Type keyword(s) to search

S02.E04: Surprise!

• Start Topic

Long time lurker. I couldn't keep silent any longer. What is with the constant squealing with Joy and Sierra? Just...stop...now. You are not 12 year old girls at a Justin Beebs concert. Second of all, I don't normally condone men treating women with any disrespect, however, does anyone else want Bin-duh to look at Jessa and say "shut the fuck up" take off his mic and walk away? I'm not normally this crabby but these people will bring it out. Lol

• Love 16

So are the Younger Duggars free-range chikdren now? No SOTDRT? Just a bunch of kids looking for glasses. Meanwhile the real parents of these children are dropping in on the Dillards uninvited? Does Derrick speak any more? I think he hates being on TV. He says nothing! I think he wants the Duggars out of his life.

• Love 10

I kind of felt sad for the older kids when they were talking about wishing they had had a tree house when they were younger. They even had a tree house book they pored over. You would have thought JB would have made this another project for them to do or God forbid, get them built professionally. But I guess tree houses would encourage their imaginations- pirate ships, space ships, forts, etc. I know some of the Howlers tried to resurrect a shed they had. I guess they had to make do with that.

• Love 6
(edited)

I kind of felt sad for the older kids when they were talking about wishing they had had a tree house when they were younger. They even had a tree house book they pored over. You would have thought JB would have made this another project for them to do or God forbid, get them built professionally. 

Hmmm, now why would Jim Bob not want to create a quiet, private space where the older kids could go off on their own?  What could the reason possibly be? 

Edited by Celia Rubenstein
  • Love 12
(edited)

Tabbygirl, I didn't get the food thing either. None of them were loaded down with huge backpacks or grocery sacks, so what the hell did they do, bring one box of rice and a bag of beans for twenty people? The whole thing is such a sham.

Maybe they were expecting a loaves and fishes type event. After all, they've gone to all the trouble to move to a dangerous land to convert the popish heathen. Surely God could help out with a little food miracle here and there, to help the process along.

Surely He could spring for dessert at least -- a few Oreo balls or something?

I dont understand. Why would you own a place and not live in it?

Well, Gothard offsprung males are supposed to own a house without debt when they marry, right? (ha!   ... but still) .... So I'm thinking that having JD own a house is intended to be ATI chickbait?

Edited by Churchhoney
  • Love 9

Long time lurker. I couldn't keep silent any longer. What is with the constant squealing with Joy and Sierra? Just...stop...now. You are not 12 year old girls at a Justin Beebs concert. Second of all, I don't normally condone men treating women with any disrespect, however, does anyone else want Bin-duh to look at Jessa and say "shut the fuck up" take off his mic and walk away? I'm not normally this crabby but these people will bring it out. Lol

Welcome. I like the cut of your jib.

Hmmm, now why would Jim Bob not want to create a quiet, private space where the older kids could go off on their own? What could the reason possibly be?

Get outta my head! Haha
  • Love 6

I didn't get the impression that Joy & Sierra were hired as party planners. I thought they were throwing a baby shower for a 'friend'. If they were throwing a party, the board of health has nothing to say about how they prepare their food. The board of health does not monitor nor have jurisdiction (hehe) over private citizens food preparations. 

With that said, the loose and long hair alone, skeeved me out.

• Love 4

18 yr old Joy has been "best friends" with 30 (? I'm guessing) yr old Sierra for 5 years? So Sierra at age 25 wanted a 13 yr old BFF?? That's one screwed up cult -- what does a college aged adult have in common with a preteen??

I love how they're highlighting each girl as a talented individual. Party planning doesn't strike me as Joy's thing -- that was SO made for TV. Typically party planning is a "girly" type of thing -- if you don't like shopping, you're not going to go far in party planning as you are shopping and decorating for every single party as they have different themes and everything has to be just-so. As for Jinger and photography -- if she wants to be a real photographer, can't she get a real client or two?? Is her only choice to photograph Sierra and family? There's really no one else in their area with a wedding, baby, or family portrait need. Real photographers build a book of their work, that's how people decide which photographer to go with for their event; surely if the Duggars are going to fake this, they can do a better job faking it.

