Type keyword(s) to search

S02.E04: Surprise!

• Start Topic

Oh give me a break, a preview scene for next week's episode shows the girls worrying because they can't contact Jill via Skype. Followed by a TH mentioning how "dangerous" it is where Jill and Derrick are living. 

It's so dangerous that the entire Duggar family takes all the kids over 10-years-old and goes there for a couple of weeks every December, and have done this for years!

• Love 17

So it appears that Joy Anna, age 18, is the most mature and independent of the Duggar clan. She will be the next Duggar to be married and will live near Sierra.

Sadly, Sierra was the most entertaining person on the show. Motherhood of 5 under 5 seems to have toned her down a bit.

Jessa is not doing her dim & immature Benny any favors by correcting everything he says. 

JD saying he has a place to live - did anyone else get the impression he doesn't live there now? And the fact that he does own a home - does that mean he had a mate in mind when he bought it?

• Love 3

Oh and the tree-house. Why does it need a play kitchen?? How about a reading nook. And a telescope, a magnifying glass, a globe, etc.

Imagine a quiet place to read, or looking at the stars at night, or picking a spot on the globe and pretending to be there, or 'burning' leaves with the sun and the magnifying glass. Let them imagine a life out side of the box.

Or yeesh, even a Noah's Ark theme. They could pretend there is water below them.

• Love 15
(edited)

Is that Sierra a licensed caterer? I'm not sure of the difference between a party planner and caterer if you supply the homemade food yourself, do you need any type of a license?

What really caught my attention, and turned my stomach, was as she and Joy were making cookies, neither wore plastic gloves. Especially when making those generic Oreo cookie things, Sierra was scraping the cream cheese out of the package with her bare fingers, they then continued to roll them into balls with their bare hands. I don't remember if they had their hair pulled back. Then, when someone was putting the food out at the shower, you could see they licked their fingers when putting one of the plates down.

These "women" are getting too old to be living at home, acting like teenagers, but I guess someone had to be around the house to care for the younger children.

I find it very strange that Sierra's best friend is an 18 year old. She has to be in her 30's.

Edited by alegtostandon
  • Love 4
She has to be in her 30's.

As unbelievable as it may sound, Sierra is in her mid-twenties. Still a strange friend for an immature 18-year old, but it's not as if Joy has that many people to choose from and Sierra is probably glomping on to any Duggar she can get her Oreo-sticky little mitts on.

• Love 10

Is that Sierra a licensed caterer? I'm not sure of the difference between a party planner and caterer if you supply the homemade food yourself, do you need any type of a license?

Sierra is not a licensed caterer.  If she is just helping friends with parties and not getting paid to do that, she doesn't need a license.  But, if she is paid to prepare food for others, she is doing it illegally without a license.

On Valentine's Day she was selling her chocolate covered strawberries and cookies on the Internet, which is also illegal without a license from the Arkansas Department of Health.  And, yes, she is required to either use gloves or utensils when handling food – never just bare hands – and the kitchen where the food is prepared must have regular inspections by the ADH.

http://www.healthy.arkansas.gov/programsServices/environmentalHealth/foodProtection/Pages/FrequentlyAskedQuestions.aspx

• Love 6

Sierra looked so incredibly stressed out during the pedicure!  I realize she was "nervous" about Joy doing the last minute preparations, but really?  She looked like she was about to stroke out.  It's just not that serious girl.  She could have avoided all of that if she had just left the house on time.   Nothing like rushing the mom of honor through each step of the process.  If we are to believe she does this on a regular basis, she sucks at it. 

• Love 3

Sierra looked so incredibly stressed out during the pedicure! I realize she was "nervous" about Joy doing the last minute preparations, but really? She looked like she was about to stroke out. It's just not that serious girl. She could have avoided all of that if she had just left the house on time. Nothing like rushing the mom of honor through each step of the process. If we are to believe she does this on a regular basis, she sucks at it.

Unfortunately, I think that was Sierras idea of her Meryl Streep moment. Giving us some drama, she was. "I'M READY FOR MY CLOSE UP, MR DeMILLE!!"
  • Love 10

Why does Jessa look dirty and greasy? Does she not have time to shower, get made-up and put on clean clothes? She looks like she sleeps in her ugly clothes, gets up and goes about her day.

• Love 1

Kristen's husband was beyond nervous to be on TV. He also reminded me of JB. At least he met his wife in a business class, so at least she is educated.

