Type keyword(s) to search

Sisters In Law - General Discussion

• Start Topic

What in the fresh hell is this mess? Phaedra from RHOA needs to tell these people how being on a reality show messed up her legal career.

Would you trust a lawyer with an N carved into her head? I kept thinking of Black-ish, when Dre tells Bow she looked liked Allen Iverson pretending to be a doctor when she but her hair in braids spelling out Bow. SMDH

(edited)

I'm in love with this show. 

I love Jolanda's outfits (let's be honest, I covet them)

I like Monique and Juanita.

I love to hate Rhonda and Vivian's nonsense.

And I like seeing the ladies working with their clients.

Edited by Gillian Rosh
  • Love 1

ITA with all PPs. I enjoy the behind the scenes work on their cases, that is such a unique slant. Apparently, the show and concept was Juanita's idea, she came up with the title, and brought the group together. I found this interview very interesting. http://forwardtimes.com/sisters-in-law/

Rhonda is using the fact that she is a millionaire to bully others and rub their noses in it. Just because you are wealthy from a huge settlement at your old law firm, does not make you better than everyone else. I tried to find out how much her own law settlement for discrimination was, but it's sealed and confidential. She deems her corporate law as more important than the others who are out there saving and changing people's lives, "All you do is put criminals back on the street." She imperiously proclaimed at the gun shop today. I don't think I could be her friend for long, so far, she hasn't shown one good side to her. Even with her husband, she is haughty, harsh, and demanding. Actually, she did have empathy for the client who was raped at the apartment complex. She picks and chooses the cases she works on. Their firm has 2 associate lawyers, her husband and herself are the only 2 partners, It was smart for her to use her first settlement to invest in herself and her own business. She is smart in business and law, but seems to be the troublemaker of the group. She is a horrible hostess, RHOBH ladies would be in a snit for all her etiquette faux pas at her party. Funny how the rich girl couldn't raise enough money to break even at the fundraising event. Lol! That was hilarious, Perhaps if she spent less time insulting her guests and more time being warm and we,coming, she would have made more money.

Vivian, the self-appointed matriarch is also on her own cloud of importance. I thought how she takes credit for others successes very irksome. Why does Juanita let her get away with it? I loved the scene with Tiye (newbie), where she pretty much refused to bend down and kiss the ring. There will be more fireworks that way for sure.

Jolanda is my favorite and going to be the breakout of the show. Her fashion sense is on point. She has the scrolled N shaved in her hair, it's not waxed, tattooed or permanent. Once her hair grows out it will fade. Her height with the 6 inch heels, shaved head and banging bod makes her look intimidating, but she has such a soft side to her. She is the only one so far that is really doing something else for the community with her training series, her activism, and her running for the school board. She keeps it real, is assertive without being mean, and is a great lawyer (from what we've seen so far). Linda's case is so interesting, I hope she doesn't have to go to prison for Detroit's murder. Linda has had a hard life, but her best decision was picking Jo as her lawyer.

I'm not liking Katrina Pierson, the Trump spokesperson black Republican. I actually went online and read some of her blog posts and tweets, I could see why her views and opinions would rub liberal Democrats the wrong way. On the campaign trail, she is as duplicitous and two-faced as Trump himself. Hopefully she will disappear into the ether from whence she came since she is not part of the core group anyway.

Monique, I was a little perturbed when she did her intro and she focused so much on prayer and spirituality. Yes, God does have a place in law, but I hope she spends more time in preparation and study for her clients' sake. She was not prepared for Linda's monitoring hearing, to the extent that Jolanda had to come back and fight to win the argument with the same judge, It was a shady move to bring Katrina to Rhonda's house without a heads up...all the fighting could have been eliminated if she has called or texted Rhonda ahead of time.

Juanita, I'm getting the vibe that she's in this show for the money and notoriety. She is a public defender, so she's making peanuts compared to the other ladies. Plus, it sounds like when she and Rhonda were partners 10 years ago while she was going through her divorce, Juanita may have siphoned business funds for her own personal expenses. It will be interesting to see if Rhonda will let that go or will keep bringing it up just out of spite.

Okay, I'm tuned in for the entire season. Let's have some snark and fun PTV posters!

• Love 2
(edited)
. Apparently, the show and concept was Juanita's idea, she came up with the title, and brought the group together.

That's cool to find out. Juanita is one of my favorites. She is fun, but without bringing a lot of drama.