As for JD -- Kelly Bates had said that JD and Zach were friends and JD was there for Zach when his first courtship fell apart. After that Zach didn't go down the courtship road; rather he was hanging out at Sonic, saw a cute waitress, started chatting her up, they became friends over time -- starting off talking about past failed relationships and how hard it was, and then dated or courted and married. I wish JD would go down this road and look at Zach and realize it's possible. Frankly it's going to be more possible for him that way than the traditional way. The courting model is based on a fundie guy noticing a fundie girl. I'm sure he's capable of doing that bc now he sounds like he WANTS to be married with his own family. Yet after you notice said girl, you run off to her daddy to say you've prayed about it and ask his blessing to get to know you for 6-8 weeks so you can propose. You need daddy to think you're a stand up guy bc he's the one who is going to convince his daughter that this is a good thing and she should go for it. I don't think JD is all that confident -- I can see him saying to himself, why would that father ever say yes, I'm Josh Duggars brother and everyone probably thinks I'm just like that. I can see JD talking himself out of it and not even asking permission to court.

I don't think he has any game either, BUT I wish he'd talk to Zach and realize that it's not THAT big of a deal to be yourself and chat with girls until you find one who likes you back. Sure he's dorky, but it's not like dorky guys don't get married. And despite his dorkiness, I think he is a stand up guy -- I think he'll be happy to work hard; I don't see him as the domineering headship type; etc. While dating means he won't meet a fundie girl with 15 siblings of her own, in their area it is still extremely likely that he'll meet a conservative Christian who shares the same views re purity etc.

• Love 14

Sierra said a lot of family that the couple hadn't seen in awhile would be at that shower.  Maybe Kristen's parents live really far away and they don't see each other often.  she was obviously expecting her husband to be part of the surprised.  If you're blind folded and someone suddenly whispers in your ear (that isn't your husband whom you were expecting to be next to you) it's going to freak you out no matter what because you aren't expect it. 

If someone comes next to me and speaks into my ear and I can see them it still gives me goosebumps lol

The shower was obviously for show but Kristen looked genuinely surprised and happy.  but interesting that this was the 2nd show in a row where they basically featured "Tacos for life"

• Love 1

Bin is a footnote of irrelevant information. He was a sperm donor, and now they should just hide him on a shelf among that mess at the TTH until Jessa needs to be impregnated again. Next week he is going to provide fodder for us and I'm already embarrassed for him. 

Damn. My hat's off to you for this one.

• Love 3

This whole catering/party planner thing sounds like a variation on the Duggar family motto.  Instead of "buy used and save the difference" now it's "hire and amateur and save the difference."

I suppose it's all well and good until the wheels fall off your used car or the treehouse collapses or you give all your guests ptomaine poisoning. 

• Love 10

Sierra's FB page has her strawberry offerings on it.  And somebody asked if they could be shipped to someplace else in Arkansas.  No dice.  But Sierra said send her the address and she'd look it up on a map and see if she could still make a personal delivery.  I guess most of the sales are to those she knows, locals, fundy friends of fundys in the area only.

• Love 4

Joy and Sierra have apparently been best friends for 5 years, yet Joy can't even say her name correctly? I don't think it's pronounced "Seera". Seera sure does love her sugar.

The brothers talking about Joy's suitor, specifically checking him out and testing him, made me laugh.

Nice parenting regarding Jennie's glasses, JimChelle.

• Love 8

That whole episode was a waste of time.  And, who has a baby shower that early in a pregnancy?  The only good thing about that show is that Jim Bob and Michelle weren't allowed to speak on camera.

• Love 5

What's up with Derrick? He looks deranged. He doest say a word and he just stares at Jill with those googly eyes. I wonder if the heat is getting to him

Or his self-chosen horrifying fate is getting to him?

