dollars a year, so if they have another 5 kids in the next five years, he might be willing to hit the TLC gravy train to make ends meet.

I'm digressing from JJCO and this episode, though, so I will say that it's interesting that her husband got some air time on this episode -- maybe TLC wants to see if focus groups respond well to him.

But Sierra and family could be the Duggars in real time. Josh was around 12 when the Duggars were first on TV. Sierra's oldest is 5. If she's going to pop out her next 14 kids every year, she is a TLC dream come true. It's about the right time to start homeschooling and Sierra 'works', and has 'friends'. It would be like a 'modern' day version of the Duggars.

• Love 4

Just a quick bit of snark.

So are the evil spawn master and his lazy bitch of a wife showing up briefly in every episode just to test viewer reaction or are they doing it for the pay cheque? I'm already vibrating here from the little bit I've watched so far.

I don't believe they get paid when they just show up in a tiny role like that, so maybe they are testing viewer reaction.

My recollection is that Jim Bob pointed out a foreclosure for John-David to buy and that he rents it out.  I'm hoping that he actually lives in it but it's pretty unlikely.

So do you figure he is still in the dorm with the boys?  I really can't imagine it.  JD does have jobs, and not long ago photos emerged of him with a group of girls at somebody's house.  He was the driver for their touring singing group, IIRC.  It's hard to believe "kids" in excess of 25 years old don't have their own places.  Since JD has his own house, it's bizarre he doesn't stay there.  There is no real family life at the TTH that I can see.  Everybody is just screwing around doing their own thing, with no meal times or anything like a real family.  No planning for the future going on, like families tend to do.  Just a giant holding pattern there.

I do think he's still in the dorm with the boys. That's just the way they operate, and I'm guessing he/they view the house as one of their many real estate investments that they rent out. Really, considering he's used to having his meals cooked for him and his laundry done, he might not even enjoy living on his own. And I'm sure that with their purity obsession, they think it's wise for guys not to have too much time alone. Totally agree with everything else you said, though.

• Love 5

I assume that if John-David is paying personal tax on his vehicles to Washington County, and his house is in Benton County, that he must live in Washington County?

His address of his car registration must be in Washington County. Folks have been known to register their cars where insurance is cheaper. Which county is the Duggar home in?

His address of his car registration must be in Washington County. Folks have been known to register their cars where insurance is cheaper. Which county is the Duggar home in?

TTH is in Washington, John-David's house is in Benton.
  • Love 1

I'm more interested in a Sierra spin off than a Duggar reboot. Or an Amy spin off. Which is not to say I'm all that interested in any of them, but I'll opt for something new with cute little kids over the same Duggar nonsense ad naseum.

By the way, thanks to those of you watching this dreck and reporting back on it!

• Love 2

I don't Bin has ever followed Gothard, has he?

No, they were Vision Forum, at least for a time. At root, the same thing, but the outer trappings and milieu a little different. More focus on being different while looking cool enough to be admired by society as a whole, kind of, for one thing.

• Love 2

Are we supposed to believe that Sierra has an actual party planning business? Like, for money? That NEVER occurred to me, I assumed she was a party planner like, as a Church thing. Like, "Oh, Sierra is the Church's party planning lady, she likes to help with weddings and baby showers..."

• Love 5

Are we supposed to believe that Sierra has an actual party planning business? Like, for money? That NEVER occurred to me, I assumed she was a party planner like, as a Church thing. Like, "Oh, Sierra is the Church's party planning lady, she likes to help with weddings and baby showers..."

I don't think it's a real business. But she probably accepts love offerings. I think someone mention she sells chocolate covered strawberries. Can't imagine she gets much business, because it's not to hard to melt chocolate and dip a strawberry in it.

• Love 1

I think someone mention she sells chocolate covered strawberries. Can't imagine she gets much business, because it's not to hard to melt chocolate and dip a strawberry in it.

For most of us,  the chocolate covered strawberries are pretty easy to do, but for the low information Gorthard cult members the berries very chefy & hard to do. ;)

Edited by ariel
  • Love 3

For most of us, the chocolate covered strawberries are pretty easy to do, but for the low information Gorthard cult members the berries very chefy & hard to do. ;)

Lmfao, so true. For these folks, cooking Minute Rice is the equivalent of preparing Beef Wellington, so they may not have mastered the intricacies of dipping a strawberry in melted chocolate.