I almost fell off my chair when I heard the husband say something about how he and his wife, in a few months, "will have been married" xx years. I knew he hadn't been to the SOTDRT.

It was such a contrast to the English-mangling Duggars, with their "Me and the girls went shopping."

A nit, I know, but ARGH.

• Love 6

I've never in my life described someone, or something, as 'joyful.'

I've also never gotten excited bc I found a fucking sifter at a thrift shop.

I also noticed how Anna described everything about her living situation as "it's a blessing". 

• Love 5

Jim Bob and Michelle made their appearance complete with frontal hugs!!! . When did that become allowed? They just can't stay away from a film crew, I guess.

I actually felt sorry for Jill during the hug scene. ( **hiding my head in shame**). I wasn't paying too much attention & thought who is she giving that tight of a hug to? & then realized it was Michelle. For once it didn't seem fake & came across that Jill misses her family (&their help) & was really glad to see her parents.

So did that party planner just dump powdered sugar into a bunch of Oreos? Because wow.

I think she even called it the mystery item or something along those lines.

I really wondered what Sierra was smoking when she gave the answer to the question about why they didn't have ladies only showers.

I'm sure TLC paid for the shower. They didn't mention it, but it looked like they served some type of food (besides sweets) with the big aluminum serving trays. This shower looked better than both Duggar girls weddings combined. Whatever happened to chips & dip, some finger sandwiches, deviled eggs & a cake type of shower held in someone's house? Throw in a few simple games, open the gifts & call it a day. I'm sure it's just the way things are done nowadays but they wanted this event to be THE event of the year. Why were the Duggar guys even there? Besides for free food & to use them as filler people to show a large crowd? I give Ben a pass but I think I saw most of the older guys there. There was one shot with JD or Joe with Jana looking really bored.

I can't believe they had to show us 10 minutes of looking for lost glasses. Will they be showing them looking for a Duggar kid's missing mouth retainer next week?

Re: the tree house condo. I noticed too that the holes weren't dug that deep. I'm not a builder, but don't they also pour cement in the hole to make it more secure? They could have not shown this, but I doubt it.

Why were they making a big deal about buying kitchen type things for the house? Aren't the Lost Girls getting too old to play house & kitchen? Josie & Mer are 6 & will be 7 later on in the year. It's one thing to have a play kitchen, but no mention was made of buying things for other areas of the house. Like someone else posted, they could make a really neat reading area with a hammock, piles of pillows, window seats, etc. Wishful thinking. Maybe they are now realizing the Duggar gals need help with their homemaker skills & are concentrating on that with the younger girls.

• Love 4

Did the Dullards say they delivered rice and beans from their church? Does that mean they have a church, or they just picked up donations from a church and were the mules? I just wonder who spent the $1 on rice and beans they were carrying. 

I've yet to see anything they are doing as worthwhile. What kind of parents disrespect their children enough to randomly fly to a different country to surprise their adult kids? Holy invasion Batman. 

Sierra is the best friend of every single Duggar female. Sad. They need their own person. Joy did look like she was having fun. The running commentary from Jessa and Jinger is not believable at all. Shut up. Jinger isn't as likable as she used to be. Joy and Jana still seem somewhat sincere.

Their entire raison d'être is birth. 

I thought the brother after JD (Is it Joe?) was kind of cute. JD might be Christian mingling, but I hope it works for him. He seems more like an anti-Duggar: works hard, has realistic goals. 

Bin is a footnote of irrelevant information. He was a sperm donor, and now they should just hide him on a shelf among that mess at the TTH until Jessa needs to be impregnated again. Next week he is going to provide fodder for us and I'm already embarrassed for him. 

• Love 13
(edited)

The real food table was probably provided by Tacos 4 Life. I still didn't think it was enough food for all those people.

The cookie baking was a pure joke. I make those decorated cookies and they take time and effort. They rolled the dough way too thin first off, secondly if you have never worked with royal icing making cookies for a party=disaster. Cookies take time, patience and skill. Sierra and Joy should just stick to chocolate covered strawberries and Oreos. Oh and for you guys wondering why she put in powered sugar I think it was to aborb the moisture in the creme cheese.

Edited by Fuzzysox
  • Love 3

I agree with what someone said up thread about Kristen being more Sierra's friend than Jessa's. Jessa and Kristen might know each other casually, but I don't get the vibe they're close enough to where Jessa would be involved in planning a shower for her.