• Love 7

What's up with Derrick? He looks deranged. He doest say a word and he just stares at Jill with those googly eyes. I wonder if the heat is getting to him

I thought Derick looked emaciated this episode. When they showed a side view of him walking "In the Field,™" he looked like he would blow away. This has to be upsetting for Cathy. Maybe it's his height that makes his thinness worse than it really is. My son is same age & is very thin also, but he is healthy looking. Derrick, not so much.
  • Love 1
(edited)

They must be directed to do this. In other shows, if there is a TH or two people talking, they may naturally look at each other, but the Duggs contrive EVERYTHING, and you wonder if this is one of the pointers they have been given. It's stupid and makes them even more one dimensional, if possible. Gaze adoringly at your spouse.. it'll look great promise. ugh. (It's like the baby posing holds, pet peeve)

Edited by sometimesy
  • Love 3

I am genuinely surprised Jessa gets away with that.  You don't see Michelle doing this with Jim-Bob - he would never tolerate it.  This certainly is not something the girls would have been taught to do.  If she keeps it up - it may well happen - that Bin tells her to shut the fuck up, I'm the man around here and you obey ME!  He will snap sooner or later.  (This is not to say I think he has the right to absolute rule because he is "the man")

• Love 4

Bin looks ready to snap. He is what 20 years old? His life will be nothing but more babies and being an indentured servant of Boob's. He seems totally over Jessa.

Derrick tried to take Jill and Izzy and run away but those darn Duggars keep showing up with the camera crew. I think he only tolerates the cameras and told Jill as much. He says nothing and looks exhausted in all of their THs. Jill looks scared and it's not because of the "dangerous" place they are ministering to. I think Derrick has told TLC and Jill no more cameras after the contract runs out so that is why everyone keeps talking about how dangerous it is. They will then explain that the Dillards will no longer be followed by the TV crews due to putting them in danger and all of them can save face. And I suspect Derrick wants a normal sized family and is withholding from Jill which is freaking her out.

• Love 11

CPA Carol, I agree 100% with your entire statement. Bin is like a pressure cooker that's about to explode. Honestly, I want to bitch slap Jessa just from watching her 40 minutes a week. Imagine having to live with her full time. If I ever have a son, I'm going to be sure to encourage him to marry for character, not looks. Bin did the opposite and is paying dearly for it.

I think Derick is also reaching his breaking point. I think Jill is a needy life suck, and she's driving him crazy. I knew things were off when Derick damn near skipped to his Spanish class, he was so happy to get out of the house for a few hours.

The Duggars are very skilled at painting themselves as some sort of Norman Rockwell style family. I don't think Derick or Bin knew how truly fucked up they were until they were already married and it was too late to go back.

• Love 20

So are the Younger Duggars free-range chikdren now? No SOTDRT? Just a bunch of kids looking for glasses. Meanwhile the real parents of these children are dropping in on the Dillards uninvited? Does Derrick speak any more? I think he hates being on TV. He says nothing! I think he wants the Duggars out of his life.

Those children are supposed to exhibit total obedience.  But yet Jenny hides her glasses (no wonder she found them for the quarter) and won't wear them.  I would think one word to her from someone in charge and she would keep them on.  

• Love 6

The board of health does not monitor nor have jurisdiction (hehe) over private citizens food preparations. 

With that said, the loose and long hair alone, skeeved me out.

Wasn't Sierra the baker of Jilly Muffin's ill-fated wedding cake as well?

• Love 1

And I suspect Derrick wants a normal sized family and is withholding from Jill which is freaking her out.

Now THIS is the show. 

What will Jilly Muffin do -- run back to Mommy and Daddy and tattle on Triple D, or attempt to work out their problems with an actual licensed counselor? My bet is on Door #1.

• Love 6

No, I think it was the mom of one of the babies Jill helped deliver that made the wedding cake. Jill's other "wedding planner" was Venessa, the midwife she worked under.

I thought Kristen looked familiar. She looked like one of the mothers that Jill helped deliver the baby and was interviewed on the old show. Maybe Kristen is that mom's sister.