I loved the scene with Tiye (newbie), where she pretty much refused to bend down and kiss the ring

Well said! Vivian really does think she's The Godfather, but her whole I-am-the-matriarch-you-must-respect-me shtick is tired.

I don't even know why Katrina Pierson on this show, unless it's to get publicity for herself - or worse, for her awful candidate. Blech! She can exit stage left any time now.

Edited by Gillian Rosh
I don't even know why Katrina Pierson on this show, unless it's to get publicity for herself - or worse, for her awful candidate. Blech! She can exit stage left any time now.

I don't know why any of the women are on this show, or even why they're friends. I had hoped it was going to be about lawyering, but so far it's been 80% arguments, grudges, recriminations, and shouting.

The look on Rhonda's son's face when she joined his party in her bathing suit, oy. Following the letter of the law while completely undermining its intent much? "I promised I wouldn't wear a bikini." I guess we should be grateful she didn't come out naked.

I was so relived that Linda got a no-bill from the grand jury! The penal system intending to revoke her bond and throw her back in jail because she's poor was disgraceful. I did think it was snotty of Jolanda to put Monique on blast to Linda for "losing" the motion about home monitoring. We as viewers have no idea what Jolanda could possibly have argued that was any different, and that judge was completely intractable to Monique.

I like that Tiye is going to be on the show. She doesn't have the history the others do so I hope will be wrangling with everyone a lot less. She doesn't back down from a fight, though. Well, the whole cast are extremely strong-minded and not about to just take a Percocet and let something go.

The above article said Jolanda was on Survivor in 2005 and was the first person voted off. I can see that!

• Love 1

I did appreciate that, even though Monique is very religious, she was still accepting of Jolanda and Cherrise joining her Bible study group.

Monique also mentioned that if she ever needed to choose between Vivian and Jolanda, it would be Vivian (because: freaking matriarch). Oh, please! In what world can a person not be individual friends with two women just because they don't like each other? The whole "friendship circle" is odder and odder to me as we go along. I'd need a corkboard with photos, pushpins and string to keep all the separate feuds and shit-stirring straight.

• Love 1
I was so relived that Linda got a no-bill from the grand jury! The penal system intending to revoke her bond and throw her back in jail because she's poor was disgraceful. I did think it was snotty of Jolanda to put Monique on blast to Linda for "losing" the motion about home monitoring. We as viewers have no idea what Jolanda could possibly have argued that was any different, and that judge was completely intractable to Monique.

I thought that was a good insight into how the criminal justice system punishes people for being poor. I'm glad they showed it, because it's easy enough to ignore the criminalization of poverty.

I'm over Vivian and her matriarch nonsense. And I'm glad Tiye doesn't put up with her b.s.

The whole "friendship circle" is odder and odder to me as we go along. I'd need a corkboard with photos, pushpins and string to keep all the separate feuds and shit-stirring straight.

Seriously!

Edited by Gillian Rosh

I'm starting to fast-forward through all the squabble n' shout scenes to try to focus on the legal cases, but it does occur to me that the circle would have 5000% less discord if they kicked out Rhonda. Talk about an entitled, rude snob. If she cares so much about her brain-damaged client, she should give her a $1M or so upfront so the woman can support herself waiting for the justice system to take its damned time.

Juanita's client was a law-breaking dumbass to hit and run, but I do feel some sympathy for him because anyone can freak out and react badly in a life and death situation like that. Probation should be punishment enough, though. If he can't stay on the straight and narrow after being given that chance then sure, jail him.

• Love 2

I just heard what Juanita's client is in trouble for. He hit someone, killed the person, and ran on foot away? Ouch. That's big. Now, did Juanita not prep her client for the stand? That kid crying, whew, that hurt to watch. 

Still watching episode. Will be back.

I've been watching this show from the beginning, and i agree with some of you that the law practicing scenes are the best parts of this show. The Sisters-in-Law circle drama however, should be toned down.  Most specifically, Rhonda's drama. I know she defends victims who've been maligned by someone or some organization, but does that give her leeway to play the victim in her personal life? Juanita may have gossiped a little to the others about their business history, but dragged her name through the mud as she keeps claiming...no way. Rhonda's hysterics about the same issues, especially after supposedly mending fences, is just too much.

As for Jolanda and Vivian...imo  maybe if they championed and praised anyone but themselves a little more, there wouldn't be any animosity between them. I like them both as characters on this show and hope to see them as friends and colleagues again, not rivals.