• Love 5

I'm more interested in a Sierra spin off than a Duggar reboot. Or an Amy spin off. Which is not to say I'm all that interested in any of them, but I'll opt for something new with cute little kids over the same Duggar nonsense ad naseum.

By the way, thanks to those of you watching this dreck and reporting back on it!

To me that's similar to asking if I prefer to be drowned or poisoned.

• Love 8

Everything is a blessing because of a severe lack of vocabulary.  Like their fellowshipping rather than talking, visiting, gossiping, shooting the shit...

I never thought about that, but you make an excellent point.  It's like Newspeak in 1984, the limited vocabulary, etc  Thanks for that!!

• Love 3

For most of us,  the chocolate covered strawberries are pretty easy to do, but for the low information Gorthard cult members the berries very chefy & hard to do. ;)

Well, I have also been assuming that any crafty stuff they do is directly ripped off of Pinterest. I doubt any of them have ever had an original idea. 

• Love 1

No, they were Vision Forum, at least for a time. At root, the same thing, but the outer trappings and milieu a little different. More focus on being different while looking cool enough to be admired by society as a whole, kind of, for one thing.

So if Ben has never followed Gothard, how does that translate when a nonGothardite male marries a Duggar daughter? Are the men expected to "convert," since they're under JimBob's headship? It's not feasible to have a Gothard-fearing wife, with a more "liberal" (haha) husband, is it? Especially when the father- in- law is considered the Boss? Are the differences of philosophy/religion/mindset discussed before marriage? Seems like terrible potential for unrest and unhappiness.

• Love 2

Well, I have also been assuming that any crafty stuff they do is directly ripped off of Pinterest. I doubt any of them have ever had an original idea.

And Sierra is only doing this because early in her marriage, her husband ordered her to find a "ministry."

All the blame for this rests solidly on his shoulders.

• Love 1

And Sierra is only doing this because early in her marriage, her husband ordered her to find a "ministry."

All the blame for this rests solidly on his shoulders.

So I was actually right about this being a Church thing.  

Also, ealier in the thread there was discussion about how they call each other "frineds" even though they barely know each other..... IMO, "friend" is the next-gen code for "like-minded people." I think that sounded too cult-ish. They threw it out with the Ramen noodle hairdo and brought in "friend" with the new, loose beachy waves and SLIGHTLY shorter denim skirts.

So if Ben has never followed Gothard, how does that translate when a nonGothardite male marries a Duggar daughter? Are the men expected to "convert," since they're under JimBob's headship? It's not feasible to have a Gothard-fearing wife, with a more "liberal" (haha) husband, is it? Especially when the father- in- law is considered the Boss? Are the differences of philosophy/religion/mindset discussed before marriage? Seems like terrible potential for unrest and unhap

piness.

It sure raises a lot of questions, doesn't it? Actually, though, I think the questions are more relevant to Derick and Jill than to Jessa and Bin. Vision Forum and ATI are pretty much in sync on the underlying stuff -- patriarchy and so on -- even though they differ somewhat in outward appearances.  Derick, meanwhile, went to a plain old Southern Baptist church so he was really outside the patriarchal cult world.

But my  guess is that JB has such a good eye for weak people who'll cave to his "authority" as well as for people with enough strength to try to oppose him or run their families their own way that he just never lets the stronger guys get anywhere near the girls while he turns a blind eye to potential doctrinal differences with the weaklings cause he knows they'll end up folding like wet kleenex. THat's what insane control freaks can easily do and do do, in my experience, anyway. I'm sure he's got a good eye for people he can bully and people he can't bully.

• Love 7

So, if the D's have all these rental properties, how come we haven't heard more inside scoop on them from renters? Or maybe we have? You'd think with the number of properties and business holdings they seem to have, someone would be spilling the beans at any given time.

• Love 2

Interesting point, because they have made it a point to be seen collecting rents on the a show. You'd think Boob would have an agency set up that keeps the Duggar name out of the transactions, as well as a hired agent signing on their behalf.

But these are Duggars, and if there's one thing we know about these people, it's that they plaster their name all over their business ventures (Duggar Automotive/Towing/Aviation, etc).

Edited by Sew Sumi