• Love 1

I guess I am in the minority, but I am not seeing the pressure cooker thing with Ben.  He strikes me as being pretty much a wet piece of white bread.  Just bluhhhhh, no energy, no thoughts, no strong feelings about anything.  I expect he will be content with Jessa and Jim Bob controlling him for a long, long time because he doesn't know what else to do.  I think it will be years - decades, even - before he decides he wants to have a say in what goes on in their home.  If ever.

I think Derrick is more on the ball and had some idea what he was getting into and believed he could manage it.  He has learned it's harder than he thought it would be, but he is determined to call the shots in his own life.  Thus the exodus to CA.  I think he wants to keep Jill content because he really cares for her, but he isn't ever going to let her mow him over ala' Jessa.  And he is never going to be Jim Bob's slave.  He has the means to earn a legit living on his own and he doesn't need Jim Bob's help the way Ben does. 

I think Jill will be happier in her marriage than Jessa is for the simple reason that Jill seems to share more interests with her husband.  Jessa will get bored with Ben soon enough, but there won't be a divorce, ever.   I don't think any of the Duggar children really value their own personal happiness enough to put substance over form and do something they have not been programmed to do.

• Love 10

I thought Derick looked emaciated this episode. When they showed a side view of him walking "In the Field,™" he looked like he would blow away. This has to be upsetting for Cathy. Maybe it's his height that makes his thinness worse than it really is. My son is same age & is very thin also, but he is healthy looking. Derrick, not so much.

I know I have commented about this before...but I am in an very similar situation that Derrick is in. Braces for the third time and a jaw surgery, I am just older. Started out lean and tall, and I too look like HELL! Lost 25 pounds and when you are in pain you aren't hungry yet you must eat.  Then you have to consider the braces, and what you actually can eat.  Everyone says, "go eat a milkshake", that's fine and good but I can't live on that.  Then your body gets used to less food and your appetite goes away.  I have lost muscle mass and my face is thin and gaunt. I am surprised he can even walk down a trail, frankly. You could tell his teeth have shifted a lot. He has past the one year mark so he can probably begin eating harder foods, BUT, his teeth are out of alignment so that makes chewing very difficult without constantly biting your cheeks.  His demeanor has changed. So has mine. I give Derrick complete slack on this and honestly and stung each time I hear such cruel remarks on social media about his appearance.  Just offering up another POV.

• Love 21

I know I have commented about this before...but I am in an very similar situation that Derrick is in. Braces for the third time and a jaw surgery, I am just older. Started out lean and tall, and I too look like HELL! Lost 25 pounds and when you are in pain you aren't hungry yet you must eat.  Then you have to consider the braces, and what you actually can eat.  Everyone says, "go eat a milkshake", that's fine and good but I can't live on that.  Then your body gets used to less food and your appetite goes away.  I have lost muscle mass and my face is thin and gaunt. I am surprised he can even walk down a trail, frankly. You could tell his teeth have shifted a lot. He has past the one year mark so he can probably begin eating harder foods, BUT, his teeth are out of alignment so that makes chewing very difficult without constantly biting your cheeks.  His demeanor has changed. So has mine. I give Derrick complete slack on this and honestly and stung each time I hear such cruel remarks on social media about his appearance.  Just offering up another POV.

What is the breaking-the-jaw surgery for?  Was it a health issue that needed correction or just cosmetic?  On this episode, it's clear that Derrick is still wearing braces and that his teeth are out of alignment.  How long does it take?

His demeanor has changed. So has mine.

I'm sorry for your issues and I share some of them myself. The braces are enough without a clingy wife, a kid, joshgates, a tv show, and living in a foreign country. I almost want to start a betting pool about who snaps first, Ben or Derrick.

• Love 5
(edited)

I guess I am in the minority, but I am not seeing the pressure cooker thing with Ben.  He strikes me as being pretty much a wet piece of white bread.  Just bluhhhhh, no energy, no thoughts, no strong feelings about anything.  I expect he will be content with Jessa and Jim Bob controlling him for a long, long time because he doesn't know what else to do.  I think it will be years - decades, even - before he decides he wants to have a say in what goes on in their home.  If ever.