• Love 1

Is their friend Kristen sweet? I wasn't quite sure.

Just kidding. Every time someone mentioned her, it was 'our sweet friend Kristen.'

I'm a Kristen and it was weird hearing my name coming out of Jessa's and Sierra's mouths every two seconds. As far as sweet, I was in a funny debate on another forum where we were discussing "bitchy girl" names and Kristen was on the list, along with Amanda, Jessica, Tiffany and a few others that can't come to mind right now. The Kristen on last night's show struck me as an annoying phony, but who knows, she may be the exception to the rule.

I'm a Kristen and it was weird hearing my name coming out of Jessa's and Sierra's mouths every two seconds. As far as sweet, I was in a funny debate on another forum where we were discussing "bitchy girl" names and Kristen was on the list, along with Amanda, Jessica, Tiffany and a few others that can't come to mind right now. The Kristen on last night's show struck me as an annoying phony, but who knows, she may be the exception to the rule.

The strangest thing to me about Kristen was that I liked her. I thought she was just a genuinely happy person. But I've been wrong with first impressions many times :)

There was something weird though, when her father was talking to her while she was blindfolded (I would have REFUSED the blindfold!) and she just seemed frightened for a split second and I didn't like that at all. Made me mad about the whole situation. But she relaxed when her husband started talking to her.

• Love 4

Oh and the tree-house. Why does it need a play kitchen?? How about a reading nook. And a telescope, a magnifying glass, a globe, etc.

Imagine a quiet place to read, or looking at the stars at night, or picking a spot on the globe and pretending to be there, or 'burning' leaves with the sun and the magnifying glass. Let them imagine a life out side of the box.

Or yeesh, even a Noah's Ark theme. They could pretend there is water below them.

I love the idea of a quiet spot. They have an industrial kitchen with many adult supervisors so make use of that to play 'kitchen'. I would love to sneak in and fill that with 'banned' books. 

• Love 8

All I could think was, get yer hair out of the cookie dough! Vomit! Am watching he Willis Family right now and they seem to include quite a few opportunities to show they are not Duggaresque. In this ep they are helping at a pancake breakfast and WEARING HAIRNETS. And someone off camera corrected a kid's bad grammar.

Back to the topic: just how much rice and beans were Jill and them hauling on their hike? Enough to matter? Jill wasn't carrying anything but Israel, and the other backpacks looks pretty light. I would expect big giant aluminum-frame packs full of product. This was more like they were delivering sack lunches.

Joy: Don't give up being a "tom boy" unless you want to! Nurture your anti-shopping gene.

Yay for the expectant couple being college-educated. I hope they really are friends of the Dugs. The woman seemed a little disconnected from Jessa and Sierra, but maybe is just not comfortable on TV.

• Love 5

If JD, indeed has his own place, I hope that he comes home there after a day of whatever he does do and downs a few brewskis and plays Call of Duty or some other MMRPG and enjoys life away from Duggarville.

I hope he doesn't give Josh a key.

• Love 4

The real food table was probably provided by Tacos 4 Life. I still didn't think it was enough food for all those people.

The cookie baking was a pure joke. I make those decorated cookies and they take time and effort. They rolled the dough way too thin first off, secondly if you have never worked with royal icing making cookies for a party=disaster. Cookies take time, patience and skill. Sierra and Joy should just stick to chocolate covered strawberries and Oreos. Oh and for you guys wondering why she put in powered sugar I think it was to aborb the moisture in the creme cheese.

My pancreas just fell out.

• Love 13

Don't forget that JD admitted to living at home in the GMA interview a month ago. His answer was based on what he's done to prepare for a wife. He has a house, but like the Maxwell sons, he will live at home until he marries.

• Love 5

Tabbygirl, I didn't get the food thing either. None of them were loaded down with huge backpacks or grocery sacks, so what the hell did they do, bring one box of rice and a bag of beans for twenty people? The whole thing is such a sham.

• Love 7

If JD, indeed has his own place, I hope that he comes home there after a day of whatever he does do and downs a few brewskis and plays Call of Duty or some other MMRPG and enjoys life away from Duggarville.

But...but...but didn't JD insist less than a month ago on GMA that they were all still living in the TTH?

The "find JD a wife!!@!!" campaign must have kicked into high gear!