• Love 1

At this point, Tiye is the only one I want to watch. Jolanda & Monique are ok. Rhonda & Vivian need to go, especially Rhonda. She is so gauche and self-absorbed. For all her millions with a s, she should look into a natural blending foundation. 

I'm curious about all the appearances of ongoing court cases and negotiations. What about client confidentiality? It's making me uncomfortable, as much as I appreciate seeing the ladies in their professional element.

• Love 3
(edited)
2 hours ago, sarkygal said:

I'm curious about all the appearances of ongoing court cases and negotiations. What about client confidentiality? It's making me uncomfortable, as much as I appreciate seeing the ladies in their professional element.

The clients must have signed releases, but I don't really know what's in it for them to have done so. Getting paid, perhaps? There may already be cameras in some courtrooms and that stuff is public record anyway, but we're seeing scenes that should be behind closed doors.

Edited by lordonia
On May 7, 2016 at 0:36 AM, lordonia said:

The clients must have signed releases, but I don't really know what's in it for them to have done so. Getting paid, perhaps? There may already be cameras in some courtrooms and that stuff is public record anyway, but we're seeing scenes that should be behind closed doors.

Maybe the clients have already had the cases decided and these are reenactments? I couldn't imagine letting a show like this do my story while it is ongoing.

• Love 2

I am piecing my responses because I am catching up on the series. I really like it. It reminds me of what I could've been. 

But

I can't stand Rhonda. Even if you are sheltered, you learn the answers to the questions she's pretending not to know from cable tv. Oh, she didn't watch Idris on The Wire? Girl, bye.

I can be prissy-and my ass is faking. Takes one to know one.

• Love 1
(edited)
On April 9, 2016 at 4:21 AM, Spiderella2 said:

Three things:

1. Why would Jalonda let that kid wear earrings to court?

2. Why is Rhonda acting like a gift of 10k is a lot? Uh they give Range Rovers on Sweet Sixteen. I mean, you say you the shizz nik. Also, shouldn't he already have that in his account?

3. What's with the provocative swimsuit Rhonda wore? An aside: Her husband seems like a punk.

Edited by announcergirl
I messed up

I'm always wondering about that, too. Like you said, maybe the clients sign releases, but I still feel a bit uncomfortable watching the clients' cases being discussed on national TV.

• Love 1

Rhonda is terrible, I love Tiye and I sort of like the Trump supporter. I´m just on episode 4, I hope she´ll stand her ground and really manage to shake the "liberal" ladies up some more. Their arguments against her are so funny.

• Love 1
2 hours ago, halkatla said:

Rhonda is terrible, I love Tiye and I sort of like the Trump supporter. I´m just on episode 4, I hope she´ll stand her ground and really manage to shake the "liberal" ladies up some more. Their arguments against her are so funny.

Rhonda would be miserable to hang around. She'd need a serious ego check, make under, and telling off from someone she respects. Someone that she is envious would just make her bravado worse. She needs to be told that the loud mouth act, over-talking people, being rude and pretentiousness is not becoming. I think she's got it going on, frankly, but it can all be taken away in an instant.

• Love 1

If Rhonda happens to see or hear about any of the online shade being thrown her way, I guaran-damn-tee you she believes the only reason anyone doesn't like her is because we're all just jealous.

• Love 2
On June 3, 2016 at 6:48 PM, lordonia said:

If Rhonda happens to see or hear about any of the online shade being thrown her way, I guaran-damn-tee you she believes the only reason anyone doesn't like her is because we're all just jealous.

And I wouldn't bet against you. And it's sad because, by all intents and purposes, she seems to have made it. She's gotta work on her insides, her insecurities.

(edited)

I just binge-watched the entire first season.  It was bugging me because I couldn't figure out who Vivian reminded me of, then I remembered!  Diahann Carroll!!

I really liked this series; it's a lot of the usual women-squabbles and talking over each other, but the real legal cases added something special and different to this show.  Did they get renewed for Season 2?? 

Here is Vivian on the top, and Diahann Carroll on the bottom.  It was hard to find a still photo where they looked similar; it was more apparent while watching the show and a lot of Vivian's expressions and mannerisms added to the similarities for me.

vivian.jpg

dihanncarroll.jpg

Edited by ShowsILoveToHate
  • Love 2