I think Derrick is more on the ball and had some idea what he was getting into and believed he could manage it.  He has learned it's harder than he thought it would be, but he is determined to call the shots in his own life.  Thus the exodus to CA.  I think he wants to keep Jill content because he really cares for her, but he isn't ever going to let her mow him over ala' Jessa.  And he is never going to be Jim Bob's slave.  He has the means to earn a legit living on his own and he doesn't need Jim Bob's help the way Ben does. 

I think Jill will be happier in her marriage than Jessa is for the simple reason that Jill seems to share more interests with her husband.  Jessa will get bored with Ben soon enough, but there won't be a divorce, ever.   I don't think any of the Duggar children really value their own personal happiness enough to put substance over form and do something they have not been programmed to do.

I don't see the Ben thing either. He's barely a man, a little slow on the uptake, and hasn't had any relationships to compare this one too. He's a 20 year old boy/man who has had an opportunity to rap, has a twitter and FB following and gets paid to do nothing on TV. He might be happier than a pig in shit.

ETA; And he's getting some.

Edited by GeeGolly
  • Love 9

I don't know if she baked the wedding cake, but she was in charge of all the melted ice cream at Jessa's wedding reception.  (Jessa was too cheap to give her guests wedding cake.) 

In this episode, she supposedly planned the baby shower for her good friend, Kristen, but she had never visited her 'good friend' before and couldn't even find her house.  She's a certified dingbat, providing comic relief in the show, and she appears to be the cousin-Amy-replacement.

• Love 5

What is the breaking-the-jaw surgery for?  Was it a health issue that needed correction or just cosmetic?  On this episode, it's clear that Derrick is still wearing braces and that his teeth are out of alignment.  How long does it take?

Derrick had the jaw surgery because his palate became too narrow after the first go-round with braces. I too have had jaw pain issues in the past, and it sucks big time! Thankfully, wearing an appliance fixed my problem, so I didn't have to go thru surgery, but I'm betting that Derrick is dealing with chronic pain issues.

• Love 4

I deal with jaw pain/ear aches and headaches because of TMJ Arthralgia due to the damage the radiation from my radiation ablation treatment to kill my thyroid cells caused.

In the case of Derrick, I think the chronic pain issues he deals with on a daily basus is a clingy, needy, teenage acting, giggly wife, and his darling in-laws. The physical pain is probably more bearable than all the Duggars put together.

I don't know if she baked the wedding cake, but she was in charge of all the melted ice cream at Jessa's wedding reception.  (Jessa was too cheap to give her guests wedding cake.) 

In this episode, she supposedly planned the baby shower for her good friend, Kristen, but she had never visited her 'good friend' before and couldn't even find her house.  She's a certified dingbat, providing comic relief in the show, and she appears to be the cousin-Amy-replacement.

If I remember correctly, the melted ice cream was for the root beer floats at Jill's wedding. The ice cream at Jessa's wedding was well packed in ice out on the frozen tundra of the church parking lot.

• Love 3

I think the parking lot was like 45° at Jessa's wedding and only the bride and groom were eating the ice cream. Everyone else was standing around freezing their asses off.

Sierra was the root beer float debacle. The only nice part of either wedding was the rehearsal dinners put together by Cathy and Guinn.

I think Sierra is just a disaster as a party planner. I was willing to give her a pass on the weddings because she was dealing with the Duggars and a bargain basement budget, but a simple baby shower shouldn't have been that hard to plan and execute. All she had to do was decorate and make a few cookie truffles.

• Love 4

Someone asked how long Derick's orthodontia should take.  In an ideal situation our orthodontist said two years to 2 years 3 months.  Daughter's took two years the first time and 19 months  the second round 20 years later when her bite shifted.  Only the first round involved palate expansion.  Derick is not in what looks to me like anything approaching an ideal situation.  He either had to switch orthodontists at least twice or he isn't getting regular checkups or both. 

• Love 2

Hi Curt.  I wondered about them buying dishes at the thrift store for use in the tree house.  They don't use dishes in the TTH.  Why would they have glass or china in the stupid tree house?  Grab a handful of paper plates and some plastic cups and they're good to go.