• Love 3

What really caught my attention, and turned my stomach, was as she and Joy were making cookies, neither wore plastic gloves. Especially when making those generic Oreo cookie things, Sierra was scraping the cream cheese out of the package with her bare fingers, they then continued to roll them into balls with their bare hands. I don't remember if they had their hair pulled back. Then, when someone was putting the food out at the shower, you could see they licked their fingers when putting one of the plates down.

I find it very strange that Sierra's best friend is an 18 year old. She has to be in her 30's.

First of all - Sierra is doing this shit on national TV (making food in a non-commercial kitchen for catering purposes, etcetera) and doesn't bother to observe the most basic food handling rules? (Clean hands, hair secured away from face or in a hairnet, most food handlers now wear latex gloves while working AND DO NOT LICK THEIR FINGERS...) I wish her luck with that. The only reason why she's still getting away with it is I'm guessing the state of Arkansas is less than vigilant about stuff like requiring a food handler's permit and acceptable sanitation for anyone who's a "party planner"/caterer. And hey, Nancy, it really doesn't matter if it's a scripted TV show; most dim bulbs know that food poisoning's not a joke.

I'm not surprised at all that Sierra's BFF is 18. When did Sierra have her first baby? It's not like she's hangin' with other women her age or has an independent thought. Plus, there's the mentoring angle. I'm sure the Duggars think that Sierra is a role model; she's popped out five at what -- 25 years old? She's exactly what they want their daughters to emulate.

On Valentine's Day she was selling her chocolate covered strawberries and cookies on the Internet, which is also illegal without a license from the Arkansas Department of Health.  And, yes, she is required to either use gloves or utensils when handling food – never just bare hands – and the kitchen where the food is prepared must have regular inspections by the ADH.

http://www.healthy.arkansas.gov/programsServices/environmentalHealth/foodProtection/Pages/FrequentlyAskedQuestions.aspx

I also made a response about food sanitation further down the page. It makes me sick to my stomach to know that they think it's cute and funny to lick their fingers, etcetera, while preparing food.

Question: Will the Arkansas Department of Heath actually follow up on this?

Don't forget that JD admitted to living at home in the GMA interview a month ago. His answer was based on what he's done to prepare for a wife. He has a house, but like the Maxwell sons, he will live at home until he marries.

We owe each other a Coke for picking up on the GMA response vs. last night's "I've moved out, bitches!"

• Love 5

I almost felt bad for JD bc he sounded so down and desperate when he said -- lord willing I'll find a wife, have some kids and build my own playhouse. The look on his face suggested he didn't thing it'd happen. You feel bad for the restricted life they lead where they have no chances to meet anyone or maybe have w chance once a yr at the homeschooling conference which he's likely aged out of bc he's 26 -- finished school a while ago and in their world should be homeschooling a few of his own kids now and may be thought of as "weird" in that fundie setting bc he's single.

• Love 6

So it appears that Joy Anna, age 18, is the most mature and independent of the Duggar clan. She will be the next Duggar to be married and will live near Sierra.

This brainwashing really disturbs me. First they suck the tomboy out of Joy and now they're doing it with Hannie, you never see her with Jackson anymore. It's upsetting to me that someone with Joy's assertive, confident style, and seeming intelligence will never go to college or even a trade school. She could kick butt in the real world, as I suspect Hannie would too, but both have been firmly planted on the path to early SAHMotherhood. 

• Love 6

The "find JD a wife!!@!!" campaign must have kicked into high gear

I can't believe not ONE of you fun loving girls have sent your application in! I would just for the share hilarity of it but I don't want to be Mrs. Robinson Duggar #2! Just as well. My true next husband is John Stamos anyway. I'm just going to go the the prayer closet now and pray he becomes mine all mine. lol (sorry but it's a cold miserable day in Chicago I just need a good laugh)

• Love 9

This seems sad. It reminds me of the olden days when girls made things for their "hope chests" - and of course sometimes hopes remained unfulfilled.

John, go enjoy YOUR HOME. You appear to be a kind, hard-working, and trustworthy young man. Don't accept chains just because your brother messed up. And again, don't give Josh a key, especially if you don't live there.

• Love 8

When Jessa was with her 'friends' she faded into the background. Jinger all but disappeared at her car flipping auction and roadside sale. When Joy was with her 'best friend' and stranger baking cookies she held her own. Just an observation. 

• Love 4

just wanted to point out Sierra was the only one with her hair in a ponytail while preparing food. Also JD said he had his own place, he never said he lived there.