• Love 9

I "watched " this episode while doing some hand sewing for markets I am off to tomorrow, and I have to ask, did they actually show Jill and Derrick?  I was listening to the content more than watching and must have missed it!  It really was a bit of a snore-fest.  I did stop and watch a bit, the parts with Sierra and Joy, they seemed to be genuinely having fun and thought the part when they went to the wrong house was funny, but felt sad for Jenny and thought it was priceless that she stopped and looked at photos and ultimately knew her glasses were in the the footstool of the piano.  If she doesn't want to wear them, her parents should be finding out why, not her siblings, aunt and cousins searching for them and making a game of it.  

Having watched 2 episodes of Bringing up Bates before watching this episode, I found the majority of the TH's and even the whole thing as boring as bat poo.  It all sounded so written and even more repetitive and boring!  

Oh yeah, thought it was hilarious that Sierra got to know them because they had an industrial kitchen she could use and would clean afterwards....only times it gets used and cleaned....

• Love 4

Or yeesh, even a Noah's Ark theme. They could pretend there is water below them.

And feed the lions with the bodies of the dead sinners floating by?

Is that Sierra a licensed caterer? I'm not sure of the difference between a party planner and caterer if you supply the homemade food yourself, do you need any type of a license?

Mollie had already explained about the catering license, but there is a difference between caterer and party planner. The caterer will supply the food and in some cases, the decorations during the setup for the tables. The planner oversees the whole operation, the theme, invitations (not who to invite, but the style, design), decorations, catering, games etc. Like a wedding planner. A planner can also be a caterer. My Boss was one. BUT, a licensed one and Mollie's right about the rules for catering. My sister wanted to be a caterer, and operate out of her home, but stopped when she found out about all the rules and inspections. Being a single working mother with two young and very precocious boys, she thought she had enough on her plate. 

• Love 1

I do understand what Derick must be going thru following his mouth surgery. Add on all his other stresses & most of us would look like that too. But why can't they make a simple statement about it on the show if this is the reason? Derick could explain why both him & Izzy are eating the same soft foods & it's taken longer than he thought to recuperate in a foreign country. That kind of thing. But I'm sure it's a Duggar thing- don't bother telling the truth to the keep the drama meter up. You think they would mention something about it since even their devoted fans are questioning his health.

• Love 4

In this episode, she supposedly planned the baby shower for her good friend, Kristen, but she had never visited her 'good friend' before and couldn't even find her house. 

We're clinging to the antiquated notion that you have to have contact with people to claim friendship with them. TLC and Duggardom have clearly moved beyond this limiting concept.

• Love 5
(edited)

Hi Curt.  I wondered about them buying dishes at the thrift store for use in the tree house.  They don't use dishes in the TTH.  Why would they have glass or china in the stupid tree house?  Grab a handful of paper plates and some plastic cups and they're good to go.

Probably stopped at the chicken or taco place to put food in the fake pots, bought a cake at a grocery store to 'present' after they fake sifted flour. It's all about playing house. This is how they learn to become fake housewives. Notice no plastic/plush dolls? They just pick up Spurgeon or an M&M. 

Edited by sometimesy
  • Love 3

Mine was alignment. I suspect Derrick is for palate widening. My recovery was 6 months, but the maxilla requires a year.

• Love 1

Someone asked how long Derick's orthodontia should take.  In an ideal situation our orthodontist said two years to 2 years 3 months.  Daughter's took two years the first time and 19 months  the second round 20 years later when her bite shifted.  Only the first round involved palate expansion.  Derick is not in what looks to me like anything approaching an ideal situation.  He either had to switch orthodontists at least twice or he isn't getting regular checkups or both. 

Not necessarily. After my surgery, we didn't do anything, including changing out ligature bands. Prior to surgery, the ortho put the stainless steel ligature wires on because they are more sanitary.  But no adjustments on my teeth for 6 months. I suspect it is longer for the maxilla.  They either used cadaver bone or artificial bone to maintain the space. It is a brutal recovery. I find it especially offensive when people speak to this situation and have no idea what they are talking about.

• Love 3