I dont understand. Why would you own a place and not live in it?
  • Love 3

But...but...but didn't JD insist less than a month ago on GMA that they were all still living in the TTH?

The "find JD a wife!!@!!" campaign must have kicked into high gear!

I have a feeling that they filmed the Q&A with the guys that they showed during the Willis show pretty recently to help the sagging ratings with the sly reminder to keep watching.

Poor Nancy must be shitting her pants to stoop to such an obvious ploy.

I have a feeling that they filmed the Q&A with the guys that they showed during the Willis show pretty recently to help the sagging ratings with the sly reminder to keep watching.

Poor Nancy must be shitting her pants to stoop to such an obvious ploy.

Who is Nancy?  

(edited)

Who is Nancy?  

Nancy Daniels, the brainiac in charge of TLC who has fantasies such as "the Duggars still have millions and millions of fans" and that those who oppose them are a "small, vocal group."

Edited by Aja
  • Love 11

It's a Gothard type fundie thing to be under the "umbrella of protection" so stay at home until married even if they own a house.  The Maxwells had a son with a house he didn't live in also. 

• Love 4
(edited)

It's a Gothard type fundie thing to be under the "umbrella of protection" so stay at home until married even if they own a house.  The Maxwells had a son with a house he didn't live in also. 

It's a cultural thing too. Being Italian we stay home til the day we get married at least in my generation we did.

As for JD maybe he is socking his money away if he has rentals. Smart thing to do. I wonder what ever happened to his bank house he supposedly got for clearing the land?

Edited by Fuzzysox
  • Love 4

I almost felt bad for JD bc he sounded so down and desperate when he said -- lord willing I'll find a wife, have some kids and build my own playhouse. The look on his face suggested he didn't thing it'd happen.

I felt bad for him as well. JD is a little derpy, but he seems like a nice guy at heart. Unfortunately, I think Josh's stench has tainted the Duggar boys. People are going to see a brother close in age and wonder if he was involved in similar behavior. It's completely unfair, but usually how it goes. Look how fast Marge bailed when the scandals came out.

I also think what hurts JD is that he's shy and laid back. I can't see him taking the initiative to talk to a girl or let his interest be known. The Duggar kids are so poorly socialized they either a) lack confidence (Jana, JD, Jinger) or b) are completely deluded about their attractiveness and appeal (Josh, Jessa, Josiah).

• Love 11

As for JD maybe he is socking his money away if he has rentals. Smart thing to do. I wonder what ever happened to his bank house he supposedly got for clearing the land?

It's the same house.  It is on the same street where Jill and Derick lived right after they married.

• Love 1
(edited)

I love the idea of a quiet spot. They have an industrial kitchen with many adult supervisors so make use of that to play 'kitchen'. I would love to sneak in and fill (the treehouse) with 'banned' books. 

You mean like encyclopedias?  Because I think that is what would do them the most good.  But they are probably the books Ma and Pa Duggar fear the most. God forbid any of these kids learn there is a whole other world out there once you get beyond the Tontitown City Dump.

Edited by Celia Rubenstein
  • Love 8

There was something weird though, when (Kristen's)  father was talking to her while she was blindfolded (I would have REFUSED the blindfold!) and she just seemed frightened for a split second and I didn't like that at all. Made me mad about the whole situation. But she relaxed when her husband started talking to her.

THAT was a weird ass moment!  

What was she so disturbed by?  Surely she realized she was being led into a "surprise" shower by that point.  Why did the presence of her father freak her out so much?  Is it not her personal family norm for dad to attend a shower, so him being there threw her for a loop?  Was it the semi-creepy way he was sort of whispering to her?  Does she have a bad relationship with him or something?   

It was all incredibly odd and made me really uncomfortable, too.  

• Love 5

THAT was a weird ass moment!

What was she so disturbed by? Surely she realized she was being led into a "surprise" shower by that point. Why did the presence of her father freak her out so much? Is it not her personal family norm for dad to attend a shower, so him being there threw her for a loop? Was it the semi-creepy way he was sort of whispering to her? Does she have a bad relationship with him or something?

It was all incredibly odd and made me really uncomfortable, too.

For me what made it odd was how Kristen jumped like she was genuinely scared, not momentarily startled in a "happy surprise" kind of way. I know we shouldn't judge based on two minutes of video footage, but the dynamic between them was skeevy.

• Love 3